The granary weevil is one of the main and most dangerous pests of grain crops (barley, rice, rye, wheat, buckwheat, corn, and pasta), which can degrade stocks on the scale of both kitchen facilities and huge grain storage facilities. For farmers, its appearance is a catastrophe, because it is unobtrusive visually, a bug causes enormous damage to the crop.
Ambar weevil: description
Characterized by small size (about 4 mm), the pest bug is distinguished by a dark brown, almost black color, a narrow long body and the presence of wings. Such an insect is not adapted for flying, which does not prevent it from moving successfully over a considerable distance with the help of a human. On ships with industrial batches of grain, by land - by trains and cars, a granary weevil travels from continent to continent. How to get rid of such a dangerous insect?
The breeding process of such insects occurs during the warm period: the female in each seed with a thin proboscis gnaws a small hole (two in the corn grain), lays an egg into it, after which it slips a slit out of flour with flour. This trick makes the damaged grain looks almost indistinguishable from the whole. It is possible to distinguish a “catch” if a handful of grains are thrown into the water: damaged (populated) specimens will emerge, whole ones will sink to the bottom. When visual inspection can be seen that the grains with the larvae in color much dimmer intact.
The life cycle of a barn weevil
The fecundity of one individual is 150-300 eggs with a life cycle of 3-4 months, the males live a little longer, about 5 months. The duration of development of the larvae (about 3 mm long, white, with a brown head) depends on temperature and humidity and is 3-6 weeks. One can only imagine how many thousands of pests can produce only one pair of beetles per year. At a temperature of +4 o C, the larvae stop developing, and at –5 o C they die. Upon completion of development, they turn into almost transparent, 3-5 mm long pupae. After 7–22 days, the formed beetles of the new generation gnaw a passage in the shell and leave the shelter outside. The average lifespan of an adult specimen is about 2 years. During the day, one larva destroys 0.08-0.67 mg of grain, gnawing its internal contents, respectively, a mass number of these insects can destroy a significant amount of stocks.
Destruction of the beetle in kitchen supplies
How to deal with such a dangerous pest, like a granary weevil? How to get rid in the barn and in the kitchen from such a small but harmful insect? In the context of domestic stocks, when weevil is found in the rump, it is not worthwhile to eat the latter, because the secretions of insects and larvae contain carcinogens. Infected products must be thrown away, and with the weevil, engage in a tough and possibly prolonged struggle. Cereals are recommended to be stored in banks or hermetically sealed containers - not in packages that the granary weevil (photo above) easily gnaws with its sharp teeth. Granary weevils are heat-loving creatures and die at low temperatures. Therefore, as one of the ways to get rid of bugs, you can use the cold: products that serve as potential food for the weevil - put in the freezer. High temperatures are also destroying the tiny inhabitant. So, at +40 ° C, the granary weevil dies within 2 days, at +50 ° C - after 6 hours. After processing, food supplies should be placed in sealed containers with tight lids, inaccessible to insects.
Frighteningly on a granary weevil is garlic, peeled and placed in a container of cereals. For prophylactic purposes, cabinets where foodstuffs are saved need to be treated with a soap-vinegar composition. On the shelves you can decompose bay leaf and lavender, the smell of which the weevil does not perceive. You should not make large cereal stocks, products are better to purchase as they are used.
Ambar weevil: control measures
In warehouse it is very difficult to get rid of a granary weevil, because the insect hides in hard-to-reach places, and being inside the grains is practically invulnerable and can destroy from 10 to 30% of the harvested grain. The fight with barn weevil is in the following measures:
- Strong cooling of the grain (up to -10 o C), which can be used both as a preventive measure and in the process of exterminating existing pests. Cooling is carried out in dry weather with the help of ventilation and ventilation. This requires mandatory moisture control.
- Partly from the granary weevil can be disposed of by removing it on sieves with holes or by using aspiration preparations. Any movement of the grain mass negatively affects the state of harmful insects, reduces their number and development.
Chemical methods to combat weevil
One of the effective methods of getting rid of barn weevil is chemical disinfection of grain - a radical measure consisting in aerosol or gas treatment. Aerosol disinfection is carried out with the help of drugs "Aktellik", "Karate", "Fufanon", "Arrivo". This treatment, the advantage of which is the high efficacy of the drug, is made by special organizations. The disadvantages of this method include a long period of time before allowing the sale of grain.
Gas disinfection is carried out by such drugs as "Foscom", "Alfos", "Fostoksin", "Magtoksin". Pre-premises must be carefully sealed, and fumigation carried out with the involvement of specialized organizations.
Prevention Against Barn Weevil
It is important to comply with preventive measures:
- before falling asleep in the bunkers, it is necessary to clean the grain from weed and grain impurities,
- separately store grain of different harvesting periods and different humidity,
- thoroughly clean containers from last year's grain and garbage stocks,
- monitor grain moisture (not less than 14%), in the case of long-term storage, this indicator is recommended to be reduced by 2-4%, which increases the resistance of the grain to damage by the weevil and limits the vital activity of this pest,
- destroy infected stocks.
In case of severe contamination, it will be necessary to fumigate grain and storage facilities with preparations intended for this purpose.
As preventive methods, it is imperative to maintain cleanliness and order in warehouses, process them chemically (using gas pest control, aerosol and wet disinfection of warehouses), whitewash before falling asleep grain.
The grain should be checked for infestation by a granary weevil every 2 weeks in the summer and once a month in the winter. Infection analysis is carried out according to regulatory methods and standards.
Pests of fields, gardens and orchards
The elephant beetle (another name is a scythe) is a representative of the beetle family. The innocuous name hides behind itself one of the most dangerous insects, capable in the shortest possible time to destroy practically all existing plant species.
Weevils (from the Latin Curculionidae) belong to the order Coleoptera, one of the largest families of beetles. On the globe, there are more than 70 thousand. The priority habitat of insects is a country with a hot tropical climate. More than 5 thousand species of weevils have been recorded in Russia.
Representatives of the fauna in the majority are small bugs, not exceeding 8-10 millimeters in length. Only certain species of tropical inhabitants can grow to truly gigantic sizes - up to 5-6 centimeters. The appearance of adults may vary significantly depending on the habitat, diet and potential threats. Species affiliation divides the beetles into the following groups:
- in size,
- body shape (spherical, rhomboid, pear-shaped, rod-shaped),
- in color of chitinous cover (the color range is extensive, some individuals have a specific coating on the skin of pollen or scales).
origin of name
Elephant beetle - why was it called that? It's all about the constitution of his body. In small bugs, the head is uncharacteristically stretched forward, resembling a long small proboscis, from which the prefix "elephant" originated. The upper part of their body is also very similar to a long nose, so the insect has another name - weevil.
The whole family of scythes, depending on the structure of the front of the head, called the rostrum, can be divided into the following types:
- Long-haired. The rostrum is elongated; in most specimens it is bent and thinned towards the apex. The larvae live on the branches of plants or spreading leaves.
- Short bob. Rostrum of small size, it does not exceed twice the width of the base. In the land of the larvae feel protected.
In adults, the oral apparatus is located at the end of the proboscis. Cranked antennae sprout from a characteristic mace from apical grooves.
Female insects are larger than males and are more physically perfect. There are types and without external sex differences. An adult female, ready for breeding, gnaws dimples in the tissues of the leaves or stalks and lays eggs there. In one clutch there may be 25-30 larvae.
Long-trunk representatives of the species lay in apples, nuts and other fruits. Short-crested congeners develop in the soil, where they feed on plant roots. The worm-like body is thickened, fleshy. The shape of the larva is curved, resembles the letter "C". The outer shell is covered with rare bristles. The head is covered with a dense chitinous shell of dark color. The deterioration of the condition of the young individual can be determined by the change in color - it can vary from white to brown. After some time, the larva of the weevil beetle turns into a pupa. On it legs, rudiments of a head with a proboscis and wings will be well distinguishable.
Characteristics of the weevil beetle
The weevil beetle has a body about 3 millimeters long. It is painted in a gray-black shade. The parasite gives a clear preference for berry crops. So for a gardener who grows strawberries, raspberries and strawberries, getting rid of the pest is the number one task. Otherwise, you can forget about a good harvest. The miniature size does not prevent the pest from reducing the yield to 40%!
Interestingly, the weevil beetle does not feed the love of ripe fruits. They may not appear at all, since it is the buds of the berry culture that are attractive to the insect: there the females lay their eggs. When the larvae hatch from the eggs, they eat away the flower from the inside, which leads to the death of the bud.
How to get rid of weevil
How to protect the crop, which invested so much effort? The most effective way is spraying chemicals. The procedure must be repeated twice a year - in spring and summer. Choosing the right moment is even more important than choosing the medium itself.
The first spraying should be carried out 5 days before the buds bloom. The second time to spray the culture is necessary in the middle of summer. The purpose of the second procedure is to eliminate the new generation of insects before they hide for the winter.
Next, we consider in detail how to deal with the beetle weevil, by what means should be treated beds with berry crops.
Folk remedies against weevil
It so happened that most gardeners are afraid to use chemicals in their garden plot. In this case, invented many folk methods of struggle with the weevil beetle.
The following environmentally friendly methods are used against the pest:
- You can fight the mechanical way. In the evening, lay under the bushes of the newspaper. In the morning, go through the beds and shake the litter of sleepy parasites on the litter. After that, roll up the newspaper tightly and burn it.
- The desired result can be achieved by making this recipe: take 100 grams of mustard powder and dilute it in 3 liters of water. Spray the solution of culture.
- The smelling herbs have a good deterring effect: tansy, wormwood, bitter peppers. Herbs are made infusions and are also used for spraying.
- Another recipe: take 40 grams of soap, 3 kilograms of ash. This adhesive solution is widely used by gardeners who do not want to resort to chemicals.
- Ash itself also has an effective effect on pests. In the spring it is necessary to scatter it in a thick layer around the bushes.
Speaking of folk, "safe" means, it should be noted that any impact ends with the first rain. This is the main drawback of natural means of struggle. To achieve a tangible result, you have to repeat the procedure many times.
Chemical control agents
Undoubtedly, chemical drugs are more reliable in the destruction of parasites. In addition, a good effect gives the application of fertilizers, which include live microorganisms. These microorganisms protect the soil from the weevil beetle and other dangerous pests that lay larvae into the ground.
Here are a couple of effective chemicals:
- For spraying use such chemicals as Karbofos, Atellix, Metaphos and others.
- As a destructive and at the same time preventive method, the soil is fed with preparations of biological control of insects. For example, Nemabakt and Anthem-F.
- A fairly quick result can be achieved with the help of plant fumigation with gentle preparations.
The fight against the weevil can not be postponed until later. Firstly, the population is growing, and secondly, the risk of crop death is quite real.
Strawberry Weevil Extermination
Most often, the parasite can be found on strawberry bushes. How to deal with weevil and protect the fragrant harvest? First of all, you need to start to act in a timely manner.
As mentioned above, it is first necessary to spray the plants five days before flowering. This is a necessary measure that will help protect the future crop, scare away pests and destroy existing ones. The degree of effectiveness depends on the spray product chosen.
There are two options: hope for the effectiveness of popular methods or resort to chemicals.
A novice gardener can be confused by a wide variety of drugs. The controversial advice of more experienced gardeners is even more confusing. The wrong choice of means will not only bring no results, but will lead to the loss of precious time and own efforts.
Make a competent assessment of the situation and accurately choose a strategy can only specialists of the specialized health service, whose task is the destruction of dangerous insects.
The larva of most species of weevil is a threat to crops, plants and trees. Crop buds are used by females for laying eggs. Actually, it is the weevil larvae, and not adult individuals, that cause the main damage to berry bushes and lead to a significant decrease in the yield of strawberries, strawberries, raspberries, as well as pears, apples and cherries. On conifers, insects also parasitize, using it both as a house and as an object of food.
If you could not prevent the appearance of parasites, then you should not miss the critical moment - the appearance of the second generation, that is, the breeding season. This is the last chance to save the harvest.
This is one of the largest families of insects, numbering more than 50 thousand species. Only predatory beetles (short-winged or stafilins) can compete with them in numbers. It is difficult to find such a plant in a world that would be more or less unfamiliar with the weevil beetle.
Let's meet more closely with the most prominent representatives.
This representative can be called the most original. It lives on the island of Madagascar. For such a name, he should thank his neck, the length of which sometimes exceeds the length of the body. An interesting fact is that the long neck is inherent in the males. Its length helps the males to fold the leaf so that the female can lay an egg there. From the photo you can see what a strange look this little "giraffe" has.
The elephant weevil has an elongated proboscis, hence the nickname. This subspecies is often found on the territory of our country. The insect has an unusual property: if you throw it into the water, it will not only not drown, but will not even get wet. This happens because the beetle's legs are covered with water-repellent felt, which allows it to calmly move on the water surface. On fruit trees, mostly elephant-bekarka and elephant-brant are parasitic.
Еще его называют слоник сосновый. Несмотря на милое название, это опасный лесной вредитель, проживающий в хвойных перелесках. Личинки развиваются под корой пней деревьев, поэтому личинки безвредны. Но когда они превращаются во взрослых особей, они атакуют хвойный молодняк, выгрызая кору. Это может привести к гибели неокрепшего растения. Pine weevil has a brown color with yellow dots that form two longitudinal stripes.
Blue Pine Weevil
This species is a black beetle with a bluish tint. He also has affection for conifers. He gnaws holes in the young shoots and lays eggs there. The larvae hatch from the eggs and begin to move inside the tree trunk, then pupate. The cumulative activity of the larvae and adults leads to drying and death of the trees.
Large Pine Weevil
This subspecies of the long-nosed insect is another enemy of the forest. In size, it is much larger than its relatives - body length reaches 14 millimeters. His appetite is also good. Great for young trees. By the way, this species practically does not occur in the old coniferous forests. The beetle has a bright brown or chestnut color with transverse yellowish or orange stripes and specks.
What is a weevil? The insect larvae resemble light colored worms shaped in the shape of the letter C. On the body you can see a short stubble, the head is protected by a dark-colored chitinous shell. The larva can live both underground (eating roots), and on the surface, nibbling the foliage and stalks of plants.
After a certain period of time, the worms turn into pupae. On them are formed legs, wings and heads with an oblong trunk. Despite the change in body, the color remains the same.
They easily eat and the roots, and leaves, and stems, and, of course, fruits and berries
The appearance of adult beetles is diverse and is associated with a specific purpose. Insects are divided into several classes.
- Depending on the length - long-trunk and short-trunk.
- Coloring - yellow, green, red cover. Some, besides color, have a unique pattern on the shell.
- Body shape. Weevils beetles are rod-shaped, spherical, pear-shaped and rhomboid.
- Body length The largest insects reach a length of 0.5 cm.
Adults have a head with a cylindrical proboscis, with which they feed and lay larvae. Females are much larger, but this is the only difference between them.
On the pupa you can see the beginnings of wings, legs and head with a proboscis. Her body is soft and painted in a light color.
For reference! Insects are secretive nocturnal. During the day, the bug hides in the upper layers of the soil and the root system of the plant. Lifespan is 2 seasons. For a short period of life, one individual is able to bring offspring in an amount of from 100 to 1000 eggs.
The most dangerous species
Weevil beetle can harm any plant. The most dangerous of all is considered to be a beet, barn, walnut weevil and stone fruit beetle.
dangerous insect for sugar beet. In the spring, before the emergence of the product, the beetle eats weeds, after which it gradually passes to the crops. After their “work”, the beets are thinned and lose their sugar content.
Weevil granary - lives in the grain. It is the most common in the world. Females are able to lay about 200 eggs in holes, gnawed in cereals. Further deposits are covered by secretions. After such processes, the grain is no longer usable.
Dwells on the bushes. The female eats green walnut fruit. The larva spoils the nut from the inside, completely eating the flesh. If you do not start the fight in time, the insect can damage the whole tree.
Adult eats buds and leaves. Deferred larva is located inside the fruit (bird cherry, plum, sweet cherry and cherry). When new fruits appear, the female makes a hole in the soft bone and lays an egg.
Interesting to know! The first single outings after wintering weevil holds in April, and the mass output occurs in the middle and end of May.
How to rid the plant of pests
How to deal with weevils? Synthetic preparations in liquid form for spraying crops are considered effective.
Karbofos helps against stone fruit beetles and beet parasites. For 50 g of medicine, you will need 5-6 liters of water. To carry out the treatment, while laying the newspaper under the plants every evening for 10 days. In the morning, shake every bush, collect newspapers and immediately burn it.
In the fight against walnut weevils can not do without colloidal sulfur in a concentration of up to 2%. Spray once every 10 days. Also helps Bordeaux liquid.
Barn (grain) weevil requires a special approach. Several chemical agents are suitable for fighting (Arrivo, Karate, Fufanon or Actellic). The whole process is aerosol treatment. Only after it can not be used for a long time grain.
Important to remember! Insect pests quickly adapt to adverse conditions. Alternate insecticides, active ingredients and dosage.
Symptoms of defeat
If the plant is infected with an adult parasite, then deviating “patterns” will stand out along the edge of the leaves. One can find out about the presence of larvae in the soil only after the plants wither due to the complete nibbling of the roots.
In order not to buy a weevil cure in the future, it is necessary to remove weeds in a timely manner and to properly observe the cultural neighborhood. The main thing is to love the plants and take care of them on time.
How to deal with weevils in the garden?
Weevil wrestling: basic tools for effective help.
- Feed with live organisms that do not give adult parasites and larvae to attack the soil.
- Chemicals for spraying. Remember that such substances should be handled with care. The first time, spray berry bushes five days before flowering. In the middle of July, process the bushes a second time - so you will destroy the new generation of beetles.
- Folk recipes for the destruction of weevils, which our great-grandmothers successfully used.
Fight with chemicals
Spraying by chemical means - reliable protection against hostile insects. Among the popular drugs - Malathion, Metaphos, Atellix.
There are so-called biological control preparations of insects - Antonem-F and Nemabakt. Another way of confrontation - fumigation with not too aggressive drugs.
The sexually mature insect has rigid wings that smoothly flow into the rostrum of an elongated cylindrical shape. Thanks to her, the pest can not only feed, but also lay off larvae. The wings are well developed, which allows their owner to quickly overcome long distances. For wintering bugs burrow into the ground or last year’s foliage. With the onset of heat (when the ambient temperature exceeds +10 degrees Celsius), they begin vigorous activity.
What does an elephant eat?
Insect is not selective in food, consumes leaves, stalks, eats fruits and roots of plants. Depending on what the elephant beetle eats, entomologists divide insects into the following groups:
- Monophages - pests that consume strictly one type of plant.
- Oligophagous beetles that feed on horticultural crops similar in appearance.
- Polyphages are omnivores, destroying any vegetation in their path.
These features mainly determine the habitats of weevils.
Some members of the species can benefit a person. This is a massive destruction of weeds. Such insects are widely distributed in Brazil and Australia. Several kinds of useful skosars were brought to the Russian territory, where, until today, they continue to struggle with salvinia, which pollute water bodies.
The main types of elephants
It is impossible to describe all the larvae of weevil beetles and adult individuals living in the territory, due to the countless number of them. Below is a brief description of the most common species.
Ambar weevil. A small representative of the species with underdeveloped wings. Spread throughout the world with cereals, which are actively eaten, thus representing a danger to the contents of barns. Females make holes in grains of cereals or legumes and lay up to 300 eggs at a time. Harvest damage is done by both adults and larvae. Due to the extensive extent of the damage, the grain after the invasion of weevils is not suitable for food. The barn elephant beetle has several subspecies: rice, corn, rice shirokoobotkovy.
Nodule striped weevil. In length adult pest reaches 5 millimeters. Impresses legumes. The larvae destroy the root system, mature insects eat the leaves and stems. For the season, the female of the species lays a record number of eggs - up to 3 thousand!
Beetroot skosar. Large-sized beetle with a shortened trunk. The body is lined with thick ash-gray scales. What are the dangerous elephant beetles of this species? They destroy the sugar beet harvest. The pest appears on agricultural land in early spring and feeds on weeds before germination. Mature individuals eat the young shoots of sweet culture. The larvae damage the root. As a result, the quality indicators of beets are sharply reduced.
Weevil - fruit pest. Of particular danger to fruit trees, destroying all their parts, from the ovaries and young shoots to flowers, bark and wood. The most common are vetch, Crimean, cherry, black and other types of garden pests.
Acorn elephant beetle. It differs from its relatives by an elongated thin proboscis, the dimensions of which are equal to the dimensions of the body. The nose ends with strong jaws, turning into a drilling machine. Females lay eggs in oak acorns that have reached maturity. Drilling a hole in the fruit sufficient to create a clutch takes up to 8 hours for a female. The inside of the acorn is a favorable environment for the growth and development of the larvae that feed on its juicy pulp. Upon reaching maturity, insects gnaw through the outer shell of the fetus and burrow deep into the soil. Pupation occurs in the spring.
Berry weevil. Destroys crops of raspberry, strawberry, strawberry, blackberry, grape and other sweet crops. The most common in Russia is a pest of this group called the earthy little elephant. It hibernates and parasitizes plants in the bushes in the spring.
Buckwheat or Ussuri squash. Destroys crops and a crop of valuable culture. Adult representatives of the species harm ripe kernels, the larvae eat the stems and leaves.
To join the struggle with the weevil and protect the crop from destruction or spoilage, it is necessary to become more familiar with its development, feeding method and reproduction characteristics.
Basic methods of dealing with elephants
Agronomists and gardeners embarking on the cultivation of crops should take a set of measures to destroy and prevent the appearance of weevils. It is also necessary to get rid of pests at the household level.
In large agricultural companies practiced such methods of dealing with elephant beetles:
- Deep plowing and loosening of the soil in the spring and autumn period is a real opportunity to destroy the eggs laid in the ground or the larvae preparing for wintering.
- Infected plants are removed and burned.
- The practice of rational crop rotation.
- The use of modern insecticides.
The above-described measures to combat the weevil in the complex will provide a significant reduction in the number of insects in the fields and in storage.
Skosar in residential areas
Weevil beetle in an apartment or a private house - a common phenomenon. In the human home is always warm, comfortable, there is something to eat. This is the most favorable breeding environment. In order not to say goodbye to stocks of grain and cereals, owners of apartments and houses should react in a timely manner to the appearance of unwanted guests and systematically carry out preventive measures in order to prevent their return.
First of all, all cereal stocks should be sifted, flour sifted, found pests collected and destroyed. An effective way to disinfect damaged cereals is roasting or freezing. The described method has its drawbacks: after prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures in the room, general cleaning will have to be carried out.
Types of bugs - weevils in the garden
There are about 5,000 species of beetles (elephants). A characteristic feature of the family is an elongated proboscis in front. There are short-nosed and long-nosed elephants. The type and length of the insect is determined by the type and length of the proboscis:
- In short-nosed weevils, the larvae develop in the ground, feeding on small roots and plant remains.
- The larvae of long-hoped elephants grow in the tissues of plants, which are a source of food for them.
Weevil larvae have no legs. The body has a fleshy, compacted structure. Color may vary depending on the type of insect: white, beige, red, brown.
Different types of elephants can differ among themselves in:
- size and shape of the body.
Adult weevil beetles lead an active life at night, during the day they burrow into the ground. The development of some species takes place in the fruits of trees, in young shoots. Beetles gnaw through long passages under the bark of trees, thus damaging them.
Consider some types of weevils that become frequent pests of gardens and orchards.
Learn how to deal with common shrew on the site and prevent the reappearance of the animal.
How to get rid of fruit flies in the apartment? Effective ways of dealing with annoying insects are described on this page.
The beetle is black with a size of 1.5 cm. Its belly is gray and the back is brown. The body is covered with thin hairs. An active lifestyle begins in spring, when the first shoots of beet appear on the garden. In addition to beetroot, elephant damages carrot, cabbage, cucumber, bean sprouts. The larva is white, feeds on the roots of plants. The beet weevil is adapted to different weather conditions. In case of severe frost, it can burrow into the ground to a depth of more than 60 cm.
Beetle size 7-8 mm dark color. This species of insects is almost omnivorous, can fly. In spring, young shoots of winter crops become the first food. Then the insect goes to the sunflower, corn. Do not hesitate elephant and weeds.
Prefers to spend the winter in a ground where corn has grown before, at a depth of up to half a meter. After wintering, beetles crawl to the surface and begin to mate after 10 days. Females lay 10 eggs each at a depth of 0.2 m. In the first half of August, adult beetles emerge from the pupae.
The most dangerous pest for cereals. Distributed mainly in the southern regions. The beetle is well adapted to the absence of high humidity. Can eat dry food (tobacco, dry fruit). If conditions permit, the female can reproduce up to 8 generations of beetles throughout the year.
This is a large group of small insects 4-6 mm in length. The main source of food are fruit trees. First, the pests affect the young buds of plants. Then buds and flowers become their food. In the first half of summer, weevils gnaw through the ovaries of the fossa fruits, in order to lay eggs there.
Fruits in which fruit elephants often settle:
Raspberry - strawberry
Black beetle 3 mm long. On the wings there are oblong grooves and gray hairs. The larvae are white with a yellow-brown head. As soon as the first green appears, an active search for food begins. Plants that damage the beetle:
When the first buds appear, the females gnaw holes at the side for laying eggs. This can lead to the death of 90% of the strawberry crop and more than 50% of the raspberry crop. In the middle of summer young insects appear. Their nutrition is the young leaves of the same plants.
How to fight: effective methods
How to get rid of weevils? To destroy the bugs in the garden you need to start as soon as possible. Otherwise, you can go without a crop. There are several effective ways to deal with weevil in the area.
You can attract natural enemies of weevils to the garden. They can be insectivorous birds, ants of the family Formicidae and wasps of the family Vespidae.
In a specialty store you can buy powder with nematodes. It is diluted with water and left for 1 hour. Formed adhesive remove, add more water. Water the affected plants from watering cans. Nematodes penetrate into the larvae of the weevil and destroy them. Carry out the procedure after sunset.
- Fill a large container with husks of garlic, onions or pine needles. Pour water and leave to wander for 2 weeks. Filter the infusion and add more water (concentration 1:10). Spray the plants at intervals of 5-6 days.
- 150 g of chamomile flowers pour a bucket of water. Insist day, add 50 g of soap.
- 400 g dry wormwood chop and pour 10 liters of water. If you take fresh leaves, they will need 1 kg. Insist 24 hours, boil for 30 minutes. Add 40 g of soap and process the plants.
How to get rid of mice in a private house and what are rodents afraid of? Read the helpful information.
О том, как бороться с проволочником на картошке и не допустить размножение вредителя написано на этой странице.
Перейдите по ссылке http://parazitam-stop.com/nasekomye/muhi/drozofily.html и узнайте о том, как бороться с дрозофилами в жилых помещениях.
- Плодовые культуры лучше сажать на возвышенности подальше от дикорастущих растений.
- Почва должна быть хорошо дренирована. It needs to be loosened more often.
- The tops and fallen leaves should be immediately collected and destroyed, until the larvae had time to go into the soil for pupation.
- Shake the beetles in the spring during the swelling of the kidneys, while the temperature is below 10 degrees.
- Arrange trap belts until the buds appear at the top of the trunk of trees.
- Scare off bugs with wormwood. Plant spread out on the beds and in the aisle.
- Collect and destroy rotted fruit, windfalls.
- To whiten tree trunks with a solution of lime.
- Observe the correct neighborhood of crops and crop rotation.
Learn more about the rules of struggle with raspberry - strawberry weevil, learn from the following video:
Like this article? Subscribe to site updates via RSS, or stay tuned to Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki, Facebook or Twitter.
Subscribe to email updates:
Tell your friends!
I have never encountered this type of pest in my garden. But who warned, he is protected. I consider chemical insect killing to be harmful to my own health. Best natural products and folk methods. Since this reptile lives in the ground, then I heard about a good method, when strong cold pour out boiling water on the ground near trees and shrubs in the garden and garden. They say so killed all insects and their larvae. But I take into account all the methods described in the article. It's just that it’s everyone’s business, which method of pest control they should choose.
And, unfortunately, I am well acquainted with the weevil, as if I didn’t keep the plot clean, anyway, this pest “stays” with us every year. I do not use chemistry, but why? Spending on drugs to poison the soil and yourself? I use wormwood, it grows at every step. The smell of this grass is very pleasant, but the weevil simply does not digest it. I also use boiling water, pouring in the pest moves. I pour in some sunflower oil in advance. Why I’m doing this, I don’t know, it seems, they help the expulsion of weevils, but the method works well.
The pest refers to an insect that is in the beetle group. Because of the structure of the front, it is also called the elephant beetle. It has a small size, the length of the beetle grows only a few centimeters. Different species have their own different shape and color. Only in the territory of the CIS there are about 5,000 of these pests, and even more around the world. That is why each of them is very difficult to write. The family is divided into several groups.:
Long-legged beetles have a proboscis, which may even exceed the length of their own body. Thanks to him, he pierces a layer in the plant. The larvae will develop and receive all the necessary nutrients inside the plant, which will eventually die.
Short-weevil weevil less dependent on the use of nutrient juices. It is worth noting that such beetles are recognized as more versatile, since their structures allow them to feed not only on plants, but also on planting material. The larvae get their development by digging into the soil.
Most weevils eat only plants, but some can also consume organic residues that decompose. Weevil can lay a lot of larvae, which from an early age will devour landings and harm crops.
It is very important to have information not only about how the insect looks, but also to be able to recognize the larvae. They are very small in size and painted white. The head of the larva is brown and has jaws. They can be confused with the usual caterpillar, but the larvae have no limbs, unlike the butterfly children.
If the baby weevil grows in the ground, then it will switch to eating the roots.
Kinds and harm
It is worth noting that all varieties of weevil prefer to eat different cultivated plants. To know how to properly exterminate such pests, you must be able to recognize their species. Weevil is very dangerous because this insect can feed on both roots and inflorescences.
If a colony of similar beetles starts on the territory, then they can easily exterminate all the apple, raspberry or strawberry. In the case when the parasite enters the barn or another similar structure, then in winter a person can lose a very large amount of grain. Severe harm will be inflicted if this grain has been prepared to be sown with it. The fact is that the spoiled material for planting will not be able to come up anymore and we should not wait for the harvest.
- First you need to learn how to identify a barn weevil, who loves to destroy the cereal crops that are in different storage facilities. Insects grow 4 mm in length. Painted in brown. The fight against this parasite is carried out at the official state level. It is worth noting that the barn variety is very different from the corn and rice. They feed only on "profile" plants.
- Striped weevil. This pest often attacks legumes. The beetle is able to devour all the plants that are legumes. We are talking about lentils, beans, soybeans, peas. The beetle also represents a great danger because after full sprout it will be able to destroy the green part of the plants, and the larvae will be engaged in the roots. It should be noted that the females of this species are very fertile and can lay about 3 thousand eggs in just one season. In this case, the pest will be very dangerous for planting.
- Fruit weevil. This group should include pests that destroy fruit crops. They will eat everything that grows on trees. Under the destruction will fall even bark. Pests are dangerous not only because they can eat the crop, but also cause irreparable harm to the tree itself.
- Pochkovy. As the name implies, this species can feed on buds and buds. The beetle has a gray-brown color. The length can be 6 mm. The larva grows in the ground, and therefore can damage the root system of the nearest tree.
- Bone beetle. This variety likes to settle on plums and cherries. Fully grown individual can destroy the crown, as well as the buds of trees. The larvae begin to develop inside the fetus, climbing into the bone. An adult beetle can grow up to four and a half millimeters. The color is brown.
It is necessary to know for sure that absolutely all fruit trees, such as cherry plum, apricot or apple, can fall under the risk group. And also many others.
Vegetable varieties belong to the last group of pests. These parasites will climb into vegetables and can destroy entire fields. The scale of the disaster, they can even be compared with the locust. This parasite has such power that when it appears, it is necessary to close all landings to quarantine.
- Cabbage weevil. This parasite often settles in cabbage, buckwheat or turnip. There are several varieties that can destroy the green part of the plant or the roots and roots. The beetle grows to a length of 3 mm and is colored gray.
- Beetle beetle. This parasite very often settles on corn or sunflower. It should not be confused with the barn variety, which will only be harvested by harvested corn. This type of weevil destroys not collected crops, and young shoots. Thus, he can completely destroy all the weak plants that are on the site. Females are not very fertile, but they can live up to 2 years. And this means only that during two seasons they will produce larvae and thereby destroy the landing. It is worth noting that the beetle is very difficult to detect, since it is well masked with a gray-brown color. In length, it grows only 1 mm, and therefore even more invisible.
Extermination should begin at the first sign of appearance. Otherwise the beetle will multiply. A very harmful insect is the weevil. The fight against it must be of high quality, whether it is a green weevil, gray or brown.
Prevention and destruction
It is very difficult to make prevention against this type of pest. The most dangerous is the beetle, which is called the barn. In order to prevent the occurrence of this pest on your site, you must follow certain instructions:
- Before the products are sent to storage in the barn, it is necessary to warm them up very well, and then to cool them thoroughly. This is explained by the fact that the beetle does not like sudden temperature changes.
- Grain must be well dried, as the weevil prefers to destroy the wet varieties.
- It should immediately get rid of various impurities and debris that can be found in the green. That is how beetles penetrate the barn.
- It is necessary to use specialized drugs, which include phosphorous hydrogen.
Separately, it is worth mentioning that the granary pest does not tolerate sharp odors, and therefore, if a pest has entered the warehouse, then it is necessary to put garlic inside. Bay leaf and lavender also help very effectively with wrestling.
To avoid the appearance of weevils that can hit legumes, certain preventive measures:
- While the planting period begins, the soil should be well loosened, and then dug up. Thus, it is possible to destroy a large number of larvae.
- Weeds from the site must be removed.
- It is advisable to sow very early.
- It is best to do zoning sites and plant perennials at some distance from the annual.
These tips are quite effective in helping fight the bean variety. Special attention should be paid to digging, because it is desirable to exterminate as many larvae as possible.
To prevent the fertile beetle, which can infect cultural fruit trees, it is necessary adhere to the following instructions:
- Planting fruit species should be carried out as far as possible from wild plants. The place must be very well drained.
- It is necessary to establish the so-called catcher belt, which is placed absolutely on every tree at the time when the buds begin to swell. From the trunk it is necessary to cut the bark so that the beetles could not get inside the bast. The cut must be well treated with adhesive tape, which has a double-sided sticky part. And also there is an option to use paper that is coated with adhesive. Thus, the movement of the tree can be limited. When the flowering process passes, the “belt” must be burned. It is worth noting that such a belt can be stopped not only by the weevil, but also by various beneficial insects, and therefore for no reason it can not be installed.
- You should use whitewash consisting of lime milk. This should be done at the moment when the kidneys begin to swell. It is necessary to whiten the bark only, since whitewashing the root part cannot provide any effect.
- In the autumn it is necessary to clean the trunk from the old bark.
In order to prevent the appearance of beetles on your plot, it is necessary to carry out preventive actions that will help preserve the crop in the whole state. We must be very well aware that the weevil is usually settled in those areas that are badly cared for by people.
The parasite has a very small size, and therefore multiplies rapidly. That is why it is extremely difficult to eliminate it mechanically. Even if the barn has a small area, thousands of pests can live there, and therefore, one by one, there is no point in destroying them. The mechanical method justifies itself only when there is a struggle with a pest in a small area. For example, it is easy to find a weevil on a strawberry planting.
The same actions can be carried out with fruit trees. In this case, a large number of newspapers or sheets should be laid out around the tree, and then the plant should be shaken. All parasites must fall. When the procedure is completed, the paper and sheets must be burned.
The biological method of struggle involves the use of other insects and living organisms that will eat or expel the weevil from the site. It should be noted that in no case can this method be used in cooperation with chemical preparations.
- It is worth starting with ants. There are varieties of these insects that kill weevils. But ants can also cause some harm, as they bring the aphids into the territory.
- Birds are more faithful allies in the destruction of uninvited guests. To set them on the weevil, you need to place on the site a few feeders, near those trees and plantings that were hit. Thus, you can not only get rid of malicious bugs, but also enjoy the singing of birds.
- It also helps the insect predator called ground beetle very well.
Weevils have a very large number of species. Around the world, more than 70 thousand species are known. Every year all new types open. And therefore should be prepared to fight the weevil.
If the beetles have filled the entire area, it is necessary to use toxic chemicals. To get rid of weevils, you must use insecticides. This kind of poison can destroy absolutely any parasite. But it is necessary to understand that different cultures can react differently to such a chemical.
The most popular and affordable tools are the following:
In order to cause minimal damage to your plants, it is necessary to strictly observe all the precautions specified in the instructions. This results from the fact that different cultures need to be processed in a various dosage.
It should be noted that it does not make sense to use strong preparations in the event that the losses from the weevils are insignificant. Indeed, in this case, you can poison all your microflora in the area.
Most common types
Crimson flower . It has a black three-millimeter body. On the wings there are gray hairs and longitudinal grooves. The larvae are white with a yellow-brown head. In the initial stage, the pupae are white, but before the emergence of the beetles darken. Winter wait under the remnants of vegetation.
Eat start with the appearance of the first green. When the strawberries and raspberries pick up the buds, the weevil females gnaw at the side and lay an egg in the bud. Then the female gnaws a pedicel, which is why she breaks off and the bud with the egg falls. A week later, a larva comes out of an egg, which lives and eats in a bud for a little more than three weeks. After pupation occurs. After about 10, a crimson flower eater appears.
In mid-July, you can see a massive exit. By the end of the month, the insect begins to seek shelter for wintering. One female tsveroyeda lays about 100 eggs, which first damage the strawberries, and then attack the raspberries.
Southern Gray Weevil . This omnivorous beetle can fly. It begins to feed when the first greenery appears, more often on winter crops. Goes to corn, beets, sunflower. Weeds and weeds. The length of the dark body is 7-8 mm, the wings are developed.
After wintering, which the insect spends in the ground, more often on the field after corn at a depth of about 0.5 m, they get out of the ground and mate in 10 days. After that, the female lays about 300 eggs into the soil, to a depth of 20 cm. Laying is done in small groups - up to 10 eggs. Roots of plants serve as food for the larvae, which they eat for 60-70 days. In the pupal stage, the insect spend about 20 days. In early August, adults appear.
Stone Flower Flower. Dangerous pest affecting stone fruit. Adults feed on leaves and buds. The larvae live in the stone fruits of such trees:
The beetles reach a length of 4-5 mm, have a yellow-brown color without shine. In spring, when the earth warms up to 9 ° C, overwintering insects crawl out of the ground and begin active feeding. When young fruits are tied, the female gnaws at the soft, still shell of the stone and lays an egg. Fetal development proceeds in the bone. So that the young beetle had the opportunity to get out, for about two days it should gnaw through a hard shell. When the flower beetle leaves the fruit, it climbs into the soil and prepares for wintering.
Weevils that feed on deciduous and coniferous species can cause great harm. It also brings trouble weevil granary - damaging grain crops in the period of their growth and stored grain.
How to deal with weevil
The most effective method of dealing with weevil is still the use of chemicals for spraying garden and horticultural crops.
Actellic . The drug is especially helpful in spraying raspberries and strawberries. Two milliliters of the drug is diluted in 2 liters of water and planting sprayed immediately. This amount is enough for processing 10 m². Subsequent processing is carried out after 6-7 days. Do not use the drug for 20 days before harvest. The product does not apply with Bordeaux mixture.
Malathion . The drug effectively fights beetles living in:
The solution is prepared at the rate of 60 g of funds for 6-8 liters of water. Защита длится примерно 10 дней, и по истечении этого срока требуется повторная обработка.
Народные способы, профилактика
Чтоб избавиться от вредителя следует приложить определенные усилия. Есть несколько способов достижения результата.
- Старайтесь сажать землянику, малину и другие культурыwho likes to damage the weevil, in different corners of the garden, so that the bug is more difficult to move from object to object.
- Folk remedy is treatment of buds of flowering plants with water solution of household soap, powdered mustard or wood ash. When this applied spray.
- Another folk remedy is landing of the "protective strip" garlic and onion: these plants are planted around the affected crops, their sharp smell will scare away the pests. To heighten the effect, arrows onions are regularly cut.
- When the weevil is already wound up, you need to deal with it more radically: spray insecticide inta-vir, gardon, metafos. The solution should fall on the buds (this treatment is carried out a week before flowering and is repeated several times during the summer). The same applies to indoor plants affected by the weevil, when in the summer flower pots are exposed to fresh air. But the treatment of already flowering plants will not give the expected effect.
- You can get rid of any insect repellent shaking it off on a newspaper or tape, laid under the affected plant, and then destroyed. The procedure is best done in the morning while the beetle is sleeping. Weevil does not fly, and after a night of coolness is somewhat retarded.
- In the autumn, cleaning the garden, collect and burn the remains of the plants affected by the beetleto destroy the insects hibernating in them. Around the trees, the ground is well digged, and the trunks are cleaned of moss and dry bark, where weevil larvae can also be found.
Treatment with insecticides is the reason that bees do not sit on the treated plant to pollinate it. So, you need time to carry out the prevention of infection, so as not to be left without a crop.
Weevil will scare away the ash, which is scattered in the spring around trees and bushes. Does not like insect and odorous grass, spread out in between the rows and in the beds. Wormwood will do. Timely removal of weeds, cleaning plant debris, competent neighborhood of crops and their crop rotation will prevent plant damage by the pest.
Other preventive measures:
- In the autumn cut the leaves.
- Break off the bad buds.
- Shortly before the first frost, cover the strawberries with tight black polyethylene and do not remove it until spring. When the temperature reaches 40 ° C under the coating, wait a week, then remove the film and get rid of the pest.
- In the autumn it is recommended to dig up the soil in the beds.