People rooted in the Soviet Union will say:
- Ah, chlorophytum! Has bothered since childhood.
Indeed, in the 70's and 80's this plant was terribly popular. You could meet him in every apartment, not to mention schools, kindergartens, hospitals, enterprises. This is due not only to the fact that more exotic types of indoor ornamental plants were “found” only in the greenhouses of the botanical gardens, but also because the chlorophytum reproduces easily, takes root without problems and does not cause any trouble in the care.
Over time, he was ousted from the premises by more modern residents and a true friend almost forgotten. However, due to the extremely beneficial effects on humans, chlorophytum is again becoming popular. Especially people who lead a healthy lifestyle and people who simply don’t have time to do special care, and want to have a green friend, pay attention to him.
Chlorophytum (Chlorophytum) got its name from two Latin words - "cloros", which means green, and "phyton" - a plant. And no more features, just a green plant. Maybe this is his secret. Although it is not only pure green, and with white, tangerine stripes, but the main thing is green, fast-growing lush green.
Its native habitat is the tropics, subtropics of Africa, Asia and America. It grows on volcanic and sedimentary soils in the floodplains of rivers, along streams and reservoirs. He loves moisture, but, due to the special structure of the roots, can withstand drought. The root is branched, fleshy with many thickenings, where the plant accumulates moisture, as it were, forms reserves for a rainy day. Due to the strongly developing root system with favorable humidity, chlorophytum is used in its homeland to strengthen slopes, slopes, that is, to combat soil erosion, gullying and landslides.
- The leaves Chlorophytum has a long, free-hanging, saturated green color, there are varieties with white, orange longitudinal stripes. Leaves collected in the rosette. In the wild, there are specimens up to 1 m in diameter. In the conditions of an apartment the plant can reach 50 cm in diameter.
- The flowering period falls on May-June. Chlorophytum throws out a long peduncle, on which several small white florets appear. These flowers have no decorative interest. Later on the peduncles appears small "baby" with aerial roots. A strong plant with good humidity can be all "hung" with children.
To which family to include chlorophytum, scientists have not yet decided. In the early version, this plant was attributed to the family "Lily", later, according to the Royal Botanical Gardens in Kew - this is the family "Asparagus", some include chlorophytum to the family "Agave".
In its native expanses, chlorophytum is very common due to the rapid growth and reproduction by “whiskers”. There is an African tribe that uses the plant as a talisman for mother and child. Aborigines also consider it healing for pregnant women.
Swedish botanist Karl Thunberg first described chlorophytum (after an expedition to Africa at the end of the 18th century) as a representative of perennial evergreen herbs.
Home care for chlorophytum
Chlorophytum green crested care at home photo
In this article, from the very beginning, the emphasis was placed on the fact that chlorophytum is a very unpretentious and hardy plant. He will live on any soil, in the sun and in the shade, with abundant watering and with interruptions in watering. However, this section is devoted to the conditions in which this tropical assimilator is comfortable, how he will be able to reveal the maximum of his decorative qualities.
- Paying attention to the natural habitat of chlorophytum, we note that the temperature regime of growth is quite wide: from +15 to +27 degrees.
- Can make a short decrease to +10 degrees.
- It feels great without direct sunlight or under a short sun.
- In the summer, it responds well to “walks” - you can set flowerpots on loggias and balconies.
- Does not tolerate an absolute lack of natural light.
It should be noted that the "striped" copies are more sensitive to lighting: in its absence, the stripes become less pronounced.
As for irrigation, remember that chlorophytum settles in the floodplains of the rivers, which means it prefers moist soil. It is recommended to water the plants twice a week in the summer and once in the winter. As usual, for indoor plants, use separated water. Do not water in the center of the bush, but moisten the soil from the edge of the pot.
- The advantage of this plant is the very thickening in the roots, where water accumulates, so that chlorophytum can withstand a break in watering for up to 10 days. Yes, it will fade, “ears” will lower, but will survive.
- Abundant watering provokes the growth of the root system, so that the roots will stick out of the pot.
- Of course, the plant should not be poured - it can lead to the development of root rot.
- There are no special complaints about the humidity of the air; in case of strong heat, if desired, spray the bush with an airbrush.
How to care for chlorophytum at home Chlorophytum winged or orange
Chlorophytum is a pet, so keep it neat by removing dried or yellowed leaves. Remember that the "kids" on the layouts pull the sap of the mother plant, so you should remove them immediately if you do not plan to multiply the chlorophytum.
- Any neutral soil is suitable for chlorophytum: a universal substrate, or a substrate for begonias, palm trees, roses.
- You can cook the soil mix yourself. To do this, take two parts of leaf and sod land, and one part of humus and sand. Do not be amiss to add a little coal.
- At the bottom of the pot is mandatory drainage - expanded clay, vermiculite, clay shards.
- At the growth stage of a young plant, it can be fed with mineral or organic fertilizers, and adult plants once a year, in spring.
Chlorophytum orange will require a little more care. To maintain the brightness of its petioles and leaves, it is necessary to regularly remove lateral processes, hide it from the direct sun (this is a critical parameter). Weekly supplementation with complex fertilizers in low doses is also required. Once a month, add iron to the irrigation water (Ferrovit, iron chelate). During the flowering period, also remove the flowers, because they will weaken the plant, and this is a minus to decorativeness.
Vegetative reproduction and transplantation of indoor chlorophytum Seed reproduction
Reproduction of chlorophytum by dividing the bush photo
One of the points of care for chlorophytum is its transplant. The fact that the plant needs a transplant, you will be shown these signs:
- the roots sprouted from the hole in the bottom of the pot,
- no new shoots and flowering
- the growth of the plant stopped, it seemed to stop.
Then pick up the pot for a quarter more and transplant the plant in early spring. Experienced growers recommend doing this annually. Since the transplant rules are identical with the rules of vegetative propagation, we will describe them later.
Chlorophytum can be propagated in the following ways:
- "Children" - small leaf rosettes at the end of the peduncle,
- side layers,
- division of the bush.
Different types of chlorophytum suggest one or more methods of reproduction.
Reproduction of chlorophytum with rosettes
Houseplant chlorophytum breeding rosettes photo
Crested and curly chlorophytum throws out a mustache, so it is easiest to propagate them with leaf rosettes.
- From the mother plant you need to separate the "baby" and put it rooted in the water or sand and peat mixture.
- The roots are formed fairly quickly and when they reach a length of 3 cm, the young plant can be planted in a permanent place.
- Let's be honest that you can skip this stage by dropping a leaf rosette right into the ground, just a florist is calmer when the plant still has a root.
Of course, this method is not suitable for Cape and winged chlorophytum due to the absence of "whiskers".
Another way - the division of the bush
How to transplant chlorophytum at home and divide the bush
Such a procedure is performed not only for reproduction, but also for the rejuvenation of chlorophytum. Be sure to hold it every three to four years.
- You must first moisten the pot with chlorophytum, remove the plant from the pot after a couple of hours, cut it into pieces with a sharp knife, leaving roots and shoots on each divide.
- Remove damaged, dried and rotted roots, trying not to shake out the whole earthen room.
- Place the planting material in pots with the finished soil mixture and drainage at the bottom, sprinkle the roots gently and pour in plenty.
- As a rule, chlorophytum transports easily. This method is suitable for all room chlorophytum.
The winged Chlorophytum does not produce “whiskers”, but it forms side layers, which can also serve as planting material.
The most troublesome way - seed multiplication
It is more suitable for professional breeders. However, if you want to - dare.
- Seed germination is quite low - about thirty percent, so pre-soak the gauze with the seeds for a day in the water, however, the water must be changed every 4 hours.
- Then spread the seeds on the surface of the mixture of peat and sand and moisten the soil with a spray gun.
- Cover the seed container with film or glass and place in a warm place.
- Every day, the film or glass must be cleaned, removing condensate, and airing the seedlings.
- The germination will take 30-40 days.
- After the appearance of 2-3 true leaves - you can repotted to a permanent place.
- Last week before transplanting, open the greenhouse completely so that the seedlings are accustomed to the ambient temperature and humidity.
- Seedlings or young "kids" are better placed at once in a few pieces in a pot, then the pot will look more magnificent.
Diseases and pests, symptoms of improper care
Why leaves dry at chlorophytum What to do
Chlorophytum is surprisingly resistant to various diseases, the most common is root rot that occurs when the plant overflows. About this plant necessarily signal to you. And the rest of the errors in the care immediately affect the chlorophytum.
Consider the main symptoms:
- Leaves drooped, wilted, although the soil is wet. Definitely - overflow and little light. Urgently transplant, at the same time remove rotten roots, sprinkle the cut areas with coal, change the place to a more lighted one, reduce the frequency of watering,
- Brown stripes appeared in the middle of the sheet. The reason is again in the root rot and overflow, there may still be too big a pot for this plant. The treatment methods are the same, only replant the bush in a smaller capacity,
- Chlorophytum dry leaf tips, then there may be two reasons - either too dry air, or overflow, and maybe stagnation of water in the pan. It should moisten the air around the plant, pay attention to the pan, the frequency of watering. Put a container with water near the plant - this will increase the humidity of the air. Also, the reason may be an excess of sodium in the soil, you should simply transplant the flower into a light nutrient soil.
- Leaf dries from the stem - The reason for the rare watering in the hot season and very dry air. Removing it is easy - add watering and spraying the plant,
- The appearance of brown spots on the leaves indicates sunburn. Only one way out - remove from the sun, well, or create an additional shadow,
- Striped chlorophytes suddenly began to fade, lose their coloring brightness - This is a lack of nutrients and light. It's time to feed the plant, and can already transplant, change the place,
- Gorgeous, green foliage breaks easily, so move from place to place carefully, without causing mechanical damage. Also such damages can make pets - then not to avoid the broken leaves. Unfortunately, they can not be restored.
If we talk about pests - insects, then rare guests can be aphid, nematode, mealybug or thrips. It will be necessary to apply insecticides, but in no case do not exceed the recommended concentration, and if the colonies of pests are small, then try to do with folk methods.
Crested chlorophytum or Chlorophytum comosum comosum
Chlorophytum crested Chlorophytum comosum variegata photo
The most popular variety of chlorophytum, in the original has long lanceolate leaves of bright green color. On the long (80-100 cm) arrow, 5-7 nondescript bright flowers bloom, and later a baby appears.
Some of the more decorative, striped varieties of Chlorophytum Crested are popular now:
- "Variegatum" - chlorophytum, in which the leaves along the edges are outlined with light stripes,
- "Vittatum" - this type of white narrow strip occupies the central part of the sheet,
- "Mboyeti" - a plant with dark green sheets. The leaf is wider and has a wavy edge - an interesting shape,
- "Atlantic - this chlorophytum has thin curly leaves,
- “Ocean - sharp, less long leaves, bordered with white stripes. The bush looks neat,
- "Maculatum" - makes a variety of colors, as the stripes on the sheet are yellow,
- “Curty Locks” is a variety with wide white-green striped leaves that fold into a loose helix.
Chlorophytum Curly Bonnie
Chlorophytum curly Bonnie Chlorophytum comosum ‘Bonnie’ photo
It is very similar to chlorophytum crested, but its leaves do not hang down. Short leaves are twisted into a spiral, which gives the bush a naughty look. In the middle of the sheet is a strip of cream color. The whole bush looks compact.
Chlorophytum Cape Chlorophytum capense photo
Herbaceous perennial with green wide sheets 3 cm wide and up to 60 in length. Throws out short peduncles with small white flowers, at the end of flowering does not form "little children" on the arrows. This is its main difference from the chlorophytum crested.
Chlorophytum winged, it is orange or Orchinostar
Chlorophytum orange home care Chlorophytum amaniense photo
Not at all like their fellows. A very beautiful plant reaches a height of 40 cm. Dark green leaves on elongated orange petioles are alternately placed in a rosette. Throws a short peduncle that resembles a corn cob.
In home gardening there are such varieties:
- "GreenOrange" - a wide leaf has a pronounced tangerine band and is placed on a bright petiole in tone of the band,
- “FireFlash” - is very similar to the previous grade, only on the sheet there are only reflections of the orange stem.
1. Air Purification
Chlorophytum is one of the most effective green air purifiers. It absorbs carbon monoxide, acetone, formaldehyde, nicotine and many other harmful substances. One of those flowers that just need to be grown in the kitchen, so that we breathe less carbon monoxide gas from the stove, in the rooms where we smoke, to minimize nicotine, almost everywhere where we use furniture made of chipboard that can emit formaldehyde.
2. Air humidification
This criterion is important not only to people with lung diseases, but also to everyone who cares about youthful skin. Chlorophytum accumulates and, of course, evaporates moisture, thereby increasing the humidity in urban desiccated apartments.
There is a statistics that one adult chlorophytum is able to destroy all pathogenic microflora on two square meters (very approximately), and also humidify the air (because you water it).
3. For fans of Feng Shui
According to legends, chlorophytum brings peace and harmony to the house, because its second name is “Family Happiness”. Near the flower reigns calm, disputes subside, conflicts. He successfully copes not only with air purification, but also with aura purification, eliminates distortions on the personal front, brings harmony into the life of a busy person.
4. For cat lovers
These owners of houses and apartments often eat the leaves of chlorophytum, as this helps to clear the stomach. It is not toxic, but it is better to buy green germinated grass at the pet store.
As you can see, chlorophytum is a green corner of your house, also a filter and a humidifier. A joy to the eyes, health benefits.
"Portrait" of chlorophytum
Chlorophytum will be a colorful addition to your collection. He gives a lush juicy greens, from which, over time, there will be a lot of hanging "whiskers" with children. Its distinctive feature is fleshy roots that can accumulate precious moisture, because the plant is able to tolerate watering delays. And if you provide regular watering and make at least a minimum of fertilizer, soon there will be many children.
The diameter and height of an adult plant is about 50 cm. As seen in the photo, the leaves are long, beautiful, and have the shape of an arc. Foliage color from green to pale or cream. There are variegated varieties. Now popular species with broad lanceolate leaves.
The plant itself has the shape of a rosette, from which succulent leaves, 80 or even 100 cm long, fall down in a beautiful cascade. They are favorably complemented by young children hanging from the branches and small white flowers.
The flower is very similar to a star. Located at the very end of the long shoots. Blooming chlorophytum looks even more elegant. Then tiny star flowers turn into babies. With their help, the plant takes root very quickly.
Растение подвешивают на стену, ставят на подставку, полочку или горку. На столе, подоконнике оно также отлично смотрится.
Живет около 10 лет.
На самом деле, хлорофитум покрывает кору деревьев, он эпифит. Его родина – Южная Африка. From the 19th century, he came to Europe.
Useful properties of chlorophytum
The beneficial properties of chlorophytum have long been known. They are even scientifically proven. Its succulent leaves can purify the air and even remove carbon monoxide particles. Therefore, it is placed in kitchens and in living rooms. Also traditionally placed in schools, clinics, government offices. This representative of the flora has a positive effect on the person, creates an atmosphere of comfort.
For better efficiency, it is necessary that the socket grows well and gives the maximum number of children. This contributes to good watering and at least a few hours a day in the sun. Then it will release the maximum oxygen, while absorbing formaldehyde, nitrogen oxides, gas evaporation, etc.
According to signs and superstitions, this flower brings happiness to the house.
Types and varieties of chlorophytum
Types of chlorophytum are very diverse.
- Chlorophytum crested (Chlorophytum comosum). The most common. It is he who grows as a lot of children appear, and the long leaves form a lush green cascade. Children and create characteristic of the crest. There are a number of forms:
- Chlorophytum comosum vittatum. In the middle of the sheet, it has a characteristic white band (one or several at once).
- Chlorophytum comosum variegatum. White stripes in it adorn the edges of the leaves.
- Chlorophytum comosum bonnie. This curly chlorophytum has become very popular. It has fewer leaves, and at the edges is slightly wavy, because the bush is very elegant.
- Cape (Chlorophytum capense). Sockets on the arrows are not formed. It is larger, has wider foliage.
- Chlorophytum winged (Chlorophytum amaniense). The second name is orange chlorophytum or chlorophytum orange. This exotic species has wide lanceolate leaves, long petioles. There are varieties in which the scapes are beautifully colored in an orange tint (Fire Flash). It looks very unusual and fresh. Under natural conditions, it is found in South Africa, Australia. Around the world, this variety is gaining increasing popularity. Flower growers appreciate it for decoration and unpretentiousness.
- Temperature. It is better to provide a temperature regime of 15-18 degrees, but it is able to temporarily withstand a lower temperature (up to 8 degrees).
- Humidity. The plant maintains rather dry air, does not demand regular spraying. If you want to spray the foliage, your pet will only be grateful for such attention, because in natural conditions it grows near water. Once a month it is worth washing the plant under a shower with barely warm water. This procedure will wash away the accumulated dust from the leaves, stimulate the bushes. But you should not wipe them, because the leaves are fragile, creases easily appear.
- Watering. All species love moisture, although they can withstand temporary drying of an earthy coma. Avoid over-wetting and over-drying. When improper watering the tips of the leaves dry or brown.
Water enough once a week. Summer watered more often - twice a week.
- Top dressing. For dressing it is better to use mineral fertilizers (May-September).
- Transfer. Do not replant it often. This should be done when the roots began to look out of the pot. Planting - in the spring, every 1-2 years.
- The soil. The flower is not demanding to the soil. It is better to take a loose mixture of turf, hardwood, sand (3: 2: 1).
- Lighting. The plant does not require light. It carries light and partial shade. In a room with large windows, it can even be placed in the depths. If you want the plant to be as lush as possible, place it closer to the light. If the socket is pale, it means that there is not enough light.
If the leaf ends dry
Since it is a grassy representative of the flora, its leaves are rather thin. The most vulnerable they are at the tips.
- If the tips of the leaves dry, the flower is dry or hot. Often the leaves dry out due to excess sun or irregular watering. With such manifestations, you need to establish regular watering, spray the air around the "green pet."
- If it happens that the plant turns yellow, almost the entire outlet has dried, you need not to be afraid of radical measures. The entire outlet is cut off at the root. If the root system is intact, over time it will release new leaves.
So, indoor chlorophytum is not at all such a simple plant. He has very interesting species, although even the classic crested looks flawless.
What so “takes” flower growers this plant
It's simple: it is beautiful, unpretentious, and even blooms. And of course, this is a wonderful “amulet” creature, which will turn green beautifully in pots, and if you want, even on an open balcony.
In the wild, it grows in Australia and also in southern Africa.
It is noteworthy that the botanists still do not agree on whom chlorophytum is considered a relative - lilies, asparagus or agave, since it is not clear to which family this plant belongs.
Most species begin to bloom in March. Small white stars will bloom all spring.
Important! Modern biologists are sure: this plant very cleanly cleans the air.
Therefore, it is recommended to buy it in the house, in which the repair has just ended and the owners get the unpleasant odors of new wallpaper, paint, glue, laminate and so on. Also, the "bride" copes with the smell of tobacco smoke, so many grandmothers still grow a flower in the hallways.
By the way, according to Feng Shui, a flower cleans not only the air, but also the aura of a nearby person. Another positive bonus to the pot, is not it?
Modern species of this flower
Not everyone knows, but the flower species are almost 200. True, only a few can be called relevant.
- Crested The same "grandmother's" kind, who began to enter into fashion in the second circle in our days. This popular species has many varieties - for example, not with white, but with yellow stripes, or spiral twisted leaves.
- Curly. Also known as Chlorophytum Bonnie. If the crested bush leaves hang on the sides, then this stick out with a “pistol”, that is, they twist slightly from above. Bushes such chlorophytum grows small. It is probably the most beautiful of all white-green species in terms of the color of the leaf plate, since it has a white stripe in the center, then it becomes green, and along the edges it becomes dark green.
- Laxum. He also has white stripes, but they do not go in the center, but along the edges of the green leaves. A feature of the form is that it does not form daughter outlets.
- Cape My class teacher would call him “bridegroom,” since there are no white stripes on his leaves. This species breeds only by dividing the bush, as it does not grow rosettes.
- Orange. He does not look like chlorophytum at all, but nevertheless belongs to this respected family. It is beautiful and unusual, it also blooms not with asterisks, but with something similar to a corn-cob. If you see somewhere the name “Orchid Star” or “Winged Chlorophytum”, you should know: these are synonyms for the name of this species.
What care he needs
- Shine. This is a rare home species that loves direct sunlight (although a maximum of a couple of hours a day). Eastern sill is best suited for him. After lunch, the plant prefers to be in light shade.
- Temperature. In the summer, any (so that the plant is comfortable even in a balcony drawer), and in winter - not less than 10 degrees.
- Watering. In the summer, chlorophytum needs moisture, so carry a watering can every 2-3 days. In winter, it can be watered less often, and if you let the ground dry out completely, the flower will survive this. Also, the plant responds well to wick wicking, which you can do with your own hands when transplanting a flower.
- Top dressing. In the spring and early summer, chlorophytum can be given a mixture for ornamental leaf plants. Bring it once in 14 days.
- Transfer. A good time is the end of winter and the beginning of spring. “Old men” are transplanted once every several years, young bushes - more often, once a year. By the way, in addition to pots and pots, this plant can be planted on a flowerbed (and in the fall transplanted back into the house). He is “friendly”, so he can be put in a pot with other flowers.
- The soil. Plant to taste loose, nutritious, neutral ground. Not a bad option: sand (1 part), leaf ground (2 parts), sod land (2 parts), humus (1 part).
- Disease. Rarely, but still, chlorophytum has root rot. He can also catch a bacterial infection. All these problems arise from transfusion, so water your pet infrequently and moderately. If, however, the tips of the leaves have started to dry, then on the contrary, you give the plant too little water. Or maybe chlorophytum asks to spray it (this procedure is very desirable for chlorophytum in the summer months).
- Dangerous insects. The beauty of the plant can spoil the spider mites, as well as aphid, nematode, mealybugs.
- Special care conditions. The plant liberates a mustache and expands in a pot. Therefore, many growers often carry out trimming the bush, forming a beautiful “picture” and removing all unnecessary. From mid-autumn to the beginning of winter, the plant lasts "hibernation", do not feed it, water rarely. Then it "wakes up" and may even bloom.
Description of home chlorophytum
Chlorophytum belongs to the grassy genus of the lily family. According to the Royal Botanical Gardens, it belongs to the Asparagaceae family, according to the GRIN website, the plant is in the Agave family. Chlorophytum in natural conditions grows in Australia, southern regions of Africa, Asia and America. People call him “the bride's veil”, “green lily”, “flying Dutchman”.
Monocotyledonous plant culture has drooping stems and long linear leaves that are formed by root beams. Stems in the form of an arc have small flowers that are collected in loose panicles. By the end of flowering, they become leafy and are characterized by aerial roots. Hanging stems in large quantities are formed on strong plants. The fruits are represented by small boxes.
Chlorophytum is a kind of filter for air purification, so it will be a suitable element for the kitchen: it will save the room from harmful impurities and various cooking odors. The flower contributes not only to purification, but also to air moistening. To enhance moisture exchange, the plant should be watered regularly, adding 2 to 3 tablets of activated charcoal to the soil. Some people believe that the presence of chlorophytum in the room disposes to a cozy, calm and harmonious atmosphere. Feng shui supporters believethat the flower favors the purification of the aura and the organization of life stability.
Chlorophytum: plant species
There are more than 200 types of chlorophytum in the world, but professional growers and indoor plant lovers prefer to grow only a few varieties of this flower. The most popular types of culture:
- Cape Chlorophytum. Linear and narrow-lanceolate leaves are characterized by a light green color without light stripes in the middle, which are present in many varieties of culture. Leaf plates reach a length of half a meter, and in width - 3-4 cm. The flower is distinguished by short peduncles and unattractive flowers. Child rosettes of this type are not formed. Shrub dividing is a frequent way of breeding a plant. Roots look like dense tubers.
- Chlorophytum curly. Another name for green lily is “Bonnie.” The flower is different twisting leaves and compact crown. The drawing on the sheet plates is presented in the form of a wide white strip that runs along the sheet, and a dark green border. Curly mustache grow no more than 0.5 cm in length. It blooms from spring to late summer.
- Chlorophytum Laxum . A rare species found in Russia has narrowed drooping leaves, the edges of which have a bright border. Thin leaves form a thickened rosette. The plant has no daughter processes. Flowers have a light shade.
- Chlorophytum ocean. The compact plant possesses leaves of a linear form with a length of 50–60 cm and a width of 3–3.5 cm. Light green color is characteristic of smooth leaf plates. Peduncles grow to 20 - 25 cm.
- Chlorophytum Ocean . Compact bush with yellow-green leaves grows up to 25 - 30 cm. The plant blooms every six months, pleasing the eye with white flowers. A native of South America has an extended leaf shape at the base and narrowed up.
- Chlorophytum orange. Chlorophytum is also called winged or Orchinostar. A low plant reaches a height of only 30 - 35 cm. Dark green leaves are arranged on long petioles in a pleasant pink-orange color. The species is characterized by short peduncles that look like corncobs when seeds are ripe. Famous varieties of this variety are the "Green Orange" and "Fire Flash", in which the contrast of the dark green tone of the leaf plates with the petioles of a bright orange shade is especially noticeable.
- Chlorophytum crested. Herbaceous perennial plant has a short stem with curving leaves that have an elongated-lanceolate form and a light green shade. Stellate shoots with small white flowers are formed from leaf bunches. Leaf sinuses form young specimens. Dense and white roots form the root system.
Chlorophytums are grown in table or floor pots, but they look more impressive in hanging pots.
Features of an ornamental plant
The flower surpasses other ampelous species in that it is easy to care for it. But at home the plant chlorophytum has certain peculiarities in growing:
- Flowering plant begins in March and continues throughout the growing season,
- Chlorophytum flower is characterized by winter dormancy, which lasts from October to January,
- A moisture-loving culture can lose its decorative effect, if it suffers from a lack of water,
- Flowers can be grown not only at home, but also in the garden,
- The plant looks good both separately and together with other types of crops.
For a decorative flower to look well-groomed and beautiful, it is necessary to create certain conditions for it.
For the light-loving plants need to organize a bright but diffused lighting. Best of all, it grows on the windowsills of the eastern and western windows. From the northern side, where the sun's rays rarely penetrate the room, chlorophytum also grows healthy, but it does not look so attractive anymore. Varieties with variegated foliage should put in well-lit rooms so that they do not lose their bright shades. On the south side should do the fence from the hot sun.
Chlorophytum is not very temperature sensitive. He survives well at rates in the range of +11 - 24 degrees. Significant weeping can cause disease and death of the flower. You should also check that there is no drafts in the room where it is contained.
In order for the plant to get acclimatized quickly, it is necessary for it to find a suitable soil. For the preparation of the substrate is used in equal proportions of humus, leaf and sod land with the addition of a small amount of river sand. The flower will be comfortable in a wide clay pot, in which there must be a drainage.
Chlorophytum: home care
Home care for chlorophytum consists of the following measures:
- top dressing
Chlorophytum needs frequentbut moderately moisturized. Watering is done after drying the topsoil. Abundantly the plant is watered from spring to autumn. By the winter period watering is reduced. The substrate should always be wet, then the flower will be able to grow and develop properly. Due to poor irrigation, tuberous thickenings can form.
The spraying procedure is not mandatory, although the plant welcomes excessive moisture.
This event should be carried out when thin layers of dust accumulate on the leaves. After spraying, chlorophytum will be able to filter the indoor air even better and develop more actively. In the summer season for him you can organize a shower of warm water. Since the leaf plates plant crops are fragile; experienced flower growers do not recommend wiping them with a rag.
The main supplements for chlorophytum are mineral and organic fertilizers, which are applied alternately 2 times a month. The flower needs nutrients in the spring and summer. As fertilizers you can use complex fertilizers intended for decorative leafy flowers.
Young bushes are transplanted every year, adult copies - once in 2 - 3 years. The plant needs a procedure when the root system completely takes the pot. Transplantation should be carried out in the spring. Chlorophytum transplanted transshipment method, along with a lump of old substrate. The free space in the new tank is filled with earth with the appropriate composition.
To make the bush more lush, you need to regularly pruning. But for general development, this procedure is not mandatory. Dry leaf plates should be removed promptly. Trimming is not carried out if necessary. in obtaining seeds for propagation of culture.
Seed propagation method
Chlorophytum seeds can be purchased at a specialty store or you can get them yourself by growing a home plant. Planting material should be sown in early spring.
- Because of the low percentage of germination, the seeds should be wrapped in gauze and left in a container with water for 24 hours. The fluid should be changed every 3 to 4 hours.
- Для посадки готовят почвосмесь из торфа с песком.
- Семена высевают в увлажненный субстрат, слегка вдавливая в землю.
- Емкость прикрывают стеклом или пленкой и переставляют в темное помещение с температурой +21 - 24 градуса.
- For 1 - 1.5 months, the container with planting material is regularly aired and the substrate is moistened.
- With the advent of several leaves, sprouts are transplanted into separate pots or cups with soil for an adult flower.
A week before the dive, the seedlings will need to be left for a certain time without shelter, so that they gradually get used to the new conditions.
Reproduction of chlorophytum lateral processes
A simple method of reproduction is to separate the babies with their daughter rosettes from the maternal specimen. The processes are planted immediately in a permanent pot with the necessary ground. To the root system quickly formed, sockets are placed for several days in a container of water. With the advent of roots they are planted in the soil. This procedure can be carried out in any season.
The vegetative method involves the division of an adult bush into several small ones with the next transplant. The soil in the prepared pots is pre-moistened. When separating the root system with a knife, you should try to save a clod of earth. You must carefully examine the roots of plants and remove rotten or dry. Then each bush is planted in a separate pot.
Diseases and insects pests
With proper care, chlorophytum is practically not sick. But in case of violation of agrotechnical rules, he often affected by the following diseases:
- Drying the tips of the leaves. This happens when the soil is high in sodium. In this situation, the flower should stop feeding with fertilizers containing this element.
- Drying and blackening of foliage. Symptoms appear from the end of the leaf plates. This usually happens in the summer, when the ground dries out quickly due to the heat and the plant does not receive the required amount of recharge. Abundant watering and regular spraying will correct the problem.
- Blackening of leaves in winter. This happens in the winter, if watering was too abundant, and the temperature in the room was set high. By the winter should be less likely to moisten the soil.
- Loss of foliage brightness. Foliage begins to fade if the room has poor lighting. With a lack of natural light, the plant should be an additional backlight.
- Leaf rosette decay. The problem occurs in the case of excessive irrigation and insufficient friability of the substrate.
- No flowering. Young bushes sometimes do not bloom because of the tight capacity in which they are located. A wider capacity will help the plant to bloom.
Frequent pests of chlorophytum are spider mites, aphids, and mealybugs. Often, due to insects, the plant becomes ill with root rot or spotting. To avoid these diseases, it is necessary in time to treat the plant with insecticide.
Beautiful plant chlorophytum can be an excellent home decor. Proper care ensures a long life and an attractive homemade flower.
An oblong linear or oval-like foliage up to 60 cm in length grows from the center of the rosette. The small, light-colored flowers are presented in brushes. After flowering, the fruit is in the form of a box. Some species form buds after flowering, and additional plants appear from the buds.
Chlorophytum in the people received the name "spider" or "terrestrial lily". The plant first appeared in the description in 1794, and distribution across Europe began in the 19th century. At the moment, the plant is so common around the globe that it is difficult to even name the exact number of species. But according to some information there are from 200 to 250 species.
Chlorophytum unpretentious plant, gets on in almost any conditions. The only requirement, the plant loves abundant soil moisture. The plant develops rapidly, and with the beginning of the growing season begins to throw flowers, and over time, small rosettes of leaves. This plant is considered a good air purifier from dust and accumulated harmful microorganisms.
Chlorophytum care at home
The optimum temperature of the plant is 16-20 degrees. But not lower than 8 degrees.
Lighting also plays an important role. Chlorophytum gets on well in any lighting conditions, but with sufficient light its leaves look more decorative and rich.
Moisturizing plant is preferred constant, but moderate. Watering should be done as the soil dries. In the summer, 4 times a week, and in winter, depending on the temperature of the plant.
If the temperature does not decrease, then at the same pace. But if the temperature is lower, it should be watered several times a week, making sure that there is no stagnation of moisture in the soil.
It is unpretentious to plant humidity in the room, but it is necessary to spray and hold a warm shower once in 30 days. Wipe the leaves from dust should not be, because the plants are quite fragile.
Fertilizers and soil for chlorophytum
It is necessary to feed the plant during the growing season, and this is from spring to autumn. It is necessary to fertilize with mineral dressing, about once every 30 days.
The plant in this regard does not require much. Soil can be purchased ready or mixed independently.
For this you need to take part of the turf land, part of the leaf soil and part of the sand in proportion (2: 2: 1)
Chlorophytum transplant at home
Many wonder how and when to replant chlorophytum. It is necessary to replant the plant as needed, that is, as soon as the fleshy root system has filled the container, transplantation is necessary.
Transplantation occurs easily, the plant is rolled over with the previous soil, and the missing places are filled with a new earth mixture. Transplantation is preferably made in the spring.
The chlorophytum pot should be chosen free, but better expanded than deep. You should choose containers of plastic or ceramic, they less moisture evaporates, and this is an important aspect for the plant.
Is it possible to trim a mustache from a chlorophytum? This is done at will. If you want more foliage, it is best to remove the whiskers. Other reasons, if you need seeds for further reproduction, the mustache is better to leave.
But in general, the plant does not need pruning. Only periodically it is necessary to remove dry leaves.
Reproduction of chlorophytum by children or layering
Already a year-old plant will please you with babies that appear on the mustache. To root kids need to prikopat next to the tank, not cutting off from the main plant until rooting.
Or there is another option, cut the cub and put in the water on the appearance of the roots, then to land in the ground.
Chlorophytum seed propagation
Seeds are sown in the spring, pre-soaking for a day in water or a growth promoter. After that, they are scattered on the soil, and this is a mixture of peat and sand, slightly pressing into the ground. After that, the container is covered with a film or glass. Periodically opening for airing and spraying.
Shoots appear after a half or two months. After the emergence of shoots, the film must be removed more often, so that the plants get used to the conditions of the room and fresh air. And after the appearance of several leaves, the seedlings must be dived into separate containers with the ground for adult plants.
Reproduction by lateral processes
The rooting of the lateral processes, the so-called children, is also considered to be a no less common method of cultivation of chlorophytum at home. This breeding method is elementary simple. An adult chlorophytum, in addition to beautiful leaves, also forms long stems of peduncles, on which daughter rosettes are formed, with their appearance resembling the mother plant in a “miniature”. Such a mini-bush immediately after separation from the stem is ready for planting in the ground. But many experienced growers recommend first to stand the socket for several days in a glass of water and only after the roots become more pronounced to plant them in the ground. The substrate for young plants is prepared in the same way as when dividing the bush.
The peculiarity of this method of reproduction is that it is available at any time of the year.
Plant propagation by seeds
Growing chlorophytum from seeds at home is quite a laborious and lengthy process that requires tremendous effort and patience. It should be noted that chlorophytum seeds quickly lose their viability and therefore the percentage of germination does not exceed 25-40%. Before sowing the seeds in the ground, they should be placed on a thin layer of cotton wool and covered with the same layer and placed in room temperature water for twenty-four hours, periodically changing it to fresh (four times a day). Then the seeds are sown in the soil, which should consist of sand and peat and be wet. From above the seed material is not covered with earth. A container with seedlings covered with polyethylene or glass and placed in a slightly shaded warm place. Care must be taken to maintain a constant temperature within twenty-two, twenty-five degrees and humidity. The seed container is opened daily for airing and spraying. With proper care, the first shoots appear in a month. Now you need to pay attention to hardening sprouts. The time of daily ventilation should be gradually increased, and somewhere in 10-15 days, the seedlings are completely free from the film. When two leaves are formed, the seedlings can be planted in flower pots.
The choice of one or another method of cultivation of chlorophytum depends not only on the preferences of gardeners, but also on the type of plant. There are varieties that do not form side outlets. Such chlorophytum reproduces exclusively by dividing the shrub or seeds.