Pests are hiding on the underside of the leaves - until the insects breed, it is difficult to spot them. Gradually, small white butterflies begin to attack all the flowers in the house. To prevent this, indoor plants should be periodically inspected.
Description of the flying pest
Whitefly on flowers looks harmless, but does great damage to plants. Outwardly, it looks like a small mole. You can learn the whitefly on white wings, covered with a waxy powdery coating. The body length of the insect is no more than 2-3 mm.
The whitefly hides on the underside of the leaves, and eggs are left there. The danger comes mainly from the larvae - they feed on the sap of the plant, leading to its death. One female lays about 300 eggs per month. The life of an insect is about a month.
Whiteflies carry dangerous viral and infectious diseases. Due to the rapid reproduction and the ability to fly to remove the whitefly is difficult. If at least one insect was seen on the plant, it is necessary to carry out the treatment as soon as possible, carefully examine all the flowers in the house.
Insect life cycle
The development cycle of the whitefly from an egg to an adult insect lasts from one and a half to three months, depending on conditions and air temperature. The insect is formed in six stages.
- The first stage. The adult female lays eggs on the lower side of the upper leaves. The stage lasts from 11 to 22 days.
- Second stage A brown or black caterpillar appears from the egg. She is very small, mobile. Caterpillars live on the underside of the leaf, feed on the sap of the plant. In this state, it is from a week to 11 days.
- The third stage. Caterpillars turn into fixed larvae. The shape and color do not change - only the size. At this stage, the larvae are called nymphs. Stage lasts from five to seven days.
- Fourth stage. The larva remains stationary, retains color and shape, continues to grow in size. Development continues from one to two weeks.
- Fifth stage. The larva turns into a black oval pupa. It develops from a week to 34 days.
- The sixth stage. Adult insect hatch from pupa.
The intensity of development depends on the temperature. In the warmth, the cycle is completed quickly, at 10-15 ° C the development stops, at a lower temperature the whitefly dies.
Signs of infection
The easiest way to recognize a whitefly is to touch a flower. Disturbed insects will float in the air. Attacked plant starts to hurt. This is manifested in the following signs.
- Yellowing and deformation of the leaves. The larvae feed on the sap of the plant. Leaves first become stained, then turn yellow and deform.
- Bud fall. In a sick flower, the buds dry out and fall down without blossoming.
- Honeydew. The leaves are covered with a sticky sugary bloom.
- Secondary infections. A black fungus settles at the site of the raid. The affected areas are covered with black bloom, the leaves fall.
For the fight against whitefly use special preparations - insecticides. With a slight lesion, one-time processing is enough, but more often it is carried out again through the period specified in the instruction. A lot of drugs, but the most popular are the following.
- Aktara. Judging by the reviews of flower growers, an effective remedy for whitefly. The solution is poured on the ground in the area of the root system. The plant sap poisoned with insecticide leads to the mass death of the pest. In advanced cases, in addition to watering sprayed the ground part of the plant.
- "Confidor". Sold in the form of water-soluble granules. The solution is poured over the soil, with a strong defeat, plants are additionally sprayed. It leads to instant death of the whitefly.
- "Tanrek." Sold as a concentrated dilution solution. Used to water the soil around the infected plant. It has a long protective action - up to a month.
- "Akarin." The drug solution is used mainly for spraying plants. In addition to the whitefly, the remedy is effective against aphids, spider mites and other indoor pests.
- "Actellic". Concentrated dilution solution. It is used for spraying indoor plants with whitefly and other pests.
- "Inta-Vir". Sold in the form of water-soluble tablets. Used for spraying. According to the manufacturer, the drug is effective against 52 types of pests.
- "Fitoverm". In one or two treatments, it kills all larvae and adult insects. Effective insecticide - helps from most pests of indoor plants.
- "Malathion". Old, time-tested tool. Many newer products are made based on it. It has a wide range of applications, it acts quickly.
To destroy the larvae of the whitefly on flowers can be less toxic substances. Florists use tobacco dust, garlic, mechanical cleaning, exposure to temperature. Pest control folk remedies should be comprehensive.
- Mechanical cleaning. Plants regularly inspect, wipe the leaves with a damp sponge. When single pests are found, they are immediately destroyed.
- Cold exposure. The whitefly does not tolerate low temperatures. Frost-resistant plants exhibit on the balcony. Adult insects and larvae die, eggs remain viable - after a while the exposure to cold is repeated.
- Tobacco From folk remedies tobacco infusion is considered the most effective. Tobacco from a pack of strong cigarettes is poured with a liter of hot water, insisting five days, filtering. Spray indoor plants two or three times a day.
- Dandelion About 100 g of leaves and dandelion roots are crushed, poured with a liter of water, infused for four days, filtered. Spray the plants at weekly intervals.
- Soap. Soap solution is a common remedy in the complex fight against whitefly and other pests of indoor plants. Laundry soap rubbed on a fine grater, pour water. For one part of the soap take six parts of water. The solution wipe the leaves and stems affected by pests.
- Garlic Three cloves of garlic rubbed on a fine grater, poured with a liter of water, insist day, filtered. Processing is repeated several times until the complete disappearance of pests.
- Yarrow About 100 g of the leaves of the yarrow are crushed, poured with a liter of water, infused during the day, filtered. Sprayed several times, until the complete disappearance of the whitefly.
- Wood ash. A glass of ash is poured over 5 liters of water, left for three hours. In the infusion add 50 g of diluted soap. The mixture is treated several times infected with pest flowers.
Infected flower may become a breeding ground for pests.
Adult butterflies flit around the house, looking for secluded corners to hide from exposure to harmful substances. It is advisable to catch the moment when an individual has just emerged from the cocoon, at this time it needs an enhanced diet and a partner for mating. It is then most convenient to destroy the whitefly, then the butterflies will find secluded places, spread over a large area, and it will become more difficult to fight them.
Seeing even one white fly, immediately inspect all the flowers and take preventive measures. In 20 days, adult individuals hatch from eggs laid by it, and in a couple of months pests occupy all the plants.
As soon as you see one infected plant, arrange quarantine colors. Put a pot with an infected bush on a separate window, and place the place where it stood, water with soap and alcohol. Wash all surfaces that are not afraid of moisture: pots, painted walls and slopes, glass, windowsill, stand. Carefully inspect all your green pets - perhaps the pest has already moved to another instance.
For the plant on which the whitefly was noticed, remove the top layer of soil and fill in the fresh disinfected ground. Leaves that are badly damaged, cut, and the remaining parts of the flower, wash with a cloth moistened with soapy water. If the leaves can not be exposed to moisture, spray them with an insecticide. When the drops are dry, treat both the flower and the ground with a preparation for harmful insects. It is advisable to spray and other plants in this room.
Tune in to a long struggle - perhaps it will take about 2 months to destroy the butterflies. Every day, inspect all the flowers, remove diseased, dried and damaged leaves. Remove the observed egg clutches, and try to catch and destroy adult insects. The larvae stick to the green surfaces very firmly, they can only be washed off the hard leaves, and the tender parts of the plants will have to be cut. If you leave the clutch, the whitefly will grow on plants very quickly, you will have to fight it with strong and toxic insecticides.
How to notice whitefly on flowers?
A greenhouse whitefly usually attacks houseplants. This is a small butterfly with wings covered with white bloom. Immediately after leaving the cocoon, adult insects begin to mate and lay eggs on the wrong side of the leaves.
You can notice the presence of a pest on the following grounds:
- if you shake a flower, a swarm of small white butterflies will fly up,
- on the leaves are visible waste products of insects in the form of a sticky shiny bloom,
- eggs and larvae are located on the underside of the leaf.
The pest does not only eat the plant. The feces of moths with a sticky film clog the pores, the leaf loses the ability to breathe. In the discharge develops soot fungus that grows into green tissue. On the affected areas, white bloom appears first, then black spots. The flower loses strength, starts to hurt. Leaves turn yellow and curl.
The whitefly can attack any plant, but there are flowers that the pest especially loves. Often he chooses bushes with large dense leaves, where it is very convenient to lay eggs and hide.
Inspect regularly and very carefully:
Folk methods of protection of indoor plants
Chemistry is undesirable in garden crops that are grown for human consumption. Many owners of suburban areas are struggling with pests by folk methods. With indoor flowers, the problem of poisoned food does not arise, but not all flower growers want to breathe harmful fumes, fear that the child will run his hands into the poisonous soil. Get rid of the whitefly on indoor flowers folk remedies more difficult than chemical insecticides, have patience and perseverance.
Catch adult butterflies will help special traps. You can buy sticky tapes from flies or make a glue trap by yourself. Paint a piece of cardboard yellow, smear it with lube or petroleum jelly and place it directly in a pot or hang it over a flower. To attract insects you can add some honey. The butterfly will stick to the adhesive surface and will not fly away.
Eggs, larvae and pupae do not move around the room, they can be destroyed only on a flower. There are several recipes for getting rid of pests.
- In a glass of warm water dissolve a tablespoon of soap chips. Cover the green part with foam, wash off after 2 hours.
- Add a teaspoon of ammonia, technical or medical alcohol to the previous composition, add water to the volume of the solution to 0.5 liters. Compositions with alcohol can not be kept on the leaves for more than 15 minutes - after a quarter of an hour, thoroughly wash the flower.
- In 5 l of water pour a glass of wood ash, let it brew for 4 hours. Add 50 g of soap chips, mix well and spray the flower.
- Grind into a gruel 5 cloves of garlic, pour a glass of water, let it brew for 2 days. Filter and spray the plants every week.
- Cover the ground in a pot with paper, spread a slurry of garlic teeth on it. Cover the bush with a plastic bag in the pot. Keep the plant under the film for 7 days, opening daily for a few minutes for ventilation.
- In a liter of water, brew about 20 g of onion peel, let it stand for a day and spray the flowers.
- Plants that are not afraid of cold can be held for a couple of hours at temperatures below + 10⁰ C. Butterflies and larvae will die, but the eggs will survive, so after 10 days you will have to repeat the procedure.
If you use home remedies carelessly, you can destroy the flower, then all that remains is to burn the remains of the plant along with all the larvae and pupae. So that only the pests die, and your green pets are alive and well, remember that you cannot keep the soap solution on the leaves for a long time. The film closes the stomata, breathing and photosynthesis are disturbed. If using soap, rinse the solution thoroughly and in time. Do not treat the plants with delicate leaves with alcoholic compounds, look at a small area, how the green tissue will react to the solution.
To prevent solutions from rolling off the leaves, add a teaspoon of soap shavings to each liter of the composition.
The whitefly loves warm and humid air, therefore often settles in greenhouses and greenhouses. Knowing its features, you can find a way to prevent the appearance of pests.
To insects do not like to live on your indoor flowers, take the following measures:
- pour water out of pallets
- do not place the pots close to each other, the plants should not touch the leaves,
- Keep the first copy away from other colors for the first week,
- air the room
- If using soil from a forest or from a bed, sterilize it.
The whitefly loves almost all representatives of the flora, but still there are plants that the pest avoids. From time to time, you can spray the plants with infusions of herbs that the white butterfly doesn’t like. To prepare the compositions can take:
Healthy strong plants can fight pests and infections themselves. Increase the immunity of your pets, create conditions for them as comfortable as possible for this type: adjust the temperature and humidity of the air, lighting. Proper care will make the plants strong and strong, do not starve them, follow the regime of watering and fertilizing. Do not forget about hygiene procedures: periodically wash the above-ground part under a shower or wipe the leaves with a damp cloth. Before the “bath day” inspect the bush, remove all the sick and dried fragments.
If you want to have a indoor flower, do not forget that you take responsibility for a living organism. Your green pets can be friends with each other, then the two species will get along perfectly in the same pot. They may dislike, then one or both of the nearby bush will look depressed. Plants, too, are hungry and thirsty, sick, die. They cannot say in words what concerns them, it is necessary to determine the cause of discomfort by external signs. Provide flowers with good care, protect them from pests, and green bushes with bright buds will fill the apartment with beauty and pleasant aromas.
This tiny butterfly can be a terrible enemy for most indoor and garden crops, because its activity is accompanied by the rapid sucking of nutritive sap from the plants, as a result of which they lose their vitality and die. If there are too many such inhabitants on one room flower, then a few weeks will be enough for its existence to be on the verge of life and death. For this reason, the question of how to get rid of the whitefly on indoor flowers should be of interest to every careful grower.
Before looking for good tools and solutions for dealing with whitefly, it is important to carefully study the main features of the pest. The butterfly belongs to the aleurodid family, which is represented by more than 1,500 species of dangerous pests. Among the known species of whitefly:
It is worth exploring in more detail the greenhouse (greenhouse) butterfly, which can attack not only greenhouse crops, but also flowers that grow in indoor conditions. The pest looks like an equally dangerous insect - aphid, has small body size - up to 2-3 mm +. The wings of the whitefly are covered with white scum, resembling a layer of flour. It is known that pests can multiply very quickly, and laying eggs is carried out on the inner side of the leaf of indoor plants.
After 10-12 days, the first larvae form, which soon become adults. It is this stage of development that turns the whitefly into an extremely dangerous attack. Being in a cocoon, the butterfly practically does not react to contact with any chemical preparations, continuing its destructive activity.
When the process of becoming an adult is completed, the insects begin to mate, due to which their appetite becomes enormous. At this time, the struggle with the whitefly on indoor plants becomes very difficult. Дело в том, что полностью сформированное животное становится восприимчивым к препаратам инсектицидного характера.
Причины появления вредителя
Если вы ищете способы, как бороться с белокрылкой, обязательно узнайте, от чего заводятся насекомые на комнатных растениях. It is important to know that the main cause of infection is associated with illiterate care and the lack of the right conditions for normal growth and development. White midge appears as a result of the lack of basic care for different indoor cultures.
When asking how to get rid of the whitefly on houseplants, be sure to pay attention to the temperature at which this pest dies.
- It is known that the insect prefers places with warm air temperatures and high humidity. For this reason, greenhouses and greenhouses are considered her favorite place of residence,
- When the air temperature is below 10 degrees Celsius, colonies of larvae and formed individuals begin to die. At the same time, tiny testes tolerate even small frosts.
How to destroy a whitefly
The question of finding an effective way to destroy whitefly is of interest to many caring gardeners. The fact is that the green inhabitants of our apartments are able to create a cozy atmosphere inside the room and a balanced microclimate, conducting high-quality air purification from excess impurities. For this reason, the fight with the whitefly becomes a very popular action. Today there are three main methods to solve this problem. Among them:
- Folk remedies,
- Special traps and fumigators.
Each of the above methods may differ in its features and characteristics. Before you give preference to a particular option, it is important to assess the extent of the damage and make sure that the selected plant will normally transfer contact with a chemical or traditional drug.
Many white growers love to make whitefly with chemicals. This is not strange, because such funds are able to get rid of pest colonies in a very short period of time. When spraying the plant with a poisonous substance, its individual components penetrate into the flower juice, which, as is well known, feeds on white midges. However, before choosing such a drug, you need to make sure that it does not harm the “patient” himself.
Among the various drugs of chemical origin, the following are popular:
- Aktara. It refers to the most potent drugs that process the root system of an infected plant. As a result, the right amount of poisonous substance reaches the stems and leaves, which leads to the death of the whitefly. The tool does not harm the flower, while the larvae and adults of the pest die within a few hours. If the case is too complicated, besides watering the roots, you have to spray the green parts of the flower,
- Spark. It is a powerful insecticidal preparation of liquid or powder form. The poisonous component is used for watering and processing flowers, providing reliable protection against the appearance of new colonies for up to 20 days. Because of this feature, many growers use only this tool,
- Akkarin. Such a drug perfectly fights not only with the whitefly, but also with many other dangerous inhabitants of green room plantations, including aphids, spider mites and other pests. The agent is sprayed directly on the plant, allowing the poison to finally enter the body of the insect while sucking the juice,
- Fitoverm. A powerful insecticidal substance that fights against most dangerous pests. Among them - the whitefly. Active components can get rid of both larvae and adults, formed individuals. It is better to process the plant with fytoverm long before the flowering period.
Among the popular methods of dealing with whiteflies, mechanical is in particular demand. It effectively fights the problem and does not pose a danger to the health of the plant, children or domestic animals, which very often come into contact with an infected flower.
This solution will be effective only for indoor flowers, allowing a significant reduction in the number of pests, both of the larvae and adult members of the family.
Perfectly fights with the whitefly and the method of temperature exposure. It is enough from time to time to lower the internal temperature to 10 degrees Celsius, and a significant amount of pests will die. Naturally, in this way it is impossible to get rid of the whole colony, because some individuals have good immunity, and eggs tolerate exposure to cold. For this reason, the flower requires a repeat procedure.
Tobacco infusion is another very valuable remedy to combat whitefly on indoor flowers. Tobacco quickly fights most pests and has an effective effect on “our” butterfly. It is necessary to take a pack of strong cigarettes and remove tobacco from them. Then it should be filled with hot water and infused for about 5 days. The solution is filtered and used for 2-3 single spraying plants.
A great way to deal with whitefly is to make an infusion of dandelions. To create a means you need to take the leaves and rhizome, chop them and pour water in the ratio of 80 g of grass per liter of water. This infusion insist about 4 days, then filtered. The infusion is treated with infected plants. After 6-7 days, the procedure is repeated.
Also perfectly manifested infusion of garlic. To prepare you need to take 3 cloves of strong garlic, chop them in a grater and pour 1 liter of water. Then you need to insist the mixture for one day. In order to maximize the result of using the product, the procedure is done regularly.
You can fight with the colonies of the dangerous whitefly with the help of traps. True, such solutions only get rid of adult members of the family. The principle of their work is based on the use of glue or adhesive film, to which pests stick. You can create an effective trap option yourself. To do this, take a cardboard sheet and apply on it a small amount of liquid glue, which is characterized by a very long drying and the absence of a specific smell.
To insects stick more intensely, the design should be painted in a bright color.
As for the fumigators, such electrical devices are inserted into the outlet and sprayed with a special liquid soaked in toxic chemicals. After switching on the plate warms up and the liquid evaporates. As a result, pairs appear in the air, which lead to the death of the whitefly. For the procedure is enough 1 hour. It is important to close all windows and doors tightly and leave the room.
In addition to the use of various chemicals, folk remedies and electrical appliances, indoor colors need to provide a number of preventive measures. Among them:
- Elimination of water stagnation in pallets after the next irrigation,
- The absence of excessive crowding of the plant by planting them at a short distance from each other,
- Regular sanitary cleaning is the key to good flower growth and development. It is important to clean the flower from plant residues in time and get rid of dried shoots or dried inflorescences,
- Regular airing of the room
- The use of sterilized soil formulations. If you use forest or garden soil, be sure to save it from possible pests,
- The use of effective growth promoters and fertilizers. Among them is ammonium nitrate, which is made using nitric acid and ammonia,
- Periodic holding "water days" when the leaves are wiped with a wet cloth or "washed" in the shower.
Such simple measures will save the flower from the attack of a dangerous pest - the whitefly.
Ready and homemade traps
For the extermination of adults using ready-made or homemade traps. Reducing the number of whitefly helps to prevent their spread to other indoor flowers.
- Ready traps. The stores sell special traps for the destruction of pests. They are hung in close proximity to the affected flower.
- Homemade traps. As a base, use a thick cardboard of bright yellow color - it attracts insects. Any glue which dries for a long time and has no pronounced smell is applied on the surface. Vaseline or castor oil can be used instead of glue. Traps are hung on poles mounted in a pot.
Timely prevention measures will minimize the likelihood of whitefly and other pests. Need to follow six rules.
- Sterilization of the soil. Before using the soil mixture is calcined in the oven, poured over with a solution of potassium permanganate and fungicide.
- Compliance with quarantine. New plants are set apart from the rest of indoor plants. During the week, conduct observation, when detecting pests are treated with an insecticide.
- Pruning and hygiene. Cut yellowed leaves in a timely manner, remove plant residues from the pot. Do not use tea leaves and other food residues as fertilizer.
- Use of stimulants. Increase plant immunity by periodic spraying with growth promoters. Fertilizers regularly.
- Spraying and bathing. Spray the leaves with soft warm water, periodically washed the plant under the shower. Some colors are contraindicated.
- Airing. Do not allow air stagnation in the room. The room is regularly ventilated, avoiding the formation of drafts.
The fight with the whitefly on houseplants can take several weeks. It is important to bring the work started to the end - not only adult individuals and larvae should die, but also eggs laying.
Reviews: “I am cooking the infusion of garlic and sprinkling it on the plants”
I want to share how I got rid of the whitefly. I bought a room grenade through the Internet, before that I had a grenade, but I died from a whitefly. I really hoped that this one would be healthy. And here I receive by New Mail, I come home, I begin inspection. And oh god, and then the whitefly. I can not poison - there is a small child in the house, and it is cold on the balcony. She took the leaves and washed the “Maskitol” from moths. On top of course bag wore. Held for 3 hours. Then the bag removed and washed the leaves again. Part of the leaves suffered. Probably it was necessary to keep less. But 10 days have passed and there is no whitefly. She after all looks like a mole - so I decided with a remedy for moth. After all, this tool acts on the larvae, too, and for humans is not toxic. I have been processing them for more than one year, a fur coat and woolen things. It has the smell of lavender. I buy in the department where mosquito and moth products are in aerosol. Already grenade launched new leaves. While healthy.
I struggle with the whitefly with garlic. I prepare the infusion and spray them plants. You can also put a couple of cloves of garlic right into the ground, and put the same amount on top. The garlic smell repels many pests, including the whitefly.
Against the whitefly I use traps - coiled cylinders, sticky from the inside. They need to be updated periodically, because a lot of insects stick to them very quickly. If the procedure is done regularly. first, adult insects will stick to the traps, young people behind them, who have not yet had time to lay eggs, and there will be no one to lay eggs.
So, the whitefly is found on indoor flowers - how to get rid of the pest? For starters, all plants need to be carefully examined. Infected flowers must be quarantined in a separate room. There you can begin treatment. Consider the most effective techniques against the pest, as you need to deal with the whitefly as quickly as possible.
How to deal with a pest?
In general, all methods, both chemical, mechanical, and national, are effective. However, more preference should be given to all the same chemical, as they penetrate directly into the juice of the plant and poison it. After drinking the poisoned juice, the whitefly and all offspring die. If we turn to the folk methods, they act directly on the insect itself, destroying it. The larvae and eggs remain intact, the sap of the plant does not change.
Another way is traps, but they act only on adults, so that they are suitable only in neglected cases.
Insecticides that can fight whitefly
- Aktara. The tool is well-known to a professional gardener, as it is universal and can cope with a huge number of pests, even in the initial stages of development. The cost of 8.5 thousand rubles per 1 kg, but this amount is enough for several years, so you should not complain about the price. It is very simple to use it - to water a plant directly under roots. That's all. The plant absorbs the chemical and the juice is poisonous, which kills the insect almost instantly,
- Actellic. 3 thousand rubles per liter. Mostly struggling with a colony of insects, making troops at times less. It is not used as a single tool, it is best to combine it with Aktar. The only drawback - has a high toxicity class (dangerous to humans). Therefore, applying it you need to remember all the safety rules and thoroughly wash the area where the treatment was carried out. It also has an unpleasant smell
- Kinmiks. Cost: 4 thousand rubles per liter. It has a detrimental effect on the nervous system of the insect, death occurs in a day. Again, it is diluted in large quantities of water, so the flow rate is very long and the cost is not so high.
How to process?
In working with insecticides need to be extremely careful. Firstly, if the treatment is done in a residential area, then it is necessary to ventilate it well, and it is better to leave to air for a day. If there are fruits among the treated plants, they can be eaten only after a few days (ideally - after a week and a half).
Protect any part of the body where the chemical, window sill, or pores can be washed thoroughly. It is best to put on buried clothes, wear gloves on your hands. Places that could have been hit by an insecticide, rinse thoroughly with plenty of warm water.
Dilute insecticide with water exactly in the proportions indicated in the instructions. Thoroughly wipe / spray leaves, stalks (special attention should be paid to the underside of the leaf, since it is there where the larvae live until they mature).
Some insecticides need to be watered into the soil, so that the solution is absorbed into the roots and poisoned juice, which these butterflies feed on. Some gardeners recommend at the initial stages to make the solution 3-4 times more concentrated than it is written in the instructions (especially for "Aktara").
First you need to still find out under what circumstances whitefly appears. To do this, pay attention to the following factors:
- High humidity
- Tightly seated plants
- Stale air.
With these conditions, the whitefly appears on your houseplants. This is the most favorable, you can even say favorite conditions for the pest. As soon as it starts to get cold, the seedlings are standing one by one, the room is aired - the whitefly dies out.
Remember that pests will never appear on the site (even if it is indoor), which is constantly looked after. Need to constantly inspect the plants, look under the leaves, wipe them and sometimes change the ground.
Another trick is foil. It is used to reflect the sun's rays into the inside of the leaf. White butterflies hate the sun, so it will cause great harm to the larvae.
Observing the care of pets, checking them in time, you will definitely get rid of such misfortunes as pests. The whitefly is a very dangerous insect, the fight against which is simply necessary.
Whitefly on indoor flowers
The reason why your beloved home plant can start to wither, dry or rot, is often not at all caused by poor care, but by damaging the flower with pests. But it is not always possible to notice the parasites in time, to recognize their appearance in most cases is obtained only when characteristic symptoms of infection appear on a houseplant.
Prompt pest identification will help you quickly start appropriate treatment, including chemical treatment with insecticides. To poison the plant at random or as a preventive measure is not strongly recommended, therefore an accurate identification of the “enemy” is half the success.
Such a pest as a whitefly affects many indoor flowers. The name speaks for itself - this parasite can be identified by the white color of its wings. The insect is very small, depending on the type of its length is 1-3 mm. The life cycle of the whitefly is rather complicated, on the leaves you can find eggs, larvae, adults.
In total, there are more than two hundred species of whitefly in nature; indoor plants and garden crops most often affect the greenhouse, tobacco (or cotton), or citrus whitefly. Flowers such as geranium, fuchsia, nightshade, eucalyptus, pomegranate, gloxinia, lantana henbane, fern, calla, myrtle are especially affected by this pest.
The whitefly is a sucking parasite and is an extremely dangerous pest that is difficult to remove. Its larvae deprive the plant of juices and carry phytopathogenic viruses, which, without taking proper measures, leads to the death of the flower.
Causes of whitefly are often the following factors:
- stale air
- кучность растений.
Очень важно в условиях высокой температуры и влажности обеспечивать приток свежего воздуха, его естественное движение. Also, the cause of infection can be the soil brought to the house already sick plant (vegetable, melon, garden crop), whitefly can get on your flowers and just through the window or open window.
Methods of dealing with whitefly on houseplants
It is unlikely that you will manage to cope with the whitefly at one time - prepare for work on its extermination in several stages. Do not pull on the processing plant - the whitefly breeds very quickly. The female once in 25 days lays about 300 eggs, which after 2 weeks turn into larvae sucking the sap of the plant.
It is necessary to start the fight against whitefly with the hygienic treatment of plants. Create the conditions for the flowers so that in the morning there is a slight coolness - this will prevent the whiteflies from taking off. Take the plant to the bathroom and carefully wash the leaves from pests, especially pay attention to the reverse side of the foliage.
Replace the soil, contaminated - dispose of. If you can’t create a temporary coolness - use a vacuum cleaner - catch flying pests with them and wash the larvae with water. If your houseplant can tolerate low temperatures - below 15 degrees, optimally 12-14, then just put it in the "cold" for 7-10 days.
However, they do not completely suppress the whitefly at the stage of transformation of the larvae into so-called nymphs, therefore it is recommended to process the plant 2-3 times every 7-8 days, and also combine the treatment with biological preparations based on an entomopathogenic fungus, for example, Verticillin.
After washing, the plant is treated according to the instructions (sprayed, shed the soil) and wrapped in polyethylene to create a “toxic greenhouse”. The chemical will continue to evaporate and kill the larvae, if the treated plant is left without a bag, the whitefly is likely to survive.
This popular recipe helps to get rid of the whitefly quite well: garlic is peeled and crushed, poured with water (proportions 1 to 5), infused for 5-6 days, filtered and sprayed with this infusion infected plant.
How to know the whitefly
Whiteflies are active throughout the year and are distinguished by their ability to reproduce rapidly.
Eggs they lay on the back of the leaves, hidden from the sun's rays.
The body of the hatched larva is flat and translucent.
Juveniles move little: they need enough juice from the leaf on which they live. The whitefly most often damages flowers such as:
After the insect leaves a loose sugary discharge, which soon develops soot fungus. A plant that dies because of whitefly can be recognized by bleaching and deforming its leaves. Soon they begin to fall off, and at the same time with them the buds with flowers.
The whitefly is very tenacious and easily moves to newer and newer plants. In the house she can “move” even to another room, if only there are flowers. Sometimes the insect lives in greenhouses or in open ground.
Whitefly on flowers: how to get rid of mechanically
The easiest method of dealing with whitefly is to remove insects from plants by hand. For this you need to pluck the affected leaves and burn them. After it is necessary to ginger the earth in a pot.
The remaining leaves should be wiped with soapy water or plain water, and then dried. You can also hang around the plants sticky tape for catching flies: the whitefly on them, too, come across, but, of course, only adults.
If the colony of flies is especially active on some not very favorite flower, then it makes sense to sacrifice them: so you can be sure that the insects are completely destroyed.
Fly in flowers: how to get rid of folk remedies
The whitefly is not very susceptible to chemicals: insects just fly away “until better times”, but very soon come back. To begin with, you should try the struggle by folk methods:
- Pour boiling water over 100 g of crushed yarrow. Let it brew for 5 hours. Then strain and add a little dishwashing detergent. The resulting solution must wipe the affected leaves.
- You will need to fill with cold water 80 g of dried lemon or orange peels. Wait 18-24 hours and add 2 tbsp. l soap solution. Treat insect-infected flowers for 5 days in a row. You can store the product in the refrigerator, but not more than 3 days.
- It is necessary to collect leaves from 6 dandelions and finely chop the rhizomes of flowers. The resulting ingredients need to fill in 1 liter of hot water and wait until the infusion has cooled. They need to spray indoor plants every 1.5 weeks. Also dandelion infusion can be used to prevent the appearance of whitefly in the house.
- It is necessary to finely chop or grate 3-4 garlic cloves and pour the slurry 0.5 liters of water. After 4 days, the infusion will be ready for use. They should either wipe the leaves or spray the flower. Effective this tool is considered only at the beginning of infection.
As a rule, in a house where there are not many plants, it is easy to get rid of the whitefly by folk remedies.
How to get rid of whitefly with insecticides
There are many pest control agents. You can increase their effectiveness by adding a little shampoo or soap solution to the insecticide.
Thus, the chemical will linger on the plant and will affect the whitefly longer. The most popular are such tools:
- Aktara. On average, it costs 8,700 rubles. for 1 kg. The drug has established itself as an excellent means against insects. It paralyzes the nutritional function of the pests, causing them to die from hunger within 24 hours.
- Actellic. The average price is 3100 rubles. for 1 l. Helps to "thin out" the whitefly colony. Usually used in combination with Aktar.
- Kinmiks. Estimated cost - 4200 for 1 l. It affects the insect's nervous system by disrupting the transmission of impulses through the body. The death of pests occurs within 1-1.5 days.
Use of insecticides should be handled with extreme caution. If they are used in a residential area, it must be ventilated after treatment. In the case of using the chemical in the greenhouse on fruit crops, it is possible to eat the fruit no earlier than in a few days.
Whitefly in a greenhouse: how to get rid
To combat pests in the greenhouse can be all of the above ways. If for some reason they do not fit, you should consider these options:
- Spirals from mosquitoes. It is necessary to light at night in the greenhouse 4-5 spirals. In the morning you can find a lot of insect corpses. Since the larvae do not die from this, you need to repeat the procedure 3-4 times,
- Ash. Sprinkle the soil under the plants with ashes mixed with tobacco dust. Insects retreat quickly,
- Homemade traps. You will need to twist the cylinder of thick yellow paper. Inside the surface should be sticky: suitable for a long hardening glue. Traps need to be updated until the insects disappear from the greenhouse,
- Parasitic and predatory entomophages. They are great for fighting when there are a lot of plants. Usually used enkarzia and trichaporus. The number of predators depends on the area of the greenhouse: 15 pcs per 1 m2 of cucumbers, and 7-10 per 1 m2 of tomatoes or eggplants.
It is very difficult to completely get rid of the whitefly, as more and more new insects will hatch from the larvae. But sooner or later the time will come when the pests will die before they have time to lay eggs. This will be a victorious turning point in the fight against whitefly.
The favorite diet of whiteflies primarily includes: fuchsia, begonia, balsam, passionflower, pelargonium, lanthanum. In the absence of a favorite, the whitefly is able to attack most houseplants. In hothouse conditions, it prefers tomatoes and cucumbers, but does not disdain other plants.
External signs of damage to the plant whitefly
Whiteflies usually hide on the underside of leaves. On the upper side of the downstream leaves there is a brilliant bloom (honeydew, or pad) - insect excrement, on which soot fungi (“black”) develop later, due to which the surface of the leaf first becomes white and then black.
It is believed that soot fungi can greatly harm the plant, and not directly the whitefly. Sometimes because of them the growth of shoots stops.
All about whiteflies and how to deal with them
The whitefly is a small insect (about 1 mm long) with a yellowish body, two pairs of wings covered with a white powdery wax coating. The whitefly resembles a small white mole. Whitefly larvae are pale yellow with orange-red eyes, covered with short hairs.
The largest of them do not exceed a length of 3 mm. In nature, there are at least 200 species of whitefly, living mainly in warm regions of the globe. In the temperate zone, whiteflies are relatively few.
The average fecundity of one female is 130 eggs, but it can reach up to 280 ones. The larvae stray larvae come out of the eggs, which for some time move around the plant in search of the most convenient place for feeding. Having found it, the larvae stick to the leaf and begin to feed on the sap of the plant.
They are covered with a waxy bloom and molt three times. After the third molt, the larvae stop feeding and the dormant phase begins. The larval skin hardens and turns into a “false cocoon”. At this time, the whitefly larvae are virtually inaccessible to anyone, incl. systemic insecticides.
Larvae and adult insects suck the juice from the leaves, cuttings, less often from the stems, as a result the leaves become discolored, turn yellow, and sometimes dry and fall. On the sugary secretions of the whitefly, a sooty mushroom settles, as a result of which the plants weaken and die.
In addition, the whitefly is a carrier of viruses. The whitefly affects balsam, fuchsia, ferns, pelargonium and other houseplants with soft leaves. Whiteflies are held in groups on the underside of the leaves.
External signs of whitefly lesion
Fuzzy yellow spots (more fuzzy than those with spider mites) on the leaves and a slight twisting of the leaves indicate damage to the plants by the whitefly, which together with the larvae suck the cell sap from the veins on the underside of the leaves.
The consequence of this is the appearance of sugary secretions and soot that settles on them, sometimes the transfer of viral diseases.
Ways to fight whitefly
It is difficult to fight with the whitefly, but it is possible. The number of adult butterflies can be reduced by hanging a fly fly near the plants or another yellow sticky tape. It is necessary to regularly wash off the leaves of eggs and larvae.
At the slightest touch to the plant, the whitefly immediately flies away in different directions, so collecting insects is possible only in a cool place early in the morning, when after a cold night the insects are still.
It also helps the way in which the plant is placed in a humid environment - it can be a plastic bag worn on the plant and secured at the bottom (rubber band for example), while the plant is watered abundantly and sprayed with a spray bottle, and then placed in a bag for 2-3 days.
Insecticidal preparations can also be used (Actellic, Fufanon, Intavir, Decis). From biological methods they use microbiological preparations (bacterial, fungal): verticillin. Effective drugs new generation - pyrethroids, such as cypermethrin, talstar, arrivo, fury.
How to identify larvae and adults
Reproduction and distribution of whitefly occurs in several stages. First of all, the eggs are laid by the female (usually on the underside of the leaf). They have a small stalk that allows them to move around and look for a suitable place for food.
Fully hatched larvae resemble a gray baby. They are also located on the lower surface of the leaves of plants. At this stage of their development, they are absolutely not susceptible to the damaging properties of insecticides. As they develop, they feed on plant sap and promote the spread of black sooty fungus. The leaves of the plants that they damage are deformed, dry out and fall off.
An adult whitefly is a tiny insect resembling a small white moth with a yellowish belly. The length of his body is only 1-2 mm.
The colonies of these harmful insects affect both ornamental and garden-garden plants, both in greenhouses and in the open field. An adult individual emits a special sticky substance that contributes to the development of fungus on the leaves, causing them to turn yellow and die.
The main types of whitefly and the plants they damage
Most deciduous trees, such as rowan, pear, apple, and some types of shrubs, are being attacked by the so-called ash whitefly (Siphoninus phillyreae). Its larvae are distinguished by wide strips of white powdery plaque on the back and fringe of thin tubules with droplets at the ends.
The citrus whitefly (Dialeurodes citri) damages the ash, gardenias, various types of ficus and citrus crops. Its fringe larvae have no edges, but there is a Y-shaped mark on its back. Mature individuals are white.
The larvae of the white-crowned Crown (Aleuroplatus coronata) damage chestnut trees and oaks. They are black with a small amount of white spraying. Hibiscus, mulberry, banana tree, spur trees and many ornamental plants are the favorite “delicacy” of the giant whitefly (Aleurodicus dugesii).
Where can I encounter pests
But modern plant care facilities make it possible to create the necessary microclimatic conditions and grow many crops in areas with an unfavorable natural environment.
In nature, there are about two hundred species of whitefly, and many of them eventually learned to adapt to survive and develop in artificial conditions.
A warm and humid atmosphere is perfect for these pests. Therefore, in greenhouses, greenhouses and even apartments with a large number of decorative rooms to face their sabotage attacks most likely.
What is the possible fight with the whitefly
In severe forms of infection with whiteflies with their sabotage and distribution it is very difficult to fight. Most insecticidal agents do not help to get rid of the whitefly, they give a weak effect, and that quickly passes, because the larvae are completely insensitive to chemicals.
You can also remove some insects manually. So the leaves, which are larvae and adult pests, plucked from the trees and burned. To get rid of pests indoor flowers and plants, you can wash the leaves with infusion of garlic or yarrow.
At home, they also hang around the affected plants adhesive tape for catching adult butterflies. It also helps to place objects near a large surface, the color of which resembles sunlight (white-yellow-golden).
Some special preparations can also help get rid of the whitefly. Phosbecid, Furanon, Mospilan, Konfidor, Verticillin J, Actellic, Decis, Inta-vir, Fitoverm, Kinmiks are among them.
Whitefly on potted plants, how to fight?
The whitefly is a small white insect up to 3 mm long. Wings are covered with white mealy pollen. It feeds on the sap of plants, which causes them irreparable harm, even death. On the surface of the leaves, the whitefly lays many brown eggs, from which larvae appear. The larvae barely reach 0.3 mm in length.
How to detect
In the early hours, the larvae move around the plant until they find their place. In the future, they remain in place until full maturity, feeding on juice. Adult insects fly and breed well. Often, the pests are on the lower side of the leaf plate.
Any flying white mole indicates the presence of a whitefly near. She is thermophilic and prefers warm greenhouses and home comfort. There is a large number of pest species, some of them are able to survive in open areas in middle latitudes with a temperate climate.
Like the ale, the whitefly leaves a brilliant bloom on the leaves - honeydew. This is a waste from life. Honey dew, provokes the appearance of soot fungus, in the form of gray or black spots.
External signs of the plant: growth stops, fades, loses decorativeness, the leaves turn yellow and curl.
At risk plants
Whitefly is attacked by more than 300 species of shrubs and herbaceous plants.
Most often attacked:
- St. John's wort
- St. John's wort
- the Rose,
- to cry out
- Apple tree.
Conditions for the appearance of whitefly
The appearance of any pests or diseases is accompanied by improper and impaired care, the creation of favorable conditions for their appearance and further reproduction. Consider the conditions under which the probability of a whitefly hitting a flower increases.
В зимний период, выбирают теплые помещения, теплицы, оранжереи. Они способны перемещаться с одного растения на другое, заражая весь сад.
Для предотвращения появлению белокрылки, необходимо соблюдать несколько правил:
- The room must be regularly and well ventilated.
- Flowers are planted at a certain distance from each other.
- Hold moderate moisture
- Do not spray at low temperatures with high humidity.
- Regularly treat the plant with growth stimulants (epine, home-flower, etc.) and apply fertilizer.
Pitfalls - the principle of action
Traps are designed to catch only adults. Often it is adhesive, or sticky films. Use purchased, or make their own. It consists of a sheet of cardboard on which glue is applied in a liquid state, which does not dry out for a long time. They are hung above the plant. Components are selected without odor and toxins.
Traps are painted in bright colors to attract pests. They are widely used for any purpose, from mosquitoes, flies, aphids, thrips and other insects. Cooking at home is not such a difficult job.
Can be installed in a pot on a rigid support. Regularly as flies stick, the traps must be cleaned or replaced with new ones. The stores also sell fly adhesive tapes, which are also suitable as a trap.
What is a fumigator?
This is an electrical device into which is inserted either a special plate with harmful substances from insects, or a container with liquid. When heated, the plate heats up (or the liquid evaporates) and emits a smell into the air that mosquitoes, including the whitefly, do not tolerate.
Pre-indoors shut windows and doors. It is not recommended in the room itself. The fumigator include a short time of 30-60 minutes.
Before you find effective methods to combat whitefly, you need to know how it looks. The insect belongs to the Aleirodid group, which includes about 1,500 species of various pests. The following varieties of whitefly are found in our regions:
Greenhouse or greenhouse whitefly is a great danger not only for greenhouse crops, but also for indoor plants. A tiny butterfly, in the size of up to two or three millimeters, strongly resembles a plant louse. On its wings is a white, flour-like plaque, which often gives rise to the presence of a pest on the crop. Whitefly breeding occurs very quickly, and eggs are laid on the inner side of the leaves. After 10-12 days, the larvae are born, which soon become adults. It was during this period that the whiteflies are extremely dangerous and practically do not react to the means and preparations used.
When the process of becoming an adult comes to an end, insects begin a period of active feeding and mating. You must take drastic measures to combat whitefly, otherwise in the future they will be ineffective. Older members of the colony are not afraid of insecticidal drugs.
How do symptoms of infection appear
Before you begin the search for funds from the whitefly, you need to make sure that the plants are affected by this pest. It is easy to determine the presence of a white butterfly. It is accompanied by some signs:
- the larvae love to settle on the bottom of the sheet plates. But there are butterfly eggs,
- if the whitefly attacked the culture, then shaking leaves from under them will take off a whole swarm of fluttering insects,
- also a significant symptom of infection can be glittering sticky texture. It is the fruit of the life of the butterfly, which can leave both the larvae and more mature individuals
- appear gray or black spots on the leaf plates. Such troubles are caused by soot fungus, the occurrence of which is associated with insect excrement,
- the leaves of the affected plants quickly turn yellow and curl, and their growth noticeably stops.
In addition to garden and crops, the butterfly often attacks indoor flowers, such as:
Often it can be seen on the pomegranate and on the balsam. In the case of garden crops, the whitefly prefers strawberries, potatoes or cabbage.
What causes whitefly
In most cases, white midges appear due to illiterate care of the plant and the lack of preventive measures. If you do not follow the basic rules for the maintenance of specific plants, this will cause the creation of ideal conditions for the spread of dangerous misfortune. Every gardener should know in which environment the butterfly dies, and in which it develops:
- It is known that the special reproduction of whitefly is seen in warm and humid conditions. Because of this feature, the insect often attacks greenhouse and greenhouse crops.
- When the air temperature drops to 10 degrees Celsius, the adults begin to die en masse. Also, low temperature has a detrimental effect on the larvae, however, the eggs calmly tolerate even minor frosts.
How to get rid of the pest
The state of greenery worries all flower growers who understand that plants create a comfortable microclimate in the house and carry out effective air cleaning from all kinds of impurities and toxins. Currently, there are different ways to deal with whitefly. Conventionally, they can be divided into such groups:
- fumigators and traps,
The effectiveness of a particular method is different and is determined by some factors. Firstly, it depends on the degree of culture damage, and secondly, on the correctness of all measures to combat the pest.
If you carefully read the instructions and use the advice of professionals, most likely you will be able to get rid of the problem in a short time.
Popular methods of dealing with whitefly
Unlike chemicals, folk methods are completely harmless and at the same time very effective. True, to notice a significant effect, you will have to spend more than one action.
Many growers have learned to fight with a white butterfly mechanically, rubbing the leaves of plants with water and a sponge. The method will be effective exclusively for indoor cultures, will reduce the number of adults and larvae.
The way of temperature exposure is very good when the temperature drops below 10 degrees Celsius in the room. But it is known that in such a range the whitefly simply perishes. True, pest eggs tolerate extreme cold, if they are short. To destroy them, it is enough to repeat the procedure of temperature exposure several more times.
The use of tobacco infusion is a very effective remedy for whitefly. To prepare the solution, you should take a pack of strong cigarettes and remove tobacco from them. Then you need to fill the composition with a liter of boiling water and put for 5 days in a dark ventilated place to insist. In the end, it remains to strain the infusion and spray plants with it 2-3 times a day.
Not bad struggling with whitefly infusion of dandelion. But to make it very easy, because beautiful plants grow in almost every garden. In the process it is necessary to chop the leaves and rhizomes and pour water, keeping the proportion of 80 grams of crushed plants per liter of boiling water. After 4 days of infusion, the solution is filtered. On the basis of the preparation obtained, highly effective means are created for spraying infected cultures. After 6-7 days, the treatment measures are repeated once more.
The soap solution manifests itself very well, but only in the early stages of lesion with the whitefly. It is very simple to make it: it is enough to take a laundry soap, grate it on a fine grater and dissolve it in water, maintaining the 1: 6 ratio. The resulting mixture should be whipped into the foam and applied for strict purposes.
Garlic infusion is also very good. To create it, you need to take 3 cloves of garlic, chop them and pour a liter of water, insisting throughout the day.
Such solutions will be effective in combating adult members of the species. Eggs and larvae do not fall into the trap. The principle of operation is based on the use of adhesive film or glue, to which butterflies stick during natural life activity. It is not necessary to buy a trap in the store - you can make it yourself. To do this, apply a liquid glue to the cardboard sheet, which will not dry for a long time and will not emit a specific odor. In order for the trap to attract insects in a particularly intense way, it can be colored in bright colors.
To deal with the whitefly, you can use a quality fumigator. Such a device is a highly efficient electrical device that must be inserted into a container with a special liquid or plate that has been impregnated with toxic substances for the pest. It is enough to feed the device to the source of electrical network and leave the room, tightly closing the windows and doors. A one-hour procedure is enough for the pest colonies to be completely destroyed.