The lawn on the site gives an unprecedented pleasure from the contemplation of a perfect, well-groomed and dense green carpet. But the impression of decorating the site and one of the most attractive objects in landscape design is produced only by well-groomed lawns. And it is the constant and tireless care for your favorite emerald grounds is the most difficult moment in their cultivation. The lawn requires not just regular, but also careful care, which does not stop throughout the active season. And if the haircut is a separate component of care, which requires an individual approach, then all lawns, without exception, need watering, dressing, airing.
Lawn on the dacha
6 lawn care ingredients
The perfect lawn without perfect care is not obtained. This truth is obvious to anyone who has experienced problems in the development of the lawn. The only way to keep the green carpet in immaculate condition and avoid difficulties is to strictly adhere to the rules of creating a lawn and from the very first procedures to provide him with tireless care. Neither the elite type of grass mixture, nor even the services of lawn professionals will give results, if only one mistake in care is allowed.
So, lawn care should be regular, systemic and complete. But the main difficulty is not even that all procedures should be carried out in a timely manner, but the fact that lawn care is not limited to basic components only. In addition to the obvious and very important procedures, such as cutting and watering, lawn care also includes a whole range of important measures, some of which are strictly preventive. Basic lawn care is in many ways similar to the care of any garden plants. It includes six components:
- Cutting and maintaining the edges.
- Airing or aeration.
Additional measures to eliminate defects:
- restoration of bald spots,
- fighting moss
- weed control.
Haircut and care for the edges of the lawn can be easily equated to art and separated into a separate “point” of care. He is the most important in lawn care. This very important procedure is crucial not only for the formation of a beautiful, but also healthy lawn. Moreover, the lawn mowing has a lot of nuances, and here it is very important to choose an individual approach to the selection of the height and frequency of the procedures.
Both lawn cleaning and lawn repair claims to be a special care component. These are measures to combat pollution, mosses, weeds and problems in the development of turf, which also require a special approach. But the three "P" - watering, weeding and ventilation - the basic and simple components of green carpet care, in which, if properly organized process, it is difficult to make a mistake.
To make the lawn look beautiful, you need to mow it regularly.
Difficulties in lawn care do not need to be afraid. He needs care, like any object that is truly important to you on the site. Modern technology and automatic watering systems solve most of the problems associated with caring for green areas. If you like lawns, then any “trifle”, even the most time-consuming procedures will be fun. Living emerald carpet itself signals about problems and gives a lot of pleasure in the details of care. Moreover, each operation literally transforms the lawns and gives the feeling of observing the fast fruits of their efforts.
Active lawn care continues only during the active garden season - from spring to autumn, and the two transitional seasons are completely excluded during the period of work with the lawn. Winter is a time of good rest, when the main task is not to cause harm to the emerald carpet. Consider the features of care for green areas by seasons.
Spring lawn care
The start of the season of caring for emerald carpets does not coincide with the start of the main garden season. The first procedures for the lawn are carried out only in April, in the middle zone - traditionally not earlier than the third decade of the month. And then in the first works you need to be careful and do not harm the turf excessive load.
In early spring it is better to avoid:
- walks on the lawn, especially on grass that is wet or frozen at night,
- watering and any prikatok.
Procedures in April are reduced only to the removal of dry grass and debris from the surface of the lawn with a light rake or manually. They carry out the cleaning only when moisture leaves the soil and the turf will not be in a too wet state.
Full lawn care only begins in May. After thawing and drying, the upper skinker of the soil starts the first serious procedures:
- When establishing a stable positive temperature, in the first place, it is often recommended to apply a nitrogen top dressing for rapid growth and recovery of turf. But for dressing you need a haircut, and you need to postpone the dressing until the first mowing procedures.
- Conduct mandatory scarification, removing debris, moss, dry grass.
- If necessary, sanding, polishing, and grass sowing are carried out on the lawn. When laying a turf, they cut out and replace the damaged areas of turf.
- When there are obvious signs of a lesion, fungi undertake treatments with fungicides to prevent the problem from spreading to a larger area. But since all spring procedures contribute to the recovery of the turf, they usually wait until summer with serious measures and apply fungicides in the case when the main measures did not help.
- After the grass rises to a height of 8 cm, the first mowing to a height of at least 5-6 cm is carried out. It is undesirable to leave mowed grass on the lawn in the spring.
- After the first or second haircut spend the first feeding. For spring, you need to use nitrogen mixtures, starter or complex fertilizers for lawns. Blend together with abundant watering and on cool days, avoiding any procedures in dry and hot weather.
- After the second or third shearing, aeration is carried out, piercing the turf to a depth of about 5 cm over the entire surface of the lawn.
- In the damaged areas continue seeding and laying new turf.
- Begin to fight with weeds mechanically - by manual removal.
Lawn care in summer
The most traumatic season for lawns is associated not only with the need to ensure regular watering and top dressing, but also with a high risk of lawn seizure by weeds and loss of decorative turf. At the beginning and the end of summer, active robots carry out with a lawn, but during the heat of July the procedures limit only the vital ones.
In early summer, the lawn will need the following measures:
- Weed treatment, which is best done in the first half of June.
- The first feeding in the summer season, which is carried out with the use of complex fertilizers. The optimal time frame is the second or third decade of June.
- Regular watering, which is carried out, controlling the degree of drying of the soil and focusing on the abundance of precipitation.
- Regular haircut with a frequency of 4-7 days (in early June, it is still not desirable to allow haircuts below 5 cm).
- Mulching with prolonged droughts (mowed grass is left on the lawn for several days).
In the middle of summer, lawn care comes down to the following procedures:
- Regular abundant watering.
- Classic haircuts.
- Top dressing complex fertilizer for lawns in the second decade of July.
- Additional grass seeding on bald spots at the end of July.
- Treatment with fungicides for signs of the spread of fungal infections.
Of all the summer months, the most active care lawn is needed in August. On the threshold of autumn, you need to take care in advance that the lawn will receive all the necessary care and be fully prepared for the cold weather. Mandatory procedures include:
- Watering in dry weather with a gradual decrease in soil moisture and an increase in the interval between treatments.
- Haircuts with a frequency of about 1 time per week.
- In August, the first fertilizing with autumn fertilizers is carried out (if the lawn is in a weakened state or there are signs of a lack of nutrients, fertilizing can also be carried out using universal fertilizers, but only in the first half of the month).
- Reprocessing from weeds.
- Seeding grass or replacing damaged sod.
- Mandatory combing and scarification.
- Repeated treatment with fungicides for fungal infections.
Lawn care in the fall
The main task in the fall is to remove garbage from the lawn. Raking fallen leaves is only the first step to preparing the lawn for winter and putting it in order, but it is very important. The accumulated debris must be removed as quickly as possible: under the leaves of the sod, the grass spreads and the risk of spreading fungi is high.
Preparing the lawn for winter includes several important procedures:
- The haircut is performed less and less often, only in September with a frequency of 1 every 14-15 days, in October they are guided by the weather and the growth rate of the grass. The last shearing is carried out at the end of October, with a warm autumn - at the beginning of November, leaving the grass height not less than 5 cm.
- Aeration is carried out in the autumn only if it is really necessary; there are signs of excessive compaction of the turf or its overwetting due to heavy rainfall. But you need to have time to catch it in early autumn, when combined with the need for sanding and liming.
- Conduct thorough scarification.
- At the beginning of autumn, special autumn lawn fertilizer is introduced that will allow green carpets to prepare for winter.
- Subwinter crops are carried out at the end of October in bare areas and bald spots.
- From mid-October on the wet grass should try not to walk.
Lawn care in winter
In the cold season, the lawn must be protected from any outside interference and from any load. It is better not to walk on the lawn from the moment when the growth of grass stops - when the temperature drops below the mark of +5 degrees. Neat walks or careful steps can only be allowed when the lawn is covered with a thick layer of snow. And even then, in the absence of extreme necessity, it is better not to attack the surface of the lawn: it is at this time that the risk of inevitable damage to the turf is high.
Usually it is recommended not to take any action with the cleaning or distribution of snow, pouring it on the lawn. But one procedure may still be necessary in winter: if as a result of a strong thaw or a sharp temperature drop, weather anomalies instead of snow, a lawn covered the ice crust, then it is desirable to destroy it with a rake, pitchfork or any other tool.
Features of watering and lawn mowing
Proper soil moistening is vital for plants. Watering the lawn has the following features:
• it is best to organize a centralized irrigation system, equipped with sensors that will control the intensity of moisture depending on the external environmental conditions,
- Do not water the grass with very large amounts of water. If puddles form on the lawn, its quality will deteriorate (the grass will begin to turn yellow and rot)
- it is better to irrigate the lawn in the early morning or after sunset, when it is not very hot outside,
- watering should be carried out once every 2-3 days. The frequency of irrigation depends on the amount of precipitation, and also on whether the season is hot or not.
Now consider how to mow the lawn. It should be done with special devices: trimmer or lawn mower. The height of the cut grass should not be less than 4 cm. If you cut the plants even lower, you can damage the "green carpet". If the grass is too high, then it will have to be cut several times. Of course, this will take more time, but the treatment of the green carpet will be better and neater.
How to carry out proper lawn care in summer and spring?
All activities should be carried out only after the snow melts completely and the frosts stop. First you need to make the soil saturated with special fertilizers. In addition, you can do soil mulching. Further, it is necessary to eliminate weeds and damaged residues of the lawn "carpet" from the ground surface.
Before sowing the seed, it is also necessary to saturate the soil with oxygen. To this end, a special technique is used to aerate it. In order for the lawn to be beautiful, it is necessary to pre-level the soil. Sowing of seeds is made over the entire area of the lawn. In this case, one should pay special attention to the areas where the grass was damaged.
Now consider what kind of lawn care is supposed to be in the summer. So, besides cutting and watering the grass, weeds should be produced and eliminated. You can fight off unwanted plants with the help of chemicals or by mechanical means, that is, you can pick young weeds by hand. Despite the means used, the destruction of unwanted plants should be carried out carefully and carefully. That is, try not to leave weed roots in the soil. If you use chemicals, then try to apply them so that the product gets to the cultivated plants in the minimum amount.
Rules for the care of freshly planted lawn
After the seeds have been sown or the finished lawn has been laid, it is necessary to carefully observe the irrigation regime and to carry out mulching.
- On hot days, the lawn must be watered every day (early in the morning or late in the evening, when the sun is not so intense).
- It is highly undesirable to walk on the newly planted lawn (until the height of the vegetation reaches 10 cm)
- The top layer of soil 10-15 cm thick should always be moistened.
- It should not be allowed to dry out the top layer of the soil just sown lawn, it may affect germination (the lawn may not ascend ever).
- In autumn or when the lawn has risen, the intervals between watering can be increased: the weather is rainy and the need to regularly moisten the soil disappears.
- The first haircut is carried out when the seedlings reach 10 cm in height. Lawn mowers or sharp oblique cut the tops of the grass, leaving blades of grass 5-6 cm long. It is important that the tools used for mowing be sharp enough. After mowing the lawn should always be watered.
Considered landscaping the site, as well as proper care for it will be the key to successful work. If you follow all the rules and the appropriate attitude, the lawn will delight you with its greenery from early spring to late autumn.
Adding an article to a new collection
All you need to know about watering, feeding, mowing and lawn weed treatment in the summer, in one article. Take note!
In order for the lawn to please you with a well-groomed, healthy appearance until the very beginning of autumn, it is important to take care of it correctly and regularly: observe the interval and dosage when applying fertilizer, cutting and watering mode, and timely deal with weeds. We tell how to do it correctly.
Features feeding the lawn in the summer
The main task of summer lawn feedings is to maintain the active growth of the grass, to give it a healthy look and rich color, as well as to increase its drought resistance.
That is why in the summer your green "carpet" needs a loading dose of nitrogen and potash fertilizers and only a small amount of phosphorus.
- Stimulates grass growth
- Gives a rich green tint
- Grass turns pale
- Growth slows down
- On the lawn formed "bald spots"
- The lawn is re-compacted
- Plants are more susceptible to disease and less resistant to adverse conditions.
15-20 g of ammonium nitrate per 1 sq. M or 15-20 g of urea per 1 sq. M after every second lawn mowing from May to early August and 1 time in late August-September
- Stimulates the accumulation of nutrients in plant tissues, which helps them to tolerate winter well
- Stimulates rooting
- The lawn gets a purple hue
- Grass becomes brittle
- Blocks intake of trace elements to different parts of plants
- Inhibits grass growth
- May turn into an insoluble compound
- Maintains water-salt balance of plants
- Increases resistance to drought and high temperatures
- Leaves of grass get marginal burns and die off
- Grass roots burn and die
Of course, the easiest way to make complex fertilizers, the composition of which is carefully selected by experts. So you will be sure that your lawn receives all the necessary nutrients.
Feed grass complexes of prolonged action (Floranid, Compo Duratek, Bazakot, Florovit, etc.). Granules of such fertilizers are partially covered with insoluble resins, due to which nitrogen is released gradually. Due to this, the lawn grows thick, uniform, without bald spots. Usually feeding is carried out every 1.5-2 months.
When and how to fertilize the lawn?
All lawn grass dressings are carried out after mowing. If a liquid fertilizers and dissolve well, they can be diluted in a small amount of water and applied directly to the irrigation system.
Dry dressings contribute on a different principle. Для начала газон необходимо полить, затем – дождаться, когда листья травы подсохнут. Лишь после этого можно вносить удобрения. В конце газон снова поливают.
После внесения сухих удобрений газон в обязательном порядке поливают
Правила летнего полива газона
In order for the juicy green color and fresh look of the lawn to please the eye, grass needs regular abundant watering. However, in this case it is necessary to take into account some important nuances.
- Water only after the turf has dried.
- Do not water the lawn during the day. The best time for watering is early morning, evening or night. Wet grass in the scorching sun can simply burn. To moisten the lawn in the heat of the day is possible only in the case of abnormal heat, when watering a day is not enough.
- The amount of water needed for one irrigation depends on the type and degree of drainage of the soil. Focus on the fact that after the "water treatment" the soil should be saturated with moisture to a depth of 10-15 cm.
- Irrigation mode can not be broken. If the lawn will receive water irregularly, it will certainly affect the quality of the grass. In the summer it is enough to water it on average once every 3-5 days.
- It is better not to pour water than to pour! It is easier to restore a slightly dried lawn than to divert excess water from flooded sod. Water your grass cover "without fanaticism" if you do not want a fungus to develop on it.
- Use a sprinkler for watering.. The lawn needs to be watered without strong pressure, imitating light rain, otherwise you risk washing the fertile soil layer and damaging the sod.
If you plan to install automatic sprinklers, it is advisable to do this before a lawn is planted on the site. The process of placing the automatic watering system is not easy, it requires an accurate calculation of the pressure in the pipes and taking into account other nuances. Therefore, whenever possible, its installation should be entrusted to professionals.
Lawn mowing - how to avoid mistakes
To the lawn was thick, healthy, beautiful, it must be regularly mowed. True, it is important to do it correctly.
The main rule of lawn mowing, regardless of whether you use a trimmer or an ordinary scythe, is a sharp tool. Dull blades damage the leaves of the grass, can pull out plants with a root. This not only looks unaesthetic, but also disrupts the integrity of the sod.
Another important question - how high to mow the lawn. The answer to it depends on the climate and weather conditions of the area. In not hot regions with frequent precipitation, you can mow the grass to a minimum height (1-2 cm). If summer droughts and heat are not uncommon in your area, mowing a lawn to a height of less than 3 cm can destroy it. On the other hand, too high grass cover (above 8 cm) provokes the appearance of weeds.
For the middle band, the optimum height for cutting a lawn can be considered 5-7 cm. Naturally, on hotter summer days it is advisable to mow a few inches higher.
Do not mow a lawn with a blunt tool.
Also do not forget that when using a lawn mower, it is important to maintain a uniform mowing rate. If you slow down then accelerate, the lawn will be unevenly cut, which also degrades its quality.
Equally important and mowing direction. Keep in mind that for a smooth, beautiful lawn, it is desirable to alternate the direction of movement of the lawn mower during each haircut.
Lawn owners disagree on whether to immediately remove the cut grass or leave it as mulch. On the one hand, the "veil" of cut grass provokes the appearance and attracts earthworms, and after them - the moles. On the other hand, in hot, arid weather, fresh hay reduces moisture evaporation and reduces the "stress" that herbage experiences after mowing. In addition, mulching with organic matter enriches the soil, improves its structure, and therefore, nourishes the lawn. Therefore, to remove or leave mowed grass depends on weather conditions and the state of the lawn.
We fight with weeds on the lawn
Whether you like it or not, weeds will sooner or later appear on your lawn. Therefore, you have to deal with them anyway. However, before declaring war on weeds, it is necessary to figure out what type they are.
The lawn is "illegally" inhabited by two main types of weeds: monocots (wheatgrass, flathead) and dicotyledons (bindweed, mountaineer, plantain, dandelion, buttercup, etc.).
The lesser of two evils is dicotyledonous weeds. Dealing with them is relatively easy. They easily weed and are afraid of safe herbicides (which inhibit the growth of weeds, not poisoning the lawn grass). Such herbicides include drugs Dialen, Lintur, Golf.
In the fight against these weeds, there is one trick - to put in motion "heavy artillery" is possible only after feeding. In order for the herbicide to work, the weed must grow and "gain strength."
It should be borne in mind that even the use of even the safest herbicide is a great stress for the lawn. Therefore, after the weeds have died off, it is advisable to treat your grass carpet with Megafol, Epin or another anti-stress preparation.
The safest way to control weeds is weeding.
It is much more difficult to get rid of monocotyledonous weeds without damaging the lawn. Of course, the plot can be treated with a “vigorous” Roundup or other non-selective herbicide. But in this case, you will have to forget not only about the grass, but also about the lawn grass - you will have to lay rolled lawn or sow the grass again.
Sowing a new lawn is carried out no earlier than 3-4 weeks after the soil has been treated with herbicides. This time is necessary for the chemical to decompose completely and the plants to die off.
After the lawn is treated with continuous action herbicides, new sod will have to be laid.
Given all the above, if you want to keep your lawn, you will have to use only weeding.
Some of the compromise between the prospect of burning out all living things and allowing the weeds to “grab” the entire area of the lawn, may be the herbicide Puma Super or Puma Plus. True, it will be effective only for broadleaf weeds such as ploskuhi.
In no case do not carry out treatment with herbicides when the grass is unhealthy or is in a stressful state. During droughts, unexpected frosts or flooding of the turf, weeds cannot be etched. Again, before using herbicides, it is desirable to feed the lawn with nitrogen fertilizers. For example, a 0.2% solution of ammonium nitrate or carbamide.
Follow all these recommendations so that your lawn always looks well-groomed, thick, healthy. If you notice that the appearance of the grass surface has deteriorated noticeably, we advise you to consult our list of 5 most common lawn care mistakes.
Peculiarities of lawn care in winter
Here are a few basic rules for organizing lawn care in the winter with the onset of cold weather:
- In frosty or rainy weather, you should walk less on the grass; it is recommended to perform any work by stepping on boards or plywood, and not on plants.
- Snow from the tracks does not need to be cleared into the lawn.
- While the lawn will not be covered with a layer of snow of about 15 cm, try to minimize the load on it.
- The crust of ice that formed during the thaw on the snowy lawn needs to be broken up with a garden rake in order for the oxygen to reach the plants.
- Do not pour a skating rink on the lawn.
Remember, if you want fresh green grass in your plot every season, it is important to pay special attention to lawn care in winter.
Lawn care after winter
The largest amount of work on lawn care falls on the spring time, because after the winter the lawn needs not only care, it needs careful restoration. Thaws, snowfalls, frosts without snow have a very bad effect on the grass, and consequently, on the appearance of the lawn. It is sad to see the once luxurious lawn faded and sloppy. In this regard, the lawn needs more care after winter than at any other time of the year.
What are the steps involved in the lawn care process in the springtime?
In the spring, at the beginning of the season, every gardener needs to treat the lawn so that the grass on the lawn is strong, healthy and bright green. Spring lawn care includes the following activities:
- sand application and aeration
- repair of irregularities and bald spots,
- Edge processing
- top dressing
Scarification. Begin lawn care in the spring with the removal of rhizomatous perennial weeds (plantain, daisy, dandelion, etc.) and mechanical cleaning. Carefully undermine them and pull out, trying to completely remove the root from the soil. For cleaning on small lawns, it is convenient to use a fan-shaped metal rake. On large lawns, you can use special scarifier machines, with which lawns are cleaned or a scarifier attachment to the lawn mower.
Sand application and aeration. After the termination of the lawn scarification, perform aeration of the soil. We already wrote about how to conduct aeration above. At the final stage of lawn care in the spring, apply coarse sand to the lawn surface, which will provide better soil permeability.
Repair irregularities and bald spots. This is the next stage of lawn care in the spring. Bald spots are sagging or “bald” areas that occur in wetlands, as a result of intensive use of the lawn or when something was standing on it for a long time (for example, a swing or a children's slide). The bald spots should be sown with new grass, and on top filled with sheet humus mixture with sand or garden soil so that the main level of the lawn is equal to the worn area.
Edge processing. If your lawn is the correct shape, then fuzzy, smeared edges (borders) will nullify all your hard work in caring for a lawn in the spring. Therefore, take time to restore and level the edges of the lawn. Draw out straight lines of boundaries on the rope stretched between pegs hammered into the ground. Next, use a sharp spade to outline a clear edge. Formal lawns with wavy edges draw on the cord laid out in the desired shape.
Mulching. For mulching used a mixture of light garden soil with sand (2: 1). Lawn mulching changes the structure of heavy soils, promotes better nutrition of the grass root system, and also corrects irregularities on the lawn surface.
Top dressing. In the spring, the lawn should be fed as soon as new grass begins to grow. Fertilizers rich in nitrogen should be applied during this period. Nitrogen enhances the growth of grass, makes it thick and improves its color, making it more saturated.
Pay due attention to your lawn, take care of it, and it will delight you every season.
Watering the grass on the lawn
To keep the lawn fresh, you need it timely moisten. Watering is carried out in order to replenish the soil water reserves. But do not swamp the lawn with greenery. This is due to the fact that the lack of water is not as dangerous as excess. The amount of moisture that is needed for your lawn is determined by following parameters:
- Grass variety.
- The location of the lawn.
- Soil type
For example, less moisture is needed. park lawns. But thin lawns in the parterres and flower beds need more water. This is due to the fact that the park lawns in appearance and character of growth resemble an ordinary meadow.
But thin lawns consist of short-cut herbs and the soil is shaded weakly. And this is the cause of its strong draining. Lawns that grow on sandy soils are more easily affected by drought than on loamy and clayey soils. Because of this, they need to be watered more often.
The first sign of a lack of moisture is the loss of grass elasticity. If the soil is not moistened at this moment, then there is a likelihood of a gray-green shade on the lawn, and further browning and yellowing of the leaves.
There are no specific rules for soil moisture. But there are certain recommendations of specialists, to listen to which would not hurt:
- You can start watering only when the ground dries out well and the roots get enough air.
- About two times a week irrigation is carried out in dry weather. Under cool and moderate weather conditions, irrigation is carried out no more than once for 10 days.
- Moisten the soil with water should be about 20 centimeters deep. From this it follows that about 10 liters of water are needed per 1 square meter.
- In order to reduce the evaporation of moisture and increase the efficiency of soil moistening, it is necessary to water it early in the morning, before the heat comes, or in the evening - after it subsides.
Mowing grass that grows on the lawn is the next step in lawn care. Perhaps not much time has passed since the laying of the lawn and it is still loosely covered with a green mat. It is during this period that the first haircut is performed. This is due to the fact that if you miss the right moment, the young grass can fly from the rain and not rise at all or outgrow it.
With the timely conduct of such a procedure for the care of a green carpet, you can get a beautiful grass cover of maximum density.
Do not postpone the holding of the first haircut due to the fact that you are afraid to damage the young shoots. Easy rolling and treading grass during the work will allow it to bush even more, thereby creating a dense turf. Before you start cutting the lawn, make sure that the knives are sharp. Weak blades of grass can simply pull out of the ground, and not slant.
To obtain the effect of multicolored stripes on the lawn, lawn grass is removed by a mower with small rollers mounted on it. Such a view can be achieved due to the direction of easy laying of grass during the passage of the mower in different directions.
Each type of grass has its own hairstyle.. In the first years of life, parter grass is trimmed to 5 centimeters. Mowing this kind of grass is possible only when it reaches 8 centimeters, since its further growth may affect the uniformity of the coating. Do not allow the grass to be very high. After all, due to poor access of sunlight to the lower parts of leaves and stems, the color will become unattractive and pale.
Two times for the whole season mowing grass lawn. This frequency is connected with the fact that these herbs multiply by seeds and take time to ripen. The first shearing is carried out only when the seeds are fully ripe. After that, a few more days the grass should lie down on the site so that the seeds can dry out and crumble. The following haircuts are done when the leaves are about 12 centimeters high. Landscape varieties are trimmed when the leaves are more than 10 centimeters. During the summer, you will produce about 5 haircuts.
Weed removal and lawn feeding
Herbs on ornamental lawns can be fed with mineral fertilizers and humus. More effective is fertilizing with mineral fertilizers, but with it you need to follow the instructions. It is best to use complex specialized fertilizers, which include several types of trace elements and nutrients. They are easily digested and are in a balanced ratio. This allows you to quickly see the desired result and simplifies the care of herbs.
Today the market is represented Three main types of complex mixtures:
- Apply in the spring and summer periods. They are low in phosphorus and high in nitrogen. This contributes to faster growth of herbs.
- Apply in the autumn period. Phosphorus prevails in them, and the amount of nitrogen is reduced. Designed for the preparation of lawn grass for wintering.
- "Lawn sand." It includes iron sulphate, urea and river sand. It has a double action: it inhibits the growth of weeds and feeds the lawn. Usually this type of fertilizer is applied in late autumn. In summer, it is used only to remove weeds.
Lawn grass should be fed in dry weather, and after that you need to water the lawn well.
If you take care of your lawn in the spring, then in the summer you will spend a minimum of expenses on care.
All you need to do in the summer is to cut, water, trim the edges and feed your green natural carpet.
Regular watering, which is carried out after each haircut, is a prerequisite for care in the summer. In hot and dry weather, the number of irrigations increases. The lawn needs to be watered 3 or 4 times a week in the evening. So you reduce the loss of moisture and evaporation. The direct rays of the sun can burn shoots through dew drops. Dew in this case acts as a lens. In the hot summer months, the lawn can burn out, and the shoots dry up and wither. In this situation, watering is plentiful, but the formation of puddles should not be allowed.
Top dressing in the summer is very important. And all due to the fact that with regular haircuts, the supply of nutrients from plants is depleted. Special nitrogen-containing agents or liquid organic are used for fertilizers.
Autumn care includes the following stages:
- Top dressing with fertilizers.
- Repair of damaged areas.
- Removal from the lawn of fallen leaves.
- Aeration of areas where due to prolonged rains stagnation of water was observed.
Repairing a lawn involves sowing lawn grass in thinned or burnt areas. It is picked as accurately as in the spring.
Чтобы перед зимой корневая система окрепла, необходимо вносить минеральные фосфорно-калийные удобрения, которые предназначены специально для газонов. Для обеспечения нормальной зимовки основным элементом является фосфор. Именно он повысит сопротивляемость насаждений к негативным воздействиям окружающей среды и укрепит корневую систему. Lawn fertilizers that are used in the autumn, should not contain nitrogen. This is due to the fact that it activates the growth of young shoots, which will easily undergo the very first frosts.
It is recommended to carry out a piercing of a lawn in dry weather in the autumn. This will contribute to the penetration of moisture into the soil during a period of heavy rainfall and will prevent the lawn from getting wet.
The last shearing of lawn grass is carried out at the end of October before the winter period. During the last shearing, the height of the lawn grass should be at least 5 centimeters.