One of the most labor-intensive vegetable crops grown on household plots is potato. The traditional technology of its cultivation is characterized by a considerable expenditure of time and labor resources, which causes many owners of cottages and gardens to sometimes refuse to cultivate it. However, there are a number of ways by which you can get no less, and in most cases a greater yield, and the labor of a person will be much less.
So, one of the highly effective methods of growing this crop is planting potatoes under straw. Despite the fact that many people are skeptical of this method, in practice this method gives a rather productive result, delighting its followers with a stable and good harvest. In order to understand the secret of success, it is necessary to tell about the very principle of growing potatoes and what micro and macro elements are necessary for this.
Potatoes are an interesting root crop, a feature of which is the growth of tubers around the seed roots. For the successful development of potato culture are needed in sufficient quantities of nutrients, of which the main is potassium and phosphorus. In addition, soil aeration plays a big role, since due to the penetration of air into the soil, the culture develops strong and strong. Planting potatoes under straw provides the necessary microclimate, since as a result of the gradual decomposition of straw, potash fertilizers are released, and excellent air exchange under the straw favors the setting of a large number of new tubers. At the same time, straw plays the role of a wonderful mulch, which protects the soil on hot summer days from overheating, and after the rain also retains moisture on the soil surface, preventing it from eroding and evaporating.
By the way, planting potatoes under straw is by no means a new way of growing root crops, since this technique was widely used by the peasants of our country in the 19th century. However, during the spread of the Michurin doctrine in the USSR, this method was undeservedly forgotten, and people began to grow potatoes in the way we see today. The only difficulty in growing potatoes in straw is the need to stock up a large amount of straw, since for the normal development of tubers, its layer must be at least 10 cm.
The adherents of the traditional potato cultivation technology also do not stand still in their development, but gradually master new methods that greatly facilitate the cultivation of this crop even by conventional methods. Thus, the popularity of such a method as planting potatoes for a walker is gradually increasing, making the work of a person much easier. With the help of a motor cultivator, even an average power, on which a special milling cutter is installed, you can plant potato tubers yourself, without spending much effort. Today, in the free market you can buy not only benzokulvatora, but also powerful enough tillers, with the help of which it is possible to plant even a potato field in 1 hectare. Thus, it can be noted that planting potatoes under straw on such a large area is impossible due to the lack of covering material. However, planting potatoes with a walker on 1 hectare is quite possible and fully justifies itself both in terms of productivity and in terms of time management.
Thus, summing up, it should be concluded that if the landing area for growing potatoes exceeds 20 acres, it is best to use a motor-cultivator. If a person is engaged in growing potatoes in his summer cottage, the size of 4 to 8 acres, then straw is the most correct way in which you can provide yourself and your family with a good harvest.
Under the planting of potatoes allocate land where they grew siderata, cabbage, cucumbers, cereals, legumes, pumpkin, root plants. Undesirable predecessors are sorghum, sunflower, tomatoes, and other members of the nightshade family. At the site where potatoes were grown, it is returned after 3-4 years.
In the autumn, they dig up a bed and at the same time contribute 1 square meter. meter 5-7 buckets of humus or fresh manure, 15 g of potassium sulfate and 30 g of superphosphate. If the soil is infected with pests, pathogenic microflora, then organic matter, which is a favorable environment for them, is not introduced. Use only agrochemicals.
In the spring, when planting potatoes, a spot feeding is used, that is, fertilizers are applied separately by wells. For example, when fertilizing with organic matter, dry humus (a 700-gram jar) and a handful of ash are poured into the hole. If you opted for fertilizer agrochemists, then pour half a glass of bone meal and one spoon of nitrophoska into the wells.
Potato - heat-loving culture, it can be planted in the ground when it warms up to 7-10 degrees. If, due to the delay in planting, the soil warms up more, the potato starchiness will decrease, and its yield will decrease. According to national signs, the signals to begin the landing stratum are the blooming birch leaves, as well as the beginning of flowering of bird cherry and dandelions.
The most common methods of planting potatoes:
- Ridge - used in the cultivation of potatoes on heavy soils and with a high level of groundwater. Tubers are planted in ridges 15 cm high with 70 cm row spacing.
- In the trench, it is practiced in arid climates, as well as on sandy soil that retains moisture poorly. Tubers are planted in prepared grooves.
- Smooth implies a method of planting "under the shovel." wherein the tubers are planted in prepared holes.
Have rows of landings from north to southto provide good illumination of the bushes. Observe the distances:
- For early varieties: between rows 60 cm, between tubers 25-30 cm.
- For medium or late varieties: aisle 70 cm, tubers - 30–35 cm apart.
The depth of planting depends on the nature of the soil:
- clay - 4–5 cm,
- heavy and loam - 8–10 cm,
- light - 10–12 cm.
Depending on the size of the planted tubers, these figures may vary. For example, large tubers are planted deeper than small ones, but the deviation from the optimal parameters should not exceed 3 cm.
Traditional planting care Potato includes:
- loosening to a depth of 5–8 cm weekly before the emergence of shoots, at the same time weeds are weeded,
- hilling is performed twice in wet soil during growth,
- watering is needed abundant, but rare. Moisten the soil 15 cm deep. Unacceptable overfilling of beds,
- fertilizing is carried out three times: the first one is given during sprouting (1 tbsp. l. of urea per bucket of water), the second one is given at budding (2 tbsp of wood ash and 1 tbsp of potassium sulphate per bucket of water) and a third when the bushes bloom ( 1 cup chicken manure or mullein and 2 tablespoons of superphosphate per bucket of water).
The signal to dig potatoes is drying tops. Tightening with cleaning should not be: for a long time in the ground, the tubers lose weight and worse stored.
Digging potatoes in dry and sunny weather. At the same time, the tubers are sorted, taking away the damaged and diseased ones from the healthy ones. Before storing the potatoes, they must be dried, laid out in one layer, at a temperature of up to 20 degrees for 10-15 days.
Well-proven and widely used by both large-scale farms and private owners is the Dutch way of growing potatoes. Its use makes it possible to collect up to 300-400 kg of vegetables from one weave. And although, at first glance, it requires significant expenditures of labor and money, they pay off with high yields. After all, to get the same amount of potatoes with the usual method of cultivation it is necessary to process in two to three times the largest area.
It would seem that there is nothing fundamentally new in the Dutch potato cultivation technology, but unquestioning observance of the entire set of its requirements yields amazing results. These include:
- use of high quality planting material
- mandatory compliance with crop rotation,
- autumn and spring preparation of the site for planting,
- planting tubers according to a specific pattern
- compliance with the requirements of agricultural engineering,
- chemicals are strictly used to combat diseases and pests,
Selection and preparation of tubers for planting
One of the main conditions for the cultivation of potatoes according to the Dutch technology are high requirements for planting material. Can be used exceptionally high-quality high-yielding varietiesFor example, Condor, Agriya, Ariel, Eba, Asterix, Cleopatra, Rezi, Anosta, Romano. Tubers should be either the first or the second reproduction, in other words, the “super elite” or “elite” weighing up to 70 g (that is, about 5 cm in diameter).
Germination of seed should be one hundred percent. Tubers are germinated: for planting mechanically sprouts should be up to 5 mm long, with manual planting up to 2 cm.
For planting potatoes, they take away the area where they grew winter cereals. It can be returned to the same place not earlier than in three years.
In the fall, the area under the potato is dug up to the depth of the spade bayonet with the introduction of one hundredth: organics - 50 kg of humus or compost, superphosphate - up to 5 kg and potash salt - from 1.5 to 2.5 kg.
Spring spend milling cultivator or forks to a depth of 15 cm and the introduction of 5 kg of urea per hundred. These works are carried out immediately before planting the potatoes in order to prevent the soil from drying out, disruption of drainage and aeration.
Planted potatoes in the "mature" soil. The degree of readiness will be recognized as follows: a handful of earth is squeezed in a fist and dropped from a meter height. If after a fall the lump does not disintegrate - put it early, crumble down - it's time to start planting.
Tubers are buried at a depth of 6 cm, observing an interval of 30 cm between them. Planted in rows, located from north to south, with 75 cm spacing. The consumption of seed per hectare ranges from 400 to 1000 tubers.
Each tuber is planted with a handful of wood ash, compost and onion peel. Beds are filled with heaps of a 10 cm high and 35 cm wide ridge above the groove. One month after germination, it is filled with a height of 25 cm and a width of 75 cm.
When planting beds potato tubers are well heated and provided with oxygen, the bushes form a strong root system, resistant to diseases and pests.
0-14 days before harvesting cut off the aerial part of the plants. During this time, the rind of tubers becomes stronger, the keeping quality of potatoes increases.
To ensure good germination, seed potatoes are harvested a month earlier than food, that is, in early August.
Store Dutch potatoes in wooden boxes (not in bags) in cool ventilated rooms.
How to grow potatoes under straw
Compared with the traditional method growing potatoes under straw has its advantages:
- does not require watering - under the straw moisture is stored for a long time,
- weeds do not grow due to lack of light,
- loosening and hilling are not needed - just lay a layer of straw,
- the process of tuber formation and growth is controlled by raising the straw,
- in the same way, raising the straw, choose large tubers, leaving small to grow,
- after several seasons, the straw overheats and becomes organic fertilizer.
Planting technology and agricultural technology cultivating potatoes under straw is as follows:
- The plot for planting potatoes loosen ploskorezom. A row 15 cm wide, on which the tubers will be planted, is loosened to a depth of 10 cm and a trench is formed with a flat cut.
- The soil should be hydrated. Tubers are laid in the trench, and they are sprinkled on the top with the same flat cutter in such a way that a small mound is formed. After that, the row is covered with a layer of straw 10 cm thick.
- When the potato bushes rise above the surface to a height of 5–10 cm, straw is again laid out between them so that it covers them completely. Please note that the bushes can not be pressed down from above.
- Pest control is conducted in the traditional way.
The layer of straw should not be thin, otherwise moisture will not be preserved and it will not provide protection from weeds. Too thick layer worsens the heating and makes it difficult for the bushes to germinate.
Growing in bags
Summer residents lacking fertile plots have come up with the ingenious way of growing potatoes in ordinary plastic bags. Varieties choose early maturity: Svitanok, Bellarosa, Slavyanka, Shante and others.
- In ordinary bags of sugar or flour poured nutrient soil with a layer of humus from 10 to 35 cm.
- Tubers of potatoes spread on the ground and sprinkled with a 15-centimeter layer of soil. Bags are put in a well-lit place and keep the soil moist.
- In 8–14 days, shoots will appear. When the shoots reach 10–15 cm in height, they are covered with nutrient soil. This procedure is repeated until the bag is 2/3 full.
- Crop harvested in the second half of August. From 4-5 bushes collect up to 5 kg of potatoes.
With this technology of cultivation more attention is paid to watering. If the bag is very tight, it is recommended to make cuts below for access of air and runoff of excess water.
Using bags with valves in the lower part you can not only air the soil, but also remove large tubers.
After harvesting, the soil from the bags is scattered in flower beds and garden beds, where vegetables susceptible to common diseases with solanaceous crops will not be grown.
As you can see, it is possible to grow an impressive potato crop even in adverse conditions, using new technologies and agricultural techniques.
The basic principle of the new potato planting technologies listed below is to increase the distance between the bushes so that they get more sunlight and enough space for development.
Important! Regardless of the method chosen, potatoes should be taken out of the cellar approximately one month before planting and left in a warm room for germination.
The author of this method, the American vegetable and vegetable grower Mittlider, suggests planting tubers in narrow ridges up to 50 cm wide and leaving 75-100 cm wide aisles between them. Earthen rollers are formed at the edges of each ridge, which allow you to save water and effectively fight weeds. staggered two rows of holes along the inner perimeter. When between the holes should be a distance of 30 cm.
When the plot is located on a slope, it is recommended to use long boxes filled with earth for planting tubers. The new technology of planting potatoes on Mittlayder does not provide for hilling, but requires three times feeding of bushes and regular watering.
Planting potatoes using this new technology involves the formation of a multi-tiered potato bush due to multiple ground spills. To do this:
- mark the site into squares of 1x1 m for each bush,
- pour humus into each of them and take it away from the center to form a roller,
- fill the resulting space with loose soil,
- plant a large tuber in the center,
- add humus from the roller to the center as the stems appear and grow, as a result they will grow to the sides in the form of rays radiating from the tuber,
- repeat the procedure of adding soil several times as the leaves appear on the stems, until a multi-tiered bush is formed.
With regular watering and sufficient fertilization, each bush can produce up to 16 kg of crop.
Save space and time
For many gardeners, the issue of not only increasing yields, but also rational use of the territory and reducing the time spent on planting and care, becomes urgent. For such cases, you can try planting potatoes on the new technology in the straw and even in barrels or bags. Moreover, it does not have to spend time on hilling.
Growing in straw
With this technology, the tubers are not buried in the ground, but laid out on its surface, slightly deepening into the ground, and the top is covered with straw with a layer thickness of 20 cm. As the potatoes ripen and the straw is rotted, its new layers are enclosed. Straw provides plants with everything necessary for proper growth:
- protects from sunlight
- provides nourishment with organic material
- retains heat and moisture
- prevents the growth of weeds.
As a result, mature tubers lie on the soil surface under a layer of straw. To collect them, it is enough to raise a layer of straw. А недозревшие клубни можно оставлять дозревать на кустиках.
On a note! Выращенные в соломе клубни не нужно выкапывать, что исключает возможность их повреждения во время сбора урожая.In addition, they are always distinguished by the purity and evenness of the surface.
This method is suitable for those who do not have a large area. Suitable for planting potatoes:
- metal or plastic barrels without bottom,
- plastic bags
- deep crates.
Small holes should be made in the selected container to saturate the soil with oxygen and drain excess water. At the bottom, a “pillow” is made with a thickness of 10 cm from compost mixed with earth in a 1: 1 ratio. On top of it, germinated tubers are stacked (in a staggered order or in a circle) and covered with the same layer of compost-earth mixture. When the seedlings grow 2-3 cm layers of soil are re-added until the total depth of the layer reaches about 1 m. If you regularly feed and water the bushes, you can get more than 1 bucket of harvest from one container. And to collect it, it is enough just to turn the container.
New technologies in planting potatoes are very different from each other, so everyone will decide for themselves which option to choose in order to get the desired harvest.
Basic rules and recommendations
There are certain rules of potato farming, which apply regardless of the method of their cultivation. Compliance with these rules increases guarantees of excellent yield:
- Before planting, the tubers are selected. As a planting material, you should use only whole, strong and already sprouted, or potatoes that have swollen eyes.
- Potatoes do not tolerate frost, but strong heat is destructive for it. It is necessary to take into account these nuances when planning the dates and places for planting potatoes.
- The need for moisture in this vegetable depends on the stage of its ripening. Young shoots do not require a lot of moisture, and the already faded potatoes also do not need it. But during the flowering period the plant is very demanding on the amount of moisture, its lack will directly affect the yield. It is recommended to periodically water the bushes, at the rate of 3 liters of water for each well.
- Potato ridges are better positioned from north to south, then sunlight will fall on the plant longer, and the stems will not stretch, from its lack.
- As a feed for potatoes, it is necessary to use mineral fertilizers: nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. Gardeners often fertilize slurry or water solution of bird droppings.
- It is advisable to plant a root vegetable on one field no more than once every two, and preferably three years. Cereal, beet, cabbage or cucumber are ideal precursors for potatoes.
- Not suitable for potato soil after tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.
- The depth of the wells depends on the composition of the soil. The lighter the soil, the deeper the potatoes are buried in it. In loamy soils, it is sufficient to prikopat potatoes to a depth of 5–6 cm, and on sandstone the depth of the hole can be up to 15 cm.
Ways to grow potatoes
There are many ways to grow potatoes, from the traditional, on the fields, to the modern cultivation in greenhouses. Choose the technology you need, focusing on the goals. If you want to get a crop of super early potatoes, choose greenhouses. When there is no time and effort to dig up the earth, the cultivation method under straw is appropriate. If there is very little space on the plot, then choose the method of growing potatoes in barrels or bags. The main thing is to become familiar with all the techniques and choose the most suitable option.
Traditional cultivation method
This way potatoes are grown from time immemorial, it is constantly being improved, but the essence of the method remains unchanged. The method consists of several obligatory stages: planting, germination, leaf development, budding, flowering, ripening and wilting. That's how it grows potatoes in traditional farming.
Seed material taken in the process of collecting the autumn harvest. They take seed tubers only from the strongest bushes, immediately sorting them by size. Medium potatoes are ideal for planting. Seed potatoes are not carried away from the field, they are left in the sun, until they acquire a green color.
In the autumn, they prepare a plot for future planting of potatoes. It must be fertilized so that by spring the fertilizer has already burst and starts working.
Before planting, the nodules are germinated in a cool, bright place. To accelerate germination use peat or sawdust, which is poured tubers. When the tuber has sprouted about 1 cm, it can be planted in open ground.
It is well resistant to diseases potatoes, processed before planting 1% solution of boric acid. In this solution, the roots are soaked for 20 minutes.
Planted potatoes in the ground sufficiently warmed by the sun. This is usually the end of April - the beginning of May. The distance between the rows is left due to the fact that you have to spud several times. Between the holes should be about 30 - 40 cm. Traditionally, a handful of oven ash is poured into each well, as a mineral dressing.
Lack of feeding, as well as its excess can be disastrous for the plant.
Before potato sprouting it is good to carry out surface soil loosening. Usually for this purpose use a rake. This allows you to achieve the appearance of earlier shoots and destroy the weeds, while they have not yet entered into force.
Hilling is recommended to do twice. Do not be afraid to pour land during this operation. Many even completely fall asleep young shoots, protecting them from the spring temperature drops. The first hilling is carried out when the green shoots reach a height of 15 centimeters. The second time this procedure is repeated just before the flowering of the bush.
Planting method is recommended to choose, focusing on the composition of the soil. On heavy soils, planting potatoes in ridges shows the best results, and on light soils, a well method of planting tubers gives optimum results.
Holland is considered to be a country of excellent harvests. No wonder the Dutch seeds are in high demand. The Dutch potato cultivation technology has been very popular lately. It is also called growing potatoes in the ridges. The main feature of this cultivation method is soil aeration.
- To root got enough air and light, make the aisles wide, the soil is often loosened, and the potatoes are planted in the ridges.
- The Dutch method of cultivation has a strict schedule of actions. According to which the elite planting material is carefully selected and germinated. In spring, the soil is treated with urea. The ridges are located from north to south, and between rows should be at least 75 cm.
- Potatoes are planted according to the scheme: 30 to 6. That means embedding a tuber to a depth of 6 cm, with a distance between tubers of 30 cm, ash is added to the hole as a mineral dressing.
- Potatoes are placed in the hole so that the germinated sprout looks up. Dimples spud earth, forming ridges about 10 cm in height.
- When sprouts appear, the first hilling is performed. To do this, well loosen the aisles and fall asleep young sprouts of potatoes loosened with earth. Comb raised to a height of 20 centimeters.
Three times during the season they are obliged to water the potatoes. The main stages for watering are the time before, during and 10 days after flowering. Increasing the amount of watering may be due to excessive drought and abnormal heat.
Planting under straw
This way of growing potatoes cannot be called new; rather, on the contrary, it belongs to the well-forgotten old methods of growing root vegetables. The method has significant advantages, but there are a lot of disadvantages.
The main advantage of this method is that the most time-consuming part of the process of planting potatoes disappears. Namely, digging a field. Instead of digging the field is covered with a thick layer of straw. It is enough just to loosen the earth, to a depth of about 5 cm.
Under the straw, the potato feels great. It does not overheat and gets enough moisture. There are some rules of planting according to this method.
- The earth must be hydrated and quite loose.
- The layer of straw should be about 30 cm. If the layer is lower, it will not be able to sufficiently cover the potatoes and retain moisture in the ground. And if the layer is too thick, it will slow down the heating of the soil and the potato will not be able to climb for a long time.
- Potatoes spread sprouts up on a small layer of straw, no closer than 30 cm from each other.
You can use the combined method of landing. When it is planted potatoes in shallow trenches, sprinkled with earth and cover the top with a layer of straw up to 15 cm tall. Spud plant also straw. This method reduces the amount of straw and gives excellent results in the cultivation of potatoes.
The method of growing potatoes in the straw involves a significant reduction in labor costs. Such potatoes do not need watering, weeding and harvesting is possible, simply by pushing the straw apart.
But this method has significant drawbacks. The main enemies of potatoes in the straw are mice and rats, which are able to destroy even the entire crop. The second enemy put slugs. For them, an excellent habitat is formed under the straw and they are also capable of greatly harming the future harvest.
Growing potatoes in the tower
- Roll up the grid to get a semblance of a pipe with a diameter of 70 cm, height about a meter. Put down a layer of straw 15 cm downwards, put 30 cm high compost on it. To prevent it from spilling out of the mesh cells, put the straw on its sides.
On top of the compost, place the potatoes in a circle with a distance of 15 cm between the tubers. Put them in sprouts up, spill this layer well from a watering can or from a hose sprayer.
Place another 40 cm of soil on top, place the tubers, spill them with water, sprinkle with soil to a height of 8 cm. You can make this “nest” even higher. Place the potatoes on the top layer not only around the circumference, but also in the center.
In the process of growth of root crops, you will need to pour the ground, so make a “tower” of such a height that when planting potatoes, the compost is below the top level of the grid by 15–20 cm.
Growing potatoes in this way has many advantages:
- there is excellent drainage, so the water will not stagnate,
- the bed is well heated by the sun,
- pests won't bother you
- space saving
- weed these landings almost do not need,
- convenient to harvest.
There are enough nutrients in the compost for potato growth, but to form tubers, it is better to add 1 cup of ash and 1 tbsp to this soil when planting on 3 buckets of soil. l crushed double superphosphate. During the growing season, you can periodically feed potatoes with potassium humate, but a weaker solution than is written in the instructions.
If you do not have straw, replace it with moss, it perfectly regulates the water balance, will not allow the water to stagnate and dry up the soil.
New method of growing potatoes in a barrel
This method is also very original and has all the advantages that plants have in nests or towers.
To grow potatoes using one of these technologies, take:
- low plastic barrel or plastic,
- jigsaw or saw,
- fertile soil
- germinated potato tubers
Follow this plan:
- Mix the compost with light soil, adding 1 tbsp of this mixture to three buckets of this mixture. l nitrofoski. If you have a high barrel, cut it across the floor, remove the bottom, you will have 2 containers in which you can grow potatoes.
If one, you also need to cut off the bottom, so that extra moisture goes through the bottom. Or you can make the bottom of the hole, do not clean the bottom.
Put a 50–70 cm high ground into the container, spread the potatoes on top, cover it with a 10 cm high soil layer. When the sprouts that have appeared grow a little, put 5 cm into the ground barrel.
Keep the soil moist, as it can dry out quickly.
- When it comes time to collect potatoes, it will be enough just to turn the barrel over and extract the fruits of their labors from it.
If you do not have such unnecessary capacity, but there are tires from the wheels, they will also make an excellent vertical bed for growing vegetables. Place 2–3 tires one on top of another, fill in fertile soil here a little over half, place the potatoes, sprinkle it on top of 10 centimeters with earth.
If you have a high barrel and tires without holes, then the roots may not receive enough oxygen to grow. To fill this gap, make holes on the side of the container just above ground level.
Some gardeners construct a ventilation device. They take the old hose stack it at the bottom of the tank in a spiral, the upper end out. A pump is inserted into it, by means of which air is pumped into the interior of the tank. To do this, you must first make cuts in the hose.
In order for the compost to ripen faster, it also needs an inflow of air. To do this, with its tab, place it at different heights of the tube with holes, as shown in the following photo.
After all, to plant potatoes in vertical beds, you need compost, but it must be well ripened, similar to crumbly black soil. If there is not rotten plant residues in this substance, this mass is not suitable for growing this root crop.
How to plant potatoes in bags: technology?
This is another original way of growing this vegetable. It is suitable for those who do not yet have their own hacienda, and there is only a balcony.
To implement this method, you will need:
- black garbage bags with a capacity of 120 liters,
- synthetic dense bags,
- fertile soil
- potassium humate,
Act in this order:
- First of all, you need to germinate potatoes. To do this, it is a month before planting laid out on a bright windowsill, periodically turned. You can put several potatoes in plastic transparent bags, make holes here. hang up
To increase the yield, spray the roots with potassium humate. Make sure that the potatoes do not dry out during the germination period. If you notice that it is not so, spray it with water, cover it with plastic wrap with holes.
Pour into each bag or bag of soil to a height of 35-50 cm, spill it with a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Spread the tubers sprouts up, sprinkle with soil.
- If you grow potatoes in sacks in the garden plot, then make small cuts on the side and at the bottom of each tank for water flow and oxygen supply. If you have placed bags and bags on the balcony, then water your plants moderately, so that no extra water stagnates.
Also, do not forget to spud potatoes, so when planting, fill in so much soil that there is room for adding it.
So that the soil does not dry, it is better to mulch it.
If you grow potatoes at home, you may face the problem of lack of light, while the sprouts will stretch. Therefore, place them so that the sun was enough and tie the stems to the supports.
Growing potatoes in a drawer, waste basket, mat?
There are some more interesting methods that will answer the question of how to grow potatoes in a vertical way.
For the following you will need:
- metal grid,
- straw or moss
- fertile soil.
Measure the rectangle of the reinforcement mesh of a suitable size, cut off the excess with pliers. Roll the workpiece with a roll, secure the side of the wire. With it, fix the Vietnamese mat outside this fixture.
Fill the container in the same way that the compost was put into the tower-nest. Also, gradually lay on the edge of the potato tubers at a distance of 10-15 cm from each other. Moisten the soil well.
This design will allow air to pass through, which is necessary for the growth of tubers. If sprouts do not make good through the sides, help them by cutting out these parts of the mat.
Subsequently, it will be enough to remove it to harvest a rich crop of potatoes.
Such designs look original and simply amazing.
The following ideas are also suitable for growing vegetables in the balcony or in the country. For its implementation you will need:
- 2 plastic flower pots of different capacity of large volume,
- fertile soil
- Make a cutout in a small pot, place it in a large pot. Pour the soil, pour, spread the potatoes at the same distance, top with soil. If you take early ripe potato varieties, you can taste delicious young vegetables within 2 months after emergence.
To do this, it is not necessary to dig out all the bushes, pull out the upper container, collect only large roots, let the rest grow and pour on. Just do not forget after such a procedure to pour them to restore the injured roots.
Если у вас на даче есть ненужные доски, смастерите из них вертикальную грядку. Для этого вам потребуется:
- четыре бруска сечением 5 см,
- плодородная почва.
Поставьте четыре бруска одинаковой величины по углам будущего сооружения, при помощи саморезов прикрепите нижние 4 доски, таким образом закрепите начало конструкции. Then attach to the bars horizontally the following rows of planks. In this case, there are 6 of them.
The most convenient way is to attach three or four boards, then pour down the ground, plant potatoes, and then nail the remaining two rows of boards.
When it is time to harvest, just tear off the first-line outlets, and the potatoes will spill out literally in your hands.
Interesting methods of growing potatoes
They also exist a lot.
They say that this method of growing potatoes allows you to get from one tuber to 70 pieces! If you want to propagate high-quality seed planting potatoes, then use this method.
On the excavated soil, cut squares with sides of 140 cm, in the middle of these rectangles make holes to a depth of 10 cm, plant potatoes here, 1 piece in each recess. Pour on each square by:
- 25 g of superphosphate,
- 150 g of potassium salt and ammonium sulfate,
- one compost bucket.
It is all mixed up. When the sprouts reach a height of 20–25 cm, lay them on this fertile soil, sprinkle it on the ground by 8–10 cm. At the same time, the tops must be above the soil level.
As they grow several times, pour fertile soil here so that as a result Kobza will be formed, the height of which reaches 27 cm at the end of the season. They say that with such planting you can get up to 15 kg of potatoes from each bush!
- If the plot is virgin, it is difficult to immediately treat it. Use the following potato cultivation methods to facilitate your work and master a part of the garden area.
Right on the virgin soil, dig a hole 50 cm deep. At the same time, remove the upper part of the sod together with the weeds from here, put in the compost. For 2 years the roots of weed plants rot there.
At the bottom of this depression, pour humus or compost, pre-mixed with the soil. The layer of this soil should be 10 cm high. Water it.
To implement this method you will need:
- reed leaves
- window frames or thick non-woven material.
- Place the squares directly on the nekopanom site, sprinkled them with sawdust. Put some moss on top and sprouted tubers on it. Sprinkle them with ashes, put a thick layer of moss on top, and on it - some reed leaves.
This method is great for growing early potatoes. If frost is still possible, then cover the planting material from above with window frames, placing glass bottles or bricks under them so that they do not accept the fit.
When the threat of a return of frost will pass, remove the frame. If summer is rainy, do not water planting. If it is dry, then the moss must sometimes be moistened and slightly agitated if it is crushed.
Such potatoes do not pile up, do not weed, because weeds find it difficult to break through a thick layer of moss.
- When the time comes to harvest, simply tear off the tops, scoop out the moss that needs to be dried and can be used next year. On the beds will remain clean potatoes.
Almost by Mittlider
To plant potatoes using this method, take,
- screws or nails,
- light soil
- Pour into a bucket of sawdust 1 tbsp. l nitroammofoski, moisten with boiling water, cover. In this form, the mixture should last 2-4 weeks. During this time, make boxes without a bottom of the bars and planks. Their height is 40–50 cm, width 80–100 cm. The length is individual. Put cardboard overlaid on the bottom or black film so that grass does not grow.
Put these containers in a sunny place (or rather, immediately place where they will stand), pour in a soil mixture consisting of 1 part of sand, 1 part of prepared sawdust, 4 parts of fertile soil.
In crowded but not mad
- If you do not want to dig up a large area for planting potatoes, then use the following method of cultivation.
On a narrow bed 50 cm wide, make two grooves, the distance between which is 20–25 cm, plant potatoes in them to a depth of 8–10 cm.
When the sprouts reach a height of 15 cm, roll each one from only one outside. In the middle of you a trench is formed, periodically pour fermented weed infusion here. But such feeding must be done after the soil is moistened. If the summer was hot, you need to water the planting once a week.
According to the method of Mikhailov
- The following methods of growing potatoes will also help to harvest a rich harvest. Cut squares with a side of 1 meter, put the humus in the center, on top of it put a large potato tuber, sprinkle with earth.
We get two crops
To implement this method of growing potatoes, you will need:
Next, proceed in this order:
- When the soil warms up well, plant sprouted early potato varieties. In late June and early July, collect large and medium root crops from the bushes.
- Pour water into the wells and straight into this mud, straightening the roots, plant bushes. Spud them. If it is sunny, cover with lutrasil. Usually in a week they live and give another crop.
These methods of growing potatoes will allow you to get greater yields, while spending less effort and planting material. If you want to learn how to use the Chinese method of growing potatoes, then watch an interesting video.
If you want to learn how to plant potatoes under straw, thus excluding weeding, watering, making it easier to dig root vegetables, then check out the following video.
The third will show what crop of potatoes can be in the bag, subject to the necessary conditions for growing this vegetable.