This type of tomato is very small and therefore it was given the name Cherry, which means Cherry. Of course, they are larger than cherries, but still small and look very beautiful on a bush. Consider the description and characteristics of the variety, the best types and order of cultivation of this tomato.
About Cherry Tomato Variety
The birthplace of the species is considered South America, Peru. Now you can find these tomatoes on our private plots. And they are all different shades and shapes.
Peru - the official birthplace of tomato cherry
Varieties of this species can be of different height from 358 cm to 2 m. Height. Stems elastic green. Green ordinary tomato leaf shaped plates. Fruits can differ in color:
The shape of the fruit is round, oval, strongly elongated elliptical.
All Cherry have small weight of berries 15-35 gr. depending on the variety.
Top 15 varieties
Now many varieties of Cherry are bred, which differ in shape and color, as well as in the height of the bush.
Red-colored berry can be many varieties:
- Bast basket on the window,
- Cranberries in sugar,
And many more varieties of domestic and foreign selection.
Hybrid "Ira" - for cultivation in the open field or greenhouse. Do not crack in conservation fruits for the winter period. The fruits are claret oval, each individual tomato weighs 35 grams. ripening occurs in 95 days.
This is a midrange hybrid. Finger Fruits are oval and strongly elongated in shape, resembling fingers, about 6 cm in length. Fruits are red in color, weight is 10-20 grams. bush height reaches 1 m.
Very remarkable form of the form of "strawberry" - reminiscent of strawberries and the color corresponding bright red. Tomato weight is 35 grams. The height of the bush is average 100-130 cm.
The subspecies "suite" - a popular hybrid, on which the fruits ripen rather quickly. The period of fruiting is extended for a long period. The height of the bush with proper cultivation reaches 4 m. The size of a tomato is 2.5-3 cm., Red color and sugar taste.
The variety is short, compact, the fruits of yellow color weighing 15 gr. This species can be grown on window sills or in winter gardens.
Dr. Green Frosted
Height this bush with good care is over 2 m. The trunk is formed in 2-3 stems, fruits 25 gr. rich emerald color. Have a nutmeg flavor.
Dr. Green Frosted
Medium-late ripening fruit is an elongated yellow color. Mass of a single tomato 20 gr. Bushes grow to the level of 150 cm. Bushes form 2-3 stems.
This is a variety of Italian selection. Fruits are round, red, weight 20 g. bushes grow up to 150 cm. Very long period of fruiting, tomatoes can be collected until the frost.
The height of the bush is 2 m., The shape of the fruit is oval, red, the weight of the individual fruit is 15 gr. The flesh is juicy and fleshy keeps its shape well in conservation. The variety requires constant fertilizing.
Cherry Blossom F1
The variety is medium-tall 100 cm. And it shines early. Form in three stalks for receiving a big harvest. Tomatoes weighing 30 gr. red, oval. Tomatoes are dense and do not crack. Resistant to diseases.
Height of a bush is 2 m. Mass of fruits 35 gr. they are shaped like a pear and have a bright yellow color. Absolutely resistant to different diseases. In the open ground can be grown only in the southern regions.
Amethyst cream cherry
Rare variety, the height of the bush reaches 180 cm. Mark. The fruits are cream with purple spots, the shape is round, the flesh is sweet and dense. Possess strong aroma. Have a long shelf life.
Amethyst cream cherry
The bush is high up to 180 cm., The time of ripening of fruits is early, they form a bush only in one stem. Tomatoes are dense red and round. The mass of a separate tomato is 150g. Resistant to diseases and do not crack during conservation.
The fruits of this type of cherry resemble green clusters of grapes. Bush grows to a height of 160 cm. upon reaching the color of the berries becomes amber-green. Mass of a separate fruit 25 gr.
On one bed you can grow a lot of different varieties of cherry, and then use different in color fruits in salads and canned.
How to grow Cherry seedlings
To do this, remember the important points of growth of healthy seedlings:
- Seeds are planted in fertile and loose soil.
- To get a friendly shoots, a container with planted seeds covered with glass.
- Indoor air temperature should reach 27 degrees Celsius.
- Together where there are containers with future seedlings, there should be enough sunlight so that the sprouts, growing, do not stretch and become thinner.
We need to take care of the right place and good care of the growing tomato seedlings.
What substrate is needed for seedlings
The soil for growing Chery tomatoes should be nutritious. And not only in the tank for seedlings. The land set aside for the cultivation of tomato must be well fertilized with complex fertilizers.
Can i make up yourself, taking all in equal proportions:
Whatever the land should be sanitized before planting seeds.
To do this, it is shed a bright pink solution of manganese potassium. And you can use another method of disinfection - calcined compounded soil in a furnace at a temperature of 200 grams. 20 minutes.
Complex fertilizer for tomato
In order for fruiting to occur at the beginning of summer, it is worth taking care of planting the seedlings. For this in late February - early March, seeds are sown in containers filled with fertile soil.
Watered and covered with glass. If planted under glass, this will help create greenhouse conditions, and shoots will be more friendly.
Transplantation of seedlings in open ground
The grown seedlings have a healthy appearance - green leaves, 15-20 cm tall, a thickened stem. Before transplanting seedlings into open ground, it is hardened. To this end, within 10 days, it is gradually accustomed to open air. First, it is carried out for a couple of hours, and then it will be possible to leave for the night.
Not much wood ash is added to the dug holes, they are shed with water and tomato seedlings are planted. After which they are covered with earth and compacted soil around the stem. If the region is already stable warm weather seedlings mulch mowed grass.
Cherry Tomato Care
Basic rules for the care of the bushes of tomatoes:
- Weed removal.
When the seedlings grow, you will need to form a bush in one stem. To do this, the emerging stepchildren twist once 7 days. If the cherry variety is tall, then it will be necessary to make him a support and, as the bush grows, tie him to this support so that it does not break under the weight of the sweeping pods.
Weed grass interferes with the cultivation of any tomatoes
When planting a Cherry variety, it is worth making a distance between 50 cm seedlings.
Protection against diseases and pests
Sometimes it is possible to notice such diseases on tomatoes:
- Tomato Mosaic - at occurrence of this disease the bush is removed and destroyed outside the garden,
- Late blight - sprayed with fungicides and for the sake of prevention they cut off those leaves that are located near ripening tomatoes,
- Cracking fruit - This suggests that the bushes get too much moisture and should be reduced watering.
It is easier to prevent diseases than to treat the whole garden with planted tomatoes.
The difference in the methods of growing Suspended and Rassadny
The seedling method was described above, now we will get acquainted with the suspended one. For this, Cherry must variety have such data:
- A variety with good branching and without stepchildren.
- The branches must be flexible so as not to break under the weight of the fruit.
Sow such tomatoes immediately in pots intended for hanging on open terraces. The term of planting seeds beginning of May.
Under such conditions tomatoes will beripen before the onset of cold weather, later they are brought into the house and they continue to bear fruit, although not as abundantly as in summer, but still tomatoes will appear.
Varieties must be self-pollinated.
Not every type of cherry can be grown in pots
Cherry Tomatoes are the kind of tomato that is worth trying to grow on home gardens. Because they have a beautiful appearance and high sugar content in their fruits.
Description of cherry tomato variety
Cherry is a group of varieties and hybrids of small-fruited tomatoes. At present, breeders have brought about hundreds of varieties. During the season, up to 200 fruits can be picked from one bush. 4-6 plants can replace a full-fledged tomato bed.
It is important not to confuse cherry (cherry) tomatoes with small cocktail or currant. They have a different taste, nutrient content and size. Externally, tomatoes are distinguished by the following features:
- Cocktail in diameter not more than a ping-pong ball. Their shape can be not only round, but also oval, pear-shaped, and the color red, yellow, pink and even black. Grow in small clusters.
- Currant tomatoes hang on the branches in large clusters in the manner of red currants. Have a strictly round shape.
- Cherry-like bushes of ordinary varieties, only in miniature. Their name is translated from English: "cherry."
Cherry - dwarf tomatoes, which belong to the early ripening varieties. The average weight of the fruit is 15-20 g. In the varietal group, there are both stunted and tall representatives. In addition, they differ in color (green, yellow, shades of red and even striped), and the form (in addition to the traditional "cherries" can be oblong or tear-shaped).
Attention! Many gardeners use cherry varieties as ornamental and decorate with them a plot, a gazebo, a balcony or a window sill in an apartment. For home cultivation should be taken only undersized varieties up to 40 cm.
The fruits are arranged in clusters on a separate branch evenly and tightly. From the side it looks like grape clusters consisting of 5-6 fruits. Also found in the form of viburnum inflorescence. The brush can reach a length of 1 m. In composition, cherry trees differ from large-fruited varieties with an increased capacity of sugars and nutrients, approximately 2 times.
Cultivation features and cherry reviews
Agrotechnology cultivation of cherry tomatoes is almost the same as traditional. The hybrid origin of most cherry varieties has determined:
- good germination
- intensive growth
- resistance to adverse conditions in the development process,
- high yield.
To achieve good results in the garden gardeners advise not to forget about the simplest rules of care. No special conditions in order to help the plant form a great crop, do not need. Just consider the following features:
- Water regularly.
- In the open garden make mulching.
- Keep leaves and fruits away from the ground. To do this, tie the branches. Moreover, even stunted varieties need this procedure.
- Low bushes better planted a little distance from each other.
Attention! Today, the market for seeds can be found varieties of cherry with hints of strawberry, raspberry, blueberry and melon.
People leave a lot of positive reviews about varieties of cherry. They are praised for the unique taste, excellent germination and abundant fruiting. Many expand the bed of small-fruited tomatoes, discarding the traditional ones, because growing them is easier.
Cherry tomato varieties
Despite the fact that people have a very specific idea about cherry trees, the species includes many varieties. They differ in color: they are red, green, yellow, black, in size: they are oblong, round, pear-shaped. Common to all the cherry is the weight of the fruit, not exceeding 25 g. Many varieties were specially adapted to the conditions of our country's climate, grown in greenhouses, on balconies and loggias. Each individual variety has its own specificity of care and cultivation.
Multicolored cherry tomatoes
Depending on the size of the bushes, varieties are divided into three groups:
A variety of cherry tomato shapes
The difference between them mainly lies in the growth of the shrub and the size of the fruit:
Cherry tomatoes among the whole family of nightshade are considered the most delicious, which allows them to confidently occupy leading positions in the kitchens since the middle of summer. A characteristic feature of these tomatoes, by which most people know them, is its small size, as if it were cherry. Actually, it was the “dimensions” that allowed to give them such a name. But there are also some kind of “giant” cherry trees that reach the size of golf balls. The geometry of those and others is different: you can find as usual spherical fruits, and moderately extended in length.
Mostly cherry tomatoes, like the usual tomatoes, are colored red. However, after ripening, more exotic coloring can be found - yellow, black, those specimens that in their ripe form are indistinguishable from ordinary unripe tomatoes look very original. There is a great variety of ways in which tomatoes of this variety can be used in cooking, cooks appreciate them and for the ability to stay fresh longer without additional effort.
Importantly, you can grow cherry in the greenhouse and in the open field. Thanks to the efforts of specialists, there is a choice between low and high varieties of this group of tomatoes.
Description of species
The most current undersized varieties of cherry tomatoes for mass culture are the following types.
- "Arctic". Gives a rich harvest of raspberry color and requires minimal care. To ripe tomatoes takes about 80 days.
- "Salute". Its height can not exceed 0.8 m, during the vegetative season it blooms in series up to 300 buds. On the bush appear yellow vegetables weighing up to 20 g.
- "Arbat". This is rather a transitional group, a tomato can grow up to 1 m and produces a crop in 100-105 days. Fruits are like cylinders, their mass can reach 0.1 kg. Almost eliminated disease pathogens.
The best tall sorts of cherry tomatoes (always requiring binding to supports to reduce the risk of fracture of the hands) are Dessert, Sweet Cherry. The first of them ripens quickly (in 100 days), and, despite the small mass of the fruit, its decent culinary qualities and high fecundity make this species popular in the whole area of growth. Hybrid "Sweet Cherry", in addition to the rapid exit to maturity, is characterized by a long term fruit release. The height of a single bush can be up to 4 m, the taste of collected tomatoes deserves only positive ratings from experts.
The result of the labor of domestic breeders was the variety "Busiki". It belongs to the category of mid-ripening, its fruits are quite small. But they are always bright red, different sweetness and pleasant taste. "Beads" perfectly manifest themselves in a fresh state, but also give a good result when salting.
Domestic variety "Honey drop" was named for an interesting combination of the appearance of ripe tomatoes and their aftertaste. Strengthens this feeling and the yellow color of each fruit.
The small-fruited variant “Florida Petit” in height reaches a maximum of 0.3 m. This variety is suitable for cultivation in open ground, does not require special conditions, and allows you to ensure a full harvest in almost any weather. Aging ripening occurs at 90-95 days after planting. The mass of one tomato ranges from 15 to 25 g. For 1 square. m can account for from 3.5 to 4 kg of tomatoes.
Tomato "Bloosem" is among the determinant varieties, gives small and very sweet fruit. Even less experienced summer residents will be able to grow such a culture. Fruits ripen within 110 days after the sprouts go up. The average yield varies from 3700 to 4500 g per 1 sq. Km. The bush can grow up to 110 cm, it is well protected from fusarium and nematode aggression.
The characteristics of Blosema allow it to be cultivated on most of the Russian territory, except for the regions of the Far North and equated to them in terms of the hardness of the climate. If we provide only satisfactory care against the background of unstable weather, over 95% of the tomatoes will have commercial quality.
Such a tomato will have to be tied up, since its main stem is not very strong. The density of the peel allows you to store the harvest in cool rooms for up to 1 month.
Another small-fruited variety - "Ira." It is recommended for lovers of small berries. The early hybrid has been known for nearly two decades, does not require special care and grows almost everywhere. In the greenhouse, these tomatoes grow without restrictions and rise to 300 cm.
Lianas growing in open ground are supposed to pinch when about 30 days remain until the end of the season. Tomatoes will be able to bloom and even form ovaries up to frosts, but it will not be possible to use a fruit that has not reached the stage of technical ripeness.
“Ira” is calmly experiencing the appearance of pathogens of Fusarium and Vertsellez But it is possible infection with late blight, the likelihood of which rises against the background of a cold and damp summer. Судя по отзывам огородников, ягоды при неблагоприятной погоде становятся менее вкусными, а вот количество их не сокращается. Дополнительно увеличить урожайность можно, формируя томаты в 1, 2 или 3 стебля по выбору.
It is important to remember that the “Ira” bushes tend to grow and will have to be continuously monitored.
Cherry black can bring the big advantage - this grade differs in impressive sweetness. In addition to the pleasant taste and appearance, it is beneficial to the content of a number of useful substances. Among them a special place is occupied by anthocyanins, which contribute to the enhancement of immunity and suppress many pathologies, including oncological processes. The dark variety was bred in the USA in 2003, and only since 2009 it entered the federal register of permissible plants. Cultivation of this crop is possible both in the open land and in the greenhouse; in appearance, the bush resembles a vine of grapes; there are 5–9 fruits per brush.
The resulting tomatoes are spherical in shape and thin peel. There is still no other variety of small tomatoes, the lateral shoots of which would be thicker than those located in the center. It is at the edges that the main part of the crop is formed.
It should be noted that the collected tomatoes will not be able to store fresh for a long time. But they are perfect for pickling alone or as a part of vegetable platter.
Black cherry can grow in open soil only in the southern areas of the Russian Federation and in the middle climate zone, the inhabitants of Siberia will have to plant it only in greenhouses.
Strict adherence to the norms of agricultural technology allows you to get up to 5 kg per bush per season. With sufficiently warm weather, the first fruits will ripen in 90 days. If the meteorological situation turns out to be less favorable, we will have to wait another 10 or 20 days extra. The basic principles of cultivation are the same as for the red varieties. For cultivation, it is necessary to select not only a generously illuminated, but also a well-covered area from the wind.
It would be possible to talk about different varieties of cherry tomatoes for a very long time, but you need to figure out what the benefits are obtained from them, and whether it is worthwhile to do this crop at all. Many people ask just such a question when they need to choose between regular and reduced tomatoes. The main properties of these fruits are as follows:
- calorie - 1500 calories per 100 grams,
- the concentration of fats, proteins and carbohydrates in the same volume is 0.1, 0.8 and 2.8 g, respectively,
- improved calcium absorption and kidney function (thanks to vitamin K),
- reducing the risk of cardiovascular disorders
- reducing the risk of malignant neoplasms in the digestive system and lungs,
- the presence of serotonin that improves mood,
- the possibility of replenishing consumable minerals and trace elements, which is especially valuable in winter,
- diuretic activity (due to the presence of potassium),
- increase the overall tone of the body,
- accelerated healing of wounds, abrasions and scratches.
We must not forget that cherry tomatoes can bring some harm to people. So, their use is not recommended for any deviation from the normal metabolism. It is undesirable to eat this vegetable and suffering from ulcers of the digestive system due to the irritating action of organic acids.
Care should be taken to the consumption of cherry tomatoes for those who are allergic to red fruit. Only a minimal amount of them can be eaten with urolithiasis, and even then it is better to consult with doctors to eliminate the negative effects completely.
Despite some negative properties of cherry tomatoes, most people can use them without any fear. But to get a decent harvest, they need to be planted correctly. Like ordinary tomatoes, you should start with seedlings, especially in the middle zone and more northern areas, where the stable warm weather occurs only in May.
It is useful to supplement fertile land in trays with wood ash, clean sifted sand and mineral fertilizers selected for each class. Then they make furrows and sow the seeds, covering them with 0.5 cm of earth.
In order for the seedlings to be strong and well developed, you need to thoroughly sort out the seeds and discard all useless specimens. The seed for 2-5 minutes is aged in a weak solution of potassium permanganate, then immediately washed in clean water. Then for several days he was kept in a warm room, wrapped in a damp cloth. Most suitable ordinary gauze, as is the case with ordinary tomatoes. Most often planting seedlings produced in mid-March.
Before sowing and immediately after it, the soil is watered with warm water. Connoisseurs are advised to cover the seedling boxes with glass and leave in warm places. When the sprouts come out, the container is transferred to the illuminated window sills, the glass is removed. A dive is made at the exit of 2 or 3 true leaves, a capacity of at least 200 ml is allocated for each seedling.
History of the creation of a variety of tomatoes Sweet Cherry
The homeland of tomato is South America, on Russian soil tomatoes began to grow as an ornamental plant only from the middle of the 18th century, when Catherine II received a basket of strange fruits as a gift from the ambassador from Italy.
The popularity of tomatoes with fruits similar to berries, has grown thanks to the versatility of their use and ease of cultivation. For the first time, cherry tomato seeds became available to gardeners about 30 years ago.
Cherry was born thanks to the works of Israeli scientists from the agrotechnical department of the Hebrew University in 1973. The purpose of the breeders was to create tomatoes that can ripen more slowly in hot climates. Modern cherry sweeter and juicy, they are used to decorate dishes and in cooking, put in salads and side dishes.
Cherry tomatoes or cherry - a symbol of Mediterranean cuisine, exquisite taste and unusual decoration for everyday dishes and any snack
Sweet cherry f1 - a hybrid form that inherits the best parental qualities, is resistant to any weather conditions and is highly immune. Despite the fact that the varietal characteristics and subtleties of growing Sweet Cherry have long been known, information about it is not available in the State Register.
According to most gardeners who grow Cherry Sweet on their beds, 3 to 10 fruit brushes are tied on the bushes, 20 to 50 tomatoes ripen on each depending on climatic conditions and soil fertility.
Tomatoes in this variety are equilateral, small, weigh 20-30 years. The average weight of a brush with fully matured fruits is about 0.5 kg, and the yield of one bush Sweet Cherry is from 5 to 8 kg.
Cherry Sweet - superior taste over size
The pros and cons of small-fruited tomatoes Sweet Cherry
This variety since its appearance was awarded a lot of positive reviews of gardeners:
- One-dimensional fruits have an attractive appearance and are universal in use.
- Due to the decorativeness, small-fruited Sweet Cherry is suitable for cutting into salads; garnishes and sandwiches decorate with fruits, whole and cut in half.
- Slightly expressed seed boxes in juicy, but dense pulp, tight skin - all these qualities of the variety are ideal for whole-canning and curing, they can also be frozen completely.
- Resistance to phytophthora, bacteriosis, peak rot, powdery mildew (even in cold summer).
- High tolerance to temperature extremes, especially at night. This explains the long-term fruiting until frost: tomatoes do not crack and do not rot even in wet weather.
- Short term ripening.
- A high percentage of seed germination.
- The sugar content in fruits is up to 12% (with an average index for cherry tomatoes 8–10%).
- Small tomato suitable for baby food.
- Cherry tomatoes can be transported over long distances, while they do not become soft and do not lose shape.
Sometimes you can’t make small children even try tomatoes, but Sweet Cherry is hard to refuse
The disadvantages of the hybrid include low yield in comparison with other cherry tomatoes and the need for regular sticks.
Growing tomato cherry seedling way
Seeds of this variety are sown on seedlings in the same way as other tomatoes. Sowing starts about 1.5–2 months before picking seedlings for a permanent place.
Sow the seeds in a prepared container filled 2/3 with purchased peat (you can use a coconut substrate) or prepared by yourself planting mixture. Loose fertile soil from the garden plot and river sand are mixed 3: 1 and shed with boiling water for disinfection, sowing begins after an hour, when the surface of the soil cools (you can burn in the oven or put a bag of peat in the freezer).
In the seedling boxes, the seeds are distributed across the grooves to a depth of 0.5–0.8 mm, observing the interval of 1.5–2 cm. To avoid thickening, each groove is 3.5–4 cm apart. To germinate seedlings Sweet Cherry must adhere to the standard conditions for the germination of tomatoes:
- air temperature should not fall below +22 С °,
- it is necessary to limit access to direct sunlight in order to prevent overdrying and cracking of the soil,
- an important point is the maintenance of humidity, for this the soil is sprayed from a spray bottle.
When these conditions are met, the seedlings of Sweet Cherry emerge already in 7–10 days. Young sprouts are watered as the surface dries, but at least 2-3 days later. You can feed the growing undergrowth of Sweet Cherry under the root with an aqueous solution based on mineral fertilizers 12–14 days after germination. After 1.5 months, the seeds of this tomato, sown in mid-March, will have 2-4 leaflets.
In order for the plants to have enough nutrients and they had enough sunlight, they dive
Sweet cherry relocates
In mid-May, the seedlings will grow to 10–15 cm - the moment of transplanting tomatoes to a permanent place in the open ground or in the greenhouse comes, as in Svit Cherry, the first inflorescences appear 50 days after germination at the 5-6th leaf regrowth phase.
A tomato is planted on a plot when the average daily temperature is no lower than + 12 ° C, with cooler weather, this crop stops growing. Seedlings are placed on even, well-lit beds with a south or southeast orientation.
To avoid drafts, the plants should be in the depth or center of the plot, planting legumes, zucchini, root vegetables (beetroot, carrot) in the neighborhood, but excluding the solanaceous. To increase the yield Sweet cherry, along with other varieties of tomatoes, it is necessary to observe crop rotation: the best predecessors - cabbage, carrots, radishes, peas, cucumbers. Ideal - planting tomato seedlings on sandy or loose black-earth soil.
Bushes of this variety are planted at a distance of 50 cm from each other, thus placing from 4 to 6 seedlings per square meter, the aisle is approximately 70 cm
Transplanting grown tomatoes on the site or in the greenhouse, it is important to remember: the smaller the young plants, the better they take root. For better survival, choose shoots with a strong, even stem and large leaves without yellowness. “Suspicious” saplings of tomatoes are best placed on a sanitary garden bed, from which you can always take a shrub for replanting to replace a pest tainted or not surviving transplant.
Cherry tomato care
Sweet cherry f1 - non-capricious variety, responsive to dressing and regular watering.
- After 7–10 days, when the tomatoes take root in the beds, they are tied to pegs. As the stalks grow, the ovaries are fixed with a string in several places with an interval of 15–20 cm.
Heavy brushes Sweet cherry with reddening fruit tied to the central stalk or trellis
Multifaceted tomato beds are protected from drying out and weeds.
The majority of gardeners are of the opinion that the timely planting of tomatoes preserves the strength of the plant and increases the yield.
With the regular introduction of organic fertilizers, flowering and increasing green mass occurs even at daytime temperatures below +20 ° C. So that the fruits were sweeter, and the plant's immunity was not affected, I continue to add fermented cow or horse manure in the 3rd decade of August in the form of liquid basal top dressing, infusion of crushed grass with the addition of potash fertilizers. For 10 liters I take 10–15 g of potassium sulfate, 1/3 of a bucket of settled organic matter, the rest is water of room temperature, 1.5–2 liters of solution per bush.
Video: how to accelerate the ripening of cherry tomatoes
Sweet cherry - very sweet tomatoes. On the bush a lot, for salting - great. One "but" - stated that this is a ripening, and I only began to blush in mid-August.
Last year she planted Sweet Cherry, which is written on the package, and then received: indeterminant, precocious and disease-resistant, large brush, up to 50 supersweet fruits, the size of a ping-pong ball. I liked my daughter too.
For me, Sweet Cherry is sour, not sweet at all. In general, they decided that there was no use for these cherry trees, especially in the greenhouse, when their stepchildren from all places were growing. And the harvest from them is very small. And it is much more pleasant to eat a big tomato, and not to swallow a small lump.
Particularly pleased with the abundance of Sweet Cherry. The bush is tall, there are many stepchildren, the set of fruits is rabid. The fruits are very sweet without dressings. Very, very resistant to phytophthora, last year they quietly fruited along with it until November. Canned in half-liter jars.
Many gardeners have noticed that this cute exotic giant will perfectly dilute the society of flower pots, decorate the flower bed and vegetable beds. The high yield of the crop due to the multicolor brush, long-term fruiting, unpretentiousness - three main advantages in favor of this tomato. Sweet cherry will surely take a worthy place in the vegetable collection of the gardener.
The process of development and care of cherry tomato
Based on the characteristics of the selected variety, cherry tomatoes should be planted on a plot in the garden, at home or in greenhouses, and you can also grow tomatoes in an open area, in boxes or on window sills. In any of the prepositional options, special supports should be installed for rooting of the stems. Cherry tomato is best grown with seedlings. Seeds are planted at home in simple glasses, then transplanted to a permanent place of growth.
Experts advise during planting to observe a certain distance between seedlings of 60–70 centimeters, and between rows about one meter.
Cherry tomatoes, which grow on the windowsill, unlike other varieties of tomatoes do not need to be vaccinated. The main condition for growing tomatoes in the house is a success - it is time to tie up the shrubs and carefully monitor their development.
Cherry tomato bushes have a loose form and do not require special irrigation or top dressing. Cherry tomatoes on the balcony are resistant to changes in the overall temperature and a slight decrease in temperature. Seeds should be placed in the previously created grooves, pour warm water. Only truly high-quality seeds can bring a good harvest; hollow seeds should be disbanded before planting.
After planting the seeds in a box, they should be put on some window sill in the house. Cherry tomatoes growing on the window need light. Seed germination at home occurs within one week. After the soil is completely dry, it should be moistened with additional watering.
So that oxygen enters the plant’s root system itself, the soil should be regularly loosened. Cherry tomatoes on the window should be planted in one plant, when five leaves are formed on the seedlings. While planting a plant, its roots should be dipped as deep as possible into the soil to create the best rooting. If the balcony in the house is quite warm, then the seedlings are best grown here. If the temperature in the house is below 15 degrees Celsius, then boxes should be placed near the window.
Caring for cherry tomatoes entails: a mandatory process of watering as the land is completely dried and the soil itself is loosened. For the cultivation of cherry in the home should be used is undersized or sredneroslye varieties that will not require picks.
Cherry Tomatoes Cultivation
Cherry can be grown in the house using an overhead landing in the designated containers. Rules for selecting seeds for further planting:
- The bush must have a certain branching, but without a staking.
- The stem and the branches should not be too thin, otherwise they will completely break under the weight of the tomato. These plants are considered small-fruited types of tomatoes.
In the hanging baskets, which will be on the balcony, should be planted seedlings in early May. If the overall temperature on the street has gone down, then the baskets should be carried into the room.
The best place to grow cherry tomatoes is a place where there are direct sunlight. In the case when the seedlings have grown to large sizes, then some branches can be completely excluded. It is possible to plant a plant in the open ground after the weather has fully stabilized and frost on the ground has long disappeared.
Recommendations from experienced gardeners. Перед процессом высадки растение должно пройти закалку. За несколько недель до высадки рассаду нужно выносить на балкон либо на веранду с открытыми окнами. За один день до процесса высадки в грунтовую почву рассаду следует прекратить поливать.
Грядку также тщательно взрыхляют и убирают с неё все соровые растения. Борозды для томатов стоит делать глубиной в 10 сантиметров. Стебель помидора не стоит обтряхивать от земли, а вносить совместно с землёй из стакана в лунку. The plant should be watered qualitatively and prikopat a layer of earth. In the process of development and growth of cherry tomatoes, they should be properly maintained: pegs should be instilled next to the bushes, and after a branch of ripened plants, tied to a support, after three months the plant will bring its first tomato crop.
Harvesting should be done as clusters, and one at a time. Fruiting cherry tomatoes will occur until such time as the temperature of the air around will not fall below + 8 degrees Celsius.
Variety cherry tomatoes and their description
- Variety of tomatoes Ira F1. The hybrid plant Ira is grown in a greenhouse or in an open area. Tomatoes in this variety have a sweet taste. The grade of Ira is considered early maturing, the period of growth and maturation of the plant is 85 days. Ira tomatoes have a special oval shape and bright burgundy coloring, weight reaches 35 grams. To taste, a grade of Ira belongs to the category of extra. From one branch can be collected about 35 tomatoes. It is possible to collect the fruits of Ira from the bush either individually or in bunches. Tomato lesions tomato Torah has a special resistance. The yield of this variety exceeds 5-6 kg per square meter. The fruits of the variety Game are good to use for preservation, as well as decorating various dishes. Calorie cherry equals 20, 4 kcal.
- Sweet Cherry F1. A common variety of tomatoes, which quickly yields a crop, fruiting lasts a long time. The variety has protection against diseases and some pests. Sweet Cherry grows to a height of 4 meters. Cherry Sweet fruits have a sweet taste and a scarlet color. Tomatoes can be frozen for later storage and use in winter.
- F1 Sharp. The fruits of this tomato are large in size and weigh up to 220 grams. To increase the yield time of the plant, the variety should be grown in greenhouse conditions. After assembly, the tomatoes can be both dried and frozen.
- Lyubava F1. The growing season of tomato is 120 days after sprouting has reached the surface of the soil. Growing plants occurs both at home and in the greenhouse, as well as in open ground. Garter the upper stems of the plant during growth. Tomatoes can be frozen for further storage. The variety is best grown in a greenhouse. Calorie is -19, 4 kcal.
- Dessert F1. Tomatoes are ready for assembly within 100 days after formation. Tomatoes are rather small in size, yellow. Tomatoes are fleshy and dense, weighing up to 150 grams.
- Golden Lingonberry (hybrid). A very common plant, has a special resistance to infections. Fruits are small, yellow. Productivity is high. It is best to produce growing in a greenhouse. For further storage, the fruit of the plant can be frozen. The caloric value of one fruit is 26 kcal.
- Red cherry, a hybrid. The bush is quite broadleaf with small fruits of a red shade. The growing season is 100 days. It is possible to land both in the greenhouse, and on an open ground.
- White curranthybrid variety. The fruits are quite sweet, juicy, bright yellow. The weight of one tomato is equal to 20 grams. The variety can be successfully used for conservation, as well as consumed fresh.
- Honey drop, hybrid variety. Tomatoes have a sweet taste, elongated in shape, yellow. The bush is quite high, the fruit on one branch develops - 7–9 tomatoes.
- Minibel - hybrid variety. Shrubs are quite low, reaching a height of -30-40 centimeters. Tomatoes weigh about 25 grams. The variety can be grown in open ground, if you correctly follow all the instructions and rules for planting.
- Balcony miracle. The bush carries a compact size, unpretentious care, the fruit is sweet to the taste, round, juicy and yellow colors. Best suited for breeding at home. The grade well gets accustomed in the house or at the dacha. For further storage and use in winter, the fruit can be freely frozen.
- Cherry Tomato, hybrid variety. Tomatoes have a dark red color, round shape. With one brush you can collect about 20 tomatoes. Shrubs tall type. It can be used for growing both in summer cottages and in conditions of a house. Shrubs are quite tall. Cherry tomato cherry variety has one feature - they ripen at the same time, resistant to the cracking process. The mass of one tomato is 25 grams.
Recommendations from gardeners. Cherry tomatoes can not be dried. If in the process of growth the land on which the tomatoes are grown is too dry, the fruits on the bushes will begin to wither and gradually crack. Watering the plants should be quite moderate. Otherwise, the root system will rot.
The distance between the stems of tomatoes should be enough for further leafing. Tomatoes in the necessary order should be tied up, otherwise the plant will break under the pressure of a large number of fruits. Some good varieties of cherry tomatoes contain special resistant characteristics, they are marked on the package with the symbol F 1. If you collect seeds from such fruits, next season you will get tomato bushes with hollow flowers. Special harvest data seedling bring the owner can not.
Fruit picking should take place after the tomatoes have ripened completely, it is then that their taste characteristics will be at their best. Why sometimes fruits begin to taste bitter? Absolutely every sort of cherry is afraid of fogs, so the fruits begin to become too bitter, soon they become black in color and gradually die. To avoid this, you need to create a certain care for the plant: the immature fruits should be removed and put in prepared baskets for further maturation. Tomatoes should be covered with paper so that they can not be amazed by various bacteria and do not acquire a bitter taste. The collection of unripe fruits should be done in the most recent case.
To fruit tomatoes were juicy, they must ripen on the branch before the end of the ripening process.
How to properly care for the fruits?
- The plot should be planted plants in late April, if tomato growth will occur inside the greenhouse. If cultivation takes place in open ground, the landing should take place in the second half of June. The distance between saplings of low-growing varieties is not less than 70 centimeters, and for high ones - about one meter. Such an indicator in the distance should occur for greater access of sunlight to the plant, as well as for obtaining more oxygen. During ripening, tomatoes should receive a certain amount of care from the owner: the land should be constantly loosened, fed and watered, otherwise, the fruits will begin to suffer due to the lack of mineral components and become bitter in taste.
- Cherry tomatoes most often grown on the same technique as the simple types of tomatoes. In order to achieve a good tomato crop in the end, the seedlings in the first days of its growth should create artificial light for the best process of growth and development. Hybrid varieties of tomatoes are unsuitable for the process of assembling seeds, for this it is worth using varietal tomatoes, they are considered the best for growing and care.
Pro yield and specificity of the variety
Growth characteristic corresponds to the indeterminant type. Tomatoes of this group grow to 2 m. Shrubs show a higher yield with a 2 stem formation scheme.
When using this scheme, 1 stepchild is left on the central stem. It is located in the sinus under the first inflorescence. From it form the second stalk, and all stepchildren above it pinch off.
Planting Sweet Cherry years 8. Variety without problems: not sick, bears fruit for a long time. Tomatoes do not overwhelm, but they ripen early and sweet tomatoes. I do not form a bush, sometimes I delete stepchildren if possible. Shrubs grow in 3-4 stalks. A lot of this variety is not soot, no more than 4 bushes.
For those who have not planted this variety, I recommend - do not plant. Cherry Sweet Tomatoes are grown in a greenhouse. My description:
- They are late.
- The harvest is low.
- Occupy a large area.
- Not sweet.
Galina, Leningrad Region
I will plant these tomatoes next season. Sister treated Chery from her garden. I liked the taste and color. I will try to be sure.
The reviews are not straightforward, but you should not blame this variety. Taste and yield depend on the quality of care and seeds.
Rules of care and cultivation
Cherry tomatoes are grown through seedlings. The timing of sowing seeds calculated according to a simple scheme. From the estimated date of transplantation in the ground they take 60 days. For example, you plan to plant tomatoes in a polycarbonate greenhouse. In your climate, this is possible on April 20th. This means that seeds can be sown on February 20.
Prepare for sowing seeds:
- The box is plastic low.
- Soil purchased fertile, consisting of garden land, humus and two types of peat.
- For picking seedlings cups peat or plastic.
- Any liquid fertilizer for seedlings.
- A fluorescent lamp for plant lighting.
Tip Cherry bushes with fruits of red, yellow, orange color will decorate the greenhouse or the garden. Buy seeds of varieties of different colors.
Seeds are sown in moist soil. Sprinkle 1 cm of humus or loose soil. Cover the box with the seeds planted film or put in a regular bag. The optimum temperature in the room is 25 ° C.
For strong seedlings:
- dive in the phase of 2 leaves,
- water at least once a week,
- highlight tomatoes in cloudy weather,
- feed at least 1 time 2 weeks before transplanting into the ground.
Transplant and summer care
Seedlings ready for transplanting, transfer to a greenhouse or greenhouse and adapt to new conditions within a week. At the same time prepare the ridge:
- Add humus 1 bucket.
- Superphosphate 2 tbsp. l
- Potassium nitrate 2 tbsp. l
- Ammonium nitrate 1 tbsp. l
- Ridge to dig to a depth of 25-30 cm, rake level.
- Prepare the wells, observing the interval 50 * 40 cm.
The dosage is given for approximately 1 m² of the ridge. In the calculation that the soil is light, loamy with normal acidity. If the soil is acidic under digging, add ash or chalk. Heavy clay soil will improve river sand (0.5 buckets / m²).
Seedlings transplant method, watering and watering for 2 weeks to forget. While it grows, it should not be watered or fed. If the weather is sunny, apply a covering material, it will save from spring frosts.
Summer care for tomatoes of this type is standard. It includes:
- Watering 1-2 times a week.
- Loosening between the rows with simultaneous removal of weeds.
- Formation of a bush, regular removal of stepsons.
- Prevention and control of diseases and pests.
Watering conduct abundant. The earth should get wet to a sufficient depth. If the weather is not hot, 1 abundant watering per week is sufficient. Feed for the first time 2 weeks after transplantation.
You can prepare herbal infusion with the addition of urea and the first 2 dressings hold them. On a bucket of water enough 1 liter of strong herbal infusion.
In the second half of the summer, fertilize the cherry with phosphate-potassium fertilizers. With fluctuations in day and night temperatures, spray bushes with a solution of boric acid. Top dressing is a good disease prevention. They strengthen the immune system of tomatoes.
Ventilation, loosening and mulching of the soil under the bushes save from phytophtoras in the greenhouse.
In the open ground phytophthora affects plants in rainy weather. Bushes planted according to the recommended scheme - formed in 2 stems, it is not terrible. Mulch from dry grass, straw or shredded branches will serve as an additional protection of the bushes from spores of fungus and root rot.