Wanda is an epiphytic plant (epiphytes live in trees, but do not parasitize, but use them as a support). It belongs to the Orchid family. It grows in a tropical climate. Area - Indonesia, the Philippines, North Australia, China.
An orchid of monopodial type (no pseudobulb, one stalk with one growth point is formed). Gray-green powerful roots are covered with a porous tissue of dead cells. The fabric easily absorbs moisture from the environment and retains it. Additionally, it performs the function of protection against aggressive sun exposure.
The stem is high, with good care stretched to a meter. Leaves dense, leathery type, belt-shaped. On the stem are arranged alternately, opposite. The colors are usually pure green, sometimes with a bluish tint.
During flowering wanda releases long peduncles from the sinuses. Each peduncle carries up to 15 buds. Depending on the age and condition of the plant, from one to four peduncles are simultaneously formed. Duration of flowering - up to three months. It blooms two or three times a year.
The subtleties of choosing a seedling in the store
When buying an orchid vanda you need to pay attention to the origin of the plant. It is better to acquire not with it, but in specialized stores. Examine the tag - it indicates the variety, basic information about the plant.
- The origin and age. Imported from other countries it is better not to buy copies. They are very difficult to endure acclimatization, often die. Preference is given to orchids grown in the local climate. The optimum age of the plant is from two years.
- General state. Carefully inspect the vanda for pests, evaluate its overall appearance. The absence of leaves in the lowest part of the stem is considered normal, exposing to the middle of the height - deviation. The flower is clearly unhealthy or grown in inappropriate conditions. Because of this, there may be problems with adaptation.
- Root system The size of the roots does not matter. Pay attention to their color. The color of the healthy roots is uniform, without stains. The consistency is thick. The presence of soft areas indicates the initial stage of decay.
- Leaves. A healthy leaf is firm and smooth. Do not buy a vanda with folded, wrinkled leaves.
The genus includes about 50 species. Wands easily interbreed, which allows breeders to regularly please flower growers with new varieties. The most common types of vanda orchids.
- Wanda valkovataya. Tall species with a developed root system. Under natural conditions it grows up to three meters. In apartments to such sizes does not grow. Each peduncle forms up to six large flowers. Petals are rounded, wavy edges. Lip (accrete lower petals) three-blade. The middle of the lip is purple, the sides are yellow with small red dots. Color is usually in the middle of autumn.
- Wanda is blue. Blue coloring - a rarity among orchids. It looks unusual, interesting, beautiful. The stem is well developed, straight, meter height. The toothed belt-like leaves are arranged in two rows. On one peduncle is going to 15 flowers. Coloring monophonic or with a reticulated pattern. The lip is small, intensely colored. It blooms in the fall.
- Wanda tricolor. Height to one and a half meters. Belt leaves are arranged in two rows. Each peduncle forms up to ten fragrant large flowers. The color is white or cream, often with brownish specks. Petals egg-shaped, wavy along the edges. The lip is large, guitar-shaped in the center, painted in bright purple or pink. It blooms repeatedly and continuously - from October to January, from May to June.
Due to the air roots, the vanda receives moisture and nourishment not only directly from the substrate, but also from the environment. Therefore, they grow vanda in classical and non-standard ways.
- In hanging baskets. The roots are bare, the substrate is not used. This is the most common and most successful way to keep vanda, imitating being in natural conditions. Caring for vanda orchid roots in this case comes down to regular spraying. Sprayed not only the root system, but also the foliage. In the summer they are sprayed daily, in the winter - once every three to four days.
- In a plastic pot. Wanda is planted in the substrate from the crushed bark of coniferous species. Water less often, only after the substrate is completely dry. Judging by the reviews of experienced flower growers, the pot is not the best solution for vanda. The risk of root decay increases.
- Growing vanda orchids in the flask. Popular, spectacular, but the most unfortunate way of growing. Air access to narrow glass vases is difficult. The plant does not receive the necessary amount of oxygen, the root system is not ventilated, rots. It is not recommended to grow vandas in vases and flasks.
Basics of care
Like all orchids, vanda is demanding of conditions. Vanda home orchid care is organized according to its peculiarities and the natural growth environment.
- Lighting. Keep on diffused bright light. Direct sunlight is avoided. Grown on the south or southwest window. In the summer at noon, prune with tulle. In the winter découple phytolamps.
- Temperature. The allowable temperature range for the spring-summer period is 18–27 ° C. Wanda can withstand a temperature increase of up to 35 ° C under the condition of shading, regular ventilation and high humidity. By the end of autumn, the temperature is reduced to 15–22 ° C.
- Humidity. A prerequisite is a high humidity of at least 60%. The optimal rate is 80%. Increase humidity in two ways - by systematic spraying, installing a pallet with water and decorative pebbles. The use of electronic humidifiers is encouraged.
- Feeding. It is advisable to use special fertilizers for orchids. Universal mineral complexes for flowers contribute in a reduced dosage. Cut it in two or three times. Fertilizers in high concentration lead to burns of the root system. Top dressing period - in spring and summer in the phase of active growth.
- The soil. You can use ready-made soil for orchids. But it is better to cook it yourself. The substrate is made up of pine bark and sphagnum. Additionally, add charcoal, foam chips. At the bottom of the pot when planting put the largest pieces (bark, foam), the rest of the space is filled with the fine fraction.
- Transfer. Wanda does not like transplants, long recovering from them. Transplanted in extreme cases. Indications for transplantation - the transformation of the substrate into dust, its souring, a small volume of the pot. Transplantation during flowering is not allowed. It is better to do this after the end of flowering or in early spring before the start of active growth.
Features of watering and spraying
In the evening, the flower is not watered. Properly water a vanda orchid in the morning. Roots bathe in warm water for about 15–20 minutes. Understand that the plant received enough moisture can change the color of the roots - they become green. Daily bathing is recommended only in hot weather. The rest of the time they take breaks between the procedures for two or three days.
To neutralize the carbonates, every three months some citric acid is added to the water for irrigation. You can reduce the frequency of bathing to once a month, the rest of the time costs by spraying. Water is better to use soft - spring, rain. For artificial water softening, you can add special preparations for water in aquariums. For plants, they are completely safe.
If the vanda is grown in a glass vase, water is poured directly into them. Waiting for a change in the color of the roots, the disappearance of bubbles on the surface and pour out excess liquid.
Duration of daylight hours
In temperate latitudes, Wanda receives a sufficient amount of light only in summer. At other times, the lack of light is compensated by installing fluorescent lamps. The optimal duration of a day is 12 hours. The table shows data on the length of the day during different periods of the year and the recommended number of hours of illumination.
Table - How many hours of illumination does a vanda orchid need at different times of the year?
Mysterious aspects of the life of a “queen with a beard”
Homeland plants - Southwest Asia, some species are found in southern India, northern Australia. Recognition in the photo gives him a smooth cylindrical stalk, leafy fleshy leathery leaves, located strictly in two rows and an armful of gray-green roots.
The even tropical climate with no noticeable seasonal changes in temperature and humidity has determined the life cycle of this orchid species. To understand how to care for the beautiful Wanda at home, look at her life in nature.
Wanda - a plant with high growth energy, one hundred percent epiphyte, unlike phalaenopsis and other monopodial relatives, is capable of developing a powerful root system over 2 m long. Freely hanging, in the photo they resemble a beard - hence the nickname “orchid with a beard.”
Due to the absence of seasonal fluctuations, it constantly actively grows vegetatives, alternating the growth of roots and leaves with the flowering periods. Large specimens reach a size of 60–120 cm, for a year they can grow 6–8 leaves, drive out from 1 to 4 peduncles, on each of which a brush of 2–15 flowers blooms.
Healthy appearance, regular flowering in nature and home conditions of the plant provide three factors:
- bright daylight, at least 12 hours a day,
- humidity in the range of 50–70%,
- good air circulation.
If there is an opportunity to create such conditions, feel free to start a Vanda orchid; if they are available, it is easy to ensure proper care.
It is interesting! Vanda Orchid is a herbaceous long-livers. Under normal conditions, it lives, develops well and blooms up to 30 years.
The genus Vanda includes more than 50 species, not counting the numerous intergeneric hybrids and Greek, which are most often grown at home. Here are a few varieties that have successfully taken root in greenhouses and ordinary city apartments.
- Blue vanda is a large orchid growing to a meter. Throws out a long arrow, blue flowers with a mesh pattern with a diameter of 10 cm are tight, exude a pleasant aroma, retain their decorative effect for up to 1.5 months.
- An even larger Wanda is tricolor, it reaches the size of one and a half. A distinctive feature - short flower stalks, immersed in the leaves, each of which blooms 7-10 fragrant flowers, similar to asterisks. The variegated color is creamy white with red-brown or purple specks.
- Wanda Sander is recognizable in the photo by the lush apical inflorescences of white-pink color with a clear zoning - white upper petals, dark pink lower.
- Wanda Rothschild is a stable hybrid with dense inflorescences consisting of medium-sized round flowers of all shades of blue.
- Ascocend is outwardly often positioned as a Wanda flower, recommending the same conditions of detention and care. Differs in the smaller sizes, high plasticity, it is easier to acclimatize at home, it is plentiful and long blooms.
Abundance of light
So you can characterize the first and most important requirement, without which the most thorough care will lose its meaning. This orchid is considered the standard of light-loving. Not receiving the prescribed 10–12 hours of intense illumination, she stops growth, boycotting flowering.
Ideal room maintenance - glazed balcony, loggia, bay window with a light source from several directions. The south window will completely satisfy the plant from October to March; in spring and summer, in the afternoon, the glass is shaded; if possible, the flower is transferred to the window with eastern or western exposure.
Tip! Symptoms that say that your pet lacks light — dark green leaves, and the top pair is shorter than the last one, stalling roots, tightening the tip with a white cloth of velamen. If this happens, the plant will be backlit or changed location.
The most favorable is considered such a temperature regime in which the flower is actively increasing its biomass. For the group described, this is the range of 22–28 ° heat with a night decrease of 6–8 degrees. In the summer of Wanda is useful to make the open air, terrace, open balcony or loggia, especially at night. At this time, the plant stores carbon dioxide necessary for photosynthesis. Without daily fluctuations in temperature, especially if it is hot and dry, the plant will not fully grow.
Appearance and features
Very beautiful representative of the orchid. Natural habitat - the tropics. It is found in China, India, Northern Australia, in the Philippines. Monopodial epiphyte with a powerful root system. The roots are long, hanging down. Characteristic of their coating porous layer. The coating contributes to the absorption and retention of moisture, protection from sunlight. The color of the roots is grayish green.
The stem is straight, up to a meter. Leaves are belnered, elongated, very dense. Characteristic of the next location. The colors are pure green or with a bluish tinge. Orchid throws long stalks out of the leaf axils. The most common orchid is Vanda blue, there are a lot of different colors and shades. In the coloring of hybrids there are different color combinations. Some varieties smell good.
It has an interesting feature - the newly bloomed flower is pale and small. Gradually, it increases and becomes brighter. Duration of flowering - 3 months. Periodicity - from 1 to 4 times a year.
Important! The success of growing orchids depends on the quality of the seedling. Purchase an orchid with a tag that contains information about the manufacturer and the plant. Recently imported from hot countries seedlings are difficult to endure acclimatization, are ill, often die. Choose a plant grown in our lane.
Pay attention to the number and condition of the leaves. Stripping the bottom of the stem is permissible. Lack of leaves to the middle of the trunk should alert you. Healthy leaves - elastic, smooth. The health of the root system is assessed by the absence of rot and even color. Size is not the main indicator.
Ways of content
There are several ways to grow Wanda orchids. One of them is preferred depending on personal preferences and interior design.
- The standard content of Wanda is in a suspended state, without the use of a substrate. The orchid is placed in hanging baskets or plastic containers with openings for unimpeded air circulation.
- Looks beautiful orchid Wanda in the glass. Use vases of a specific form. Bottom - extended, top - narrowed. The shape of the container facilitates convenient placement of the plant without additional attachment A common mistake of gardeners - Wanda is in a vase in its entirety. The correct location - the upper part - above the vase, the roots hang down. At the bottom it is recommended to pour large soaked hydrogel balls, periodically adding a small amount of water to them.
- It is allowed to grow a flower in ordinary plastic pots. Substrate - crushed pine bark and sphagnum.
It is considered difficult to grow a plant. It is not recommended to start breeding it for beginners.
- Lighting and choice of location. Choose a bright, well-ventilated place. Stable air flow is important. The optimal location is south or southwest. In the heat, mostly at noon, the orchid is prune. Good growth and systematic flowering is possible only under the condition of a long daylength - 12-15 hours. In winter and in cloudy weather, artificial lighting is used.
- Temperature. In the warm season in the daytime - 20-25 ° C, at night - not below 17 ° C. In the cold time of the day - 20-22 ° C, at night - 14 ° C. The flowering of Wanda is stimulated by maintaining systematic changes in daily temperature with a difference of 8-10 ° C. For each class conditions of detention are selected individually. For example, varieties with blue flowers overwinter at a daytime temperature of around 14 ° C.
- Watering. Oriented to the state of the roots. They should dry out. Three methods of irrigation are used - spraying, moistening the substrate, immersing the roots in water. Constant overmoistening is fraught with root system rot.
- Humidity. Maintain at 60-70 ° C. Dry air leads to abscission of buds, drying of leaves and roots. Spray the orchid daily. Use warm, well-settled or softened water. In winter, the air is additionally moistened - tanks with hydrogel, wet expanded clay, sand, and sphagnum are placed; artificial fountains are used. High humidity requires ventilation.
- Feeding. Fertilizers are applied at every watering regardless of the season. Use complex tools for orchids. Concentration - 8 times lower than indicated on the package. Root and foliar supplements alternate.
Water the orchid right!
- Теплый душ — растение полностью поливают из душа чуть теплой водой, хорошо просушивают. Летом процедуру повторяют через 2-3 дня в зависимости от погоды.
- Обильное опрыскивание. Летом — 2-4 раза в неделю. Зимой 1 раз в неделю.
- Погружение корневой системы в воду. Once a week, the roots for 10-15 minutes immersed in a container with water at room temperature. Try not to wet the leaves.
How to multiply?
Orchid reproduction is not an easy task. Practiced by two main methods of reproduction.
- Children. The main method of reproduction is the lateral processes. Use processes with its own root system. The height of a viable child is not less than 5 cm. It is carefully cut off from the mother plant with a sharp knife and placed under cover. The first time contain high humidity from 85% and above. Sections are immediately powdered with coal powder. At home cultivation the orchid very seldom increases daughter sockets.
- Apical cuttings. Cut off the top of the stem with aerial roots. Place it in a substrate of sphagnum and crushed bark. The first 3 days require abundant watering. Further, the frequency of irrigation no more than 1-2 times a month.
Orchid is practically unaffected by pest attacks. Occasionally, aphids, spider mites, or mealybugs can be found on plants. Among the diseases common Fusarium. The main symptom is brown spots at the base of the leaf. Treatment - spraying the drug "Fundazol." Often you have to deal with bacterial rot. The only salvation is the removal of the affected areas and fungicide treatment. The remaining problems are related to violation of the rules of care.
What does a Vanda orchid look like?
This plant has a strong root system, and its roots have a gray-green color. Each of them is covered with a thick layer of dead cells forming a porous surface that absorbs water from the air and the substrate.. And such a layer of dead cells protects the roots from sunlight.
The plant stems reach a meter in height, and the leaves are leathery and dense, elongated and have a belt-like shape. Their color may be green, but may have a gray tint. The leaves are located opposite each other. Among other external characteristics of the Wanda flower:
- the flower forms long flower stalks that grows from the leaf axils, each flower stalk has up to 15 flowers,
- 1-4 flower stalks may be present on one flower at a time,
- A characteristic feature of Wanda’s orchids is that immediately after disclosure they are pale and small, but then they become larger, even larger, and their color also becomes brighter.
Orchid Vanda blooms about 3 months, the frequency of flowering depending on the content is several times a year. There are many shades of Wanda, for example:
- blue and blue
- orange and others.
Orchid Vanda and its varieties
The most popular varieties of this plant are as follows:
- Blue Wanda - has an erect stem about a meter long. Many well developed roots. Dense and belt-like leaves, which are arranged in two rows. Peduncle and many-flowered brush has a length of the order of half a meter, on the same pedicel there are on average 6-12 flowers. The flowers themselves are fragrant and large, their diameter is about 10 cm, they have a bluish-blue tint and a mesh pattern that is darker. The lip is smaller compared to other parts of the flower and has a more saturated color. Over time, the flower becomes darker,
- tricolor - the plant is tall and dark, its height is more than 1.5 m. The leaves have a length of 25-40 cm, they are leathery and belt-like, placed in 2 rows. One inflorescence has 7-10 fragrant flowers with a diameter of 7 cm, having the shape of a star. Sepals and petals are wavy and oval, have a wide nail, can be white or have a cream shade, or have dark red spots. The lip is of the same size with petals, it is three-bladed, the middle large lobe is guitar-like and has a pink-blueberry tint,
- Wanda Sander is a large plant and leaves are belt-shaped, have a length of up to 40 cm. The inflorescences are straight apical, can include up to 10 flowers of pink color with a white border and a yellow-red lip with a diameter of up to 15 cm
- Rothschild flower - this orchid variety was obtained by crossing the variety Sander and blue Wanda. It has belt-like leaves and many-flowered inflorescences 5 cm in diameter of light blue tint,
- Valkovaya Orchid - has a well-branched stem up to 2.5. It is climbing or drooping, has many aerial roots. Peduncle contains 3-6 flowers of red or white-pink shade, they reach 10 cm in diameter. Sepals and leaves can be oval or in the form of a diamond, almost round and wavy along the edges. The middle labial has a purple color, it is wide-wedge and bifid, and the lateral lobes have a yellow base and red specks.
How to choose orchid seedlings Wanda
Successful cultivation and care for any plant at home depends a lot on how well you picked up the material for planting. So, to grow a flower at home, go to a specialized point of sale and make sure that there is a tag on the orchid, which shows:
- flower information
For cultivation at home, it is recommended to choose the flower that has previously grown for at least 2 years in local conditions. But those flowers that have just been brought from exotic countries, are difficult to acclimatize.
Acceptable purchase option - these are missing leaves at the bottom of the stem, but if the stem is more than half naked, then it is better not to acquire the plant. The roots may be small, but it is necessary that they have a smooth color, and they were not rot.
If the leaves are folded in half and there are wrinkles on them, it is better to refuse the purchase. Leaf plates should be elastic and smooth.
Further care at home you need to pick up The right place for orchids and create a good suitable microclimate.
Vanda Orchid: home care
The Vanda orchid is in great need of its roots being richly watered. To this end, they need to be lowered for about 10-20 minutes in warm water. Well suited long shower, when the water at the same time is under great pressure. This is probably due to the fact that in natural habitat orchids often rain showers.
Flowers under the shower watered for 20 minutes. When moistening the roots do not allow water to fall on the flowers, stems or leaves. Such procedures should be arranged once every 3-4 days in sunny weather and once a week when overcast.
From autumn to spring, the plant should be watered less frequently, but with regard to heating, it is necessary to humidify the air at home. If the roots are covered with bark, then it should be moistened in the summer every 5 days, and every two weeks in the winter.
Also, the plant needs regular feeding, at a young age, Vanda is fed by immersing its roots in a complex mineral fertilizer once every two weeks, and an adult plant is fed in the same way once a month. To this end, 15 g of fertilizer is dissolved in 10 liters of water. Lack of fertilizer can be identified by the poor flowering of orchids.
Also care isso that during prolonged heat from 30 degrees and the plant above did not overheat, otherwise you could die.
New plants are also shown quarantine, if there are signs of damage by pests, the leaves should be washed with soap and water.
So the whole home care includes such activities:
- providing sufficient diffused lighting,
- good watering
- regular mineral supplements,
- infection prevention,
- plant root support.
Temperature and lighting
For successful cultivation of orchids at home, the optimum temperature is about 20-22 degrees. In the summer, if the temperature does not fall below 16-18 degrees, the plant is best placed on a balcony or loggia. For flowering to be successful, the difference between day and night temperatures should be about 8 degrees.
Also the air should not be dry, it is necessary to moisten it with a special device or regularly spray water in the room.
We have already said that the flower Vanda needs sufficient lighting. It is best to put it on a window that faces west, south or east. On the south windows in the summer you need to create a slight shading, in the winter this place is the best.
In winter, when the light day is shorter, and the sun rarely shines, the temperature decreases, respectively, the flower hibernates, which is completely inherent in the natural growth conditions. If necessary, provide the flower with additional artificial lighting so that it eventually receives light for at least 12 hours a day.
When there is insufficient light, the leaves of the flower become dark green, the growth of the roots stops, and the ends are tightened with a film, there is no young process. All these signs indicate the need provide additional light. If this is not possible, watering is reduced to once a week or less, but so that the leaves and wrinkles, also at this time the plant can not be fed.
Substrates and flower food
It is best to grow such orchids without substrates. The best option is free exposed roots. It is best to mark the flower in special containers or pots on the basis of natural branches. Some grow a plant in pieces of bark.
Top dressing necessary during active growth, when at the ends of the roots appears new regrown part.
Top dressing needs to be added to water for watering. Concentration should be taken very carefully; if it is very high, the delicate regrown roots will get burned. It is recommended to use special mineral fertilizers and act strictly according to the instructions, or floral fertilizers for indoor flowers, such as:
Dosage with their use is reduced by 2-3 times. Fertilizer should be applied once a month.
Most often, Wanda’s orchids are susceptible to Fusarium, a fungal disease in which the leaves and roots are damaged.
With the wrong care of the plant, the disease enters the active phase. This is especially true for errors when wateringwhen the green part of a plant becomes wet, and also it happens at bad illumination of a room. The most vulnerable plants are in autumn and winter at low temperatures and inadequate lighting.
As a preventive measure, remove roots that have dried, damaged and darkened, and leaves that have been severely damaged. If there are cuts on the green part, sprinkle them with crushed coal and process with brilliant green.
If the leaves at the base turn brown and yellow and fall off in turn, this indicates the presence of the disease. At the same time quickly remove the damaged part of the stem, the cut is performed about 6 cm above the upper affected leaflet.
You can try to save the crown, where a part of the stem remains, if it can take root, that is, the stem is strong below the cut. And the cut itself must be protected from getting wet.
Transplantation and reproduction of orchids
In case the pot becomes small or there is a need to notice the substrate (about once every six months), the plant needs to be transplanted. It can not be done during its flowering.
When the orchid at home gave the lateral process, it can be separated and grown. But remember that it will begin to bloom only in a few years. The process must be separated only when several own roots of 5-6 cm in length have developed on it.
Those cuts that appear during the separation should be powdered with crushed coal and processed with brilliant green and antifungal agents. Wet places need at least a week.
Planting need to be in a small pot of a suitable size, or a glass, the substrate is not needed. Watering is carried out in a similar pattern with an “adult” flower, only the roots need to be kept in water for about 10 minutes, the time increases as the color grows until it grows up.
So, we told about the features of Wanda's orchid and how home care should be for this flower so that it will successfully delight you with its flowering.
This is a light-loving plant, but it should not be allowed to fall on the leaves of the direct rays of the sun, as they can cause burns. If the light is too little, the plant may not bloom. Duration of daylight should be about 12 hours year-round. Such an orchid prefers diffused, but at the same time bright lighting. If necessary, vanda can dosachivyvat fluorescent lamps. In summer, when the temperature outside will be at least 16 degrees, the flower is recommended to move to fresh air. First, it must be placed in the penumbra, and the sunlight should be taught gradually.
The fact that light is enough for a plant can be understood by the color and size of foliage. Color should be normally green. So, if the leaves are dark green - the plant does not have enough light, if the pale green, yellowish - the lighting is too intense. In the case when the last pair of leaflets is longer than the penultimate one, the lighting is made more intense, and when, on the contrary, the penultimate couple is longer, then the illumination is reduced.
Loves warmly. So, when grown in the middle band, the temperature requires from 18 to 30 degrees during the daytime and not less than 16 degrees at night. It should be remembered that the higher the temperature in the room, the higher the humidity required by the plant. And also the frequency of airing should increase.
To stimulate flowering, the plant shows daily temperature drops. In this case, the temperature difference can reach up to 10 degrees.
How to water
This plant needs wet and dry cycles, which should be alternated. When it is hot on the street, it is necessary to water the vanda once a day, and in the cold season - once every 1-2 days (preferably before lunch). Stagnant water near the root system should not be.
This flower can be watered in several ways:
- Hot shower - This method is most suitable for vandy. The plant should be placed in a bath and very warm water should be watered from the shower until the roots change color to green. Leave the plant for 30 minutes in order to drain all excess fluid. After 60 minutes after a shower, the leaves should be wiped with a napkin made of natural fabric.
- Immersion - pot with orchid should be immersed in a container filled with water for 30 seconds. Then the plant should be reached and wait another 30 seconds until the excess fluid flows. Thus, only absolutely healthy plants are watered.
- Watering can - watering is made from watering can. Water should be carefully poured on the edge of the pot until the liquid starts to overflow from it. After the excess water is drained, watering must be repeated.
- Spraying - This method is applicable to vand grown with a bare root system, because it dries faster.
Top dressing of this flower consists in moistening from a sprayer or soaking it in water, which is 5 or 6 degrees warmer than the air temperature. This procedure is performed in the morning, and on hot summer days at noon. Moisten the plant in the evening or at night is prohibited, as this may provoke the development of the disease.
Fertilize vanda need 1 time per month with mineral fertilizers. All components of the fertilizer should be taken in equal proportions. 13 grams of ready fertilizer is dissolved in 10 liters of water. Feed the plant during watering. Young specimens, if desired, are fed 1 time in 1-2 weeks.
To understand whether you fertilize a vanda, you need to pay attention to its appearance. With a lack of nutrients - flowering is weak. If the plant is overfed, it becomes sluggish and the upper part softens. Pay attention to the young leaves, on their surface there is a pale green strip of centimeter width. A narrower strip indicates a lack of fertilizer, and a wide one (up to 2 centimeters) indicates a surplus.
Before transplanting this orchid, you should inspect the root system and remove the rotten parts. Make it necessary until the roots are dry. Systematic transplantation is required for young plants, and for those with very long roots it will be difficult to take root in a fresh substrate.
The plant needs an urgent transplant if:
- the substrate is strongly caked and does not allow air,
- the substrate is of poor quality, it does not let water well and dries out for a long time,
- the soil is dirty and unbalanced,
- roots are too deep in the ground,
- rot appeared on the root system.
Seed propagation is used only in the laboratory. When grown in an apartment wanda can be propagated vegetatively. To do this, separate ½ part of the upper segment of the stem and plant it in the ground. It should be placed in a shaded, warm place and provide regular spraying (1 time per day). Do not water. Places cut with shredded charcoal.
Pests and diseases
Wanda can become infected with the following diseases:
- Atrophy of flower parts - occurs due to over-drying or overheating of the root system. Can not be cured.
- Spider and transparent mites Thoroughly wash the leaves with soapy water. You can use special chemicals, but most often they are ineffective.
- The appearance of cracks on the sheet plates ― могут появляться из-за охлаждения после проведенного полива, чрезмерного удобрения, в результате механического повреждения, из-за большого количества азота в грунте, а также из-за ожогов солнечными лучами. Не лечится.
- Чрез воду либо воздушно-капельным путем может передаться грибковая инфекция - on the surface of the foliage appear blackish bumps, mucus and strange patterns. The plant must be isolated, removed the affected parts, disinfected and treated with a fungicide.
- Viral infection - annular spots appear on the surface of foliage. Can not be completely cured.
- Wet rot (bacteriosis) - caused by bacteria.
- Heat burn - the plant has been exposed to excessively heated air. Looks like a sunburn.
- Fusarium wilt - at the junction of a leaflet with a shoot, a depressed dark spot is formed. The sheet plate crumbles and dies.
This species has a large branched stem, which can reach a height of 3 meters, as well as a large number of roots. Valkovye leaflets in length reach 20 centimeters, and their diameter is only 3 millimeters. On the peduncle there are from 3 to 6 flowers of sufficiently large size, so, in diameter, they can reach 10 centimeters.
Sepals and petals with wavy edges have a rounded or rhombic shape. The lip (several petals fused together) has a three-lobed shape. The wide wedge-shaped central lobe has a purple color, and the lateral ones are colored yellow and reddish dots are located on their surface.
Blossoms in October.
Its straight stem in height can reach 100 centimeters. There are a large number of roots. Toothed belt-like leaves in the upper part have an oblique cut. Clusters may be oblique or straight, and they grow exclusively upwards. The peduncle bears from 6 to 15 large flowers (diameter up to 10 centimeters) of lavender color, and a mesh pattern is placed on their surface.
Broad ovate or lapaceous sepals taper to base. The small size of the lip stands out for its rich color. This plant blooms in October and November.
Its straight stem can be in height from 150 to 200 centimeters. Belt-shaped long leaves grow in 2 rows. On the peduncle can be located from 7 to 10 fragrant flowers of large size. They have a cream or white color, and also have brownish spots on their surface.
Egg-shaped petals and sepals have wavy edges. The nail is wide. The three-lobed lip is similar in size to the flowers. The guitar-like central lobe is rather large in size and is colored pink or purple. The blades, located on the sides, rather small. This plant blooms from October to January, as well as in May and June.
Conditions of detention
Since this variety comes from hot latitudes, the conditions of detention should be appropriate:
- air temperature should be in the range of 16-29 degrees, if the room is more than 30 degrees, the plant may die,
- humidity must be within 80% (this figure can be maintained by regular spraying of the plant),
- Wanda does not require any substrateits root system must be constantly open. In extreme cases, you can use oak bark as in the cases with Phalaenopsis,
- this plant very light-loving, but it is necessary to limit the direct sunlight on it. It is especially important to observe the correct lighting in winter, in summer the orchid can be brought to the balcony
- water the plant, as well as other varieties of orchids: as the soil dries.
Wanda root system can be left open.
Wanda has no periods of rest or active growth.. Only during flowering can stop the growth of its leaves. Severe temperature fluctuations can trigger a lot of diseases for the flower. It is best to keep the Vanda open (without adding soil).
Planting and transplanting
Planting and caring for Wanda have their own characteristics:
- for its landing does not require any soil. Very often, lovers of orchids simply hang the plant on the wall and make up its root system open,
- for less experienced flower growers it is allowed to use a small amount of substrate in the form of oak bark,
- You can also use a plastic container in which a lot of holes are made. The entire root system of the orchid is placed into it, and through the holes it receives a sufficient amount of moisture, light and air.
This orchid variety does not need transplantation. Wanda does not like to change a pot, so buying an orchid in a store in a small plastic pot is better for a while not to disturb her with transplants. Today, many orchid lovers prefer to grow Wanda in large glass pots. We will talk about this a little later.
Like all other types of orchids, Wanda breeds by transplanting her babies.. This phenomenon is quite rare they can be separated from the main root system when reaching a length of not less than 5 cm. After cutting children, the place of attachment to the roots must be treated with charcoal to avoid multiplication of the infection.
Orchid Vanda (photo with baby).
Babe is placed in a special pot and kept in greenhouse conditions, while the humidity should be about 90%. The substrate used is wood bark and sphagnum moss (4: 1). Thus, the baby is kept until it grows to a length of 20 cm, then it can be transplanted into a regular orchid pot and continue to be cared for as an adult plant.
It should be noted that Any other means of transplanting this plant is prohibited.. However zealous growers sometimes try to reproduce Wanda with seeds. This is a very long and laborious process.
Features of the process, how to grow from a seed:
- seeds are grown in a nutrient medium, which is obtained under sterile laboratory conditions,
- germination duration is about 9 months,
- it takes up to 3 years to get a bone that can be transplanted,
- flowering plants grown in this way can wait up to 4-10 years.
For reproduction, therefore, you will need Wanda orchid seeds, moist soil (moss and deciduous soil), conditions of complete sterility, temperature within 25 degrees, humidity - 80-90%. After the appearance of the first leaves you need to spend their dive.
How to plant?
For landing Wanda in such a tank you need to choose a pot that has a conical shape. In it carefully place the roots of the plant in such a way that the leaves were on top of the sides.
A healthy orchid has bright green leaves and stems, is distinguished by a rich flowering. The roots are not dried, they have a natural color.
The correct position in the vase.
When grown in glass no substrate required. Watering should be carried out no more than once a week in winter and 2 times a week in summer. More frequent hydration can lead to decay of the root system and the death of the orchid.
You need to follow the lightingas glass interferes with penetration of sunshine.
Wanda is a very whimsical plant, so its owner needs to gain a lot of patience, and then the flower will definitely thank him. When yellowing orchid leaves need to check:
- temperature in the room
- is there an unpleasant neighborhood
- humidity and lighting levels
- fertilizer overfeeding.
Sometimes the plant is prone to naturally dropping leaves. Root rot may be caused by excess moisture, so it is worth reducing the amount of watering.
Reset flowers and buds may occur due to overheating of the orchid. In this case, be sure to monitor the temperature in the room where Wanda is kept.
Resuscitation plant in the absence of roots
This can be done by growing new roots from the neck of the plant. Technology, how to reanimate such a Vandu:
- you need to take the usual boiled water and orchid area,
- it is placed in a vessel so that the leaves remain on top,
- put in a kind of greenhouse, where the temperature is maintained around the clock at 25 degrees,
- as the liquid evaporates, it needs to be added.
Within a few months you can see fresh roots and transplant orchids.
Reanimate an orchid by placing it in water.
Diseases, their treatment and prevention
For prevention, you need to carefully monitor the temperature and humidity., treat the plant with fungicidal drugs. If rot is found, the orchid should be treated with a solution of antibiotics.
To prevent the multiplication of pests, you can treat the Vanda alcohol-soap solution.
You will learn all about caring for Vanda from the video below:
About the adaptation and treatment of Wanda tells the following video:
Video instruction on the resuscitation of Wanda without roots:
This video is dedicated to the care of Wanda in the glass:
Orchid Vanda - very whimsical plant. To care for it will require maintaining a constant temperature and humidity. A distinctive feature is the absence of the need for soil for growing, it can simply be placed in an open container and picked up on the wall.
The orchid Vanda blooms a whole year and has no periods of rest.. For the prevention of the disease you need to use special tools that are sold in flower shops.
- It is necessary to closely monitor the root system to prevent excessive watering or drying out of the soil,
- With low light, especially in winter, you need to use artificial light sources,
- If the plant ceases to bloom, you need to check whether there is an excess of fertilizer,
- With strong yellowing and fading of leaves to follow the lighting and temperature.