Thuja is considered one of the most unpretentious and spectacular plants for landscape design. Description of the main characteristics, as well as the rules of plant care, given in the article, will allow gardeners to enjoy this shrub for a whole year, without spending much effort.
Thuja is an evergreen perennial shrub from the cypress family. It is perfect for the construction of a live green hedge and landscaping site. Care does not differ complex elements or manipulations, but it must be done systematically. The most famous and popular varieties of Tui include:
Description of landing
Thuja is planted with seedlings or seeds. The best period for planting is early spring. The main care after this is systematic watering and protection from direct sunlight and wind.
Tuya can also be grown in an apartment or house. For normal development, the plant needs diffused sunlight, abundant watering in summer and moderate in winter. From spring to autumn, the plant must be fed with specialized fertilizers.
How to prepare pine needles for winter
Thuja after winter can become covered with spots of brown-brown shade. This effect is manifested as a result of sunburn. In winter, the sun and wind dry up the plant, and the frozen ground does not provide the necessary amount of moisture. In order to avoid such consequences, care should begin in the fall. Tyuyu need to protect from direct sunlight. This must be done with the help of flax, calico, bast mat or a special industrial material. Just wrap the plant well with a cloth.
Thuya care in the spring will greatly facilitate the proper preparation of thuja for winter. Make sure that the plant is not covered with snow. Snow during the thaw period can provoke the bush heating, and as a result there will be spots.
Also under the weight of snow can crumble and crown needles will lose its shape. It is better to fix the crown with a rope.
Spring care for thuja
1. Haircut. Care for thuja spring involves the removal of dry shoots. If the bush was wrapped up for the winter, then in the spring it is necessary to remove the protective material and give the crown time to assume a natural position. After that, you can start a haircut.
2. Feeding. In spring, the plant necessarily needs additional feeding, for example, it can be liquid organic fertilizers, compost or mineral supplements.
In the first year after planting, the plant does not need additional fertilizer.
How to trim a thuja in the spring
In order to trim thuyu, you will need a garden pruner.
To properly carry out this procedure, you must adhere to the following rules:
- Carry out the procedure only in dry weather.
- Trimming the thuja in spring is carried out in early April or in the summer, in late June.
- After removing dry branches, thin out thickened crowns. Cutting healthy branches, you provide better air circulation and thereby reduce the possibility of infection of the shrub pests.
- To thuja grew not up, but in width, it is necessary to cut the upper part. In order to form a spherical bush, if the variety allows it, it is necessary to cut branches that differ in length from the main body of shoots.
- Part of the one-year growth should be regularly removed during the decorative trim. Such pruning thuja in the spring, is done in order to preserve the selected shape of the needles. However, if you overdo it with pruning, areas without greenery may appear in the crown, which will lead to the loss of the decorative look.
- If the plant grows very quickly and requires frequent cutting, it is necessary to reduce the amount of fertilizer applied to the soil.
- If pruning of the thuja in the spring was not done in a timely manner, then in the summer it is necessary to remove dried branches and thin the crown.
- Tui that grow in shaded places often do not need thinning of the crown. These plants can not boast lush greenery.
When transplanting a thuja, it is necessary to preserve the earthen room that surrounds the roots, then the young bushes will be much better taken at the new place.
Growing this plant will bring a lot of pleasure to gardeners, because with it you can create a unique landscape design.
How is the landing of the thuja?
You can use the following methods for planting thuja:
- Plant a plant with seedlings.
- Plant the seeds of a plant.
The plant will most favorably affect the plant if it is planted in early spring. After the shrub is planted, you will need simple care, which is a constant watering of the plant. Also, the shrub needs to be protected from constant sunlight. Among other things, the plant should also be protected from the wind. Tui is suitable for cultivation and in the apartment.
What is needed for normal growth and development of Tui?
So that the plant does not hurt and grew and developed with confidence, you need to organize for him scattered sunlight, abundant watering in the summer, in winter, too, need watering, but not abundant and moderate. In the period from spring to autumn, the shrub should be fed with special fertilizers.
Preparing for the winter
After winter, the shrub may appear brownish brown. These are burn marks due to direct sunlight. In winter, with the help of wind and sun, the shrub is dried up, the ground is cold and frozen, because of this moisture is not enough for the shrub. So that these facts do not lead later to sad circumstances, you need to prepare everything in advance.. Preparing thuy for winter implies an ear behind a shrub starting in spring.
Thuja care activities in the spring
- Creating a plant protection from direct sunlight. This will be especially useful for young plants that are about a year old, it will relieve them from the brown spots that appear due to sunburn. Protection against direct sunlight on the plant is created by wrapping the plant with a covering material.
- Fertilizer of the soil in which the plant is planted, top dressing of a bush. This action has the ability to significantly strengthen the overall immunity of the plant, the shrub will become much more resistant to poor environmental conditions and various diseases, the cause of which can be a frosty wind, soil freezing.
- Treating plants with special-purpose drugs that are designed to get rid of pests and diseases.
- It is necessary to apply stimulants, to do spraying of a bush. This increases the growth of the plant and its resistance to disease.
- Formation of the crown Tui. This is achieved by trimming the thuja. Tui haircut has a double effect: when pruning a thuja, weak or diseased branches are removed, it makes the plant stronger and healthier, and the second effect is that the aesthetic appearance of the plant is thus given, the crown is gradually formed into more beautiful forms.
What is the practical use of trimming Tui spring?
Many believe that the natural form of the plant is more beautiful and harmonious. But if you look at it objectively and figure out what's going on, you can see that, without cutting the crown, its overgrowth is allowed, the branches of the plant become heavier and larger, they later interfere with each other, therefore, cutting the tui is necessary. Tui haircut is best done in the spring, during this period, the tree did not fully awake, and not all the growth processes of the shrub were involved. How should tui be cut in the spring? In order to properly prune, you need to have certain knowledge. By correctly cutting the crown of the thuja, you can get that form that is necessary.
- Purchase the necessary tools. These should be clean tools, well ground, since blunt tools cannot work. From tools you need to have a pruner or scissors, special scissors which are called a sickle, protective gloves that are necessary to protect your hands from scratches.
- It is necessary to inspect the tree. This is necessary in order to identify the damaged branches, and those branches that have diseases, and at the same time notice how the crown shape is possible in the future.
- To cut the tree. It is necessary to cut off sluggish branches, dry or diseased. Cut them with the help of garden shears. Carry out the thinning of the crown, it must be done in order to get rid of the excessive density of the crown. This is done with the help of a sickle, which is designed to work with ornamental and garden trees.
- The next step is to conduct a decorative haircut. In this way, you need to cut the tree in order to give shape to the crown. It can be the shape of a cube, a ball, a cylinder, and even a pyramid. In addition, the haircut thuy holds a height limit of the tree. If earlier the krone was already pruned, then in the spring it is necessary to trim only the annual growth sprigs, as well as the tips of the adult branches. To make the tree grow in breadth, you need to trim the top of the trunk of a tree.
To trim thuyu spring, you need to choose a dry day, so the plant will receive minimal stress from cutting the branches. After the work has been done on cutting the branches, the tree needs to be fed, additionally stimulate its growth by special means. The artistic haircut in the spring is done several times, it takes all spring and summer. What experts recommend for crown formation of tui? It is worth knowing that the thuja is easy to cut, painlessly tolerates it.
Tuyu is used to form landscape compositions. It is possible to make a different crown shape, it depends on the variety. When a variety is short, you should not use it for decoration of fences or any tall figures, and if the variety is colonic, then it is suitable for spiral compositions. There are cone-shaped varieties of thuja. When there are such a type of tree, they can be used to create arches of its crowns, figured entrance, for example, into a hedge.
Not every novice gardener will be able to properly and beautifully shape crowns of tui, for the first time you can ask for help from professionals in this business, and later, when the whole principle of this work and all the points will be understood, you can start doing all this on their own. Working with such plants, from the words of professionals, is a pleasure, as each case of such work gives your unique look, there is an opportunity every time to create a unique design created by living trees.
Thuja woody plant is used in landscape design and gardening to decorate areas. There are many varieties of it. In the Russian Federation, the western variety is used. In gardens, parks, alleys, ornamental culture is planted with separate trees and groups. It is also good for hedges. Referring to the class of conifers, the cypress family, the genus of gymnospermous conifers, the thuja can be attributed to both shrubs and trees. It all depends on the size, which can reach 70 m in height.
According to the botanical description, the following features are noted:
- The leaves of young specimens - needle and soft, in adults - scaly, crosswise opposite.
- As a result of flowering, oval or oblong cones ripen. They are equipped with 6 pairs of scales, the upper of which do not have seeds, the remaining ones have 2 or 3 ovules.
- Flat seeds have 2 narrow wings. Their maturation occurs in the first year.
In the rhythm of development, the following 2 phases are observed:
- Dissolution of buds, their increase in size, which occurs with the gradual establishment of stable temperature conditions up to + 5 degrees C.
- Blooming and flowering of the flower is carried out with warming from +5 to 10 and 20 degrees C.
Flower buds are laid a year before the process. In winter, they have hidden already formed flowers. Particularly conducive to their laying good lighting. Pollen ripens so much that nearby water bodies turn yellow. Weather and other conditions must be adequate for pollination.
Thuja, as a culture, does not impose special requirements for care during growth. This may be domestic plants that adorn the cottage, or part of the landscaping of public gardens, parks, urban areas. They can be used as protection against industrial smoke. Growing is usually carried out in open ground, which contributes to significant resistance to frost. Various garden forms are known. There are also many species in nature:
These 5 species are common in North America and East Asia.
Trimming Tui Brabant, Smaragd
Pruning thuja allows you to form a crown, which enhances the decorative properties of the tree and serves the sanitary purposes of removing the affected branches. It is necessary to get:
- good quality shears or garden shears,
- growth promoters.
For different varieties have their own rules. For example, for the first time, Brabant is cut off significantly, so that the crown would not become too thick. But, if this thuja is not cut at all, the branches will become rare and will become friable. That is, the procedure is required, otherwise the decorative effect will be lost. The form is attached immediately after planting, after which it is adjusted annually as it grows.
The hairstyle of a thuja of a grade of Smaragd is done with observance of the pyramidal form, natural for it. Delete only those branches that have gone beyond the main contour. The plant has its own proper shape. In the amendment need only proportions. Sometimes whole garden figures are made from Smaragd: chess, balls, three-dimensional images of animals. Variety easily refers to the removal of branches. Hedge just need to cut, which proceed immediately after landing. As they grow annually, the procedure is repeated. Column-shaped thuja Columna and Fasgiata obey similar rules.
Tui Danika or Woodwardy are short, which also requires compliance with the natural outline, removing the branches that go beyond it. After the procedure, growth stimulants are applied to the plants and organic, mineral supplements are applied. For example, it is "Florovit", corresponding to conifers.
Council Beginners are not recommended to create complex forms immediately. The experience of pruning will help to move to a scheme like a spiral or tiers.
Sanitary processing of a thuja, its trimming and the formation of a decorative crown differ in the seasons in which it is most favorable to realize a haircut aimed at one or another purpose.
Thuja trimming time
Thuya is cut, regardless of the variety. For the first time it is done after planting, not waiting until the tree grows up, which will give it the desired shape. Regular procedures are carried out so that growth continues quietly. The trimming of the side branches is carried out, depending on the chosen form. So a bushy tree is produced by pinning the top shoots. The formation of the thuja crown can occur in the following most common varieties:
- Pyramid shape.
- Spherical type of trimming (spherical).
As for the season, both spring and autumn are suitable. The first option is sanitary cutting of dry or frost-damaged branches. The second serves the purpose of winterizing. How to cut thuyu, given these two options and additional adjustment of the crown? Sanitary treatment is performed twice throughout the year: in the spring and autumn. The formation of a tree can be started with warming and carried out until the wilting season of nature.
Cutting off the surplus crowns is allowed from the first year of life. But the optimal period is 3 or 4 years, when the plant will get stronger, take root. When can I start cutting thuja about the time of year? Choose the summer period, its middle, continue until autumn. So the tree will be cut during the season 1 time for the formation of the form and 2-3 for the purpose of adjustment, which is better to plan closer to the fall.
How to prune it to successfully accomplish this, indicate the following basic recommendations:
- First, study the natural shape in order to focus on it.
- To reduce stress, the tree must be cut at a time by 1/3 of the total number of branches.
- Resin is extracted from the trimmed branches, in connection with which it is desirable to wear gloves and protect clothing.
- The thickness of the stems is different. Therefore, the tool is harvested: pruner, brush cutter, garden shears. Each - for a separate diameter cut. It is important that it is sharp enough so that the plant does not crack.
- Should begin in cloudy weather. So yellowing of needles and its brown sites are not formed.
- Finishing treatment, you need to water the tree.
What is the right way to cut thuya in spring, if this is your preferred season? You can not only remove the dried shoots, but also give the tree the intended shape. There are four steps to follow:
- Preparation tools.
- Inspection of the affected branches and form selection.
- Removal of dried shoots.
- Formation of the crown. This stage is produced in early April, but June, the last of its week, is also suitable.
Is it possible to cut a thuja tree to reduce height? The rules include the removal of the top shoots for this purpose. Further growth will extend in width. Также прореживают крону при ее чрезмерной густоте.
Обрезка на зиму
Необходимую форму туи поддерживают по мере необходимости. Иногда приходится проделывать это каждый месяц до самых холодов. Условие для благополучного проведения работ – сухая погода. If the garden or park is damp, there are many microorganisms in the air that can infect open wounds. Firstly. eliminate damaged branches.
Pruning in the fall
The branches that have grown on a tree over the summer, with the onset of autumn should be removed by 1/3 of their number. So already created form will be adjusted. Step by step instructions are as follows:
- The first stage - the study of branches: how to cut each to obtain the desired outline of the plant.
- Selected dry cloudy weather. So avoid brown spots on the crown - the effects of moisture evaporation. Immediately after the rain you can not cut, as you can attract diseases, pests.
- Apply blanks: arches, rectangles, twine to control levels.
The cutting of a thuja made in the summer includes only thinning of krone. Also correct the existing form. The decorative hairstyle proceeds in the spring, and also all summer season. Young greens are periodically removed. After the procedure should be abundantly water the plant. If fouling occurs at a rapid pace, reduce dressing, reduce fertilizer applied by quantity.
Tips for Forming Spherical Thuy
How should one form a thuja if the required outline is a ball? At the same time, bare branches do not leave, since they are doomed to drying, because this tree does not have sleeping buds. If you limit the growth vertically, cutting the shoots at the crown, they will develop in width. So you can create a plant with a spherical shape. For this, the long stems that stand out from the mass are removed.
For the western variety of thuja, varieties should be used to give this shape:
Thuja is popular all over the world. It attracts attention with an amazing natural shape, year-round greenery and unpretentiousness. It is necessary to cut the tree annually so that it looks the most decorative, has the desired shape. The procedure also provides sanitary care and regular adjustment.
Now, having mastered the basic rules, gardeners know how to cut thuja. Observing them, it will be possible to make attractive for a long time the various varieties placed on the site. Systematic care does not take much time. But the result pays for these costs.
Why cut thuya?
Typically, this type of cypress family grows alone and is used as a decoration of the area. Accordingly, it should have its own shape and depend on the landscape design as a whole.
Thuja has several varieties differing in:
Haircut is necessary for the plant in order to:
- Remove branches with diseases or those that have become dry and yellow,
- Give shape, suitable for design, is actively used in parks,
- Cut forked crown, if any.
Spring and summer pruning
After the winter period, the treatment should be done in the form of removing yellowed leaves and dead particles. If at this time the tree was covered from frost, then after disclosure it should be allowed to straighten for 2-3 days, and only then cut.
If the crown is thick, it should be cut off to get there oxygen and water. Giving shape only stimulates the development of the tree, so it is not harmful, and even useful.
The second season for pruning is the first of September, as it is necessary to complete the preparatory work for the winter.
The main indicators should be fixed:
- As thuja suffered hot weather,
- How many centimeters was the growth, usually normal is 25-30 centimeters.
The basic rules for cutting hair
The correct haircut of a thuja, provides:
- Volumetric shape
- Saturated color.
To do this, follow the rules:
- Do not cut branches short, maximum 15-30 centimeters, depending on the variety,
- It is necessary to cut 10-15 centimeters, but often, 2 times a month,
- Observe processing periods
- With love to the plant and carefully care for him,
How to properly trim and shape a thuja with your own hands?
Independently giving shape to a plant is absolutely not difficult, it is only necessary to observe the nuances for this:
- In the first year of planting on open ground, it is not necessary to engage in shaping,
- Next year you can start this procedure, but at the beginning you need to make sure the weather conditions
- The shaping should be parallel in several places,
- To move a meter or two away from a tui and look at your work from the outside,
- Remove the branches completely without bare trunks,
- The crown should be completely closed.
Novice gardeners should start training on varieties with natural forms, for example, a pyramid.
If you purchased a plot or for some reason did not deal with this tree for a long time, a cardinal haircut is required, triggering a new growth and volume.
Hair cutting tools
The following tools and devices will be suitable for the beginner in cutting of a thuja:
- Gloves that protect hands from unwanted cuts and pricks,
- Sickle, help to remove thick branches,
- Garden shears will give shape and do not cut off the excess,
- Secateurs, in fact, for pruning branches.
The final result of thuja pruning has a health purpose, and if you cut the branches correctly and often, you can get a tall and dense plant with a true shape. Each stage of working with any plant requires planning.
Tui Trimming Plan:
- Objective conclusion on the rhizome,
- Removing branches that prevent further growth,
Already from one name it is clear that haircut should be mandatory and pursues:
- Removal of dead and disease-related branches,
- Giving volume and density,
- U too high thuy clipped head,
- Appear bumps clean, they can be used in traditional medicine.
Tips and Warnings
Factors that have a beneficial effect on the cutting process:
- It is necessary to take into account the natural shape of the crown,
- Inspect the crown and prevent pests
- Crop hold a little, but often,
- To shape the need to use a stencil
- You need to follow the form on an ongoing basis,
- Cut branches without needles,
- Use the right tool
- Deleting branches must be started directly from the bottom.
Popular reception with designers that allows you to attract your attention. Basically, this technique is obtained if:
- Barrel one, if there are several, they must be related to each other,
- In addition, the barrel must be flat,
- To give shape, you can use paint, which will later be washed off, and during this period of time you will be able to trim the plant correctly,
- For the first time, you should only outline a plan of work, then you can cut off more strongly,
- Trimming is carried out with scissors, movements from top to bottom.
This haircut is the formation of a figure of wood, for this you need:
- The frame of the shape you want to receive
- Work can be carried out only with a thuja of a small age, since it must initially grow along the frame,
- Cut off as often as possible, but not much.
Haircut spherical thuja
Unlike other forms, each person is spherical and, probably, it is the most complex. But the positive side is that there are many types of thuja that are naturally round in shape.
However, if the tree was not cared for a long time, you can make a stencil of their wire and independently cut off the excess branches.
Features of cutting some varieties
Different varieties of thuja, as well as people and animals, have their own characteristics of growth, development and, accordingly, haircuts. In Russia, the most popular is the western thuja.
All varieties differ only in the form of the crown:
- Danica is a spherical shape
- Smaragd - pyramid shape,
- Columna - column at the top.
The last two grades do not require total and frequent pruning, they can only be leveled from all sides. Attention requires the Brabant variety, since it naturally has a shapeless appearance due to a loose top.
How to cut thuyu in a hedge?
The choices of a thuja variety should be with a definition for the future, so why should you acquire a spherical thuja if you need a pyramidal one, right?
The best option for the garden is to:
When setting a fence near the Tui, it is not necessary to wait until it reaches a certain height and density, you need to form a wall from the first years of life, this will help ennoble the area and not affect the root system.
For the formation of a smooth fence you need:
- Serka with big holes
Care after trimming
After trimming the tree, he needs more careful care and special attention. Care, as with any other plant, requires total, some of the species are the most whimsical, the other way around.
However, if the plant does not grow in breadth not in length, but your neighbor’s garden plot has already reached two meters, the reason is contained in:
- Too densely planted landing site,
- The soil requires fertilizer.
The following procedures are needed that should help to get stronger faster after trimming:
- Careful watering,
- Fertilizer. You can fertilize the land with one of the available methods, for this you need:
- Bread made from durum flour
- The water is clean.
The cooking method is:
In water, you need to soften the bread and leave for two days in a dark place.
- Spraying against pests
- Processing accelerated growth,
- Loosening the soil near the roots,
- Cleaning weeds that interfere with normal development.
Thuja Trimming Ideas
All varieties of Tui are an excellent platform for creativity. You can make both forms and animals from them, which will fit into the design of the park, the city alley.
Thuja, you can decorate absolutely any place, we owe this to the numerous variety of varieties and colors. They look succinctly in the building, in the garden, parks, or even an ordinary flowerbed.
Next to this tree, prickly and even greens without different colors look good, and also:
- Flowers saturated colors
- Fruit trees,
- Low-growing shrubs.
This tree remains in fashion at all times and seasons.
All ornamental plants and trees naturally require human attention, even if minimal, in which watering and pruning of trees lie.
However, if you need to get the attention paid by people, you need a minimal, but frequent care, then it will please you with shape and density. And then the tree can be given any shape that fits perfectly into any habitat.
Grow thuyu is not so difficult, it is only necessary to observe the basic rules for the care and then it will delight for many years.
Why cut thuyu?
Thuja as an element of landscape design acts as a single landing with a clearly defined crown shape: spherical, conical, or when forming hedges, protective wind screens.
The plant has several varieties with different shades of needles and the possibility of forming a crown. The decorative purpose of the thuja determines the need for regular pruning.
Purposes of Tui haircuts:
- sanitary: removal of dry, dead and diseased branches,
- thinning of the crown to create comfortable conditions for the plant:
- decorative: emphasizing the natural shape of the tree or artificial imparting the necessary configuration.
In undersized species a good bush shape is maintained with minimal pruning. An old thuja in the shape of a ball or column may eventually split into several trunks and begin to disintegrate. Taking into account the state of the tree, unnecessary trunks are removed.
Is it possible to trim all tui?
Thuja tolerates a haircut, subject to certain rules. Whether it is necessary to cut a particular plant depends on the suitability of the crown shape to the plantation of the gardener or the landscape designer.
Some varieties of thuja rather minimally cut the crown, because they have a natural beautiful view. Tuyu Brabant is pruned regularly, since this variety has a spreading loose crown. Haircut is carried out on the next year after landing.
Pruning thuja in spring and summer
Sanitary pruning is obligatory after last winter., removal of dead branches during the winter, damaged by snow. If the tree for the winter was wrapped with cloth, you must give it time to straighten it. Too dense crown is thinned to make the tree feel better in the heat. Molding cutting of branches is carried out after the spring active growth of thujas.
The best time for pruning is the end of May and the beginning of June. During this period, young shoots appear, buds bloom.
Crop thuya in autumn
The second optimal period for circumcision is at the end of August.when the tree begins to prepare for winter. Before cutting the thuja in late summer or early autumn (September), attention should be paid to the condition of the plant: how it survived summer, how good the green mass is at the bottom of the tree, on the ground. The fast-growing western thuja should give an increase of 30 cm over the summer.
The goal of autumn thuja pruning is to prepare the plant for winter. At the end of August thuja is cut not only for decorative purposes, but also for protection against snowfall.
How to grow more crops?
It is pleasant to any gardener and summer resident to receive a big crop with large fruits. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to get the desired result.
Often plants lack nutrition and minerals.
In such cases, our readers recommend using BioGrow's innovative bio-fertilizer..
It has the following properties:
- Allows increase yield by 50% in just a few weeks of use.
- Can get good harvest even on low fertile soils and in adverse climatic conditions
- Absolutely safe
Thuja western variety Smaragd best suited to create a pyramid, because it has a natural conical shape. Around the thuja creates a frame of rails, the number of which corresponds to the number of edges of the pyramid. Reiki are connected at the top of the pyramid. Haircut is carried out on all faces at once, otherwise it is difficult to achieve the same result on opposite sides.
The easiest way is to give the crown of the thuja a cone shape; beginners should try their hand at this type of haircut. To make the cone beautiful and not distort, a frame of three wooden slats is used. They make them a little taller than wood.
The slats are installed in the form of a hut, at the top they are fastened with a twine or wire. Then the branches are successively cut between the slats. At the end of the haircut is adjusted bottom of the tree.
The crown shape in the form of an egg is also among the simplest haircuts., because many varieties of Tui initially have a spherical or ovoid crown. For example, the crown of the thuja of the western variety Wagneri should be slightly corrected, since it has an ovoid shape. Touya Smaragd can give the shape of an egg, if you trim the top of the plant.
Horizontal crown formation
Tui will grow horizontally if you use special methods:
- A wire that does not allow branches to grow upwards is pulled over a plant that is not yet tall.
- In the autumn, the wire is removed, the branches stretched vertically are cut.
- You can hang various heavy objects on the branches or tie them to the pipes laid along the landings.
Main tasks and trimming order
Trimming a thuja helps to simultaneously solve several problems. Firstly, it is necessary in order to maintain the aesthetics of the plant. For this purpose, the elimination of dead, dried and parasitized areas is carried out. Literate pruning strengthens the branches and activates their growth in the right direction. At the same time, the appearance of the needles and its structure are not distorted.
Secondly, during the procedure, the crown is given a certain shape, which allows for the decorative purpose of the tree. If you quickly remove unhealthy branches, the foliage will become richer, and the plant will receive more nutrients and beneficial minerals.
Thirdly, manipulation will serve as an excellent prevention of diseases and the negative impact of pests. Thuja pruning has been successfully used as one of the methods of getting rid of parasitic organisms.
In order to maximize the result of Tui trimming, it is recommended to adhere to the following algorithm of actions:
- carefully inspect each piece of thuja,
- to form a preliminary form
- cut faded, painful-looking, defective branches,
- thin out the branches in the inner part of the bush, providing the plant with optimal air exchange,
- cut off the top of the foliage,
- cut the shoots of the last year, securing the created form.
Council Before you make the first cut, you need to study the layout of the branches on the thuja, and also clearly determine the direction of escape. If the branches are pulled up, the cut is made on the outer bud; if they are lowered, on the inside.
Recommendations for creating the correct form
The most common are three forms of tui trimming. Topiary haircut in the form of arbitrary shapes allows you to experiment, fantasize on the creation of new models of green sculptures. It is possible to perform on any tall TUI. Spherical trimming of the crown in the form of a circle is carried out using a frame. This form looks simple, but stylish. Spiral shape can be achieved without blanks.
Дабы не ухудшить внешний вид туи во время обрезки, следует учесть типичные ошибки, которые совершают многие дачники:
- Усиленная обрезка. Здесь действует норма: за один раз нельзя обрезать больше трети вегетативной массы дерева.
- Создание «залысин» на ветвях. Coniferous trees are not able to grow new greens on bare branches. Such shoots wither.
In the process of cutting the thuja can not do without special devices:
- bypass pruner,
- lopper cutter
- garden saw (hacksaw)
- patterns and blanks in the form of arches, rectangles, etc.,
- A string that determines the level of foliage formation on a thuja.
The tool must be sharp, comfortable, safe, not too heavy and resistant to significant loads. His choice will depend on the size of the thuja, the specific needs and goals of the gardener.
Attention! For the purity and clarity of the tool you need to closely monitor. On this depends not only the quality and speed of pruning, but also the health of the plant itself.
Optimal conditions for cutting the thuja in the fall and subsequent care
It is possible to trim the thuja from the onset of heat in the spring and up to the end of the autumn. When performing the procedure in the autumn, you should be especially careful and follow a number of rules. Only in this case, the process will bring high returns.
To begin cutting thuja is only in dry weather, when the temperature on the thermometer does not fall below 4ºС. It is desirable that at this time on the street was overcast. This will help to prevent the needles from grayish-brown and yellow spots that may occur in case of excessive evaporation of moisture due to active solar radiation.
Cutting thuyu in anticipation of cold is absolutely not recommended. Otherwise there is a risk that the pruned branches will not have time to regenerate. To do a haircut after the rain is also inappropriate. This action can trigger the development of various diseases and the emergence of harmful insects.
After the thuja pruning procedure in autumn, the tree is under stress and prone to illness. During this period, it is important to provide him with proper care, which consists of a set of simple measures:
- abundant watering - each tue requires at least 10 liters of water,
- top dressing - the tree is fertilized by humus, peat, other specialized mixtures (in the summer, top dressing is not needed),
- spraying with growth stimulants before winter - performed immediately after shearing to mitigate the effect of cutting on the plant.
The main advantage of TUI is its unpretentious care and the ability to realize a diverse landscape. An important part of caring for this evergreen decor is systematic pruning of the plant throughout the year. It will free thuja from dead diseased branches and give the crown the desired shape.
Spring cropping - how to
First pruning - sanitary. Its goal is to prune, perhaps, to completely remove tree branches that are dried or broken by winter winds and snow. When the tree fully wakes up from hibernation, and the average daily temperature is close to 10 ⁰C, then you can proceed to the forming haircuts.
Thuja western is a very plastic material for the formation of almost any topiarnogo pattern: it easily transfers haircuts, "responds" to them with new growth, which fills the holes in the crown. Pruning thin thin with openwork crown transform turns into a lush, dense beauty.
After a harsh winter, often the thuja, which exceed the threshold of 3 meters in height, bend the crown under the weight of snow with their own weight or shy away from the large trees that grow around them, and cut them in height.
As a rule, the Smaragd thuja has several trunks (from 3 to 5 depending on age): 1 - the leader and a few accompanying ones. Pruning begins with the main central trunk, which is cut off by 20 centimeters below the point that should be the top of the tree. Associated trunks and branches are cut so that the upper part of the thuja looks naturally conical. This will require an experienced hand of a gardener who understands the basic principles of the crown formation of coniferous trees.
Cones from Tui Smaragd.
The crowns of different forms of western thuja are formed each in its own way. This is due to the natural shape of the trees, which dictates the direction of the external appearance of the plant in the composition created by the designers:
- "Brabant" from nature it has a wide cone-shaped crown, which can be formed in the form of any geometric figure, cut complex topiary structures,
- "Emerald" - columnar plant. His crown is formed the correct form, regardless of the participation of the gardener - thick and dense. Therefore, it is advisable to cut out this type spiral and other shapes, deployed vertically: interlacing spirals, one spiral, balls upwards from larger to smaller. There are many options. For some complex shapes, it is possible to use a frame or special tools that will facilitate the work of the gardener.
It is possible to form practically any stem form from Tui Smaragd.
When exactly cut
Trimming thuja, forming the crown of the tree, produced in late April or May, depending on weather conditions. The next haircut can be in one and a half - two months, if there is a sufficient increase. Easy "cosmetic" haircut can be done without reference to certain terms: a separate branch on the plant began to actively grow, clearly overtaking the bulk, breaking the shape pattern - it is shortened by several centimeters to stop in growth, giving the rest of the opportunity to pull up.
During the topography is difficult to avoid mistakes. Even an experienced master can cut something extra. To reduce errors to a minimum, you should follow certain rules:
- Before you start work, you need to carefully examine the tree and map out placeswhere you need to cut off to form the desired contour.
- Cropped the tips of the branches, not more than 20 cm. this is enough for the main growth to stop, dormant buds wake up and the crown is filled with fresh growth. The process is not fast - usually occurs within 2 months, sometimes longer.
- To actively increase the green mass, it will be required immediately after shearing feed the plant with complex fertilizers and water abundantly.
- Regular watering Tuyam needed. These are hardy trees that can survive the drought, but with sufficient watering they will not only remain viable, but will also have a magnificent emerald crown.
Trimming various types of thuya, curly haircut examples
Each type of tui is used to form certain forms. For example, it is difficult to get a sprawling shape with spherical shapes at the ends of branches from the Thuja “Smaragd”, whereas “Brabant” can be turned not only into a smooth pyramid or a cone, but also made on the basis of nivaks.
The main forming haircut is carried out 2-3 times a season, cosmetic - as needed.
The hedge of parallelepipeds of thuja Brabant.
Thuja western "Smaragd" is cut in the vertical plane. The picture can be different: in the form of tiers of any geometric shape, balls strung on the trunk or spirals.
Adult Tui Smaragd, formed in the form of a spiral.
The method of forming the crown "Nivaki" is rooted in Japanese culture. There are 8 basic styles, each of which is assigned a specific place in the garden:
- Tekan. At the heart of the vertical single trunk, around which is formed a crown in the form of a regular triangle.
- "Sokan". Nivaks of this style are sheared on two trunks bifurcated from the root neck.
- Kotobuki. This is a kind of amulet, because its shape is an image of the Japanese character for “happiness”, next to which a traditional stone lantern must be placed.
- "Syakan". A single tree trunk is formed at an angle to the surface of the earth. Traditionally, these forms of nivak are located on the banks of reservoirs.
- "Moegi". The barrel is formed in the form of a sinusoid. As a rule, they are included in garden compositions.
- "Kongai". Crowns formed in this style have a falling shape. Look good next to the stony walls, slides.
- "Monkaburi". The tree formed in this style traditionally precedes the entrance to the garden: the lower branch should be very long and in the horizontal plane located above the entrance.
- "Kyoto". Style originated in the same city in Japan. The peculiarity is that it is formed exclusively on cryptomeria.
In the video below, Andrey Bout (Osokor Kennel) voiced the main principles of Nivaki haircut. Having many years of experience in growing plants, the nurseryman uses various methods of crown formation in his work and willingly shares his knowledge through master classes.
Formation of thuja crown
Cutting the crown of a plant begins upon reaching the age of 6 yearswhen it enters a phase of active vertical growth, it is sufficient to develop the root system. By cutting the apical shoot, the gardener sets the growth of the plant horizontally, which on subsequent haircuts can already give a certain shape to the crown.
In the form of a ball, you can form a crown at the "Brabant" at the ends of the branches. At the same time, the left branches are laid bare, at the ends of which spherical forms are formed.
Standard forms are given to thujas when they reach the desired height, after which the trunk from the bottom to the top is bare, leaving part of the twigs on the trunk that will later form a ball, cube or other shape.
Spiral haircuts Smaragd. Their crown is most suitable for such forms.
Garden, the main tone in which create different types of tui.
Each activity in the garden, including the forming haircuts of coniferous plants, requires certain practical skills and theoretical knowledge in the field of decorative gardening.