Sweet potatoes, or sweet potatoes ((Ipomoéa batátas) - an ancient vegetable culture from the Vilyukovka family, whose history is estimated at 10,000 years. This vegetable has been popular for centuries. His homeland is Central America (modern territories of Peru and Colombia).
Photo: Depositphotos.com. Author: HandmadePicture.
Sweet, with an appetizing aroma and very healthy yam deserves the most careful consideration. Different varieties differ in taste, texture, color and shape. Tubers of a sweet potato with bright orange pulp are especially widespread.
It is an excellent source of calcium, potassium, beta-carotene and folic acid.
Sweet potatoes have a low calorie content and a high concentration of ascorbic acid: up to 65% of the daily intake of vitamin C per serving.
Nutritionists consider sweet potatoes to be perhaps the best vegetable source of beta-carotene (which turns into vitamin A in the body).
Vitamins A and C are strong antioxidants that prevent cell damage and many dangerous diseases.
What is useful
- For young radiant skin. Beta-carotene has anti-aging properties. He fights free radicals guilty of wrinkles. In addition, the sweet potato helps in the production of collagen, which is responsible for the elasticity of the skin.
- For diabetics. Sweet Potato is a low glycemic index product. This means that it does not cause a rise in blood sugar levels that are dangerous for diabetics. Yam carotenoids increase insulin sensitivity.
- Cleans the blood from cholesterol. Consumption of vegetables with a high amount of fiber favors cholesterol lowering. Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin B6, which reduces the amount of homocysteine in the blood. After all, homocysteine is responsible for the development of degenerative diseases of the cardiovascular system. Root crop effectively reduces pressure, regulates water balance, makes the walls of arteries flexible, improves blood flow.
- Anti-inflammatory properties. Studies show that yam reduces inflammation of the brain and nerve tissue. This is due to anti-inflammatory substances such as manganese, beta-carotene, vitamin C and vitamin B6.
- Affects blood clotting. “Potato” phytonutrients have a strong effect on fibrinogen, a key glycoprotein involved in the blood coagulation process. This is a vital good property of yam for the speedy healing of wounds and the prevention of excessive blood loss in the event of injury.
- Instead of antidepressants. Stress contributes to potassium loss. Sweet potatoes are a good source of potassium and a natural antidepressant. If you feel tired, anxious, irritable, eat some sweet potato puree. Also relieves muscle spasms caused by potassium deficiency.
- Prevention of rheumatoid arthritis. Due to the high content of beta cryptoxanthin, sweet potato can and should be used in therapeutic and prophylactic nutrition for chronic inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.
- Treatment of gastric ulcers. Sweet potatoes have a variety of nutrients that help in the treatment of digestive diseases: calcium, B vitamins, vitamin C, beta-carotene and potassium. They soothe the inflammation and pain during an ulcer or gastritis. The product is rich in fiber, absorbing excess acid and preventing constipation.
- For the benefit of smokers. Cigarette smoke creates vitamin A deficiency in the body, which is the main cause of emphysema. Regular consumption of yams can protect smokers and those who live with them from this dangerous disease.
- For bodybuilders. People who are seriously engaged in building muscle mass, often include sweet potatoes in their diet. The product consists of complex carbohydrates that feed the muscles. To improve performance, it is recommended to eat some sweet potatoes 90 minutes before your workout. According to the International Journal of Sports Nutrition in 2006, this wonderful root vegetable really relieves pain and muscle spasms of bodybuilders.
Mashed potatoes from boiled sweet potatoes with olive oil can be cooked in just 8 minutes. Beta-carotene-rich side dish will be useful for both adults and children.
Unpeeled sweet potatoes are baked in foil at 400 degrees until softened, or thin slices are fried in a shallow saucepan with 1 tbsp. l olive oil.
The composition of sweet potatoes
There are many varieties of sweet potatoes. They differ in color of the peel and pulp, form, chemical composition. However, each tuber has:
- fiber (dietary fiber),
- organic acids
- monosaccharides (glucose),
- antioxidants - beta-carotene, anthocyanins, quercetin (vitamin P),
- trace elements (iron, magnesium, selenium, zinc, calcium, honey, potassium, copper, manganese, phosphorus).
The content of vitamins sweet potato several times higher than ordinary potatoes. 100 grams of pulp contains:
- 0, 3 ml of beta-carotene,
- 0.15 ml of thiamine (B1),
- 0.05 ml of riboflavin (B2)
- 23 ml of ascorbic acid (C)
- 0.6 ml of nicotinic acid (PP).
In addition, the “vitamin kit” includes vitamins A (retinol), B4 (choline), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), E, K.
Despite the rather large amount of sugars, sweet potatoes belong to low-calorie foods. The nutritional value of 100 grams of pulp is 59-61 kcal. 100 g of sweet potatoes contain 2 g of proteins, 14.6 g of carbohydrates, 0.01 g of fats..
Useful properties for the body
High saturation with healthy substances makes sweet potatoes not only a tasty product, but also allows its use in therapeutic, dietary and sports nutrition:
- Vitamin A helps people who are actively involved in sports or hard physical labor, recuperate. Sports nutrition, containing sweet potatoes, contributes to the rapid build-up of muscle mass.
- Due to the high content of retinol, the yam is recommended to be eaten by a heavy smoker, as the prevention of pulmonary emphysema, caused by a lack of vitamin A in the body.
- Retinol and Vitamin E increase skin elasticity and prevent the early appearance of wrinkles, contributing to the production of halogen, and a high content of fiber allows you to quickly reach a state of satiety and promotes fat absorption, which is very useful for weight loss.
- Beta-carotene improves eyesight.
- Because of the low glycemic index and the high content of carotenoids that increase insulin susceptibility, sweet potato dishes are included in the diet of people with diabetes.
- It is recommended to introduce in the menu dishes of sweet potatoes and people with gastritis, duodenal ulcer, stomach. Vegetable helps to strengthen the gastric mucosa, improves the condition of constipation.
- Some elements contained in sweet potatoes (especially vitamin B6) strengthen the walls of blood vessels, prevent the formation of cholesterol plaques, regulate pressure and water balance, which makes it extremely useful in cardiovascular diseases.
- Antioxidants and vitamin C contribute to the prevention of cancer.
- Potassium helps to cope with the effects of stressful situations, chronic insomnia and fatigue, neurosis, depression, relieves muscle spasms caused by its deficiency. Choline improves memory.
- Possessing an anti-inflammatory effect, sweet potato relieves the condition during inflammation of the brain and nerve tissue. It increases blood clotting, preventing large blood loss in injuries, abdominal operations and speeding up wound healing.
Although a sweet potato has many useful properties, it can, if it does not follow the rules of healthy eating, cause serious harm to the human body:
- A large number of acids contained in the sweet potato, can worsen the condition during the acute form of duodenal ulcer and stomach, ulcerative colitis, gastritis, diverticulosis.
- Oxalate substances contained in yam contribute to the formation of sand and kidney stones, gall bladder.
- For people with renal insufficiency, “overdose” of yam is dangerous, it can provoke an overabundance of potassium in the blood.
- Too much of the sweet potato in the diet can lead to the development of vitamin A hypervitaminosis and provoke liver disease.
- Batata is an exotic product and the body can react to it with an allergic reaction, which is manifested by skin rashes, itching, difficulty breathing - especially careful should be tasting sweet potato dishes for people who are allergic to plants of the dioscoreania family.
- The saturation of the active substances makes the sweet potato a rather dangerous product for pregnant and lactating women, presumably the consumption of sweet potatoes can provoke a miscarriage, leading to the occurrence of congenital anomalies and abnormalities in the infant.
So far, no information has been published on the interaction of the yam with medicines. Although it is clear that people taking hormone replacement, anti-inflammatory, anti-cholesterol drugs, beta-blockers need to be careful.
How to choose when buying?
There are many varieties and varieties of sweet potatoes, especially which should be considered when buying. Batat is divided into three main groups:
- afthaving white or yellowish pulp, with thin skin, dishes from it are dryish, savory, taste similar to ordinary potatoes,
- vegetable - dark varieties of sweet potatoes with thick skin and rich orange, pink, yellow flesh, suitable for roasting, boiling, stewing, rarely used in fried form,
- dessert - purple, purple, red varieties with a varied taste of yellow or orange flesh (melon, banana, pumpkin, chestnut, walnut, melon, carrot, pineapple).
Choosing a sweet potato should pay attention to the condition of the skin. It should be dense, smooth without scratches, wrinkles, stains. For use in cooking it is better to choose not very large hard root crops without damage.
How to cook and eat?
Universal sweet potato root - it is boiled, baked, fried, eaten raw. In Asia, the popular salad varieties with edible leaves. A coffee substitute is made from the dried seeds, and a tea substitute is made from the leaves. Koreans even manage to cut the sweet potato roots into vegetable noodles.
In China, a hot soup with sweet potatoes is traditionally included in the winter menu. Americans bake sweet potatoes on the grill, add to salads, deep-fried. From the dessert varieties, jam and jam are made, various desserts are prepared. Dried roots are ground into flour, which is used for baking.
The easiest way to eat yam raw, for this it is simply washed well under running water. It is possible and not to scrape off the skin - it contains many useful trace elements.
You can make salad from sweet potato leaves. Leaves are pre-soaked so that bitterness comes out of them, then they are boiled or cut raw. The leaves of the sweet potato are well combined with tomatoes, onions, ginger, mango, pineapple, spinach and other vegetables and fruits. As a dressing, sugar-vinegar mixture, Dijon mustard, olive oil, balsamic and wine vinegar are commonly used.
Boiled roots are also suitable for salads, and fodder and vegetable varieties successfully replace ordinary potatoes in any traditional recipe, giving a well-known dish an unusual flavor.
Cooking yam is simple:
- Peel the skin, cut the large roots into pieces, small boil whole.
- Put the roots in the pot, pour cold water, so that it completely covers them, salt.
- Cook under a closed lid on medium heat for 20-30 minutes until soft.
Boiled sweet potatoes are mashed, diluted with milk and adding a variety of ingredients - bananas, berries, pumpkin, spices (cinnamon, curry), nuts, raisins, honey, vegetable or butter.
The technology of cooking sweet potato is almost the same as cooking dishes from potatoes and pumpkins, only additives of salt and sugar are required significantly less.
Every year exotic yams are becoming more and more popular in Russia. It has already been successfully grown not only by gardeners as a curiosity, but also by farmers for deliveries to retail chains. A versatile vegetable in its preparation, saturated with useful substances, when used sensibly, can diversify the menu, help in the treatment of diseases and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- Sweet potato
- Latin name: Ipomoea batatas,
- race: Ipomoea (Ipomoea),
- family: Convolvulaceae (Convolvulaceae) $
- other names: sweet potato.
Sweet potato- perennial (annual in culture) vegetable plant belonging to the genus ipomoea and family convolvulaceae. Externally, it is a grassy vine.
Stems - creeping, rooted in knots, reach five meters in length and resemble whips. The height of the bush ranges from 15 to 18 cm.
Leaves have a heart-shaped or palmate-lobed shape and long petioles.
Flowersmounted in the axils of the leaves and are characterized by a large funnel-shaped corolla of a pale lilac, pink or white color. Many varieties bloom absent.
Fetusrepresented by a box with four seeds of black or brown color, the diameter of which is 3.5–4.5 mm.
Tubers formed as a result of thickening of the lateral roots. Edible pulp in different varieties has a characteristic shade and may have a white, cream, yellow, pink, orange, red or purple color. The color of the peel in diverse representatives is also specific and the most diverse.
Similarly, the shape of the tubers may be different depending on the variety - oblong, round, ribbed, spindle. Vegetable is characterized by a smooth surface without eyes and rather large sizes (the weight of one specimen is 200 g - 3 kg, there are also more massive tubers).
Representatives of most varieties have a sweetish taste. This is due to the presence of components such as sucrose, glucose and fructose in this product. However, there are varieties with fresh tubers.
Sweet varieties taste like melon, banana or pumpkin. Unsweetened varieties, as a result of cooking, acquire the tender, sweetish taste of frost-bitten potatoes. Apparently, this was the reason to give the vegetable a second name.
Diverse tubers and in their texture. They can be soft or hard, juicy or dry. On a cut of a tuber or a stalk, as a rule, milky juice is allocated.
Sweet potato - thermophilic culture, widespread in tropical and subtropical latitudes, at least - in warm areas of temperate climate. In a special way the plant is cultivated in countries such as China, India, Indonesia. Homeland same sweet potato, according to scientists, are Colombia and Peru.
Sweet potato considered one of the most useful vegetables. The plant is grown mainly for the purpose of producing sweet starchy tubers. The sugar content in the vegetable is 6%, starch - up to 30%.
In addition, the product includes proteins, carbohydrates, organic acids, dietary fiber, water, ash. Tubers sweet potatoes contain some vitamins, minerals, amino acids and other useful substances necessary for life. For more information about the composition in the table:
Table. Chemical composition of yam
Depending on the variety and growing conditions, different representatives of the species may have certain features in the chemical composition.
So, for yellow and orange varieties characterized by a high content of beta-carotene, which allows them to compare with carrots. Purple varieties are composed of so-called anthocyanins - substances with antioxidant properties.
It should be noted that in tubers sweet potatoes contains much more carbohydrates, iron, potassium and calcium than ordinary potatoes. In addition, a tropical vegetable has a more tender flesh and is easier absorbed by the body.
Sweet potato It is one of those plant products that, when used regularly, have a pronounced health and healing effect on the human body, with the result that the following positive effects are observed:
- Improving the work of the heart and blood vessels. This is due to the presence in the plant of vitamins C and B6, which helps to strengthen the vascular walls and normalize blood flow. Therefore, the vegetable must be included in the diet of patients with pathologies of the cardiovascular system and high blood pressure.
- Reduction of inflammatory processes. This effect is due to the content in the product of vitamins C, B6, beta-carotene and manganese.
- Lower cholesterol.This effect contributes to the large amount of dietary fiber contained in the vegetable.
- Treatment and prevention of arthritis.This positive effect occurs due to the presence of a substance such as beta cryptoxanthin in the plant.
- Normalization of digestive processes.The therapeutic effect is explained by the high content of B vitamins, ascorbic acid, beta-carotene and potassium in the product. A large amount of fiber has a beneficial effect in case of increased secretion and helps in combating constipation.
- Protection of the nervous system.Витамины В-группы, а также калий и магний, входящие в состав овоща, выполняют защитную функцию, способствуя сохранению нервных клеток и профилактике неблагоприятных последствий при стрессовых ситуациях.
- Prevention of cancer.This property of the plant is due to the high content of vitamin C, the amount of which in sweet potato much more than many vegetables.
- Prevention of eye diseases. It is explained by the presence of vitamin A, the mass fraction of which in sweet potato makes up 33.3% of the daily norm.
- Strengthening immunity. Achieved thanks to the rich vitamin-mineral complex, characteristic of this product.
- Safety for diabetic patients.The product is characterized by a low glycemic index, which allows you to include a vegetable in the diet of people suffering from diabetes.
- Weight loss. The effect is due to the presence in the vegetable of a significant amount of plant fiber, which contributes to rapid and complete saturation.
- Preservation of youthAnti-aging effect is due to beta-carotene, which is part of the product.
- Help in building muscle. It is carried out under the influence of complex carbohydrates in the plant, which are necessary for the nutrition of muscles.
Harm and contraindications
In some cases sweet potato, like any vegetable product, can harm the health and aggravate the patient's condition. It should be borne in mind that the vegetable contains oxalatesthat contribute to the formation of kidney stones and gallbladder. In addition, the use of sweet potato It is necessary to limit or eliminate it altogether if there are such health problems:
- peptic ulcer and duodenal ulcer in the acute stage,
- ulcerative colitis,
- diverticulosis and intestinal diverticulitis,
- individual intolerance of this plant.
Sweet potato It is not recommended to include in the diet of women during pregnancy and lactation.
Guided by such distinctive features as the character of taste and color of the pulp, the whole variety of varieties can be divided into 3 main types:
- Stern.Representatives are characterized by a watery taste and white flesh.
- Vegetable. Tubers have a sweet taste and yellowish flesh.
- Dessert.Vegetables have a sweet rich flavor, red or pink flesh.
Sweet potato can be used both in raw and thermally processed form. In the process of cooking the edible part is boiled, fried, baked, steamed.
Vegetable is widely used in the production of food such as cereal, souffle, jam, candy, chips. Of tubers sweet potato make high-quality flour, alcohol, sugar, molasses.
Young leaves and stems are boiled, soaked to remove bitterness and added to salads. Seeds can be used as a coffee substitute. The green parts of the plant are used as soil fertilizers and livestock feed.
Batata in traditional medicine and on the table
This medicinal plant is not yet used by domestic pharmacology, but it is widely used in traditional medicine, and is also a component of therapeutic and dietary nutrition.
Effective drug is the sweet potato starch, which has enveloping and softening properties. These qualities of this product are used in the treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
The healing effect on the digestive system and the body as a whole has the juicederived from plant tubers. It can be used as a tonic in infectious diseases, vitamin deficiency.
The healing effect is also observed with regular use of vegetables in the composition of various dishes. The following recipes will help you prepare a tasty and healthy medicine:
Sweet Potato Soup
Heat the oven well (up to 200 degrees). Sweet potato (500 g) peeled and cut into cubes. Bulbs (2 pieces) cut into quarters, then place with slices sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
Salt vegetables, add olive oil, add ground thyme (1 teaspoon) and a pinch of cumin. Transfer the mixture to a baking sheet with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Chop ready vegetables with a blender, after adding the broth. The resulting soup is mashed with a low-fat sour cream and serve hot.
Sweet Potato Sauce
Crude sweet potato (1 kg) immersed in boiling salted water and cook until half cooked for 15 minutes. In a separate container, mix orange juice (200 ml), brown sugar (1/2 cup), grated ginger (1 teaspoon) and cinnamon (1 teaspoon). Fill the mixture with butter (25 g) and salt to taste.
Sweet potato cut into large circles, put on a baking sheet, pour plenty of cooked sauce and place in a preheated (up to 180 degrees) oven for 40-50 minutes. Serve hot.
Sweet potato (1 pc.) Cut in half and bake in a preheated (up to 200 degrees) oven for 45 minutes. During this time, prepare the filling: cut the spinach (1 bunch), finely chop the chilli pepper (1 pc.), Mix everything, pour with olive oil (1 tsp) and salt. Fill the vegetable with the filling and continue to bake for another 7 minutes. Decorate the finished dish with onion rings (1 pc.)
Sweet potato - This is a valuable dietary product with a mass of beneficial properties. For those who care about their health and try to eat right, sweet potato It can be the necessary ingredient that not only diversifies the daily diet, but also serves as a remedy for many, many ailments.
In central Russia, the wider distribution of yams is hampered by its rather long growing season at an optimum growth temperature of +25. +30 degrees. But thanks to the warming of the climate and the development of agricultural technology, it is gradually moving to the north of our country.
Many are confused by the second name of this root crop - “sweet potato”. Often you can hear from people: "We know the taste of frozen potatoes - we don’t need this." But after all, the raw tubers of vegetable varieties of this plant are similar in texture and taste to sweet chestnuts or carrots with white or yellow flesh. Boiled sweet potato tubers already taste like sweet potatoes or pumpkins. But the dessert varieties are similar in taste to bananas or melon, the main thing is that it is warm, then the sweet potato picks up all its sweetness.
Tubers of sweet potatoes can be eaten raw, fried, boiled or baked. At the same time, such a plant is prepared twice as fast as its “fellow” potato. Thanks to its heart-shaped glossy leaves and soft lilac flowers, this sweet potato can decorate any vegetable garden. Once you plant this plant on your plot, you will understand what superiority should be given to: ordinary potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Growing on the plot
For the cultivation of sweet potatoes you need only ordinary garden tools and materials. However, it is important to understand that it is not grown from seed. Sweet potatoes grow from a tuber. For this reason, if you want to grow this plant in your own garden beds, then you need to purchase several tubers of this plant.
6 weeks before planting in the garden, you must put the tuber in a container with sawdust, wet sand or fallen leaves.
Maintain a temperature of around 27 degrees Celsius. After the shoots reach 15 centimeters in height, you can cut and prepare them for planting.
Do not cut off the lower part of the stem at the very base, since harmful microorganisms accumulate there. Then find the place where you plant the sweet potato. Keep in mind that he loves the warm weather and does not tolerate cold. This means that the normal temperature in order to grow such a plant is 24 degrees Celsius and above. Best of all, yam grows where there are no low temperatures and frost, for example, in tropical countries. In addition, sweet potatoes like sandy soil.
Once you find a suitable place for growing tubers, you should prepare the soil. You can plant them on a flat base or on a small hill. Clear the area for growing sweet potatoes throughout the dry season. If there are plants presenting nutrients to the soil, this is good. You can also decompose, for example, the foliage and leave it to rot about a month before planting.
After start plowing the ground to soften it. When planting, place the shoots at a distance of 30 centimeters from each other and drip them, leaving 3-5 cm on the surface of the plant, that is, only the upper leaves should remain on the surface.
Care of seedlings
You should not water sweet potatoes often. Once a week is enough. Last time you water a grown yam about 2 weeks before harvesting. This prevents rotting of the roots.
Freshly planted sweet potatoes need minimal care. He does not need a lot of fertilizer. Only when planting surround the seedlings of black mulch. This helps to retain moisture in the soil for plant nutrition. In addition, black mulch helps to absorb heat from the sun.
There is no season for growing sweet potatoes. It grows throughout the year, especially if the climate is dry and warm. In 4-5 months you will be harvesting a tasty yam.
It is easy to determine the best time to harvest using the leaves of this plant, because they begin to turn yellow. After you have harvested the crop, leave it in the sun for a few hours to dry. You will be able to keep sweet potatoes warm from 10 to 14 days. When it is completely dry, store it in a place with a temperature of less than 15 degrees Celsius and 80% humidity.
- Due to the massiveness of the tops, there is no need to use herbicides and constant weeding.
- Do not use insecticides, because the sweet potato beetle does not touch the Colorado potato beetle.
- Tubers can be stored even in room conditions.
- The sweet potato is very good: in a warm year and with good care from one plant it was possible to get up to 4.5-5 kg. At the same time, the weight of individual tubers reaches 1 kg or more.
The benefits of sweet potato potatoes
This product has a number of truly unique useful properties:
- Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamins.. Vitamin B6 found in sweet potatoes helps to reduce the chemical properties of homocysteine, which in turn may be useful for patients with degenerative diseases such as cancer and osteoporosis.
- Studies have shown that anticarcinogenic properties in this plant have a positive effect on women with menopause, who have the risk of getting breast cancer
- Vitamin C helps fight flu viruses, colds and protects the body from harmful toxins.
- Various vitamins stimulate collagen productionand that helps maintain skin elasticity.
- Batat contains a sufficient amount vitamin din order to boost the immune system.
- If you need iron To increase energy levels, add sweet potatoes to your diet.
- Magnesium - It is a mineral that fights stress.
- Like other important electrolytes, it is known that potassium stops muscle cramps, improves kidney health and reduces swelling.
- Natural sugar in tubers, it is usually slowly released into the bloodstream, so the person’s energy level is better regulated and fatigue is prevented.
- Cooked Sweet Potatoes Contains beta carotene and carotenoids. They are good at helping eyes.
- The calorie content of such a plant is 1.5 times the potato.
- The carbohydrates and proteins contained in the sweet potato are absorbed better than those of ordinary potatoes.
- Root crops contain up to 3-6% glucose, 30% starch, mineral salts, carotene, iron.
- Sweet potato is useful for people with gastrointestinal diseases.
- The beta carotene contained in tubers has rejuvenating properties, it destroys free radicals that promote the appearance of wrinkles. It also has a positive effect on the production of collagen, which increases skin elasticity. People who want to preserve youth and beauty of the skin for many years should definitely include this plant in their diet.
- Undoubtedly, this product will be extremely useful for people suffering from diabetes, because it has a very low glycemic index and, therefore, does not increase blood sugar levels, and the carotenoids contained in potatoes, increase insulin sensitivity. The use of potato yams will significantly reduce the cholesterol in the blood, due to the fiber contained in it.
- This product is also an inexhaustible source of vitamin B6, which reduces the risk of developing degenerative cardiovascular diseases, improves the condition of the walls of arteries and blood vessels.
- This plant will also help people suffering from diseases of the digestive tract, since fiber reduces the level of excess acids, and calcium, potassium and a large set of vitamins relieve inflammation and pain during ulcers and gastritis.
- Based on the latest international studies, we can safely say that the sweet potato relieves inflammation in the brain and nerve fibers, as well as in chronic diseases such as rheumatism and arthritis.
- The consumption of this potato has an effect on fibrinogen - a substance necessary for the normal process of blood coagulation, which speeds up the healing of injuries and also reduces the risk of large blood loss in case of injuries. However, for people with increased blood clotting, it can cause harm and therefore care should be taken when using sweet potatoes and not to abuse them.
- It is proved that the use of potatoes reduces the harm from smoking. Since sweet potatoes compensate for vitamin A deficiency and, consequently, the risk of developing emphysema of the lungs in both the smoker himself and his environment is significantly reduced.
It will also be useful for athletes seeking to gain muscle mass, because such a potato consists of complex carbohydrates, which are the “building material” for muscles. Studies have shown that drinking yams for an hour and a half before strength training significantly increases its effectiveness. As well as international research groups claim that this product reduces spasms and pain in overworked muscles.
Oddly enough, the yam will help even with prolonged stress. The fact is that under stress, the human body loses potassium in large quantities, and this plant is an excellent source of natural potassium. So with chronic fatigue and irritability, you can use sweet potatoes!
Taste qualities of sweet potatoes can, quite strongly, vary depending on the growing conditions (soil, temperature, humidity, country of growth, etc.) and on the varieties, which number more than a dozen. According to taste, sweet potatoes can be divided into three groups: Dessert (sweet and juicy, fruit-like melon or banana), fodder (less sweet and dry) and vegetable (slightly sweetish varieties). But still, some people have a sweet potato like a taste of slightly frozen fried or boiled potatoes.
Options for the use of yams is actually a huge amount.
Tubers, stems, leaves and even sweet potato seeds are good for food. It is used to prepare a variety of side dishes and salads, toppings of various kinds stuffed with peppers and cabbage rolls. You can use the sweet potato raw, as well as fry, boil or bake.
In Asian countries, it is used as a seasoning for the first and second courses. From the dried leaves and stalks of sweet potato, aromatic tea is brewed, and young shoots are added to salads. From the seeds of sweet potatoes make an analogue of coffee. So the use of this product in the culinary art is limited only by your imagination and imagination.
Let us give an example of the simplest dish of sweet potato tubers that can be cooked in less than ten minutes:
Cut unpeeled tubers into thin slices and fry until it is softened with one tablespoon of olive or sunflower oil, and then knead in a shallow saucepan to a puree and healthy, preserved almost all vitamins side dish is ready.
You can bake small tubers whole, wrapped in foil, at a temperature of four hundred degrees.
So just you can diversify your diet. Just do not forget to familiarize yourself with the contraindications in advance, so that the new dishes in your menu do not cause you any harm, but bring only good and pleasant emotions.
What is yam and what does it taste like
First of all, we note that the sweet potato, although it resembles a real potato, is by no means its counterpart. Yes, if you compare their tubers, they are very similar. But this is where the similarity of the two plants ends, because the sweet potato belongs to a completely different family.
The difference between them is fundamental: the potato, as everyone knows, belongs to the nightshade, but the yam - to convolvulaceae. Yes, yes, that same bindweed-ipomoea, which our grandmothers so loved to this day and love to decorate with fences, is the most direct relative of the sweet potato.
Even his flowers look the same, although it should be noted that the sweet potato blooms in our strip extremely rarely. And the seeds cannot be obtained this way, they simply do not have time to ripen.
However, do not be upset - multiplying the yam is incredibly easy. One tuber can give life to 20-30 plants or more! Размер клубней сильно зависит от условий выращивания. В странах с тёплым климатом их размер может достигать 35-40 см, а вес быть около 10 кг.
In Russia, the value of a tuber rarely reaches 20 cm, and its weight is 3 kg, but this does not stop sweet potato lovers, growing technologies are improving, varieties are adapting and it may very well be that sweet potatoes will grow everywhere, there would be a desire and a suitable piece of land.
The main problem is frost resistance, which is not at all the same as that of the northern relative. When + 10C yam is already beginning to suffer from the cold. Moreover, the underground part is much more sensitive to lowering the temperature than the aboveground part. This is the main obstacle to growing such a wonderful plant in countries with cold climates.
However, breeders are working diligently in this direction and now they have obtained varieties that grow beautifully, develop and give a good harvest in more or less warm regions of our country.
Note: this vegetable does not need to be treated with various poisons. The scourge of the potato - the Colorado potato beetle - bypasses it, and it is quite possible to cope with pests such as wireworms with the help of proper agricultural technology and organic farming.
Sometimes sweet potato is confused with another exotic plant that has recently appeared on our beds. It's about topinambur. But these are completely different plants, although both of them use the underground part in both. Jerusalem artichoke, which for some reason is sometimes called an earthen pear, has nothing to do with sweet potatoes.
The sweet potato is not only useful, but also tasty, and besides - very decorative. It is often used as an ampelous plant. The color of the foliage can be either bright green or maroon-brown. The photo clearly shows that planting yam with leaves of contrasting colors can create a very impressive flower bed.
Due to its unpretentiousness and abundant leaf mass, he copes with the task of decorating borders and low hedges, especially in urban environments. Moreover, where yams grow, there is no room for weeds, so thick and dense it has greens.
But of particular value for humans, and especially for their health, are the thickened roots of this plant, in which nutrients are stored. Often they are called root vegetables, but this is not entirely true. The root crop is always the main root, and it is always the same.
A typical example: carrots, beets, radishes. But the overgrown adventitious roots of a rounded shape, having one or more dormant buds, which are subsequently able to develop into a full-fledged plant, and there are tubers, more precisely, root tubers. That is what they eat.
Tubers can be boiled, baked or eat sweet potato. Sweet potato leaves can also be eaten, gourmets say that they taste like spinach. Greens and tubers willingly eat livestock.
Moreover, there are special fodder varieties that increase milk yield in cows, and in pigs when adding sweet potatoes to the diet, the live weight grows faster. Batas are very fond of goats and rabbits. In terms of their nutritional qualities, silage from the above-ground part is in no way inferior to silage harvested from alfalfa or clover.
Who is it useful for?
What are its beneficial properties? Why is he so good? First of all, the fact that it contains a lot of nutrients. It is noteworthy that in different varieties of this plant contains a different complex of vitamins and trace elements. Below we will look at these differences, but for now let us return to the general beneficial properties of the sweet potato and find out in which cases it is especially useful, what kind of therapeutic effect from it is possible.
Despite the fact that this vegetable has a sweetish taste and contains starch, it can be safely eaten by those people who have type 2 diabetes and high insulin. A low glycemic index (only 55, while in potatoes this figure ranges from 65 to 95), it indicates that carbohydrates are slowly absorbed, which ensures that there are no blood sugar jumps.
A large amount of fiber slows down the process of glucose uptake, which, in turn, makes it possible to control the process. The composition of sweet potatoes include natural sweeteners, which are not converted into simple sugars in the digestion process, and thus do not affect the level of sugar.
To control your own weight
Yam is less calorie than potatoes, it is easier and faster to digest, so it’s easier for them to get enough, which is very important for a balanced diet. Also useful are various dishes from this vegetable while losing weight.
It is interesting: carbohydrates, calcium and iron in yams are almost twice as much as in potatoes, and there is more potassium than in bananas.
To improve the cardiovascular system
It lowers cholesterol levels, which, in turn, helps vessels to clear, and the presence of vitamin C, calcium, magnesium and iron make the walls of blood vessels strong and elastic. A wonderful vegetable will also help with anemia, since those who regularly use sweet potatoes for food, the blood flow is normalized and the level of red blood cells rises in the blood.
To enhance immunity
Roots are high levels of various antioxidants, especially a lot of beta-carotene, which improves immunity and is an excellent prevention from various diseases, including cancer, because the body actively produces lymphocytes, includes the protective properties of the body, which also allows you to neutralize many pathogenic bacteria and viruses.
With female illnesses
Many doctors recommend using the tubers of this plant for women during menopause, as they contain completely natural female hormones, such as progesterone. Regular consumption of root vegetables often even allows you to give up the pills, helps to even out the balance of hormonal background for women in any period of life. Due to the fact that the tubers contain phytoestrogen, increases libido, interest in the opposite sex.
What happens yam
Amazingly diverse culture! Tubers - all colors of the rainbow, and all the color is due exclusively to the natural components of plant origin.
Depending on the taste, sweet potatoes can be:
The most delicious, of course, dessert. It combines tastes of melon and pumpkin, there is a slight nutty tinge, and at the same time - a distinct hint of banana. Some find that sweet potatoes are similar in taste to roasted chestnuts. Much depends on the particular variety, on the conditions in which the plant has grown, but mostly the flesh of such root vegetables is very tender and juicy, and in color it resembles carrots or orange pumpkin.
In addition, a variety of sweet potatoes with tubers with a rich yellow color can be attributed to dessert varieties. Often not only the skin is colored, but also the pulp of the roots. Growing these varieties most troublesome. They are sissies, love heat and sun. However, anyone who has ever tried and imbued with the unforgettable taste of sweet yam, spares no effort to grow it.
In second place in terms of taste go vegetable varieties. They are not so tender, less juicy, but quite tasty. Their color is cream and white, as well as all the gradations from pink to violet-purple. After cooking or any other heat treatment they become juicier, but they are far from dessert varieties. But they make excellent side dishes for meat dishes, in addition, sweet potatoes of this group can act as an independent dish, for example, in the form of a casserole.
For frying due to strong wateriness, they are not very suitable. Less whimsical in cultivation than dessert varieties, they successfully grow and give good yields in regions with a relatively mild climate.
And finally feed varieties have less glucose, so almost not sweet. They are less tasty, not so juicy, but they can also diversify the table and benefit the body. It is these tubers in boiled and fried form that faintly resemble potatoes. Completely settled down on the backyards in the south and in certain areas of central Russia.
It should be noted that in view of the great variability, this division is conditional. Too much depends on where the vegetable grew, what kind of care it was for, how warm the summer was, and so on. However, the general trend from grade to grade is visible, and if desired, with a high degree of guarantee, you can choose a variety with the desired qualities.
What does korneklubnya color say?
Different varieties have different colors. Tubers can be bright orange, yellow, cream, white, pink and even purple. Such a rich palette is due to the presence of various substances that give the yam a particular color or shade. Moreover, the same variety in different conditions, growing in different climatic zones, being in a soil that is different in composition and acidity, can be, for example, from intense purple light pinkish or vice versa, instead of a purple vegetable it will grow slightly purple . Coloring can vary from intense to the most gentle tones. Color can change as the surface of the tuber and pulp.
So at the expense of what is a variety of colors, what substances affect it? What is the characteristic of multi-colored tubers?
Orange-colored tubers have a high content of carotene. One tuber contains more than half a glass of carrot juice. By the way, we add that it contains twice as much potassium as bananas.
Intense violet color indicates that there is a huge amount of anthocyanins inside. These substances cause the antioxidant properties of the plant. These varieties are indispensable in the diet of those who have eye problems, who have a suspicion of oncology or require prevention of the cardiovascular system.
Basic properties and indicators
Comparison and chemical composition. The table shows the content of nutrients (calories, proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals) per 100 grams of edible part. (Important! The table can be scrolled right-left).
The energy value of the sweet potato per 100 grams of fresh product is 60 kcal.
How to cook yam delicious
Sweet potatoes of sweet varieties can be eaten raw, it is very tasty and fragrant. By the way, his skin is also edible, there are also many vitamins in it, it is thin and almost imperceptible. Sweet potato is prepared almost 2 times faster than potatoes, so be careful that the dish does not burn. This vegetable tastes best in baked form, it is better to make mashed potatoes even when the taste of tubers becomes habitual.
Children can make colorful mashed potatoes - it will be more interesting for them, because each color has its own taste! Salads can also be made multi-colored, it will enrich the bouquet of sensations and complement the diet with a variety of vitamins and microelements.
Here are some simple and tasty sweet potato dishes:
A simple salad recipe:
1 large apple cut into thin straws. Batata need twice as much. It can either be grated or coarsely chopped. Mix, add a teaspoon of honey, a pinch of cinnamon. A couple of walnuts peeled from the shell, chop. Sprinkle the salad on top.
Baked in the oven:
Batat carefully wash, slightly clean. Further depends on how much juicy root you want to get. Oven should be hot. If you want to get a juicy root vegetable - then we wrap it in foil beforehand; you can put a piece of butter directly on the sweet potato on top. It is very tasty to add some spices, then it turns out an exotic dish, which is popular in many Asian countries.
Fried in oil:
The root crop is clean, cut a large straw. Soak in ice water for half an hour so that extra starch comes out, then in the process of roasting you will get a delicious crisp. Drain the water, drain the straws and throw in the heated oil. Fry until golden brown. At the end we lightly salt and add hot spices and finely chopped garlic. Sprinkle with fresh herbs on top.
This recipe is suitable for those for whom the diet - not the most important thing in life, because in this dish a lot of calories.
Sweet Potato Chips:
Cut the tuber across on very thin plates of uniform thickness. Preheat oven to 230 degrees. Lubricate the sheet with vegetable oil, spread on it in one layer pieces of yam. Sprinkle with spices. Put the sheet in the oven and wait for the redden. Once you need to turn the chips to bake them evenly. When they are almost ready, sprinkle with grated cheese on top.
Boil peeled and cut into large cubes of root crops in a small amount of salted water. Drain the water, add a piece of butter, preheated milk and whisk with a blender. Each variety has its own taste, its own color, its own structure. You can use fresh cream instead of milk, then do not add butter. Such mashed potatoes are also used to make souffles and casseroles.
Kornekluben medium size carefully wash, can be cleaned with a brush. Cut into small cubes and dry in the oven. The temperature should be small, so that the cubes are dried, not baked. When dry, fry them to a dark golden color in the pan, do not add oil. Cool and grind on a coffee grinder. We make as usual coffee, in the Turk. If desired, you can add a spoon of honey and milk.
What is remarkable is that in the prepared yam useful substances not only do not become less, its useful qualities after heat treatment increase! So if there are no potatoes at home or it is undesirable to use it for any reason, then the yam can successfully replace it.
Sweet potatoes are prepared quickly, faster than usual, and this, of course, is also very convenient and economical. By the way, it lacks the characteristic potato starchy flavor, since the starch content in American potatoes is much lower than in normal ones. Properly grown sweet potatoes - tender, juicy and sweet, healthy and tasteful.
In China, the sweet potato is called "the fruit of longevity." The Chinese are confident that those who constantly eat this vegetable, in order to slow down the aging process in the body. And this statement has a very real basis.
IMPORTANT! * when copying materials of the article, please indicateactive link to the source: https://nausade.ru/ogorod/batat_polza_i_vred.html
If you like the article - like and leave a comment below. Your opinion is important to us!
Sweet potato use
Overseas guest has many valuable qualities. It is useful to eat when:
- Obesity. Tubers are rich in fiber, which leaves the body full for a long time, and causes intestinal motility to work more actively. By the way, it is the fiber of sweet potatoes that is recognized as the softest and most tender. Therefore, it does not injure the intestines, as the coarse fibers of some useful plants. Plus, the blood is saturated with complex carbohydrates, which allows for a long time not to feel hunger. A calorie sweet potato low to the obscene.
- Climax. Vegetable contains female hormones, which are so lacking for women after balzakovskogo age. By the way, some sources recommend eating sweet potatoes during menopause instead of pills. As well as women of other ages to maintain a balance of hormonal levels. Plus, libido increases due to the increased content of phytoestrogen in tubers.
As is clear from the list, sweet potato is a very useful comrade in some respects. Therefore, it can and should be included in your menu. Of course, without fanatical fattening. After all, in our country there is no centuries-old history of nutrition with sweet potatoes. Therefore, try for the first time quite a bit. Listen to yourself. If everything is in order, then slowly increase the portion. And always consult your doctor. He knows exactly what and how much you can eat.
Sweet potato harm
But not everything is so smooth in the vegetable kingdom. There are also some dangers that lie in wait for people when eating sweet potatoes for food. And even there are contraindications in which it is strictly forbidden to eat sweet potatoes. These include:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding. During this period, a woman has hormonal background and jumps like a rabid. A phytoestrogen from tubers can play a very bad joke. Rumor has it that it can trigger the development of fetal abnormalities and even miscarriage.
- Gastritis, gastric ulcer and their ilk. What is vitamin C? Nothing but acid. So, when you eat sweet potatoes in unlimited quantities, you give a huge load to your gastrointestinal tract. And if such food does not hurt a healthy person, then people with similar diseases will have to face an unpleasant surprise. That is, with a tough aggravation.
- Tendency to allergies. Since sweet potatoes are absolutely not common in our country, people with allergies should refrain from dishes made from it. Who knows what substance the body will react with itching, swelling and shortness of breath.
- Drug treatment. So far, no serious scientific research has been carried out on the compatibility of yam with various drugs. Therefore, the reaction of the organism can be completely unpredictable. The fact is that sweet potatoes contain a large amount of biologically active substances. And all the scenarios are impossible to predict. Therefore, if you are undergoing any therapy, then for a while refuse from the sweet potatoes.
- Urolithiasis disease. Статистика показывает, что в регионах, где сладкий картофель — постоянный гость на столе, уровень заболеваемости мочекаменной болезнью гораздо выше других районов. Просто клубни буквально напичканы оксалатами. Те, в свою очередь, не выводятся из организма естественным путем, а оседают в почках и желчном пузыре, образуя нерастворимые камни.
- Problems with the chair. The sweet potato cleans the intestines very well. Starch from tubers has enveloping properties. Simultaneously with the abuse of food, these factors can lead to very sad consequences. For example, gastrointestinal upset and diarrhea
As you can see, not all categories of people useful sweet potatoes. Therefore, always be sure to consult with a specialist. And only then decide whether you need such an overseas curiosity, or, well, her in the bath.
Sweet potatoes all over the mine are respected by people with diabetes. After all, they especially strictly need to control their menu. But yam has a very low glycemic index, and does not contain light sugars. Therefore, it can be safely eaten with a high level of glucose in the blood.
Batat is a champion in vitamin A content. Therefore, it is so respected by athletes and people involved in fitness. After all, this vitamin is responsible for the rapid recovery after heavy physical training and grueling exercises. By the way, the industry turned its close attention to sweet potatoes. The result of this interest was the appearance on the market of a special sports nutrition based on yam. It allows in a short time to build up excellent muscle mass without harm to health and the use of additional chemicals.
And sweet potatoes are especially appreciated by women. And again, because of the notorious retinol. If you often eat yams, the skin will be in excellent condition for a long time. And certainly the first wrinkles will appear quite soon. Of course, the aging process will not slow down. But the external signs and manifestations will not appear for a long time. Just do not overdo it! With an overdose, vitamin A becomes toxic.
And of course about the eyes. Since childhood, we are told to eat carrots so that our eyesight is good. And what if the carrot is sick? Or is the blueberry season still far away? Batat eat what else. Of course, he can not argue on the content of vitamin A with a simple carrot, but as an alternative - it will fit perfectly.
By the way, heavy smokers should also turn their attention to the overseas guest. And again because of the high content of retinol in the pulp. After all, it helps to prevent pulmonary emphysema - a terrible thunderstorm of all tobacco lovers. Relatives of smokers, too, should not pass by these useful tubers. Because the harm of passive smoking is significantly neutralized by meals with sweet potatoes.
The sweet potato can serve as an original, useful side dish to the main course. For example, try cooking it instead of regular potatoes or cereals. No doubt, at first it will be a little unusual to feel in the mouth sweetness with meat or fish taste. But the goose with apples is also sweet. Or salted caramel sauce - also has a sweet taste. You eat them and do not grimace. So just try. Suddenly like it? At the same time, the intestines will be thoroughly cleaned, then they will thank you.
Well, we have dismantled the facts about the sweet potato. The benefits and harm of it are now known to you. Therefore, remember the recommendations and motivate the mustache. You look, and the information is useful.
Batata: basic information, composition and calorie content of the product
The sweet potato is often called “sweet potato”, although it has practically nothing in common with it, except for its appearance. The sweet potato is an annual plant with long stems (1.5-3 m). Yam tubers come in a variety of colors: pink, white, purple, yellow, and have a rich, unusual flavor, most often sweet.
The weight of one fruit can vary from 200 g to several kilograms. The most weight fruits of sweet potatoes reach only in their homeland - in Colombia and Peru, that is, in a tropical hot climate. But recently, varieties of sweet potatoes have been developed, adapted for a more severe climate.
Sweet potato - a unique vegetable in terms of taste: it resembles nuts, pumpkin, banana, melon, and sometimes chestnuts. Sugar, alcohol, and flour are obtained from some varieties of sweet potato tubers. Stems and leaves also do not disappear in vain - you just need to soak them thoroughly or boil them and you can safely add them to salads.
It takes very little time to cook sweet potatoes (for example, it is cooked several times faster than potatoes). It can be eaten boiled, baked and even raw. It is also often added to various soups, salads, etc.
Council Since sweet potato has a slightly mealy taste with sweetness, it will be perfectly combined with citrus fruits: orange peel and lemon juice. You will make an excellent sweet potato dish if you add curry (especially hot) and various peppers to it.
The sweet potato contains a huge amount of vitamins - A, C, PP, and also vitamins of group B. The sweet potato is rich in various microelements, such as phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, etc. The fruits of the plant also contain a considerable amount of water, organic acids. As for the calorie content of the product, then, ladies, you can not be afraid for your figure: 100 g of sweet potatoes contain not more than 60 Kcal, about 15 g of carbohydrates, 2 g of proteins and not more than 0.5 g of fat.