In the spring, suddenly, mounds of earth appear, resembling small volcanoes 5–30 cm high. The earth rises, forming a “ridge”. Leaves of vegetables begin to wither without a reason. This means that the mole in the garden was wound up. What to do? The main thing is to calm down and carefully read this article. Here you can learn how to get rid of moles in the garden.
Meet the intruder
Moles are small black animals living under the ground. The body is elongated, streamlined, covered with velvety wool with a unique growth of the pile - vertically upwards, and not in a certain direction, which allows them to move underground in any direction without inconvenience. Color varies from brown to black. The tail is short, the eyes are blind - they lack the retina and lens. The front legs are real shovels with five powerful claws that can ensure a comfortable life in burrows and underground tunnel systems.
This animal is able to live underground at about half a meter depth, and almost without getting out to the surface. He builds himself whole palaces with multi-meter passages and separate rooms.
The mole is an amazing animal. He is able to crawl on his mink even backwards. He owes this ability to his tail. The small short tail has special hairs that perform the function of touch.
Moles love to settle in areas located near a forest or a river. Therefore, they are most often affected by those summer residents who choose land in picturesque places.
During the day, one mole can increase its underground system by 15-30 meters. The animal feeds mainly on insects and their larvae, as well as on earthworms. Moreover, a mole can eat even a small mouse, a frog or its own cub, but this applies only to males. The animal does not accumulate fat reserves, and consumes a lot of energy, so the animal can eat as many insects and worms as it weighs per day. But the plant does not feed the animal. None So if the roots are suddenly bitten, then this is definitely not a mole.
But the sense of smell in these animals, as opposed to vision, is incredibly developed. They find prey precisely by smell. By the way, many methods of fighting moles are built on this, but more on that later.
What is dangerous to a mole?
The smoothest lawn begins to resemble the battlefield of Borodino, if a mole appears on the site. The most obvious trouble is the tunnels and pits left by animals. The beds, flower beds, paths after them ruined. In addition, the plants begin to die if the root falls into the mole course and remains hanging without support. The soil becomes poor worms, useful insects are destroyed. And then the logical question arises: how to get rid of moles in the garden?
However, it should be noted that the moles themselves are insectivorous, that is, they do not gnaw the roots of plants. If they are gnawed, then these are either shrew mice running along mole paths, or blind dogs. In addition, moles are not parasites, but, on the contrary, quite useful animals, because as a result of their activity soil aeration is improved and the number of insects is regulated. So, choosing a way to get a mole out of the garden, it is better to think about humane methods.
What attracted a mole?
For moles, the areas cultivated by people represent simply the Garden of Eden. First, a soft, re-excavated earth, which makes it easier for the animal to build underground tunnels. Secondly, the abundance of larvae, worms and mice - the one that feeds the mole in the garden. Thirdly, there are no dangerous predators near people, and this “friend” is able to scare away pets with a specific smell.
But before looking for a cure for a mole in the garden, it makes sense to see if there are any additional factors contributing to such an unpleasant neighborhood. For example, landfill sites located close to the surface. This object attracts worms and larvae, and with them moles.
How to catch a mole in the garden?
Here we come to the most interesting - the capture of an amateur to lay underground labyrinths.
Summer residents know how much harm a mole in a kitchen garden brings. How to get rid of it with humane methods? You can catch the animal and release in the nearby forest. You should not transfer an animal to a neighboring plot, because moles in search of food all the time are trying to expand their possessions, which means that after a while they will move from their neighbors to the nearest territory.
Catching a mole is quite problematic, as it rarely comes to the surface. But there are certain ways. Sometimes they try to use them to fight these animals, but it helps in isolated cases. Although sometimes veterans of wars with moles argue that there is no better way to get rid of the misfortune, except to catch a mole in the garden.
- If you notice (especially early in the morning) how someone digs up the ground, then you can quickly stick a shovel into this place and pull out the beast. You need to be careful, as moles can bite hard.
- Catching on the hook. A wire is taken of a length of 30-40 cm and a diameter of 1 mm. Also need triple fishing hooks. They are attached to the wire after 7-8 cm, so that the gear is at its very end. The second end should be bent in a loop. We insert the structure into the hole by hooking it forward, looping it outwards. It is better to insert a pin into the loop in order to prevent the mole from dragging the device into the ground. The animal will definitely repair the hole, since it does not like drafts and will fall on hooks. Next, the victim digs a shovel, planted in a bucket. In general, his fate is in your hands.
- Also moles can be caught with special traps. We will discuss this in the next section.
Fighting moles in the garden
The war of people against moles has been fought for more than a decade and not even a century. On the animal side - the ability to quickly multiply, live deep underground, not going to the surface, and almost high-speed digging of tunnels. At the same time, people invent the most sophisticated ways of dealing with them. However, a mole is quite useful for the nature of the animal, it is not a parasite, therefore it is advisable when choosing means and methods of struggle to pay attention to those that do not destroy the "enemy", but expel it. But more about that later. In the meantime, discuss the general points.
The fight against moles in the garden should begin as early as possible, before they have yet dug a large, extensive system of tunnels and rooms. When such a labyrinth is ready, its owners will all the time recover moves after falling asleep or flooding with water.
The best time to declare war is spring and autumn, then the animals are most active. And it is important to remember that most of the measures give a temporary effect, so that next year you will have to start fighting again. The animal near the person lives very well. So how to get rid of moles in the garden?
Folk methods of struggle
There are many simple and relatively inexpensive ways to get a mole out of the garden. Here are only the main ones.
1. Take a plastic pipe according to the hole diameter. The dwelling of the animal is excavated (usually near the heap), a section of pipe with poison is inserted there. The mole finds poison and perishes. The disadvantage of the method is that these creatures multiply rather quickly, and it is simply inadvisable to kill them one by one, since this does not solve the problem.
2. To fill in holes with water. But the fact is that there are plenty of rooms in the mole under the ground, and how effective this way will be - not to predict. In addition, we must not forget that an excessive amount of water will damage not only moles, but also useful underground inhabitants of the site.
3. Make a fence, digging around the perimeter of the fine-mesh grid. It should go at least half a meter deep. This is a pretty good way to prevent small areas, if you do not mind the forces. But first you need to expel the moles.
4. Plant more onions and garlic. Many methods of dealing with moles are based on the strong sense of smell of animals. This method helps well, although it gives a temporary effect. After harvesting, the moles may return. Also, these animals, it is not clear why, do not like legumes.
5. And moles do not like some flowers. They will leave, if you plant on the site daffodils, proleski, marigolds or capers euphorbia.
6. Pour and burrow burrows with something smelly - excrement or rotten fish gibles. True, then it will smell not only among moles, but also on the site. But whether the "heroes of the occasion" will be gone is unknown.
7. Loud music and firecrackers. A rather dubious way: it gives inconvenience to moles and people, and that's who runs away earlier - again, it is not known.
8. Get a dog or cat. Pets are happy to arrange a mole hunt. Many say that this method helps well, but in order for it to work, the animal must walk around the garden every day. Naturally, not everyone can afford it.
9. In the ground, 30 centimeters, metal pins are inserted, on which propellers or just cans are hung. You can also use tubular stalks of reeds or special tubes sold in stores. It is enough to insert a two-meter pipe about ¾ into the mole stroke at an angle of 45 degrees. Vibration and buzz are extremely unpleasant for the inhabitants of underground labyrinths. We can say that this is the best remedy for moles in the garden, if we consider exactly the folk methods.
This is a way of catching rather than fighting. Fixtures are installed in burrows that follow along any boundaries, for example, along a fence - these are the main passages. For a small area, 6 traps are enough. The main thing is to check them in time. It is best to work with gloves, since there may be a human smell on the product.
- The simplest trap that does not require preliminary preparation is a galvanized or plastic cylinder with two doors that open only inwards. The device is buried inside the stroke (as a rule, it passes directly between two molehills). It catches the mole, leaving him alive. The product is sold in the store, but in general it can easily be made by yourself.
- Wire trap. Always sold in pairs. These devices are also installed in the mole course. What is the principle of action? The trap in a special way, according to the instructions, is configured. Knife cut layer of earth, best in the form of a cone. It is very important not to bring down the course. The resulting hole should be of such a size that it was easy to install traps. After their installation, a layer of earth is put back.
After capture, the animal can be released to the nearest forest or to the site of a harmful neighbor. It is desirable, of course, to carry the animal away, so that it does not return back.
In the assortment of an experienced summer resident, who is already confronted with the problem under consideration, one can always find a chemical remedy for moles in the garden. But, as a rule, everything that relates to chemical methods of expelling and killing moles can kill and exorcise all life around, including plants. Thus, it is the most harmful and inefficient way.
One of the options is poison bait, but it’s possible to wait for such a clever beast as a mole to eat something strange instead of a tasty traditional worm for a very long time. And do not wait.
If you pour in any kind of poison of the mole, then you can easily poison the soil, and with it the plants, and domestic animals, and humans. However, there are ways that could easily be called folk chemical:
- A quarter cup of castor oil + two tablespoons of dishwashing detergent. Beat until thick and firm foam. Keep sealed. If necessary, add 2 tablespoons to the watering can, from the watering can pour the entire field of activity of moles, especially molehills.
- Detergent for wood + a quarter cup of ground red pepper + a quarter cup of castor oil. Apply the same.
Ideally, it is better to use them one by one, plus plant around the perimeter of plants that frighten moles, for example, the already mentioned onions with garlic. Chemical products should be used with caution, especially if children and pets often play on the site.
How to drive the mole out of the garden, while not causing inconvenience and without endangering yourself and loved ones? With the help of special repellents that do not affect a person.
First of all, they are good because they do not kill moles, but they create an environment that is completely uncomfortable for life. They are bad because they do not act immediately - the period of exile is about a month and a half. However, these devices are the most popular means of dealing with moles, and definitely the easiest. Its cost is from 500 to 1,500 rubles, the range is 30-40 meters. If the plot is larger, it is better to put several devices.
The principle of operation is simple. The repeller emits vibrational vibrations that are caught by sensitive moles. For them, this is a signal of danger, and, unable to withstand the stressful situation and constant foreboding of something terrible, the animal leaves.
If you do not have the time and desire to mess with various devices to combat the moles, you can use the services of professionals. There are special services that help get rid of mice, rats, insects. They know how to get the mole out of the garden quickly and permanently.
Doing prevention is always much easier than solving the problem itself. In order not to think about how to drive a mole out of the garden, it is necessary to take measures to prevent their occurrence, namely:
- dig a fence around the perimeter of the site
- plant mole-scaring plants
- make some simple scarers.
It describes a lot of measures to combat the moles, but it is important not to overdo it. These animals loosen the ground, eat slugs and other insect pests, so there is a benefit from them. Therefore, addressing the issue of "how to get rid of moles in the garden," it is important to remember that they do not do wrong. But if the animals have prepared you so that there is nowhere else, try to fight. Just remember: except to destroy the mole in the garden, there are other, more humane ways to fight.
Peculiar behavior of moles
Moles require adequate food to live normally. It is for this reason that the best option for these animals is settle near the garden at the cottage.
Among the main causes of the appearance of moles are noted:
- There are no natural enemies, since the predators of man’s housing bypass the party, and this pest needs it.
- Lots of food. Pests, such as worms, bugs and others, lay their eggs in the ground with the larvae. And this is for moles the best delicacy.
- Loose ground. At the same time, it is constantly moistened and periodically dug up.
Before you start fighting the moles at the dacha, you need to take into account a number of points:
- In winter, the mole is asleep. This pest digs a hole at a great depth. Here he arranges a small, warm and secluded den. You can identify it by a significant mound of excavated land. If it is not there, then it is possible to reveal the mink on the hills and humps, since the snow comes off them quickly and the mole heats up in the warm spring sun. Because you can easily get from the mink mole.
- Most often, where one mole is here, there is a whole family that reaches dozens of animals. Therefore, when you see a mole, do not forget that there is a couple more close by or not far from the first hole, or on the adjacent site. This situation dictates new conditions - you will need to destroy not one excavator, but a complete brood; you can only guess about its numbers.
- Keep in mind that pests do not have abandoned highways. Moles check their mines almost every hour. Therefore, even when you thrust a mine, it will be restored anew after a certain time.
- Moves, which moles dig up, are under the ground high-grade mines and highways, which can grow throughout the dacha for hundreds of meters. Underground halls in the depth of only 7-20 cm in the layer of fertile soil. Planted plants of avid diggers are not interested, they spoil the roots quite accidentally during their life activity. In a layer of soil, they destroy all worms, beetles and larvae. But only in pursuit of food everything that is located in this area suffers.
- The mole has quite powerful paws and a strong body, as they are constantly in motion, pulling out the ground. Attention: if you want to catch him with your bare hands, then it is unlikely to happen to you. The mole will simply burst out, may it scratch or bite you in addition. The approximate speed of movement of the animal under the ground - 7 km / h. That is why special traps and traps are used for catching moles.
- Attention should be paid to the fact that these animals do not like free space. Moles feel a certain insecurity, because quite rarely appear outside. And directly on the mines, the animals move pretty quickly, and to catch them on the move is quite problematic.
- These animals are real gluttons. Нужно лишь вспомнить факт того, что на участок они нападают большой семьей, роют быстро ходы, и буквально за пару дней наносят огромный ущерб.
- Кроты – это довольно разумные и осторожные животные, они не позволят вам диктовать правила и адаптироваться могут под любую местность. In case you use the same repellents or traps, they will easily bypass already familiar dangers. Since they have big problems with eyesight, everything is compensated thanks to the scent and hearing developed at a very high level.
So, given all these points, you need to start fighting with moles as quickly as possible.
Today, there are several types of mole traps, or rather models of the same type, which are small and inexpensive pipes with lids on both sides. These traps are not very effective. Mole manages to bypass them side because it discovers a new and alien item in the territory. There is a theory explaining why a mole is not going into a trap - the passages and highways have a rough earthen tunnel structure, while the walls of the pipe are smooth and the animal feels this difference.
Naturally, you can purchase large traps - they are much more efficient. These traps are specially made under the pest - the size of the pipe corresponds to the diameter of the mink, inside its walls are rough, and the installation of special valves will not allow the animal to be set free.
Therefore, if you find a pest in your garden, then do not spare the money and get an effective trap that the animal will not bypass.
Walkers and traps
With the help of traps you can fight with animals. Even despite the physical strength, this animal is unlikely to be able to escape from the trap. However, the question becomes - how to place a device for mole fishing in an underground tunnel? Since on the surface of the earth these animals do not move, and the gap moves, putting a trap in the ground, the mole will feel a foreign object and make a new mine. The same can be said about the gavel. If only you know exactly what routes the mole moves, you will probably be able to catch a couple of animals, but the problem will remain.
It is advisable to use mole traps. They are a trap made of wire. Hitting the spring head, the animal falls into the trap. These devices are put to a tunnel dug by a mole in two directions. In order to do this, you must first remove the top layer of earth near the burrow with a shovel and install the trap. In whatever direction the animal goes, it will certainly get caught in a trap.
Pay attention - it is necessary to put the trap only with gloves. Otherwise, the moles will sense a foreign smell and make a new underground passage.
These animals are afraid of a variety of loud sounds. Hearing them, the animal can get away from the source of noise for tens of meters.
In the role of repellers for moles are homemade noisemakers, plastic bottles, rattles. Device data You can buy in the store or make your own hands. However, animals may not respond to them in any way. There may be certain difficulties:
- You have decided to purchase a mole scarer. However, it is very difficult to predict in which direction the animal will go - the animal can go to your neighbor or to a completely different part of the garden. You will not begin to put a ratchet at every step.
- Experts assure that the installation of scaring noisy devices throughout the site and garden is almost impossible. Having frightened him from one part of the earth, the animal will transfer to another.
There is a theory - if you make a good noise, creating loud and harsh sounds, then these animals will leave your site forever. However, in reality it is difficult to imagine this picture - as you walk around the site and the garden for days, knocking lids, buckets, while blowing a whistle. This is not only ineffective, but also ridiculous - animals quickly adapt to these sounds and will feel quite normal.
It is also believed that the pests can be expelled using unpleasant odors. But the question also arises - are you ready to decompose rotting food debris or rotten food around the garden? The animals will bypass just the side of an unpleasant-smelling plot, but here the dump on the garden plot will let itself be known for a long time.
Folk ways to fight against moles
Our method is rather inventive, because there are also popular ways to combat these pests. We offer several options.
- To do this, you need to break reed stalks about 2 m long. Clean them from the "entrails" and install the tubule in the reed stem. Before the surface, you must leave an empty space, about 60 cm. Under the influence of the wind, they will begin to create sounds that are similar to howling in the pipes of the wind. Since animals have quite a developed ear, this sound is very annoying. After a week, the moles will leave the site forever. The same applies to turntables, which are made by hand. They need to be put evenly throughout the site. A simple tin can fits for this, it is tied to a stick or twig.
- More labor-intensive and most effective method. Rigid materials 80 cm deep need to be dug around the perimeter of the garden plot. Tin, slate sheet or linoleum are excellent for this. Due to the dense structure, they will not let animals out of neighboring gardens to your site.
- Plant a lot of garlic, onions, bulbous flowers, legumes and hot peppers in the plot. As they say, the smell of plants moles do not like. They will try to get away from this place, and leave your garden in a short time.
- Ambush with three shovels. Block the shovel with a mole passage. When the animal comes to repair the damaged passage, block the path of retreat with the help of the second spade. The third shovel dig out the animal.
- "Pot trap". If you saw a mole, you need to dig a can or pan somewhere in the center below its level. Directly the passage must be closed with something dense. The animal will fall into the jar and be trapped.
- Quite often used such a method as the flooding of underground passages.
If you somethinghad to to your liking, then you can try to scare away the mole with one of these methods.
Catching cats, planting plants and poison
You can also resort to other ways to combat these pests, such as:
- Plant malicious plants for the mole. Such plants as beans, hemp and black beans are excellent for fighting this animal. They have an unpleasant odor for the mole, and he will try to get around these places.
- Attract a dog or cat to the fight. This is quite an interesting and bold decision, however, only in the case when your pet is interested in hunting, and at the same time you did not poison the moles with poisons. Almost every dog loves to dig in the ground, and every cat, not distinguished by a high level of laziness, is interested in hunting. There are a large number of examples where these animals successfully removed the site from pests. You just have a question - how to make a kitty or a dog attack a pest? The answer is quite simple - you just need to watch the holes of the rodents for a certain time, and when you see a stir, move the pet here. The first prey is the best incentive for subsequent successful hunting.
- Use of poison. Today, the market offers a large number of types of poisonous drugs, with which you can completely destroy pests in the garden. Certain of these substances have proven to be completely useless in the fight against these animals, and certain ones have shown quite effective action. Before you begin to use poisonous drugs - by all means, read the instructions for use. Just some formulations can be disastrous for planting. Also use these drugs rather carefully - getting on the skin, the poison can cause significant harm to health.
Prevention of the appearance of moles
The best option is the fence throughout the garden, which will not allow the pest to get to the site. In the role of the fence you can try ruberoid, slate or galvanized steel mesh. They should be buried on the border of the garden area by 50 cm. Do not forget that the fence must slightly protrude above the ground. So the moles will not be able to dig a tunnel and enter your suburban area.
Summarizing the above, the most effective methods in this case are:
- You can use rigid materials instead of embankments - slate slab or linoleum.
- In the garden you can put small wind propellers, which will create noise and vibration, frightening pests away from the site.
- The creation around the perimeter of the garden area of the bulk shafts. Their depth must be from 40 cm. They should be filled with rubble and sand. Encountering this obstacle, the animal will not continue to dig.
- Place an additional electronic repeller on the site.
- Be sure to plant black beans or other legumes in the garden.
All these methods have their advantages and disadvantages, and you need to take into account that moles are not absolute evil. They can even be useful, because of their activity the May beetles disappear, as animals feed on their larvae, and the ventilation of the earth improves. Now, knowing how effectively to bring moles from the dacha, during the choice of the method you need to focus on the most humane ways, and it is desirable to release the caught animals free from the cottages.
Features of the life of moles
Most often in the suburban areas there are small moles from 5 to 15 cm in length. Gray, black and brown animals are a bit similar to vole mice. But, unlike rodents, moles move mostly underground, rarely leaving the surface mainly at night.
Moles live in families. Breeding quickly enough, the family can reach several dozen individuals. Regularly digging and straightening loose moves, moles will have time to dig up a plot of several hundred square meters in a short time. The network of feed passages is close to the surface and is connected by a system of tunnels.
Despite the fact that these mammals are considered to be insectivorous, they will not refuse from the tender roots of young saplings and succulent root crops.
A sign that moles have bred on the site are small mounds with a depression in the middle. The device of the earth-moving device of animals allows to dig tunnels only in a soft damp soil.
Ways to fight
Experts advise to carry out work on the fight against moles systematically. In the spring before planting animals can not touch. Small shrews will loosen the soil and destroy some of the harmful soil insects. But if the entire site is dug, then you will have to look for means to combat the moles in the garden.
It is important not to confuse a mole with a vole mouse. Rodents are dangerous for planting at all stages of development. They can destroy root crops, bark of shrubs and trees. Mice occupy mole passages, and it is much more difficult to drive them out of the lot.
You can fight moles in the garden in several ways. Most often it takes a whole range of activities to get rid of these small pests.
Pets are almost powerless before the invasion of moles. Dogs that are able to find a mole in the topsoil will do more harm than good.. Getting the guest, the dog will tear up the earth and tear up all the plants that will fall on the way. For cats, moles are unattractive. A pet can sometimes catch and kill a pest, but it’s still not worth considering them as a tool to protect the garden. In nature, only weasel hunts moles. She is able to penetrate the mole passages and catch them.
Traps and traps
In any hardware store you can buy traps of various types. In order for the device to be effective, it should be installed in artificial depressions across mole passages. It is necessary to check traps often enough to avoid decomposition of animals that have fallen into them.
The design of self-made traps is designed for the life and physiology of moles. Plastic or glass containers stacked along the course to a depth of 15−20 cm from the soil surface. The paws of animals are equipped with strong claws, with which they loosen the soil and advance. Getting on the smooth surface of the trap, the mole loses the ability to move and becomes helpless. It remains only to collect live or dead moles.
To avoid the death of animals in traps, you need to check the device every 8−10 hours. Without food, a mole can live no more than 14 hours, according to biologists.
Toxic chemicals against moles
The use of poisons to combat moles in the country is dangerous both to humans and the environment. Getting into the soil, many drugs dissolve and are absorbed by the roots of cultivated and wild plants. It is impossible to determine how poisoned the site is without special devices. Eating grown on such soil crops can cause irreparable harm to human health.
In specialized stores, you can purchase tools in the form of pellets, gel and smoke bombs to fight the moles in the garden. All of them are quite effective.
- Rogicidal granules Argus Garden contain bromodialon. This substance causes choking in an animal. According to the instructions, the drug is scattered in places of the largest number of mole passages.
- Argus-gel is produced in a tube and contains a toxic substance brodifacoum. The drug is produced in small quantities in feed moles. This drug, when eaten by an animal or in contact with its body, causes severe suffocation and the mole dies. The tool is used against rodents.
- Brodifacoum is also contained in the Russian Trap paraffin briquettes. The tool is laid out at the entrances and exits of the tunnels.
Using chemical poisons against moles and rodents, it must be remembered that the means can also kill beneficial insects in the upper soil layer. This will harm its structure and reduce crop yields.
When using chemical products to combat moles in the garden area, hands, eyes and respiratory organs must be protected.
The first mention of moles as pests of gardens and gardens dates back several centuries before our era. Since then, a lot of simple and safe tools have been found:
- Moles do not tolerate the flavor of some cultures. If you plant dill, rosemary, and sage on the plot, the moles will bypass this territory. Do not like many pests and the smell of marigolds. The marigolds planted in small groups throughout the site will rid pests and many insects. Celery root with a strong unique flavor is considered a good remedy for moles. The white root of the plant is good for humans, but unbearable for an animal. Do not like moles daffodils and lilies of the valley. If you plant these cute flowers along the beds and around shrubs and trees, the protection will be effective from spring to autumn. Odorous plants can be planted in various compositions, giving the garden area or garden decoration.
- Digging and plowing the site before winter and in the fall often helps to get rid of moles. Loosen the entire area is optional. You can handle only the places where there are signs of vital activity of moles.
- Water way to get rid of moles in the area is popular among summer residents, but is ineffective. With the help of a hose, water under pressure is allowed into passages dug by animals. The soil quickly gets wet and the moves blur. But to process all the tunnels is impossible. The moles that survived the water bath start digging new passages than do more harm.