Perhaps in our country not to find a garden, where they would not grow cucumbers. This vegetable is successfully used in food, not only fresh but also in canned form. Fans of various diets also respect cucumbers for their low calorie content.
A prominent representative of such a culture is the Kustova cucumber. Its compactness allows you to harvest a large crop, even from a small area. This vegetable grows well in almost any soil and does not require special care.
Bush cucumber is an early ripe variety. The entire period from the beginning of the appearance of the first shoots to their full maturity is only 47 days. This figure may vary, depending on the region of cucumber growth and weather conditions. The plant is pollinated by insects, so it is impossible to grow such a cucumber indoors.
Description of the bush
The description of the bush shows that it is distinguished by the unusual structure of the shoots. The scourge is short and usually does not grow more than 50 cm. The leaves are densely planted to each other and have a small size. Side shoots are actively formed, due to which the shape of the bush is obtained.
Under favorable planting conditions, the ovary is laid after each leaf. For the most part female flowers predominate, which allows you to harvest a good harvest.
Kustova cucumber can be collected already in the beginning of June, and in the middle of the month the plant enters the fruiting period. Zelentsy needs to be collected every day as they grow quickly enough.
- fruits are small,
- the skin of the vegetable is covered with a large number of hillocks with a dark top,
- fruits are well tolerated transportation
- These cucumbers do not have a bitter taste.
The texture of this vegetable is dense and crispy, which allows its use in many recipes, as well as for preservation. Due to the dense skin, after pickling cucumbers remain strong and crispy.
If the fruit has outgrown, then it is quite possible to use it for preparing canned salads. At the stage of maturation, you can cut these cucumbers, which will look great in different dishes.
For healthy plants, you need to worry about choosing a good planting material. It is necessary to choose seeds from proven producers. When you buy planting material by weight from summer residents, you risk bringing into your soil a variety of diseases.
For additional disinfection cucumber seeds before planting soaked for 15 minutes in a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Leaving the seeds for a longer period is not worth it, as they can rot.
Due to the fact that these cucumbers are grown only in open ground, they can be planted in several ways.
The first method is planting seeds back in April. To do this, you need to put a few seeds in a container with a nutrient substrate. The first shoots will appear within a week after planting. The ground should always be kept wet, and it should be loosened very carefully so as not to damage the tender roots of the seedling.
On a permanent place you can plant cucumbers in May.
If you decide to plant seeds immediately in open ground, the planting pattern will change somewhat. Manipulation is necessary in mid-May. At this time there is a guarantee that the frost will not return. The optimal scheme will be planting at a distance of 50 cm from each other, while the distance between the rows should be 30 cm.
It is better to prepare the beds before planting. In order to get a good harvest, it is necessary to bring into the soil rotted manure with bird or cow droppings. In the spring in the wells need to pour wood ash.
Not only tall varieties of cucumbers, but also bush requires constant and careful watering. Watering vegetables is better early in the morning or in the afternoon. In the middle of the day, not only fruits or leaves can die from the heat and evaporation of the earth, but also the whole plant.
Do not water the bushes with cold water, and if you use a well, it is better to install special containers. During the day, the water in such a container will be heated by sunlight and in the evening you can safely water the plants with it.
If you break this simple rule, you risk rotting the roots and killing the plant.
It is important to note that water should be poured at the root of the plant, excluding contact with the stem and leaves. After watering gently loosen the ground.
For more information about the care of this variety of cucumbers can be found here:
Spicy cucumber needs feeding in the period of fruit set and ripening. A week after the first fruits appeared, the plant is fertilized with potassium. This will allow the plant to strengthen the root system and add a few centimeters in growth.
If cucumbers are grown with seedlings, the first fertilizer is carried out earlier.
Top dressing is carried out in certain phases of plant growth. During the whole growing season, cucumbers are fertilized in the following periods:
- at the time of active growth of the shrub. It is necessary to mix ammonium nitrate, potassium chloride and superphosphate. These fertilizers need to be dissolved in 10 liters of water and gently water the plants,
- during flowering and the beginning of the formation of the fruit. On a bucket of water you need to take the infused mullein and nitrophoska. With a weak flowering plants, you can add boric acid,
- during fruit ripening. It is necessary to mix the ash and herbal infusion, then dissolve them in water. For the manufacture of grassy infusion you need to take any grass that has not yet reached flowering, finely chop, put in a container and pour water. The process of fermentation will take about a week.
Before you apply fertilizer, the soil must be well shed to avoid burns of the root system. In addition to root fertilizer, it is necessary to use extra foliar. In this case, it is necessary to spray the plants with the nutrient mixture.
Manipulation should not be carried out in too hot weather.
Insects and diseases
This plant is extremely susceptible to powdery and downy mildew. The causative agents of such diseases are parasitic fungi. The main signs of pathology is leaf covering with gray-brown spots. The surface thus becomes velvety.
Healthy landings are affected extremely quickly and also quickly move to healthy areas. To overcome this disease, you can use the usual serum or skim milk. By the same principle, it is possible to treat the bushes with a solution of household soap.
Planting cucumbers are often affected not only by insects, but also by their larvae. The most disgusting pest can be called aphids. These small insects suck all the sap from the plant, which invariably leads to its death. Such specimens, which are affected by aphids, are powdered with wood ash and crushed chalk in a 1: 1 ratio.
On the cucumber bed you can also often meet a tick. It multiplies rapidly in thickened plantings and too moist soil. The bush in such a situation is covered with a small white cobweb. To get rid of the pest by using fungicides.
Numerous reviews of gardeners and gardeners suggests that bush cucumber does not require special skills for the care and planting. Despite the ease of care, the plant gives a great harvest. In the southern regions of the season you can harvest two crops, the last of which you get on the table in mid-September.
Among other things, the positive reviews of this variety has earned its versatility. After all, the fruits of such cucumbers are good not only fresh, but also in canned form. When pickled, cucumbers will not lose their shape and will remain as crispy as they are fresh.
What kind of cucumbers are called bush
Kustovami called specially bred varieties and hybrid forms of cucumbers, which differ in such common features as:
- compactness - the plant grows in the form of a small bush,
- short stem length - depending on the variety and growing conditions, the stem reaches a length of 30-70 cm,
- weak branching - side scourge small and short,
- lots of the ovaries,
- early maturity - bush varieties and hybrids are characterized by a short period of fruit ripening,
- "Friendliness" return crop - all greenhouses in the ovary reach maturity within a short period of time.
Among varietal options
The early ripe grade pollinated by bees landed in open soil. Ripens on 42-45 day. Fruits are red-tuberous, cylindrical, green. The variety has good keeping quality. Suitable for pickling and canning.
The early ripe, steady against diseases, a grade needing pollination. Grown in open plantings of seeds and seedlings. Ripens on day 46-48. Fruits are egg-shaped, dark green, tuberculate. They have good taste. In addition to salads can be used for salting and canning.
Early maturing pollinated variety with a ripening period of 47-50 days. Planted in open ground. Fruits are dark green, medium-sized, with good taste. Suitable for pickles and preparations for the winter.
Early maturity Kid with a stem length of not more than 30 cm. Designed for cultivation in open ground. Ripens to 40 days after germination of seedlings. Fruits are dark green with a large-tuberous surface about 9 cm long. Resistant to powdery mildew and viruses.
Planting in open ground
To plant such cucumbers can be seeds directly in open ground or in the form of pre-grown seedlings. The planting pattern is in rows with a row spacing of 45-60 cm and a distance of 15-30 cm between bushes, depending on the selected variety. In order to avoid development of diseases you should not make planting too thick.
Planting seedlings of bush cucumbers in open ground
Cucumber seeds are sown in the ground at the end of May, when the soil and air are already well warmed. For normal germination, this plant requires a temperature of + 20-25 ° C. When possible return frosts crops should be covered with a film or agrofibre.
For seedlings, seed cucumber seeds are sown in late April - early May. At optimum temperature, seedlings appear for 5-6 days. By the time of landing in the ground seedlings should reach the age of 20 days. To protect against temperature fluctuations, it is recommended to land it under a film cover.
Spray cucumbers do not need special care. Thanks to its compactness, it is even simpler, since, for example, bush forms do not need pinching and tying. Caring for this type of cucumber is reduced to the following activities:
- watering - regular and sufficiently abundant, but without excessive moisture, to prevent the development of fungal diseases, preferably settled and not cold water in the early morning or late evening,
- top dressing - systematic, as the bush forms develop more intensively than the long-stem, therefore they need more nutrients, in the form of nitrogenous and potash fertilizers,
- soil loosening - regular, especially after watering, but careful not to damage the root system located close to the surface,
- weed control and the removal of sluggish or diseased leaves and fruits - in too thick and littered plantings increases the likelihood of developing diseases and the appearance of pests.
Diseases and pests
Like ordinary cucumbers, shrubs can suffer from diseases such as:
- powdery mildew - fungal disease, a symptom of which is a white (sometimes - rarely) mealy coating on the leaves,
- perinosporosis - downy mildew, manifested by numerous light yellow spots covering the leaves,
- cladosporia or brown olive spot - also a fungal disease that appears on the leaves and fruits in the form of small rounded ulcers of a green-brown or olive shade,
- anthracnose - a disease in which a large amount of brown spots appears on the leaves, and wet ulcers appear on the fruit,
- sclerotinia or white rot - develops from fungi and affects the whole plant, starting to grow from numerous white bodies, gradually covering stems, leaves and fruits with a continuous coating, which causes their softening and rotting,
- gray rot - bacterial disease, manifested in the form of vague watery brown spots, which quickly become smoky gray,
- root rot - it is a sign of rapidly withering leaves and rotten red roots.
Diseases develop for such reasons as:
- crop failure,
- contaminated seed
- dry or excessively moist soil in combination with thickened plantings,
- watering with cold water
- poor processing of soil between plants,
- late harvesting of plant residues and weeds.
In addition to diseases, the enemies of cucumbers are also some garden pests. These include:
- melon aphid,
- spider mite,
- sprout fly,
- gall nematode,
- whitefly greenhouse,
The main methods of pest control - spraying and precise adherence to the cultivation of cucumbers, especially pre-plant preparation of the soil.
Bush cucumbers are an excellent alternative to classic, long-stem varieties, if the place for planting is limited. They are unpretentious and resistant to diseases, and in response to simple care are ready to please with a bountiful harvest of tasty fruits, which can be used fresh or harvested for the winter.
A little about Kustovom
The variety is quite old and proven. The application for registration in the State Register of Breeding Achievements was submitted by the authors as early as 1975, and after testing at breeding experimental stations, the variety was introduced into the State Register in 1980 and recommended for commercial production in our country. Familiar to many experienced gardeners. Some have grown it for decades.
Zelentsy Shrubs grow in clusters
The variety is non-hybrid, you can collect your seeds, therefore some gardeners have been growing Kustovaya for decades, they pass the excess seeds to their friends and neighbors, because many people don’t even know and don’t remember the name of this variety. Meanwhile, unlike many hundreds of varieties, often quite similar to each other, the Kustova variety is easily distinguished by its appearance from the usual cucumbers and long lashes. Although it is very difficult to distinguish it from its counterparts, bush varieties such as Malyshok, Malysh, Korotyk, it is only in terms of the size of an already developed bush. These three fellows do not give lashes longer than 50 cm, that is, very compact, and therefore less productive. Variety Kustovoy in this row has the most tall bush, because it gives greater yield.
Recommended for cultivation in all regions of our country, where according to the climate conditions it is possible to grow cucumbers. And even because of the short period of ripening and fruiting better than many other varieties suitable for growing in cold regions.
Zelentsy (fruit) of this variety is no different from many classic varieties with a long whip, neither in appearance nor in taste. The variety is early ripe, under normal conditions gives the first fruits already 45–50 days after germination. The length of green leaves is 8–12 cm, weight is up to 100 g. Although, of course, no one forbids collecting green leaves in the size of roots, 7–8 cm or growing cucumbers until the seeds are fully ripe in a brown testis up to 25 cm in size and weighing about 300 grams.
Gorchat no more than other varieties because of adverse conditions. The fruit is thin, therefore it is very well suited for salads. Goes to salting, but with restrictions, like many other early varieties. It goes well with salting with a short shelf life, for example, as “salted” cucumbers. It is also salted in open dishes using numerous “barrel” recipes, but if they are stored for too long, cucumbers become soft. And it is not recommended to preserve it under sealed covers in cans - the covers often swell.
Cucumbers grow "five", at once several ovaries beside on one shoot.
The main difference between varieties just in the form of lashes. It looks more like a zucchini, grows in a bush, at once with several shoots at once from the root. Does not give long lashes more than 60–70 cm.
The bush is markedly different from other varieties.
Very unpretentious and hardy in the open field, it tolerates adverse conditions better than other new varieties - cold, drought, wind, disease. Well suited for cultivation in areas remote from the host's eyes when there is no possibility to constantly care for the plant. Although, of course, like any other plant, gives the best yield in favorable conditions, common to all varieties of cucumbers.
Easy to care. No need to tie on the trellis, to form a bush, pasynkovat. It is not intertwined with neighboring shoots, it is always sufficiently well through the sun, it is aired. Therefore, under the bush and in the bush inappropriate conditions for the development of many diseases - powdery mildew, gray and white rot and others.
He has time to give the harvest early and in a friendly way, until the middle of summer, when a variety of diseases start to develop on many cultivated plants because of the heat and humidity.
No additional care and special dressings, except for the recommended for all varieties of cucumbers, does not require. Напротив, требует меньшего количества воды при поливе. Компактные плети испаряют и требуют намного меньше воды, чем классические сорта. Достаточно в сухую жаркую погоду поддерживать грунт под кустом во влажном состоянии.
For two reasons, it is not suitable for growing indoors.
First, the bee-pollinating variety. And to open access for the arrival of bees in closed greenhouses or greenhouses while maintaining the temperature regime is not always easy.
Secondly, Kustovoy significantly loses to the newest greenhouse hybrid tall varieties for greenhouse yield. Varieties with a long whip increase the new lash and form a new ovary on it, and therefore an additional crop. Kustovoy works out the first, spring “backs” of the ovary on her short, powerful whip, and this is where the fruiting practically ends. Therefore, for business, a variety is not suitable for sale. And to occupy this class of expensive square meters of greenhouses is simply unprofitable.
Therefore, the variety is not recommended for industrial production in greenhouses, but only for commercial production for own consumption in private plots.
Due to the fact that the lash does not grow much in width and length and takes up much less space than varieties with a long lash, Kustovaya is planted closer to each other, at a distance of 45–50 cm to each other in a row and 70–80 cm between in rows. It is denser than for cucumbers with long lashes in the open field without a garter on vertical trellis. Therefore, due to the fact that Kustova per plant area is planted more often, this significantly compensates for its low yield with the yield of fruits per unit area.
Early ripeness of the variety will give the full effect if the cucumbers are grown seedlings. In late March-early April, the seeds are planted in a separate container with a capacity of 0.5 liters and grown in a warm and bright room. And with the onset of sustainable heat transplanted into the open ground. This is usually in the middle of May.
It is also useful to compensate for the rapid completion of fruiting with the help of scattering of the timing of planting. That is, the seedlings can be planted at different times - the end of March for the first landing in open ground, in mid-April for the second, and in early May for the third. And then you will be with cucumbers not 21 days, but the whole warm season.
However, like any varieties of cucumbers, Kustova grows better under the simplest film cover. (Not to be confused with expensive high greenhouses). And because of the small size of the bush is better than long-stem varieties suitable for growing under such a shelter. It is enough to stick an arc of improvised material over the garden beds — wire or glass fittings, or special industrial production arches and stretch the film over them. This will complicate care a little - in hot sunny weather it will be necessary to slightly open one side of the shelter, otherwise the temperature may rise above 50 degrees and the cucumbers will simply burn and the bees will not be able to fly under the film and pollinate the ovary.
At night and in cloudy weather, cucumbers are kept completely closed.
But if you rarely visit the site and there is no opportunity to open and close the film on time, depending on the weather and time of day, it’s best to keep one side open.
Shelter will accelerate ripening, increase the yield and taste of cucumbers - at higher temperatures, any fruit gains more sugars, fructose and other nutrients.
It works for all varieties, but varieties of cucumbers with long lashes under close shelters go awry, fall on the ground, lower leaves turn away, diseases start, because of the thickening of the plants there is not enough light.
Kustovoy is deprived of all these shortcomings just because of the compact bush.
This is what people who have tried this variety write on the net:
Vadim February 20, 2017 18:29 The variety is not bad, it makes sense to grow it. It takes up little space, and the cucumbers from it are cool, smooth and crunchy.
I recommend Pelagia Ilyinichna February 1, 2016 15:13 I recommend the variety for cultivation, it does not take up much space, the taste qualities of the Zelentsy are good, the only thing that didn’t like was the not high yield of the variety.
I know that many gardeners who have already met with the cucumber no longer want to return to the climbing. The care is not complicated, there are no features. And it is much more convenient to harvest, just walked around the bush and reaped the harvest. In addition, the bush cucumber is considered "stress-resistant." even if summer does not please you with good weather conditions, then you can still count on the harvest. Sick cucumber sore also extremely rare. The cucumbers themselves are tender and tasty, not bitter. The yield is average, but there is still a lot depends on the conditions and nutrition of the plant.
According to numerous reviews of gardeners working with this variety for many years, Kustovoy is a good proven variety for its own consumption, which does not require daily special care and unnecessary labor.
- early maturation
- undemanding agricultural practices,
- compact bush
- economical use of landing areas
- excellent taste,
- resistance to cucumber infection,
- different uses,
- small fruit size is convenient for preservation,
- long storage
The disadvantages include not very high yields, but the quality of the fruit and simple agricultural technology overlap this disadvantage.
Growing seedlings of bush cucumbers and care for her
For an earlier harvest, seedlings are used for planting, but sowing seeds in open ground is also an acceptable and fully justified method of growing bush cucumbers.
Terms of planting seedlings depend on the timing of planting in the ground, which, in turn, depend on the climate - for most regions this is the end of April or the beginning of May. Proper care and good seed quality will make it possible to get healthy seedlings in three weeks.
Soil and Seed Preparation
The soil for the seedling method of cultivation can be purchased in the store or cook yourself: 2 parts of garden soil, rotted sawdust, humus and one part of peat.
The quality of the prepared mixture will be improved by mineral fertilizers (calculated on a mixture bucket): 1 tsp. urea and potassium sulfate, 1 tbsp. l nitrophosphate, drug solution, crushed double superphosphate and 3 tbsp. l sifted ash.
It is advisable to prepare home soil in the fall and leave it to freeze in bags or large containers for the destruction of pests. A few days before planting, lay the ground in a container with drainage holes, slightly condense, leaving 1 cm to the edge, and pour over a weak solution of manganese.
Seed material purchased in the store is ready for sowing, and home-grown seeds need to be specially treated:
- by inspection, select dense, not deformed seeds of approximately the same size,
- immerse them in a salt solution (10g per 200ml of water), mix, remove the spilled empty seeds and rinse under running water,
- To disinfect for three hours, keep in the oven (60 °) without overheating, put in a bag and hold for 30 minutes in a solution of 1 g of manganese in 1 liter of water, rinse,
- moisten a bag of seeds with warm water, put it in a bag and put it in heat (not on the battery) before germination - germination will occur in 3-4 days,
- seeds with sprouts wrapped in a damp cloth should be put in the fridge for two days, preventing the cloth from drying out.
This simple treatment increases resistance to disease and temperature fluctuations.
- pour the soil in glasses beforehand and treated with a solution of manganese with warm water,
- make indentations in the ground and spread out the germinated seeds, one in each cup,
- sprinkle with dry earth and moisten with an atomizer,
- Place the glasses in the pan, cover with film or glass and place in a warm, bright place without drafts.
Approximately in 5-6 days shoots will appear, then the film needs to be removed and periodically spray leaves for moistening. Temperature condition withstand within 20 °.
Transplanting seedlings to ground
Strong bushes with 3-4 bright green leaves are ready for transplanting into the ground. The earth should warm up to 18 ° and above at this point. The site must be chosen in a sunny place, protected from the cold north winds. To protect from the cold, use mobile covers, arches with a film.
It is not recommended to plant in areas where pumpkin and cucumber grew before, and planting after potatoes, beans, cabbage and tomatoes is a good option.
How to make a transplant:
- To dig up the soil on the site in advance and add humus or compost (5-6 kg per 1 m²),
- holes, 15cm deep, positioned at a distance of 40-50cm, shed with warm water,
- one day before planting to water the seedlings,
- cut a cup and a sprout together with a lump of earth vertically put into the hole, cover it with earth, slightly compacting it (plant overgrown seedlings obliquely),
- pour planting, soil with straw, hay, leaves.
Stages of preparation:
- process the greenhouse with blue vitriol (150g per 10l),
- remove all plant residues, remove the soil to a depth of 5 cm,
- to dig up the earth, at the same time to make manure and fertilizers with potassium and phosphorus (40g per 1m²),
- on a well-lit place to prepare the ridge, a height of 25 cm and at a distance of 0.5 m from each other,
- dig holes 15 cm deep at a distance of 30 cm between them.
Further actions are similar when transplanting seedlings to open ground.
Cucumber crops do not like it when the soil dries out, so it is recommended to water it once every two days with warm water in the morning or evening. But excessive moistening undesirable effect on the state of the root system - the roots begin to rot.
When lowering the temperature below 16 °, you should stretch the film, covering material, or put a portable cover over the landings.
Recommendations for sowing in the ground:
- the seeds are laid out in pre-moistened shallow wells at a distance of 10-15cm,
- distance between rows - 45cm,
- sprinkle with earth and close the planting film,
- with the emergence of shoots film to raise or put the arc with the film,
- soil mulch.
Further care is to water (to prevent drying of the soil), surface loosening during the formation of a crust, removal of weeds.
If necessary, you can put props so that the fruits do not touch the ground.
Compliance with the rules of growing seedlings and sowing seeds, planting care will provide early harvest of crunchy little cucumbers.
— Spray cucumbers tried to grow last year. Interested in unusual characteristics. I planted 4 bushes with seeds under the film at the end of May, having been issued as a decorative plot. When the bushes are hung with cucumbers - the view is amazing. I was pleased with the result - I love small crunchy cucumbers. The family used them fresh, I also made salted ones. Lightly salted in general perfectly obtained! Today I want to highlight the site and plant more bushes. Maybe I will try blanks.
-Cucumber cucumbers grow for summer consumption. Soot where there is a place, but, of course, sunny. There is a place for one bush - I plant one bush, more space - I plant 2-3 bushes. I use humus and compost from fertilizers, because we have fertile soil, everything is growing well. In the future, try mineral dressing. I like the compact bush - it is convenient to take care and water. Yes, since there is no separate place, I plant seedlings. Conveniently with such landings. The harvest is not particularly plentiful, but if you like the variety, then why not plant it just to eat for pleasure.
The bee-pollinated variety is therefore intended primarily for open ground, where it is provided with access to pollinating insects. Film shelters for cucumbers are used as temporary at the initial stage of growth.
The yield of bee pollinated varieties (as opposed to self-pollinated, intended for greenhouses) depends largely on external factors: temperature drops, cloudiness of the weather, insect activity. Kustovaya cucumber is planted by seedlings or by direct sowing of seeds on prepared beds from May 10 to June 10, when the soil is heated to + 15 ... 20 ℃ in the daytime and no less than + 8 ℃ at night. Under favorable conditions, this variety is able to provide the maximum yield declared by the manufacturer: up to 5-6 kg / m 2 of fruits with leveled appearance.
This variety has a rather early and amicable fruiting, gives the main crop for 3 weeks. This avoids the loss associated with outbreaks of common pumpkin diseases, which usually occur later.
The main advantage of the variety is considered to be the compact size of the plants, which do not grow into thickets, but rather resemble miniature squash bushes. Because of this, they do not take up much space and are suitable for small plots of land. In addition, the "Kustovoy" does not require constant stading side shoots and formation. The plants are determinant (the growth of the central stem stops after laying a floral brush at 60-70 cm), with moderate branching and short lashes (35-60 cm), leaf axils and internodes shortened, due to which the leaf mass looks abundant.
The recommended planting density of bush cucumbers is according to the scheme 70 x 30 cm. When growing, it is enough to adhere to the standard agrotechnical requirements: water regularly, feed in time, mulch the soil or produce weeding and surface cultivation. Bush forms are considered the most unpretentious, easy to care for and harvest.
Zelentsy are short (9-12 cm long), weighing an average of 100-110 g, have an elongated ovoid shape, weak ribbing and dark green color with short light stripes. The peel is not dense, covered with large tubercles and black pubescence. Excellent taste, crunch and juicy greens provide versatility of use: they are highly valued as a salad for fresh use, and are ideal for all types of home-made products (pickling, canning). Fruits have good transportability and keeping quality during prolonged storage.
Since the Kustovaya cucumber is a bee-pollinating variety, full-grown seeds ripen in its fruits. Many gardeners prefer to collect their own seed for the purpose of further cultivation. Producers offer seeds, both conventional and processed, covered with shells using coating or inlaying technologies (not requiring pre-sowing preparation). The composition of protective and nutritional shells includes growth stimulants, authorized pesticides, micro and macro elements that provide:
- increase in germination by 7-10%
- yield increase by 15-20%
- protection from diseases and pests.
According to reviews of most gardeners, Kustovaya cucumber is resistant to olive spotting (cladozoriosis), powdery mildew, bacteriosis, and also tolerant under adverse weather conditions, but does not tolerate heat and direct sunlight.
Ekaterina, 40 years old, Kudymkar (Perm region)
Most recently, drew attention to a bag of cucumber seeds (company Gavrish) called Kustovoy. I read in the description that the bushes should be small, to do without any pinching and give a good harvest. Bought on trial. Planted soaked sprouted seeds right in open ground, germination was at the level of 80-100%. Ordinary creepers with long lashes grew, and did not understand, maybe it was not a “bush” at all. Cucumbers were knitted in the axils one by one, as a result, the yield was lower than that of other varieties. The seller in the store advised me to take parthenkarpik with limited or weak branching (Hector, Malyshok-krepyshok, etc.), but I just wanted to bee-pollinated. Next time I’ll pick some others.
Andrei, 53 years old, pos. Suleya (Chelyabinsk region)
We plant this cucumber for many years and consider it very suitable for our small vegetable garden. A huge plus is that it is easy to care for him and do not need to build different trellis. Bushes are compact, decorative, grow very moderately, do not take up much space. Cucumbers ripen somewhere on the 50th day after planting. The harvest turns out short, but simultaneous and amicable. Basically, we salt these pickles and pickle in banks. It turns out strong and crispy, wonderful to taste.
Larisa, 33 years old, p. Surhahi (Ingushetia Republic)
Planted last season a few cucumbers of this variety. Very pleased with their small size. Scourge short, garters do not require, it is convenient to collect cucumbers. Zelentsy on the bush do not overgrow, remain small and green, plucked for a long time does not fade. The yield is quite average, but I liked the taste - sweet, aromatic, juicy. I collected seeds from a ripe cucumber, now I plan to plant this variety again in a year.
Pavel, 47, Kherson (Ukraine)
In my opinion, Kustovaya cucumber is not suitable for our climate. In the sun and heat, the leaves quickly begin to turn yellow and dry, the bushes bear fruit for less than a month. Cucumbers outwardly not impressed, and the taste is ordinary, many bitter at the base. Yield is mediocre. Far from the best grade.
Valeria, 39 years old, Omutninsk (Kirov region)
In our country, cucumbers grow in the open field, so we plant bee-pollinated varieties: Shorty, Yerofey, Kustovoy for preservation, and Graceful for food. What I especially like Kustova, that he fruits quickly and together, no diseases just have time for him. Семена покупаем не самые дешевые, а окрашенные и покрытые оболочкой, чтобы не морочиться с разными замачиваниями и протравливаниями. Всхожесть у них высокая, и растут потом быстро. Огурчики небольшие и ровные, с черными шипами. При засолке и мариновке вкус и хруст у них отменный.
Look like the original seed varieties from the breeding-seed company "Search", see the following video:
For several years she worked as a television program editor with leading producers of ornamental plants in Ukraine. At the dacha, of all types of agrarian works, prefers harvesting, but for the sake of this, she is ready to regularly weed, pick, pinch, water, tie up, thin out, etc. I am convinced that the most delicious vegetables and fruits are home grown!
Found a mistake? Select the text with the mouse and click:
Compost - rotted organic residues of the most diverse origin. How to do? In a heap, pit or large box they put everything in a row: kitchen remains, tops of garden crops, weeds cut before flowering, thin twigs. All this is mated with phosphate flour, sometimes straw, ground or peat. (Some summer residents add special accelerators of composting.) Cover with foil. In the process of overheating, the heap is periodically agitated or pierced for fresh air. Usually compost “ripens” for 2 years, but with modern additives it can be ready even in one summer season.
Oklahoma farmer Karl Burns developed an unusual variety of multi-colored corn called Rainbow Corn. The grains on each cob are of different colors and shades: brown, pink, purple, blue, green, etc. This result was achieved by the long-term selection of the most colored ordinary varieties and their crossing.
Natural toxins are found in many plants, not an exception and those that are grown in gardens and vegetable gardens. So, in the pits of apples, apricots, and peaches there is prussic acid (hydrocyanic acid), and in the tops and skin of immature solanaceous (potatoes, eggplants, tomatoes) - solanine. But do not be afraid: their number is too small.
It is believed that some vegetables and fruits (cucumbers, celery, all types of cabbage, peppers, apples) have a "negative caloric content", that is, more calories are consumed during digestion than they are contained. In fact, the digestive process consumes only 10-20% of the calories obtained with food.
In small Denmark, any piece of land is very expensive. Therefore, local gardeners have adapted to grow fresh vegetables in buckets, large packages, foam boxes filled with a special earth mixture. Such agrotechnical methods allow you to get a crop, even at home.
The homeland of pepper is America, but the main breeding work on the cultivation of sweet varieties was carried out, in particular, by Ferenc Croat (Hungary) in the 20s. XX century in Europe, mainly in the Balkans. Pepper has already come to Russia from Bulgaria, that's why it got its usual name - “Bulgarian”.
Humus - rotted manure or bird droppings. It is prepared this way: manure is piled up in a pile or a pile, interbedded with sawdust, peat and garden soil. Burt covered with a film to stabilize the temperature and humidity (this is necessary to increase the activity of microorganisms). Fertilizer "ripens" within 2-5 years - depending on external conditions and the composition of the feedstock. The output is a loose homogeneous mass with a pleasant smell of fresh earth.
“Frost-resistant” varieties of garden strawberries (more often simply “strawberries”) also need shelter, as well as ordinary varieties (especially in those regions where there are snowless winters or frosts alternating with thaws). All strawberries have superficial roots. This means that without cover they freeze out. The sellers' beliefs that strawberries are “frost-resistant”, “winter-hardy”, “endures frosts up to −35”, etc. - are deceit. Gardeners should keep in mind that no one has yet been able to change the root system of strawberries.
There is no natural protection for tomatoes from late blight. If the phytophtora attacks, any tomatoes (and potatoes too) perish, no matter what is said in the description of the varieties (“varieties resistant to late blight” are just a marketing ploy).
The main differences of bush varieties of cucumber
Spray cucumbers are distinguished by the rapid ripeness of fruits. Harvest period begins three weeks from the beginning of fruiting. After 30 days you can dig up the bushes from the garden and carry out a new landing.
Productivity is low, but the fruits ripen at the same time. Harvesting is carried out before the main diseases on the plant appear, which makes it possible not to carry out unnecessary treatments with fungicides and not to lose the harvest.
Bush cucumbers - These are hybrid plants, on which long lashes do not grow. Thanks to the bush form, planting plants is convenient to handle.
The fruits are the same size, so they are convenient for home preparations for the winter.
How to choose a variety of bush cucumber
To choose the right type of cucumber for planting at the dacha should consider several qualities of the plant:
- for a short summer, early-maturing varieties should be planted; for hot and long-lasting varieties,
- fruiting period
- resistance to the development of diseases and damage by pests,
- method of pollination of plants
- resistance to the effects of natural factors: a decrease in temperature, lack of moisture, drought
A wide selection of cucumber seeds with short stems is currently offered. Most often in the garden plots planted the following varieties:
- Kid. Early maturing variety intended for cultivation in the open field. This variety has short stems up to 30 centimeters. The period of fruiting cucumber variety Baby comes 40 days after seed germination. The length of the fruit variety Malysh is 9 centimeters. The surface is tuberculate, painted in a rich dark green color. The hybrid is resistant to powdery mildew, cucumber mosaic and fungal diseases.
- Shorty. The height of the bush is 40-45 centimeters. A knot forms up to three fruits with a length of 10 centimeters. Fruits have a flat oval or cylindrical shape. This variety is often used for preservation and fresh consumption.
- Kustovoy. It is an early ripe grade, for cultivation only in an open ground. Side shoots are short. The length of the stem does not exceed 70 centimeters. The fruits are oval. The variety has a good keeping quality and preservation of taste for a long time.
- Microsha. Belongs to the early ripening universal varieties, pollinated by bees. Fruit ripening occurs 45-47 days after the first shoots appear. The length of the fetus is 10-12 centimeters. The surface is painted in dark green color, has a slight pubescence. Harvesting is carried out as the fruit ripens. Planting in open ground can be carried out at the end of the return frosts. The variety is resistant to diseases.
- Gift. Early ripe variety. The period of fruiting begins 50 days after germination. The length of the branches does not exceed 60 centimeters. The weight of green grass is 90 grams, length - no more than 10-12 centimeters.
Of particular popularity are hybrid varieties of bush cucumbers, obtained as a result of manual pollination of parental varieties. The main advantages of hybrids It is considered that they inherit the best qualities of parent plants, resistance to diseases, and high yields.
The main disadvantage of the hybrid - This is the inability to collect seeds and grow such a plant. Many plants grown from such seeds do not bear fruit or give fruits with other qualities.
Growing bush cucumber seedlings
This method allows you to get a harvest earlier. Growing seedlings is simple enough. For sowing seeds, you can use universal soil or soil from the garden plot, after mixing it with humus.
Sowing seeds is carried out in wooden boxes or small cups. When planting seeds purchased in the store, preliminary preparation for planting is not required. Seeds collected on the site require preparation. Before planting, they must be placed in a cold place for a while and kept in potassium permanganate solution. These activities will help harden the seed and increase its resistance to disease.
Shoots appear five to six days after sowing seeds in the ground. Young plants timely watering should be ensured. Boxes with seedlings are placed in a warm room. After the appearance of four true leaves, seedlings are planted in the garden, if the soil warms to 20 degrees or in a temporary greenhouse, which will help protect the plants from lowering the temperature.
After planting seedlings should be systematically carried out weeding and remove weeds. This will help increase yields and protect plants from disease.
Planting bush cucumbers in open ground
The selection of seeds of bush cucumbers for open ground is carried out taking into account the climatic conditions. Plants need warmth regular moderate soil moisture and ambient lighting. Plants do not tolerate excess moisture in the soil and direct sunlight.
Bush cucumbers can be grown on any soil. High yield is provided by plants grown on light, nutritious, well-permeable to moisture and air soils. Planting cucumbers on the same beds can be done once every five years, so you should take care in advance of applying organic and mineral fertilizers.
Seeds of bush cucumbers for planting in open ground require preliminary preparation. Since the plant stems are delicate, it is necessary to harden and prevent diseases.
Before planting, seeds are soaked for 30 minutes in a pale pink solution of potassium permanganate and thoroughly washed in running water.
10-14 days before sowing need to prepare the beds. For this fertilizer is applied to the soil. Compost, manure or mineral compounds can be scattered around the bed and flatten with a rake.
Sowing seeds is carried out in the wells or grooves treated with growth promoters. Seeds are planted on a bed at a distance of 7-10 centimeters from each other, the distance between rows should be at least 45 centimeters. If the soil is heavytheir mulch is peat. When sowing seeds in a well, it is necessary to close the sowing with plastic wrap. This will provide protection from the cold and help the seedlings grow sturdy and hardened.
We should not forget about the timely cutting of the film over the hole, because in contact with her shoots can get sunburn. In this case, it is safer to use non-woven covering material. When growing cucumbers in this way, fruit ripening will occur earlier.
Care for the bush varieties of cucumbers
Care is the timely collection of Zelentsov. Because bush varieties have abundant fruiting, the branches can bend down or break. Harvesting recommended hold once every 3 days.
Watering plants produced only warm distilled water. The use of cold water can lead to the development of diseases.
Features of bush cucumber
The characteristics and description of the bush-type vegetable culture are based on the following features:
- Bushes are compact, their lashes reach lengths from 50 to 80 centimeters. The short internodes gives the plant pomp.
- From one square meter of a bed it is possible to collect from three to five kilograms of green men. It is a little, but grow cucumbers can quickly, together, without being ill.
- The fruits ripen early, so they regale on them at the end of June.
- Small in length and weight, Zelentsy are also suitable for pickling, salting, cooking salads.
This type of vegetable is popular among vegetable growers due to its unpretentiousness, high taste, compactness. But in whatever good conditions cucumbers grew, there will be no big harvests from a bush.
Popular varieties of bush cucumbers
Among the famous bush cucumbers for open ground can be identified as follows:
- Already on the 47th day after the emergence of shoots the fruits of the variety Mikrosh are received. Zelentsy have a length of ten centimeters, weighing just over a hundred grams, give a good harvest. Dark green, slightly pubescent, they are suitable both for fresh consumption and for canning.
- To the Kustova variety, vegetable growers have no complaints. Since it is pollinated by bees, it is suitable for open beds. Small green elongated bodies have many hillocks on the surface, covered with a dark fuzz. Gather from one square meter to three and a half pounds of tasty, without the bitterness of vegetables. They are well tolerated transportation, long stored without turning yellow.
- Grade Dar is ideal for salting. After all, the fruits of it reach the size of eleven centimeters, saturated with green color, with large spikes. It ripens early, ovaries are formed in 47 - 52 days after full germination.
- Dark green tubercles of the Baby variety cucumbers do not reach ten centimeters in length. Although the harvest is low - up to forty-five fruits are removed from one bush - but the great taste without bitterness will delight vegetable growers. Keep the crop fresh for up to ten days.
- Spray cucumber Shorty fruits early. On short stems on the fiftieth day of growth there are a lot of tasty juicy Zelentsov.
- Hybrid Malyshok krepyshok not afraid of frost, fungal diseases. Hilarious Zelenets is tasty in salting, summer salads.
- The best varieties of Dutch selection are represented by Hector F1. Cucumbers are spread due to resistance to diseases, low temperatures. Harvested vegetables have excellent keeping quality.
- For cucumbers, a little boy with a finger does not need pollination, so it can be planted in greenhouses and in the garden. Zelentsy ripen soon, on the fortieth day after the emergence of shoots, in bunches. The fruits are fragrant, with juicy pulp, almost do not contain seeds. The hybrid is unpretentious in leaving, gives high yields.