Verbena is a unique ornamental plant, which, in addition to pleasing the eye with its attractive appearance, does not require increased attention to itself in terms of care.
It is possible to grow vervain both in the open field and on the balcony, creating unique branch compositions.
The article will look in detail at the rules of planting and care for the vervain.
What is this perennial plant?
Verbena is a perennial plant that is cultivated in Russia as an annual. In garden floriculture, hybrid verbena, whose height reaches 25 cm, is in special demand.
Verbena flowers are small, but their color is quite wide:
All of them form inflorescences in the form of plates. Differs culture long flowering. You can see the first flowers in the second half of June, which will delight you and those around you before the first frosts.
Requirements to the place of cultivation
The peculiarity of this culture is that it is perfectly acclimatized anywhere in the garden. They are perfect for decorating the territory, which is empty after the flowering of early spring plants.
But there are a number of conditions, under which the verbena will get acclimatized and will delight everyone with colorful and long flowering. This will require:
- Choose a plot that is well lit by sunlight. Buds and leaves of the plant do not fade even when exposed to direct sunlight.
- As for the soil, loam is perfect. But this is not a prerequisite. The main thing is that the soil is permeable and loose. This can be achieved even on heavy soils. You just need to add sand to the ground.
- Be sure to take care of drainage. Suitable for this broken brick, broken stones, expanded clay or crushed stone. This layer will perfectly protect the verbena roots from the harmful effects of excessive moisture. Water will freely penetrate the drainage, and its stagnation will be absent.
Since vervain is great for growing on a balcony, seed planting is carried out according to the following scheme:
- Spread the prepared planting material over the surface. The soil should be soft and loose. You can sprinkle a little sand.
- Moisten the substrate, but do not fill. For these purposes, suitable spray.
- Cover the container with glass or film to create a greenhouse effect.
- If no previous stratification of the seeds was carried out, then the containers should be placed in a refrigerator for 2-3 days. Under the influence of low temperatures, seeds are stimulated, as a result of which the first shoots appear earlier, they grow rapidly and bloom profusely.
- Seedlings should be near the battery. Temperature before germination should be 20-25 degrees.
- The soil should be moistened periodically using an atomizer. Do not allow drying or excessive wetting of the ground. You can see the first shoots in 1-3 weeks.
- Now you can remove the film, move the container to a well-lit and cool place.
- Pick up seedlings in pots to hold when the seedlings grow to 2-3 true leaves, and their height reaches 8-10 cm.
- Planted seedlings should be planted in the wells, located at a distance of 20 cm. If the species is creeping, then the distance should be increased to 25-35 cm.
- When the ground is excessively dry, then in each planting hole to adjust 1.5 liters of water.
- Wait until it is absorbed, and then put the roots of the plant in the resulting gruel.
- Now sprinkle a dry bed with a seedling flower with dry soil and press the soil around the crop a little.
- In the first 1-2 weeks the plant is thoroughly watered. This will allow him to quickly settle down and bloom earlier.
When can this be done?
If you choose a seedling method, then seeds to be planted in a prepared container and substrate in early March. When growing verbena in the southern regions, planting material can be sent directly to the ground in late April-early May.
See a photo of how verbena seedlings are grown and how it is transplanted into open ground.
So that after the transplant, the verbena would quickly take root, It is worth following some recommendations:
- When the vervain is planted in the open ground by the seedling method, then the plant should be put into the well together with the earthy clod. This will allow the root system to take root and develop actively.
- Do not thrust into the soil, which is saturated with organic matter. This will lead to the fact that the culture will not multiply and bloom.
- If you plant a plant in the shade, it will stretch, forming an actively green mass.
After planting, caring for vervain, you need to pay attention to the loosening of the earth. This procedure will allow you to saturate the roots with oxygen, therefore, their development occurs more actively. To spend loosening costs after watering. In addition, it is important to timely remove weeds that take nutrients from the soil.
Verbena responds positively to moisturizing, but you should not be too zealous. Keep the soil near the bushes is not too dry. On one bush should go up to about 5 liters of water. Best of all, she was defended. Watering is enough 2-3 times a week.
Planting of planting material is carried out in early March., as it slowly and unsuitably germinates. Keep the seed in a cool place. Best for this fridge. For seedlings of vervainy, a long juvenile period is typical.
Verbena seeds are not very small, so it does not make sense to mix them with sand. Lay them out in boxes filled with loose, permeable soil. After covering the seeds with earth, and the capacity of the film.
When growing seedlings should be moderated in watering. Otherwise, plants can get a black leg. Pickling of seedlings into separate containers occurs after 2-3 true leaves have been formed.
After a successful picking, when the plant stuck in a new place, you have to pinch the tops to form shoots. Then the bushes of verbena will be thick, and abundant bloom.
This breeding method is suitable for already mature plants.
For this it is necessary to use the upper and middle cuttings taken from the middle of the shoots.
Prepared plant cuttings easily give roots in a glass of water in 10-15 days. After the formation of the rudiments of the roots, the cuttings are transplanted into individual containers.
Diseases and problems
If you fully care for the plant, it will fully resist diseases. When excessive soil moisture can occur powdery mildew. The cause of its development are fungi.
They affect the green part of the plant, causing the leaves to dry and fall away. To remove the affected leaves, and a bush to process special means.
Also, excessive watering of the plant will cause it to wither and wither. This indicates rotting of the roots, leaves and stems. It is necessary to stop watering and treat fungicides.
Verbena can be affected by insects such as mining ears. They eat leaflets and disrupt metabolism. To combat it, it is worthwhile to treat verbena with anti-pest agents, which you can buy in a specialty store.
Verbena is a plant whose flowers are distinguished by a wide palette of shades. In this way, you can create a unique flower arrangement on a flower bed with different colors. Only for this you need to strictly follow all the rules of agricultural technology. Now you know everything you need to properly plant and care for vervain.
Cultivation from seed, care and planting of vervain on video:
Description of Vervain
Bushes of different varieties and colors most often belong to varieties of hybrid verbena. But in nature and culture spread several more species of fragrant plants:
Common to all the many varieties is the lack of yellow color. But sometimes in the trade can be found planting material verbena yellow (perennial). The most common under this name is offered to the bushstrips (Lisimachia), having a similar name. It is distinguished by its form: in the Led Lutheater, large yellow flowers are evenly distributed along the trunks, interspersed with tiers of leaves. In all varieties of verbena flowers are collected on the tops of the stems in rounded or elongated inflorescences.
Some varieties of hybrid verbena have a yellowish-orange hue, but they are considered rare. The height of these bushes rarely exceeds 50 cm, they have whole leaves with a jagged edge and light pubescence. The shape of the inflorescences is round, corymbose or umbrella.
Flowering begins at the edges of the shield. In a number of varieties, the shade of the petals changes as they age, therefore flowers of a different color may be located along the edges of the inflorescences than in the center. From the beginning of summer to late autumn flowering verbena can please the eye of the owners of the site. With good wintering conditions (in the southern regions of the country), the plant is cultivated as a perennial.
Other popular varieties
In addition to cultivated hybrid varieties, species of a plant are often grown in gardens. They have not changed much compared to wild relatives. These varieties include:
- Rigid vervain, or stricture. It is distinguished by dense wedge-shaped leaves, low branched stalks and upright candles of elongated inflorescences, painted in lilac shades.
- Canadian, or ampelnaya. This is a low, up to 20 cm plant, which has creeping shoots and beautiful openwork leaves. When planting bushes in hanging pots the stems with inflorescences beautifully descend from the pot. Coloring of flowers in white-pink-purple range, there are varieties with blue petals.
- Lemon. It is grown because of the pleasant smell, inflorescence differs paniculate sprawling form. The flowers are small, light purple or white. Essential oil is used in perfumes and aromatherapy.
- Buenos Aires. The bushes of this plant resemble oregano thickets and in the form of stems and inflorescences, both in height (up to 100 cm), and in the color of flowers. The plant blooms for 2 years after sowing, fragrant.
Perennial verbena cultivation and care of the flower in the open field
Proper cultivation, planting and caring for a flowering plant contribute to obtaining a larger number of inflorescences and prolong the decorative period of the bushes. Verbenas are unpretentious flowers, grow in almost any conditions, but for abundant flowering require the observance of simple rules.
Soil selection and planting
The composition of the soil is not decisive for the growth and flowering of any plant species. But the root system of bushes does not tolerate stagnation of water, therefore, it is not necessary to grow vervain in lowland wetlands. On dense soils in the planting hole lay a drainage layer of rubble or brick battle. Over it you need to fill loose soil, well permeable to air and water.
The distance between compact shrubs is 20 cm. When planting large varieties (Buenos Aires, hybrid), the distance increases to 30-40 cm. Weeding is practically not carried out group planting: sprawling stems inhibit any weeds. Such weeds need to be removed only after planting young seedlings.
Watering and fertilizing the flower
The plant tolerates drought and high temperature of soil and air. But young plants require regular watering, when there is no rain. It is possible to determine its necessity by drying the top layer of the soil 1-2 cm deep.
For feeding use mixtures for flowering crops. It is better to buy ready-made fertilizers in which the correct proportions of microelements are observed. Apply them in accordance with the instructions, and for the season spend a few fertilizing with an interval of 14-15 days.
Verbena flower: care for the plant at home
If vervain is grown in a container, it will be well drained before planting. After watering, water from the pan is drained if it is not absorbed into the soil after 30 minutes. Bushes can be fed according to the scheme for plants in open ground. For good flowering, verbena will require at least 3-4 hours of stay in the bright sun, and in winter you will have to transfer the flower for the winter to a cool room.
Methods and secrets of reproduction
Growing seedlings from seeds at home is difficult. Before sowing, seeds are immersed in water for 5-6 hours, and then laid out on a cloth or paper. Within 6-7 days, they should be kept at a temperature of about + 1 ... + 2 ° C, and then sown, not falling asleep with soil. To preserve moisture, sow close a piece of glass (put directly on the ground). Shoots appear in 7-10 days.
Hybrid forms and a lemon variety are suitable for breeding verbena cuttings. Annual shoots in autumn are cut into pieces with 4-6 buds. The lower 2 tiers of buds on the cuttings are immersed in wet sand or light soil. Close the container with cuttings with glass and maintain constant humidity in the nursery until rooting. Drop off at a permanent place in the spring.
Diseases and pests
The main verbena pests are frequent inhabitants of any gardens: aphids, sucking and gnawing insects. At home, bushes often affects spider mites. Get rid of help drugs for the relevant species.
In the damp Russian climate, vervains are susceptible to fungal diseases (powdery mildew, fusarium, etc.). You can fight off using fungicides.
Perennial plant verbena. Growing and caring for a flower
The plant is characterized by short stature and beautiful creeping stems. If it is grown in pots, the stems can hang down 60 centimeters, and when preparing flower carpets on the soil, the flower grows to 5 square meters. Among the vast variety of ampelous varieties of perennial vervains, the following should be highlighted:
- Variety "Snow Queen". It is a very beautiful and attractive plant, which has its own unique color scheme and graceful forms. Such a plant will look spectacular in hanging pots and pots, where 5 rainbow shades will be shown. Ensure the incredible attractiveness of the variety, you can use the photos available on florist portals and forums,
- Verbena "Imagine". It belongs to a group of short-growing plants that look great in hanging boxes or in the form of live carpets and cascades. Representatives of litter have relatively large purple flowers that form inflorescences in diameter up to 5 centimeters. It has a small growth and creeping stems,
- Verbena "Moon River". It is considered a relatively young variety, with 45-centimeter shoots and a beautiful hanging shape. The inflorescences are painted in lavender shades, due to which they look especially elegant and irresistible,
Other varieties belong to the group of bush plants and are only suitable for growing in open ground. Consider them closer.
Reproduction using cuttings
Growing flower vervain can be done in another way. It involves the use of cut young cuttings from an adult plant. Cutting can be started at the end of February, for which you need to cut off the top of the head with 4-6 paired leaves. The cut is assiduously treated with charcoal to provide more productive wound healing. It is important to clear the cuttings from the lower leaves and leave only the upper ones.
The next stage consists of placing the prepared cuttings into the soil. As it can be used, and sand, and sand-peat mixture in equal proportions. The cuttings are immersed in the soil to the lower node, and the box is covered with a film. Two weeks will not pass, as the root system will begin to grow rapidly.
If you are going to grow perennials by grafting, use extreme caution and use sharp tools to minimize damage to the crop. Be extremely careful not to hurt the healthy part of the plant and do not harm it. In this case, you can successfully remove the finished planting material and transplant it into a prepared container. With proper care, the cuttings will quickly take root and be ready for further planting in open ground on the flower bed
As for reproduction using division of the bush, it is carried out only for rare varieties, including medicinal vervain with a variety of healing properties.
Features planting plants in open ground
If you spent picking up seedlings planted in separate pots, they can begin to transplant in open ground. The success of such a procedure will be maximized, if it is carried out in the absence of frost. This is due to the fact that verbena has a low threshold of frost resistance, and any contact with negative temperatures can lead to the death of the plant. Considering this feature, before planting, you need to look at the weather forecast and make sure that there will be no frost in the near future.
Features of landing in an open ground look as follows:
- Experts recommend starting to plant a flower in open soil in late spring, because During this period, in a considerable part of our country, the air temperature rises significantly and becomes stably warm,
- When choosing a site for landing, you need to give preference to sufficiently illuminated areas, because any penumbra can have a bad effect on the development of young shoots.When grown in a shaded area, the plant will begin to grow in height, and instead of luxurious peduncles only green mass will develop,
- If you intend to plant several plants at once, observe the optimal distance between the holes. If you grow compact vervain, then you can leave a distance of 20 centimeters between each bush. When planting a handicraft flower of creeping form, this distance should be 25-30 centimeters,
- It is important to responsibly respond to the need to prepare wells for planting. The bottom of such grooves should be lined with a good drainage layer. Such an event will protect the culture from the damaging effects of high humidity. For drainage, you can use broken bricks, pebbles or expanded clay,
- Young sprouting verbena does not need intensive feeding with mineral fertilizers. The overabundance of such substances will affect the rapid growth of green mass, but the absence of the expected flowering,
- The best soil composition for growing perennial verbena at home is sand or a mixture of sand and peat,
- When grown in dry soil, the recess must first be moistened with two glasses of water. When planting in rainy weather, watering is optional,
- The next step involves lowering the seedlings into the hole, covering the root system and following the main care guidelines.
Verbena flower. Home care for the plant
Flower growers love and respect verbena due to picky behavior when maintaining at home. Planting and further care of the plant does not require much difficulty. True, if you ignore the basic features of the correct content of the flower, it can cause the lack of flowering. Therefore, consider a number of important subtleties, and in the end you will be pleasantly surprised.
Verbena care includes:
- moderate watering in the first days of life,
- frequent watering during the period of intensive flowering. The frequency of this procedure is reduced with the arrival of autumn. However, with frequent watering, you need to beat cautiously and try not to flood the plant with excess liquid,
- loosening the soil after spraying or watering,
- weeding from the early days of life. In the future, the flower will be able to independently push out weeds and other threatening plants,
- removal of flowering inflorescences, which contributes to more lush blooming,
- preventive measures to protect against diseases and pests,
If you follow these recommendations, you can grow a truly beautiful and lush plant for your garden.
Such a different vervain
Conventionally, representatives of the Verbenovs can be divided according to several criteria:
- There are annual, perennial and semi-shrub species.
- Stems are creeping, erect or prostrate. The leaves are different too.
- You can choose any color of inflorescences - there are about 10. There are monophonic and flowers with a peephole.
But all species have common features. Verbena is a rhizome plant. In the inflorescence collected about 50 small flowers. Flowering can be observed from the beginning of summer to November. In our climate, unfortunately, growing vervain is obtained only as an annual - most species do not tolerate frosty winters.
Now we’ll dwell on popular types of vervain and look at the photo of flowers.
Verbena perennial straight
This is the only plant species that tolerates frosts. The leaves are oval-shaped with teeth on the edges, 9 by 5 cm. The flowers are purple, the inflorescence is 40 cm in length. Flowering short.
Verbena Buenos Airesca
From the name it is clear that the birthplace of the plant in warm countries. There Verbena Buenos Aireskaya reaches 120 cm, grows like a perennial. It has a main stem and side shoots at the base of the bush. The leaves are long, with cloves on the edges. Flowers light lilac color. Inflorescence in the form of spikelets, which in turn form umbrella-shaped caps. Flowering is long and abundant. The second name is Bonar Verbena.
A popular look for gardeners in our region. It has creeping, branched or standing stalks from 20 cm to half a meter long. The leaves are triangular in shape with a colorless bristle. Inflorescences in the form of umbrellas, fragrant. Verbena hybrid can be of two subspecies:
- large-flowered (up to half a meter high),
- compact (up to 30 cm in height).
Medicinal properties of the plant
Verbena has healing properties and contraindications. The latter include individual intolerance. There are many medicinal properties, they differ in different species. Tell you about the two most popular.
So verbena officinalis has an excellent antispasmodic effect. Besides:
Lemon verbena has an antiseptic effect, is used in the treatment of vegetative-vascular dystonia, as well as:
- used in cases of liver failure,
- helps with problems with the digestive tract,
Since we have verbena grown as an annual plant, let's figure out how to grow it from seeds. In some cases, seed germination is required for germination. To do this, you need a damp cloth, a dark bag and a fridge. We put the seeds in a moistened cloth, put it in a bag and leave it in the refrigerator chamber for 5 days.
The stratification procedure is needed for those types of verbena, which have a very dense box of seeds.
After stratification, you can start sowing. Verbena seeds can be germinated as a seedling method, and in open ground. By the way, the first method showed high germination.
Verbena seeds germinate 3-5 years.
In many species of vervain, the percentage of seed germination is up to 30%. It is worth considering and not expect a miracle. Seedlings are sown on seedlings in March. It is necessary to prepare pots with humus, sand or perlite mixed with the ground. Further seeds fall asleep and are covered with a thin layer of humus. Containers should be covered with glass and germinated at a temperature of 20 degrees.
Do not forget to sometimes air the shoots, and remove condensate from the glass.
The first shoots will appear in 3 weeks. As soon as they appeared, the container should be moved to a cooler place. It is easy to care for seedlings - it is necessary to maintain water balance. Plants are sprayed with full drying of the earth.
When the seedlings appeared two pairs of leaves (approximately in May), you need to pick a pick in separate pots. When the plants are already accustomed to a new place, you can do fertilizing with mineral fertilizer.
In ampel varieties, the tip over a 5-6 sheet should be pinned. This contributes to better branching of the plant.
When the seedlings are already grown, you can put them in open ground. Best suited sunny place with fertile loam. But verbena can grow in partial shade on poor soils dug with sand.
It is important to keep the distance between the flowers so that they do not interfere with the normal development of each other. So, undersized vervains land at a distance of 20 cm, and creeping - 25-30 cm.
To avoid the devastating stagnation of water, drainage material should be added to each well before planting.
Planting vervains and care in the open field is as follows. On the street, the temperature should be already above 0 in the afternoon, and at night not below -3 Otherwise, the plant will die. Make sure that the soil with the seeds is loose - the only way the shoots can break through.
It is necessary to sow on wet soil, do not sprinkle it on top. Also do not forget about timely watering, but do not overmoisten the soil.
How to care for vervain
Rules for plant care are quite simple:
- During the period of active growth and flowering need regular watering. Since the end of the summer it is stopped altogether.
- Loosening is necessary in extreme heat. It is done only after watering to aerate the roots.
- When planting verbena group for the first time growth is necessary weeding.
- In order not to fight weeds and loosen the ground, mulch the soil. Mulch will replace your work.
As for fertilizer, organic and minerals are applied. The first is added only once per season. If organic fertilizer more, verbena will only grow the green part, but you will not wait for flowering. Mineral fertilizer is applied 4 times.
When removing faded flowers, verbena will delight you with beauty and aroma until the first frost.
Verbena is quite stable and, subject to the rules of planting and care, looks like in the photo and practically does not get sick. The danger arises when growing outside in a flower bed in rainy summer or when overflowing. So powdery mildew, blackleg, rot and other similar diseases can appear. That is, the plant will simply start to rot. Such diseases are hard enough to cure, so try not to allow overmoistening of the soil, arrange good drainage.
From vermin pests can attack mites and aphids. Insecticides will save them.
We collect seeds of vervain
When most seed pods turn brown, you can collect seeds. To do this, cut the inflorescence and put it to dry on a sheet of paper. To prevent mold during drying, the inflorescence should be periodically turned over. When the inflorescence dries, it remains only to open the boxes and pour the seeds into the bag.
There is no guarantee that the seeds will pass on the appearance of the mother plant. What exactly of them will grow is impossible to guess.
Favorable conditions for the plant Verbena
The plant verbena is resistant to drought and cold, tolerates a decrease in temperature up to 3 degrees of frost. When planting, give preference to places with a lot of light. And then from the first summer month until the fall, it will delight you with flowering.
Verbena is undemanding to soil types. The plant is responsive to fertilizer, which is desirable to make once before flowering and twice during the process itself. However, verbena does not tolerate top dressing with fresh organic matter - compost or manure.
There are several species that are easily propagated by cuttings. However, seeds are most often used for this purpose. The most favorable time for sowing is the beginning of spring. To speed up the process of emergence of seedlings from the ground, the seeds are sometimes soaked in a growth stimulator for a day. Then they are scattered on the surface without deepening into the soil. Above, you can cover a little bit of earth, but with the obligatory intake of air.
Verbena plant does not tolerate excessive moisture, so you need to be very careful with watering. It is best to spray the earth as it dries. Shoots appear gradually, not together. One month after the first sprouts make their way, the seedlings dive. In mid-May, they are transplanted into open ground or boxes. The distance between the sprouts should be about 20-25 centimeters.
It is better to plant vervain in a place in a place where there is no strong shade and where water does not accumulate and does not stagnate. Young plants can pinch the tip to form a lush.
Note to gardeners
Many gardeners prefer compact and "undersized" varieties of verbena, densely branched at the base. Some of the brightest representatives of these varieties are combined into several groups:
- Romance Mixed,
- Adonis blue
- Silver Anne et al.
- Verbena hastate,
- Homestead purple
- buenos ayreskaya.
How and when to plant for seedlings?
Verbena can multiply by self-sowing, but this way it is impossible to control the varietal affiliation of the plant. It is better to purchase seeds in specialized stores or be patient and collect it yourself with flowers that have already faded, but in this case the question of preserving varietal traits will remain open. To do this, it is enough to carefully remove the verbena seed boxes, dry them and shake the seeds out of them. All manipulations should be carried out carefully so as not to lose seed that is shallow enough.
The algorithm of action when planting seeds of verbena on seedlings is as follows:
- Verbena seeds are placed on a moistened cloth or cotton pad, placed in a plastic bag or plastic container, and then placed in the vegetable storage in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Or, before sowing, seeds can be soaked for several hours in a growth and root formation stimulator (for example, Appin).
- Prepare the substrate: should be loose, light and breathable. To do this, you can purchase a universal soil in the store and add sand and vermiculite to it. You can also prepare a soil mixture of your own: garden soil, sand and peat mixed in equal proportions. It will not be superfluous to treat the soil with a fungicide or a thermal method.
- Prepare a container for sowing seeds. The tank must have drainage holes.
- The bottom of the container is filled with expanded clay, then prepared soil.
- Substrate before sowing must be well moistened with a spray.
- Treated seeds are neatly distributed over the top layer of soil. Do not sprinkle them with earth!
- The upper layer of the substrate is moistened again.
- Capacity is closed with film or glass to create greenhouse conditions.
- Tara is transferred to a well-lit and warm place (not below + 25C).
- Every day, "greenhouse" must be opened for airing.
- Shelter can be removed after the final formation of seedlings on the 15th - 20th day.
- It is necessary to systematically moisten the surface of the soil from the spray gun, preventing it from drying out.
- After 4 to 5 true petals appear on the seedlings (8 to 10 cm), the seedlings dive: transplant each plant into a separate pot, while pinching the root for its future active branching and top for the emergence of side shoots.
- The young shoot is buried in the substrate (its composition is the same as for sowing) to the cotyledon leaves.
- Each plant is watered around the edge of the pot and is determined to a permanent place until it is planted in open ground.
- After 14 - 15 days, seedlings can already be fed with fertilizers with a high nitrogen content.
We offer to watch a video on how to plant verbena seeds on seedlings:
For planting in the flower garden are suitable bush varieties of vervain:
- Verbena hybrid (Piches and Cream, Adonis Mango, Blue night).
- Lemon Verbena
- Buenos Airesca, etc.
These varieties are erect bushes, the height of which varies from 20 cm to 1 m, depending on the variety. Multi-colored flowers of verbena effectively decorate the borders, flower beds and rabatki on the plot.
To plant seedlings of vervain in open ground should be when the threat of spring frost disappears. As a rule, this is the beginning or second half of May (depending on the latitude).
How to prepare the soil?
- For vervain on the plot will fit well-lit, warm places, protected from drafts.
- In addition, this place should not be in the lowlands, as in such a case there will be a danger of permanent accumulation of moisture.
- The land does not require special preparation, it is enough to bring a little humus and peat before planting verbena on the site. In case the earth is heavy and dense, you can dig it up with sand.
Landing at home
For cultivation in pots, vases, containers ampelnye plant varieties are ideal:
- Tiara Red Impr.
- Lenai Candy Kay.
- Moon River.
- Mistm and others.
Their main feature is creeping shoots, the length of which can reach 60 cm. Falling stems, covered with lush inflorescences of a wide variety of colors and shades, look spectacular on balconies in hanging pots or pots.
The best time for planting vervain in a pot is the end of April - the beginning of May.
The soil must be air and water permeable: garden soil is mixed with peat or vermiculite (perlite). You can purchase ready-made soil in a specialty store. Be sure to in the pot should be a drainage layer, which may consist of expanded clay, broken brick, river pebbles, etc.
In the open ground
Although the flower can tolerate drought, it is better not to experiment. The optimal irrigation pattern is once every 2 to 3 days, depending on weather conditions. The first time after planting, the frequency of irrigation can be increased until such time as the seedlings are fully accepted. Loosening.
For the full development of verbena need air access to the roots. To ensure this will help systematically loosen the soil around the plant, removing weeds. Top dressing.
For the entire season, top dressing should be done 3 times: the first - 2 weeks after planting in open ground, the second - during budding, the third - at the time of active flowering. The first time the plant is fertilized with nitrogenous fertilizers, the second and third time - fertilizers, which include potassium, phosphorus, manganese. You can feed the plant and organic fertilizers. Crop.
To make a decorative form of the bush needs to be systematically pruned: dried inflorescences are removed along with a quarter of the shoot, carrying them.
Caring for a verbena, planted in a pot, is not particularly different from caring for a plant in open ground.
- Watering should be moderate, but regular: recommended frequency - after 2 days on the third.
- Verbena does not need to be sprayed, but it will not be superfluous to fertilize it. The application scheme for fertilizing is identical to the scheme for the care of vervain, planted in open ground.
- You should also cut off flowering buds to stimulate further active flowering.
Next you will see how perennial flowers look like:
Селекция вербены насчитывает около 250 видов, каждый из которых имеет свои особенности.
Hybrid Vervain – самая востребованная разновидность у цветоводов. Куст компактный, сильноветвистый со стелющимися стеблями, высотой до 50 см. Flowers rich varied color.
By varietal differences, hybrid verbena is conventionally divided into groups:
- Large-flowered ("Etna", "Defias", "Julia", "Cardinal").
- Compact ("Amethyst", "Crystal", "Dazler", "Pink Delight").
Canadian Verbena - grown as an annual. Stems thin, reach a maximum of 20 cm in height. The plant blooms profusely with white, pink or lilac flowers.
Tough vervain - characterized by small lilac flowers in inflorescences. Leaves are elongated, with villous bottoms. Stems tetrahedral, creeping. Germination of mature seeds lasts up to 5 years.
Buenos Airesca Verbena - tall representative (up to 120 cm). Stems are strong, upright. Side shoots depart from the base of the bush. At the same time on the bush blooms a lot of small flowers of amethyst color, which are collected in caps of inflorescences.
Ampelnaya vervain - fast-growing annual view. Used for growing in hanging pots. Shoots grow up to 60 cm and effectively hang down. Inflorescences compact with small flowers of various colors.
These photos demonstrate the beauty and variety of varieties of vervain.
Separately, you can select medicinal and lemon verbena. These are perennial bushes, the flowers of which have medicinal properties and are used to stabilize pressure, like antispasmodics, for intestinal disorders. Vervain oil serves as an antiseptic.
Growing and planting seedlings of verbena
Verbena is planted in open ground seedlings. Its seeds are very small and they are sown superficially in late February - early March. Seeds are evenly distributed over the soil surface. Planted seedling containers cover banks or film, thereby creating a mini-greenhouse. The shoots appear after two weeks, after which the shelter is removed, and the containers are placed on the lightest window sill.
Important! To avoid damage to shoots with a black leg, young shoots are only sprayed from a spray bottle.
The first real leaves appear after about three weeks. During this period, the seedlings spike in boxes, at a distance of 2-3 cm from each other. Two weeks after the picking, the seedlings are fed with complex mineral fertilizer.
When the seedlings reach 8-10 cm in height, they are transplanted into separate cups, and for greater branching, the tops are pinched.
In the open ground, seedlings are planted in late May. Landings are possible in June (by this time the seedlings usually already have blossomed inflorescences). Land for planting verbena sunny, moderately fertilized. The distance between plants should be at least 25 cm.
Reproduction of verbena cuttings
Rare, not giving seed varieties of verbena, can be propagated by cuttings. With this method of reproduction, all the qualities of the mother bush will be preserved. Preparation of planting material begins in the fall. For this, the mother bush is dug out with a large land clod and placed for the winter in a cool room (for example, in the basement).
In early spring, the tops of the shoots with 4-6 pairs of leaves are cut for cuttings. The lower incision is made at a distance of 1 cm from the extreme kidney. All leaves, except the top two, are removed.
The cuttings are germinated in containers with sand or sand-peat mixture. Depth of planting material to the first kidney (ie, 1 cm). The substrate in the containers must always remain wet. For this capacity with cuttings covered.
Within three weeks, the root system of the cuttings will begin to develop, after which new shoots will grow. Planted rooted cuttings in open ground need the same time as the seedlings.
Planting and caring for verbena are very simple and do not require special skills. Verbena bushes are responsive to intense light and are well tolerated by direct sunlight. Watering requires moderate but regular. In spring, when the seedlings have not yet gained enough strength and not got stronger, watering is carried out more often and more abundantly. Gradually, watering is reduced, and by the autumn they stop altogether.
Several times during the season, verbena is fed with mineral fertilizers. Manure as a fertilizer does not give the desired result, but only contributes to the abundant growth of green mass without flowers. Excess fertilizer in the soil leads to poor flowering.
Soil loosening is required only at the initial stage of growth of vervain. Later, when the culture grows, the need for weeding will disappear. To preserve moisture in areas instead of weeding, you can apply mulching. In order to use mulch rotten leaves.
Council For a spectacular view of a flower bed with verbena, you can use decorative mulching materials.
For abundant and prolonged flowering throughout the summer, faded buds should be cut.
Verbena is practically not affected by diseases and pests. Rare aphid invasions are suppressed by insecticides.
Use in landscape design
In landscape design, undersized varieties of verbena are used as a green border. In combination with Budley or Camellia decorative border will decorate the paths and will become a catchy element when zoning the garden.
Long flowering and variety of verbena colors will decorate works and flower beds. In flower beds, the greatest effect of flowering of vervain is achieved with its massive plantings. You can dilute the planting with marigolds, ekhinotseyami, decorative cereals, asters.
Ampel varieties of vervain will decorate balconies, terraces and gazebos. In hanging pots, verbena grows quickly, forming a huge blooming ball.
For experiments in joint plantings, verbena can be prompted by a photo of competent landscape design or your own imagination.
You can meet vervain both at the sites of experienced gardeners and at beginners. Abundant flowering of vervain in tandem with minimal care will allow you to create a real extravaganza in the garden, even for a beginner amateur.
Most of the species in our climate grows as annuals, as at temperatures below -3 degrees the plant dies. In this case, plant residues are removed in late autumn and the soil is dug up.
In some regions, you can try to make verbena many years. To do this, it is necessary to warm the root system with sawdust in the fall.
There is only one species that endures wintering - the verbena is a perennial straight. This is a rather rare plant in culture that needs preparation for winter. To keep the roots healthy until spring, you need to cut the stems to ground level, and close the base of the bush with spruce branches.
Having decorated your garden with a verbena of any kind, you will not regret it. This beautiful and useful plant is not whimsical, beautiful and fragrant.
Where to plant Verbena
Specialists in landscape design primarily appreciate vervain for its multicolor and unpretentiousness, so it is often used in rock garden compositions. Irresistible looks plant on the borders along the tracks, as well as in the central part of the flower beds and flower beds. Often, some types of vervain can be seen on balconies and terraces.
Growing conditions and care
Verbena is light-requiring, thermophilic and drought-resistant. The place for its cultivation must be sunny. She prefers loamy, not moist soils containing humus. Fresh manure does not tolerate verbena, and with an excess of nitrogen it develops a large vegetative mass to the detriment of flowering. One or two times a month it is fed with a complex fertilizer. But an excess of nitrogen, especially in combination with waterlogging, results in powdery mildew and even plant death. Verbena tolerates a short drought, but the prolonged heat, like shading, weakens flowering. Adult plants tolerate frosts.
Grow verbena seedling way. Seeds are sown in February. From sowing to flowering takes 3-3.5 months. Seedlings are planted in the ground in the second half of May. With prolonged cold weather, unfortunately, the growth of vervain stops. To stimulate the tillering of the plant you need to pinch the top. In a drought, verbena requires substantial watering to the depth of the roots, since the plant stops flowering from lack of water and quickly forms seeds.
It remains to say in more detail how to sow hybrid verbena. Early sowing (January-February) is undesirable: the seedlings at this time do not have enough light, and they become easy prey for the black stalk. From germination to flowering takes 50-70 days, and when sown in March there is a chance in late May - early June to plant in the open ground already flowering plants.
I grow vervain only through seedlings, which is no more difficult to grow than the beloved aster of all. Sowing seeds in early March in poor, loose, moisture and breathable soil. I take the sand for the base soil mixture, mix it with peat (2: 1), water it, level it and thicken it a little. Then the seeds are evenly laid out on the soil surface, slightly pressing down and, without falling asleep, I cover the container with glass or place it in a plastic bag.
Shoots of vervain appear in 10-12 days. As soon as the first sprouts appear, I take off the film and put the container on the lightest window sill. The shoots are very gentle, they need to be regularly watered from the spray. But so that the plants do not suffer from the black leg, it is impossible to re-moisten the soil.
After 3-4 weeks, real leaves appear, and I swoop down the seedlings, planting at a distance of 2.5-3 cm from each other. The composition of the soil mixture should now be richer: I add to it sod or humus soil and a little wood ash.
When the plants begin to crowd each other, sit the seedlings in separate cups.
You know that you need 8-10 pieces to get a dense blooming carpet measuring 1 sq. M. m, through which not to break through the weeds. Be sure to pinch over the third to fourth sheet to cause a strong tillering.
Verbena seedlings are planted in open ground at the end of May at a distance of 20-30 cm from each other. For the best survival rate - in the evening and immediately pour plenty of water.
If the creeping shoots of verbena are pressed to the ground with studs and spud, they will quickly take root and multiply.
The seedling planted in the landing hole which is filled in with water, gets accustomed well. Shoots quickly close and no weeds do not break through.
Interesting about vervain
Celtic priests made a drink of love from vervain that protected from evil spirits and reconciled enemies.
Was considered grass, astrologically subordinate to Venus.
Like the grass of love, verbena helps against anger, extinguishes emotions, leads to a cheerful mood.
The plant was used to cleanse the home.
It was believed that verbena is able to fulfill any desire, for which you just have to rub it.