Good day to all!
Talk about carrots today. Planting carrots in the spring, what could be easier - you say. Maybe so, but not all of it grows well. Why so? Let's take a detailed look at the subtleties of planting and caring for spring carrots. To get good shoots and a rich harvest.
From this article you will learn how to choose the right variety, prepare seeds and land, how to care for crops.
I do not advise you to plant carrots very early in the spring; The weather should be established, in the afternoon it is desirable + 15 ° С, and the soil is heated to + 7-8 ° С heat. Usually it is April - the beginning of May in the middle lane and in the Urals. May be the middle of May - what the weather will be. In the southern regions, sowing dates start earlier.
Carrot loves loose, light soil, fertile. For spring sowing it is better to cook the ridges in the fall, and in the spring to loosen everything. Humus, ashes are added to the ground when digging.
Fresh manure must not be used!
Carrots are very sensitive to nitrogen fertilizers and quickly accumulate nitrates. It turns out harm, and not the benefits of such a crop. In addition, root crops grow clumsy, and the smell of manure attracts pests.
When the time comes, we make grooves on the ridges, we water and sow the seeds. Too thick sowing is not necessary, when thinning the neighboring roots can be damaged. Well keep a distance of one to two cm. To do this, the seeds can be pasted on thin paper in advance.
Plain toilet paper is ideal here, and glue should be made from starch. Since we cannot soak such seeds before planting, be sure to water the grooves well. Then we cover crops with humus and water again.
For the quick appearance of friendly shoots, it is fashionable to cover the bed with a covering material, film or old things to preserve moisture. After the emergence of shoots, the film and things are removed, and covering material can be left to reduce watering, especially in the dry spring. Also in a row of carrots, they sift radishes or lettuce so that the rows are immediately visible.
Site location and illumination
To grow carrots, choose a well-lit area - direct sunlight throughout the day to the benefit of the plant. When grown in the shade, yields are reduced, taste deteriorates.
The soil needs a loose, neutral or weakly acid reaction. Light sandy or loamy soils are suitable. In dense loam fruits grow small, quickly affected by rot during storage.
When to plant carrots before winter
For early carrots or so-called beam products, they are sown before winter or in early spring. The first option is possible only in warm climatic zones - even under a thick layer of covering material, the seeds freeze out under harsh conditions.
Subwinter seeding carrots is carried out at the end of October, when warming is no longer foreseen. If the seeds hatch and grow in the fall, the cold will ruin them. Therefore, the time of sowing try to push as far as possible by the end of autumn.
Planting carrots in spring in open ground terms
Carry out spring planting of carrots as soon as the top layer of soil warms up to a temperature of 4-6 ° C. In the middle lane is approximately the end of April. Remember: an earlier planting of carrots and a cold return adversely affect the keeping quality of fruits and provokes an active bookmark of flower arrows, but this is not an obstacle to the cultivation of ripening varieties that are immediately eaten and not stored in winter.
Long-ripening varieties are excellent for long-term storage. Sow them with the establishment of this heat (15-18 ° C).
How to treat carrot seeds before planting
First, select high-quality seeds: put them in a solution of edible salt for 3-5 minutes, floating up to the surface are not suitable for sowing. Rinse the rest under running water, hold for 24 hours in a damp cloth moistened with growth stimulant solution. Before sowing, the seeds are dried to flowability and immediately sown.
Is it possible to germinate carrot seeds before planting
Some gardeners to speed up germination do the following. Place the seeds on a damp cloth and incubate at a temperature of 20-24 ° C for 5-6 days. It is important that the seeds only swell, but do not germinate, otherwise the shoots will be damaged during transplantation and the seeds will not sprout. Before sowing, the seeds are slightly dried to flowability and immediately sown.
Seeds of carrots can be prepared for sowing and in an unusual way: they are wrapped in cloth and instilled deeper in the garden until the time when the ground is ripe (approximately on a spade bayonet). Leave them in the ground for 10 days. Seeds will not hatch, but prepare well for rapid germination. Dry them a little and sow immediately.
The scheme of planting carrots in open ground
On an industrial scale it is more convenient to plant carrots in double rows: the distance between two rows is 15-20 cm, the wide row spacing is 40-50 cm.
The ridges are conveniently made narrow (about 1.3-1.5 m), so that on both sides you can reach out with your hands for weeding the rows. It is better to arrange the rows perpendicular to the long side of the bed, so it is more convenient to sow, pierce and water the plants. Row spacing 15-20 cm. At the edges of the beds, make rim to prevent water runoff.
Do I need to water carrots after planting?
If the weather is cool and wet, there is no need for watering. In warm sunny days the soil dries out quickly, in this case, moderate watering will not be superfluous. However, remember: an excessive amount of moisture will cause the formation of an earth crust, which is even worse than the lack of watering. Therefore, moisturize gently, only slightly sprinkling the garden bed. Watering is repeated every morning until germination. After it will be possible to break through the rows and water less frequently, after 1-2 days, with the obligatory loosening between the rows, until they are closed by the grown leaves.
How many carrot seeds sprout?
When the weather is warm, the seeds will sprout in about a week. Germination time is doubled if the air temperature is below 12 ° C. Empty places fill up with additional seeding.
Under winter, seeds are sown at soil temperature below +5 ° C. Deepen the seeds by 2 cm. The thickness of the mulch layer should be 3-4 cm. If the snow cover is insignificant, additionally cover it with lapnik, increasing the layer to half a meter.
To grow large roots, you should adjust the level of thickening of the plantings. The first thinning spend with the advent of these leaves. Sprouts are very gentle, so that they are well removed, it is necessary to water abundantly, after drying slightly loosen the soil.
Remove plants one by one, leaving a distance of 2-3 cm between individual plants. It is better to carry out the procedure in the daytime - in the evening you can attract a carrot fly to the site of the pest. Do not leave the tops in the garden. Squeeze the soil around the plants a little to keep the sprouts upright. After 20 days, repeat the thinning, doubling the distance.
Watering carrots after planting and further
Juiciness and sweet taste of root crops depends on watering. Ensure regular watering at all stages of carrot growth. The soil should be wetted to depth in accordance with the size of the root. Water the garden bed with adult carrots so that the soil gets wet by 30 cm. From the lack of moisture, the fruit is sluggish, with a bitter aftertaste.
Water in 3-4 days, adding 30-40 liters of water per m² to give moisture to form root crops. Medium-sized roots are able to find moisture on their own - add 10-20 liters of water per 1 m² once a week. From the end of August, 8-10 liters of water per 1 m² every 1.5-2 weeks is enough. 2 weeks prior to harvest, withstand carrots without watering.
Sharp drops from drying up the soil to excess moisture lead to cracking of the fruit, which worsens their keeping quality.
Regularly loosen the aisles, weed the planting from the weeds.
Carrots should be fed twice per season. Spend the first feeding in 3-4 weeks after emergence of shoots, the second - in a couple of months. Fertilizer is applied in liquid form. At 10 liters of water, add a choice: 2 cups of wood ash, 1 tbsp. l nitrophosphate, 20 g of potassium nitrate, 15 g of double superphosphate and urea.
Diseases and pests of carrots
Carrot fly - the main enemy of the plant. It appears during thickened plantings, in the presence of weeds, from excessive soil moisture. You will understand that the plantation is struck by a carrot fly, according to the following features: the leaves will start to curl and dry. It should be urgently treated with insecticide.
To protect against carrot flies, carrots are planted near the beds of carrots, the smell of which deters pests.
Diseases carrots are weak. Possible defeat fomozom, alternariozom. The risk of disease is reduced by treating the beds with a 1% solution of Bordeaux liquids.
How to clean and store carrots
Carrots are not afraid of cold weather, but low air temperature (below +8 ° C) contributes to the conversion of starch into sugar, which will negatively affect keeping quality. In the middle band, carrot harvest should be collected at the end of September. Do this in dry weather. Dig carrots, shake the roots off the ground, hold in the air (not under direct sunlight) for about 1.5-2 hours, then cut the tops. Sort the crop, even fruits without damage, put in aerated boxes, store in a cool dark place.
When to plant carrots in spring in open ground?
The timing of sowing carrots in the open ground may differ slightly, depending on whether you have chosen the early, mid-season or late variety. As for weather conditions, the temperature of just 4-6C is sufficient for the germination of this vegetable from seeds.
At the same time, markovka grains are not afraid of night drops up to -4C. That is, as soon as the daytime temperature regime is stable within plus values and the earth has warmed up a bit, you can safely proceed to the design of the beds.
Important! View the weather forecast for the coming weeks before processing the garden. Carrots are best sown when prolonged rains are planned.
Experienced gardeners recommend the following dates for planting carrots in open ground:
- From April 20 to the end of the first week of May, late and mid-ripening varieties can be sown.
- If the soil is of medium density, you can slightly delay the process until the second week of May, if it is light - even when planted in late May, you will get the crop on time.
Take into account not only the composition of the soil, but also the climatic conditions of your region.
- In the northern belt with a harsh climate, it is recommended to plant carrots at the end of May or even at the beginning of June and it is undesirable to choose late varieties - vegetables simply do not have time to ripen.
- In southern latitudes - at the end of May.
- In the central regions with a temperate climate, observe the classical dates - the end of April or the first decade of May.
Important! When choosing a variety of carrots, consider not only its taste, size and ripening time, but also the possibility of storage.
- Variety Parisian carrot 443 belongs to the early species, but is categorically not suitable for winter storage of the crop.
- Vitamin, Shantane, Samson - this is a good variety of mid-season carrots, the harvest of which can be stored even until the vegetables ripen in the next year.
- Such late varieties as Forto, Moscow Winter, Valeria, Vita Long, showed themselves best of all in long-term storage.
Choosing a landing site
The pledge of the full growth of the crop and a rich harvest is not only respecting the timing of sowing carrots in the open ground in spring, but also the right place for the beds.
These are the recommendations you should consider when selecting the appropriate area of your garden:
- The area under the beds should be flat, even without a minimum slope.
- Be sure to good illumination and plenty of solar heat. If there is a shadow from the house or growing near shrubs, trees, carrots will grow very weakly, the vegetables will not match the expected number and size.
- The soil should be neutral, in any case not acidic. Otherwise - the abundance of acid will affect the taste of root vegetables, you will not get any sweets from them. As for density, give preference to loose soil. In too hard ground, roots are crooked.
Important! Do not forget about the rules of culture:
- Carrots grow well in the spring on the land where you grew cabbage, zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, onions, potatoes or cucumbers last year.
- Plots after last year’s cultivation of fennel, parsnip, cumin, parsley, beans, dill and carrots themselves are categorically not suitable.
Seed processing must be done in advance, so that the dates for planting carrots in the open ground in the spring are met.
You can choose one of several methods, taking into account your own experience, free time and scrap materials:
- Soak in clear water. For this treatment of carrot seeds, water is used at a temperature of 30 C. The seeds are immersed in a container, filled with water and kept for a day, changing the liquid during this time at least 6 times. In the end, it is necessary to stand a few days seeds in the refrigerator, after wrapping them with a clean, light cotton fabric.
- Soak in the ash solution. If you want to feed the grain a little, then take not plain water, but mixed with ash in the proportion of 1 l per 1 tbsp. After soaking, rinse the seeds with clean water, wrap in a cloth and soak in the refrigerator for several days.
- Hardening Pick up a fabric pouch suitable for your volume of seed size, fill it with grains, put it in open ground for 10 days at the depth of the spade bayonet.
- Bubbling. This method of seed treatment before planting carrots in open ground will suit more experienced farmers who have a special machine available - the bubbler. Seeds in it are kept in a solution of “Silk” or “Epin” for 18–20 hours - this time is sufficient to saturate the planting material with oxygen.
- Preparation of soil for planting carrots begin in the fall. It is necessary to thoroughly dig up the plot of the planned beds for carrots, so that the earth settles until spring. It is very important to withstand the recommended plowing depth - 1.5-2 bayonet spade. If you do not follow this rule, then during its development, the root crop can rest on a rough, too dense ground for it, as a result, the vegetables will be crooked.
- In the autumn, after manual plowing, fertilizers are applied. The standard amount includes 15 g of potassium, 20 g of nitrogen, 25-30 g of superphosphate and 2-3 kg of humus per 1 m2.
- If the previous 2 points were performed correctly, then the autumn soil preparation for planting carrots will take the least time. It is only necessary to level the soil with a rake after it is frozen.
Step by Step Seeding Instructions - Classic Technology
Planting carrots in the spring in the open ground by the classical technology occurs very quickly. The main thing is to maintain all the recommended distances so that the seeds will easily slip and there is no strong thickening later on:
- Groove depth - 3 cm.
- The distance between the grooves is at least 10-15 cm.
- Form a rake or other convenient garden tool grooves.
- Spill each with hot water.
- Pour wood ash into the hollows - it is not important to comply with certain proportions, you can simply “sift” the holes easily.
- Sift the carrot seeds, trying to distribute them evenly, not too thick.
- Sprinkle the grooves with earth, slightly press the soil with your palms.
- Cover the beds with plastic wrap or other covering material so that the seedlings do not freeze and hatch faster, and it is easier to transfer possible temperature fluctuations.
- As soon as the first shoots appear, remove the covering material so as not to provoke the rotting of the plant roots and the development of fungi.
Alternative methods of planting carrots in spring
Many experienced gardeners, who have already mastered all the classic technologies of growing crops and get real pleasure from it, eventually begin to try their ideas in the business.
And some of them in relation to planting carrots are very practical, so they became famous. Consider several of these options so that you decide for yourself how much more comfortable it will be for you to grow carrots in your garden.
Landing on tape
Initially, this method was tested on ordinary toilet paper, but since the technology got accustomed and became popular, recently special tapes with carrot seeds already applied on them appeared on the market.
Important! The last option will be the easiest for a beginner gardener, the only caveat: buy such tapes in stores with a good reputation so that the seeds used meet your expectations and are of the variety for which you want to use.
If you use a more budget option with the seeds that you have available, then:
- Prepare tapes of the desired length of toilet paper.
- Prepare a paste of starch.
- Moisten the paper strip with paste.
- Carefully spread the seeds, maintaining a distance of 3-5 cm.
- Place strips of seeds in the grooves in the beds and cover them with earth.
Important! Однозначное преимущество этой методики заключается в том, что удается избежать загущенности всходов и не тратить в дальнейшем время на прореживание.
Метод Галины Кизимы
The essence of this technology is that you do not need to make furrows on the garden, and, as the practice of experienced farmers shows, thinning of the seedlings in the future is also not required. Therefore, this option is suitable for older people or those who want to grow good carrots with minimal time and effort.
The procedure for planting carrots in the open ground in the spring according to the Galina Kizima method:
- Take 1 bucket of dry sand, the corresponding amount of fertilizer for this volume, 2-3 tbsp. carrot seed.
- Mix everything thoroughly.
- Make a bed without grooves.
- Sift the beds well with a mixture, pour water and sprinkle with a little earth.
Important! Keep in mind that to get a good result, sand and fertilizer must be in a dry form. If the mixture is raw, it will not be possible to distribute the planting material well.
Sowing cells from under the eggs
Another method that proved to be excellent in practice and allows you to avoid the thickening of the seedlings, to spend a minimum of time and effort on planting carrots in the spring in the open ground and further care of it.
- In winter, prepare the required number of cardboard trays from under the eggs, picking up cells from a well-soaked, thin material.
- Cut holes in the bottom of each cell so that the roots can grow through them.
- Put 1-2 grains of carrot in each compartment of the tray, you can mix it immediately with a small amount of soil.
- Transfer the prepared trays at home to your garden and place them in the grooves in the garden.
- Water and cover with earth.
Planting carrots in starch paste
This method is more laborious and will require you to spend some time on the preliminary preparation of planting material.
Important! Advantages of the technology:
- uniform distribution of seeds, thinning of shoots is not required,
- no overspending.
Planting in spring:
- Prepare the solution from water and suitable mineral fertilizers by carefully dissolving them.
- Put the solution on the fire, add a little flour and starch.
- Boil the mixture, stirring all the time to avoid lumps.
- Cool, add carrot seeds to the paste, mix well. Due to the dense and viscous structure of the paste, the seeds will not accumulate in one place, but will be evenly distributed throughout the volume.
- Prepare a plastic bottle of suitable size, make a hole in the cap, insert a tube into it. It turns out a kind of syringe.
- Fill the bottle with a paste with seeds.
- In the garden, dig small holes, observing the recommended depth and distance.
- Squeeze the mixture from the bottle into each well in small portions.
- Water and cover with earth.
Carrot care after planting
Depending on how successful the planting technology you chose, how you did everything correctly, will depend on the time spent on further caring beds with carrots. In any case, the basic rules must be known and respected. These include such measures.
When growing this crop, it is very important to organize a good soil moistening, but without an excess.
Important! The lack of water will affect the small size of the roots, its taste. If excessive soil moisture occurs, the vegetables will be very large, but of a rough structure, not sweet. That is, all the vital forces will go exclusively on the size.
Classic carrot irrigation norms:
- Immediately after landing, the water flow should be about 3 liters per 1 m2.
- 10 liters per 1 m2 - the rate of watering after the second thinning.
- 20 liters per 1 m2 - water consumption at the stage of development of root crops and the formation of abundant foliage.
- 10 liters per 1 m2 - such a regime with a 2-week break will be quite enough in the last 2 months before harvesting.
- Lack of watering - 2-3 weeks before harvest.
Important! When organizing a watering schedule, consider the natural weather conditions. It does not make sense to additionally wet the soil, if there are frequent and heavy rains. If the weather is hot and dry, then the given norms are standards that can be somewhat adjusted based on the type of soil and its condition.
Weeding and loosening
These procedures are usually combined with thinning and watering as needed. Loosening is very necessary so that the soil does not harden and the vegetables at harvest are even and beautiful.
Important! The same measures will be an excellent prevention of rotting root crops.
The most dangerous pest is the carrot fly. But it is not necessary to treat the bed with insecticides to protect against it.
Enough to use effective folk remedies:
- tobacco dust,
- hot peppers,
- mulch from mowed grass or straw.
Important! Tobacco dust or pepper is sufficient only for planting and after thinning the seedlings to spray on the ground surface.
Planting carrots in open ground is not a very time consuming and very interesting process for those who really enjoy working with the ground. We hope that you didn’t have any difficulties with remembering the rules of planting and care, and you will get a quality crop of sweet, large, smooth and beautiful healthy root crops.
How to plant carrots correctly - tips and tricks
Who did not like to eat fresh carrots just picked from the garden as a child?
It is quite obvious that carrot lovers will find a great many.
Carrots owe their wide popularity primarily to their unpretentiousness in cultivation, their taste and, of course, their beneficial properties.
It is possible to sow carrots both in the spring, and in the fall, in an open ground.
Therefore, it is not necessary to create special conditions before it, but nevertheless, let us consider in more detail the main points of its cultivation.
What sort of carrots to choose for planting?
The choice of carrot varieties depends on the region.
For example, in the southern regions, short-day varieties are most preferable for growing, while in colder ones, long-day varieties are preferred.
In general, on the territory of Russia in regions with a temperate climate (not hot), long-day varieties containing more carotene are more often preferred.
There are other differences, such as:
- have less coloring,
- have increased yield
- large sizes of the root: up to 30 cm long and up to 5 cm in diameter,
- may have different shapes (conical, cylindrical, elliptical, etc.) and color (bright yellow, yellow, dark purple, white).
Carrot varieties have different ripening periods:
- early maturing - formed in 65-70 days,
- mid-season - formed in 67-110 days,
- middle late - formed in 90-115 days,
- late - formed in 120-140 days.
For harvesting for the winter preferred medium and late varieties.
At the same time, it is recommended to plant carrots with different ripening periods on the site in order to ensure the longest use of fresh root vegetables.
The most commonly chosen universal varieties of carrots, which include: Vitamin 6, Losinoostrovskaya 13, Nantes 4, Chantenay 2461, NIIOK 336.
How to make and where to arrange the beds with carrots?
- Soil for carrots
Carrots grow well on loose sub-sandy and loamy soils with a uniform top layer. Heavy and clay soils inhibit its growth.
- Crop rotation - after which you can plant carrots?
The best precursors for carrots are onions, cereals, beets, early potatoes.
The beds with carrots are best placed on lighted areas. They must be 15–20 cm high.
You can make them in the fall from a mixture of peat, sawdust, pine needles and sifted sand (on a bucket of peat half a bucket of sand), you can also add a quart jar of ash.
- Carrot seeding scheme
Seeds are planted in prepared, well-spilled soil, in the grooves in 15-25 cm to a depth of 1-2.5 cm.
Also for these purposes you can plant carrots on a ribbon or in granulated seeds.
Oktyabrina Ganichkina tells very well about this and shows in this video.
Consider the most productive varieties:
Carrot Alenka photo
Alenka is a variety of early ripening, you can harvest after 50 days of growth. With a root length of 12-15 cm weight is 145 g
Carrot Tushon photo
Tushon is an early ripening variety, its fruits are ready to be harvested after 2 months of growth. Weight - 150 g, length - 20 cm.
Carrot Nantes photo
Nantes - mid-season variety with a maturity of 85-90 days. The average length of the blunt root is 16 cm and weighs 165 g.
Carrot Vitamin photo
Vitamin - Root varieties are ready to harvest in 110-112 days of growth. Weight - 150 g, the length of the root - about 15 cm.
Autumn Carrot Queen Photo
Autumn Queen - late variety, ripening 125-135 days. Ideal for winter storage. With a length of 20 cm root weighs about 160 g
Carrots Flakke photo
Flakke - refers to the late varieties. Harvest can be in 100-120 days of growth. Root length of 30 cm weighs about 150-170 g.
How to plant carrots in the spring - the whole thing in the soil?
There is no big secret in a good harvest - the carrot will grow almost by itself to an impressive size in light, loose and nutritious loams and sandy beds, but on heavy clay and waterlogged soils you will get pale and gnarled roots. Stagnation of moisture for it is generally destructive! But the drought will not turn anything good either - the roots will be fibrous, coarse.
So look for a middle ground - the ground should be normally moist with a groundwater level at a decent depth. As in the case of beets, the spring planting of carrots in a freshly fertilized garden with dung is extremely undesirable, since root crops tend to accumulate nitrates, and they can become poisonous.
The level of acid balance is also important, so it must be ensured that the land into which the planting of the seeds takes place does not contain too much nitrogen, lime or ash.
The most optimal will be the preliminary preparation of the soil in the future carrot plot since autumn. If the soil on the site is heavy, add sand and peat to it, half a bucket per square meter. If the soil is poor, fertilize it: 2 kg of humus (rotted compost), 10-12 g of potassium salt (half a matchbox), 20-23 g of simple superphosphate (a full matchbox) should be added to each square meter.
What varieties are recommended for spring work
Each has its own requirements for carrots, as well as for other gifts of our gardens. Someone wants to pamper themselves and their loved ones with a sweet and healthy carrot as soon as possible, others are more concerned with the abundance of the crop, and for someone the most important thing is to provide themselves with vitamins from the bed for a long, long winter.
There are early-ripening, mid-ripening, as well as middle-late and late varieties. Those who can not wait to harvest, it is better to plant carrots before winter or in early spring. For this, the best varieties will be:
perfectly will be suitable for preservation, autumn salads and children's mashed potatoes.
Late grades demonstrate the highest rates of productivity and keeping quality:
How to prepare seeds for planting
And then, finally, the variety is selected, it gets warmer on the street and the question arises: how to prepare the future carrot for planting and should it be done at all? It is well known that carrot seeds differ in a certain tightness, as they contain a fairly large amount of essential oils. You can, of course, just sow them into the ground and wait for shoots, but if you prepare them correctly, then joyful green bushes will appear much earlier, and the red beauty will be more beautiful and stronger.
It should, however, immediately make the reservation that some varieties (hybrid, granulated, treated with disinfectants, imported) are not subject to any additional preparation. For all the others, the training seems appropriate, and you can choose the most suitable option for you.
- Check for germination. Sometimes it is enough just to smell the seeds that you are going to plant. Good, fit for planting, should smell like ... carrot. You can also use the floating method: pour water into suitable dishes, pour the seeds there and wait. Float out catch and throw, with settled to the bottom to work on.
- Soak. Place the selected seeds in a gauze bag and soak in warm water for about a day. Every 5-7 hours, wash the seeds and soak them again, preventing the tissue from drying out. If it is not possible to plant the seeds in the ground after a day, then you should transfer them to a damp napkin, wrap in polyethylene and place in the freshness zone of the refrigerator.
- Possible landing in the soil and pre-germinated seeds. To do this, after soaking, they are left on a constantly moisturizing material to create a greenhouse effect covered with polyethylene. As soon as the seeds begin to germinate, they need to be planted immediately. At the same time, the soil should be already heated and well hydrated.
You can apply and alternative. The same gauze bag with wet seeds should be buried for 7-10 days in the ground (it can be in the home box, or on the street if the snow is already falling) to a depth of 20-30 cm. Then the bag is removed, the swollen seeds are dried and planted directly in priming.
Some gardeners prefer not only to soak the seeds, but also to stimulate them by adding complex fertilizers to the water, such as sodium humate or potassium humate or “Effecton O” (1 teaspoon per liter of warm water), aloe juice (20 drops per liter of warm water ). Unusual, but quite effective is biostimulation with vodka. Seeds are still placed in a fabric bag and dipped in vodka for 7-10 minutes. Then the bag is washed in water at room temperature, the seeds are dried and sown in the ground.
In the third case, a natural glue base is applied on strips of paper, on which seeds are then placed at equal distances from each other, dried and rolled into rolls until it is time to sow.
When to land - terms
Traditionally, gardeners sow carrots in April or even May for more northern regions, however, the option of sowing for the winter in November is also possible, because the plant itself is frost-resistant.
The favorable days for disembarking in the spring of 2018 according to the lunar calendar are the following:
- March: 20, 21,
- April: 1, 3, 12, 13, 17, 18,
- May: 4, 14, 15, 19, 24, 31.
Planting carrots in spring: options and instructions for them
So, the day is suitable for the calendar and the weather, the seeds and the earth are properly prepared and you can start sowing.
Pick up for carrot beds should be well-lit places that will literally bathe in the sun throughout the day. If the soil on the plot is heavy, add sand and peat to it, half a bucket per square meter, if the soil is poor, fertilize it with peat, turfy soil, humus and mineral fertilizers.
Sow the seeds in the narrow grooves, which should be done at a distance of not less than 10 cm from each other. It is recommended to pour them with hot water and sprinkle with ash or chalk. Seeds need to be sown at a distance of about a centimeter. There is no sense in a thicker crop, because you still have to leave only the strongest plants, and pull out the rest. If the plants are located too close, then thinning can damage the remaining roots, which is why it is recommended to sow the carrot not thickly. In order to conveniently approach the carrot beds, it is not necessary to sow more than four furrows in a row.
To plant a carrot smoothly, you can use one of the methods for preparing seeds, which was mentioned above - you can buy or make paper tape with seeds glued with starch glue. All you need to do in the spring is to spread the ribbon along the furrow and prikat it with earth. This is the smoothest way, although it will take a lot of time to spend on it.
An alternative “glued” version is also used, in which paste is boiled (2 liters of water, 6 tablespoons of potato starch, cook on low heat, cool, pour carrot seeds, stir) and poured into the furrow.
Можно применить и вариант с посадкой 1-2 семян в каждое углубление яичных контейнеров из рыхлого картона, предварительно уложенных в грунт.
Пример посева на видео
Куда проще поместить семена в солонку с крупными отверстиями и встряхивать над подготовленными бороздками. Какой бы способ вы не выбрали, посев моркови весной все равно завершится прореживанием!
When the seeds are already placed in any way in the furrow, which is then required to be sprinkled with earth (1-1.5 cm), lightly slapping the top, if desired, still peporoshit peat chips and cover with polyethylene, which is removed at the first shoots.
And finally, you can not bother with any grooves at all, but simply mix the carrot seeds with sand and fertilizers, which are then sown directly on the dug-up ground, lightly covered with earth and slapped. The author of the method Galina Kizima argues that with this method of planting grows just wonderful carrots.
The first shoots and thinning
Carrot loves to sit long in the ground - sometimes shoots appear almost a month later. At this time, weeds are already rampant on the beds, so some summer residents sow lettuce or spinach seeds along with carrots, which serve as beacons for the gardener. In the planning of the garden, keep in mind that the best predecessors for the root crop are tomatoes, cabbage and potatoes.
Selection of varieties for sowing in the spring
So that the harvest could make you happy, for spring sowing you need to choose the right variety. Of course, everyone prefers different, consider the most preferred:
- Incomparable - this carrot has a pleasant taste and is well stored. It has long roots and contains a lot of carotene, it also sprouts well,
- Nantes 4 - a variety of juicy and tasty, well suited when the soil is dense. Root crops have blunt tips, their length is about 15 cm. Suitable for planting closer to winter, but also in spring,
- Losinoostrovskaya 13 - vegetables are juicy and tender to the taste, suitable for dietary and children's tables. Carrot mid-season and great for storing,
- Shantane 2461 - this variety is most suitable for storage in winter. Large roots are suitable for different purposes, they are very good, both cooked and fresh.
These varieties are the most common and well-known. If you want to enjoy the harvest in the summer, you need to choose the early varieties, and for winter storage - the middle and late, respectively.
The choice of a place for planting and planting dates
Carrot is a culture that loves open spaces in the sun and does not like shade. It grows well in places where previously grew:
But after the sorrel or parsley carrot grows bad.
With regard to the timing of planting, the optimal time in spring is the month of May. It is not recommended to plant a carrot too early, it may lie in the ground for a long time, and then rise too long. For a good fit, the weather must be steadily warm, it is desirable that the average daytime temperature be at least about 15 degrees, and the temperature of the soil - about 6 degrees. For central Russia and the Urals - this is April or the first half of May. May be the middle of May. But for the southern regions of the country, April is also suitable.
Preparing for planting carrots
By planting culture need to properly prepare. The soil for carrots should be light, loose and fertile. For planting in the spring, it is recommended to prepare the ridge in the fall, and before planting, only loosen the soil. Add humus to the ground, and when digging ashes. Do not use fresh manure.
Remember that this crop is sensitive to nitrogen fertilizers and is able to quickly accumulate nitrates in itself. The resulting crop will get more harmful, and the roots will have an unattractive appearance, and the smell of manure will attract pests.
You also need to properly prepare carrot seeds. In the dry form they can not be planted, soaking required or burying in the ground, so that they swell.
If you are planting seeds, do it right away in open ground. Seed preparation is as follows:
- soaking occurs in clean water at room temperature, you need to keep the seeds in water for 2 hours,
- then they are scattered on a damp cloth, and covered on top of another the same,
- seeds are kept in the room, stirring occasionally,
- soak the fabric when drying
- after full swelling of the seeds and at the beginning of spitting, transfer them to harden for 10 days in the refrigerator.
Landing features: instruction and video
When spring comes the right time, make grooves in the beds, water them and sow the seeds. It is not necessary to do this thickly, because during thinning the neighboring roots can be damaged. The optimal distance is 1-2 cm. It is recommended to paste the seeds on thin paper in advance. This may be toilet paper, you need to glue with starch glue. Since such seeds will not be soaked before planting, the grooves are watered well, then the crops are covered with humus and watered again.
In order for the seedlings to appear quickly and together, the garden bed should be covered with special material, film and old clothes in order to preserve moisture. When shoots appear, remove things and film, the covering material itself can be useful for reducing watering, especially in dry weather in spring. To make the rows visible, you can add radishes or lettuce to the rows of carrots.
Beds for planting carrots need to be sprinkled with ashes and thin out the grooves to a depth of 2.5 cm, taking into account the spacing of 20 centimeters, and leaving the ridges along the edges of 12 cm. Sheds spill water and plant the seeds prepared in advance. The distance between them is allowed no more than 1.5 cm. We level the grooves with the ground, and at the top of the bed, about 15 cm, we stretch the film for quick emergence, when the greenness appears, the film can be removed.
Some experienced gardeners, trying to facilitate the process of planting carrots, use different ways to do this. For example, many before planting seeds mix them with sand, while others stick the seeds on paper, as mentioned earlier. On the video you can see all the features of the process.
Care and possible enemies of carrots
When planting carrots in the spring, do not forget about loosening and thinning the soil. This procedure is set aside. it is impossible, otherwise the carrot will grow slowly. Approximately half a month after germination, the vegetables are pulled back the first time, leaving a distance between them of 4 cm. A little later, the distance is increased to 8 cm, for large varieties it is about 15 cm.
First, the bed should be well watered, after the first shoots turn green, watering is reduced to two times during the week. Despite the fact that the seeds do not all grow, after the appearance of the first leaves, seedlings still thin out and leave the strongest plants.
If we talk about pests of carrots, then the main enemy of this culture is the carrot fly. In young carrots, she lays eggs in the ground, then the larvae gnaws in the roots. Then they lay their eggs at the end of the summer, after which the vegetables grow poorlycoarse, get unpleasant taste and poorly stored.
In order to save the landing, the landing is thinned in the evening, the tops are immediately killed from the garden in order not to attract a fly. Similar actions are performed with the joint planting of carrots with onions. Loosening also helps well; in dry soil the carrot fly dies.
But if it was not possible to protect the crop from the pest invasion, it is recommended to wake the land between rows with ash along with tobacco and ground red pepper, the smell of which frightens off the pest. But this is for large beds will not work, immediately after germination, you can mulch the planting, over time adding shelter as it grows.
Key tips for planting carrots in spring are:
- hurry up with planting is not worth it, wait until the soil is warm enough,
- do not sow dry seeds in dry land,
- to improve the germination of the bed cover,
- take measures to protect against carrot flies, plant a number of onions next to them, leave them next to the garden next to thinning,
- loosening and mulch will contribute to a good harvest.
As we see growing carrots in spring is not so difficultif everything is done correctly at each stage and to comply with all deadlines. Then in the end you will get a rich harvest in the summer.